The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

Great result for Alonso and AM.

I'm expecting an anouncement in the near future that Mercedes will revert to a more conventional side pod design.

Last edited:
Did that all happen yesterday morning? Couldn't write a better April Fools' gag!

16 minutes into FP1 at Baku, you can tell they've had 4 weeks off. o_O

Max doesn’t like being on the receiving end, does he?

Sulky little winnit!

Bit of a tedious race today, although, it's never lost on me that these guys are doing close to 210 mph at times, that's a spectacle in itself.

Last edited:
Bit of a tedious race today, although, it's never lost on me that these guys are doing close to 210 mph as times, that's a spectacle in itself.

An average lap speed of 210mph will not see you qualify at next month’s Indy 500!

Well, no right-handers!

An average lap speed of 210mph will not see you qualify at next month’s Indy 500!
It would be interesting to see what speed an F1 car could average over four laps, provided they were allowed to setup the car for one specific radius banked left turn. However given the emphasis on engine power coming from energy recovery and there being very little braking on a qualifying run, I'm not sure it would be a fair comparison.

More interesting would be a comparison of qualifying times at COTA, since they both run there on the same configuration of the circuit.

It would be interesting to see what speed an F1 car could average over four laps, provided they were allowed to setup the car for one specific radius banked left turn. However given the emphasis on engine power coming from energy recovery and there being very little braking on a qualifying run, I'm not sure it would be a fair comparison.

More interesting would be a comparison of qualifying times at COTA, since they both run there on the same configuration of the circuit.

The IndyCar is much slower. No carbon brakes. Much less horse power.

F1 1:36
Moto GP 2:03
Nascar 2:12
Indycar 1:48
MotoGP will get quicker if they fix the surface at COTA, it's pretty horrid according to every rider at the last GP.

I think it is difficult for us mere mortals to understand the forces that are going through an F1 driver at any circuit. Some of those g-force numbers are brutal. Mind you, the g-force that some of the bike racers experience on landing after a high side have been up to 30g. OUCH!

Not really enjoying F1 at the moment - might be better live but I'm not forking out for it! Shame really since I've enjoyed it for 50 odd years.

What I am enjoying is LH's attitude to not winning! Far from the stirrer's comments about him being completely p155ed off with it, he appears to be really enjoying racing rather than running off into the distance as he did before he got bent forwards over that barrel at the end of the '21 season. Obviously, he'd rather be winning but I'm pretty sure he's relishing the action in the pack.

Not really enjoying F1 at the moment - might be better live but I'm not forking out for it! Shame really since I've enjoyed it for 50 odd years.

What I am enjoying is LH's attitude to not winning! Far from the stirrer's comments about him being completely p155ed off with it, he appears to be really enjoying racing rather than running off into the distance as he did before he got bent forwards over that barrel at the end of the '21 season. Obviously, he'd rather be winning but I'm pretty sure he's relishing the action in the pack.

I know what you mean. I am enjoying seeing Alonso being the best of the rest.

I am just watching the F1 highlights these days. Really lost interest in it. The new regulations for last year looked like they were finally going to spice things up, but now it is just back to being a procession around and around and around again.

Have to agree, that was a bit mind numbing on Sunday. I'm not a fan of Max to be honest and seeing him win more or less everytime isn't doing my F1 mojo much good.

I'm hoping Sergio can take it to Max a bit more but it doesn't look like he will.

Could always pretend the Red Bulls are not there, then Alonso wins everything......I'm ok with that. (y)

Last edited:
Having seen a shot of what looks like the track, the only possible decision. Just hope they get everything to Monaco in time for the procession...

I love the look of IndyCars in super speedway configuration.

This Arrow McLaren looks as fast as it is (four-lap average pace of 233.528mph).

IMG_2458.jpg

With there being 34 entries, qualifying was worth sticking with for the full thing yesterday, especially as the track didn't change much over the full duration.

I love this day! Monaco GP and the Indy 500.

McLaren have a special livery to celebrate winning the triple crown. 2 of their cars have qualified in the top 5 at Indianapolis.

IMG_2462.jpeg

The Indy 500 has been red-flagged with 14 laps to go. The drivers are ok, the worry is what damage a wheel that went over the catch fencing has done.

That was a pretty wild last 10 laps.
Watching that incident my first thought was "where is that wheel going?" because it was immediately apparent the trajectory was carrying it over the catch fencing, at 200mph. There was a lot of luck in where it landed.

Indycar lacking a green-white-chequered rule, I was glad they put out the red when they did to allow a competitive finish.

Watching that incident my first thought was "where is that wheel going?" because it was immediately apparent the trajectory was carrying it over the catch fencing, at 200mph. There was a lot of luck in where it landed.

Indycar lacking a green-white-chequered rule, I was glad they put out the red when they did to allow a competitive finish.

The in car footage from Kirkwood’s car was mad. The guy had no way of avoiding Rosenqvist.

View: https://BANNED/indycar/status/1662928640534024192?s=61&t=_yhrLhEP-2Lxnd_fkmB1sg

One of the things I miss from the IndyCar circuit is the move away from super speedways.
Bring back Michigan and Fontana I say!

Well, Mercedes improved somewhat this weekend, but benefitted massively from Aston being so off it, and Ferrari being Ferrari as usual. Perez' claims to be a contender took a big hit; he was outdriven by Russel in an inferior car. That's not good. I feel a bit sorry for him; the realisation he is just a number two driver must be hard to accept. Some drivers (Coulthard, Bottas, Barrichello, Webber) are happy with this position; they know they're not great, but they're happy to just be there and pick up the odd win here and there. Those who cannot accept this, tend to suffer (Ricciardo, Perez and also Webber at times). Webber at least learned to accept he wasn't on the same level as Vettel; the 'Multi 21' incident was painful to watch because you just knew Seb was thinking 'whatever, you're not as good as me, and you know it'. Perez has had his little ego flex, but now I think he'll have to fall in line and accept his role in the team, or he'll be replaced by someone who knows how to be a number 2 driver. He has to focus on not losing position to Alonso or the Mercedes drivers, in the DWC. Because if he does, then I think that could be the beginning of the end for him in F1.

It's a difficult one. A shame the result has to be changed but rule infringements shouldn't go unpunished.

I enjoyed some of the lower order battles.

What a farce today’s race was with all the exceeding track limits infractions.

The race result has just been changed.

Definitely need to do away with the track limit penalties. How about this idea - if the driver goes off the track, then he doesn't have any traction and loses time naturally, that is how it used to work.
Just let the drivers drive.
Didn't enjoy the race, the RedBull is too quick compared to the others.

Back