The G1.. finally getting appreciated?

i got rid of my d200 and all the lenses and i am very happy with the choice i made. i started a 365 this year and realised that i had only taken all my kit out once since jan 1st. mainly i used my smallest body (d40) with a 35mm f1.8 or my d200 with an old 28mm prime. a lot of my shots were taken with a coolpix (soon to be replaced with an LX3) because it was in my pocket...
i do not feel that my pictures now suffer in comparison with my earlier work, the quality of the G1 compares very well. i am happier now because i actually carry my kit in my pocket/bag and its not sitting at home gathering dust. i really believe that for my needs the less kit the better is the way to go...

Similar situation to above, D90-D40x, grabbed the 40x most of the time . . . small, light, convenient.

Pick up the G1/14-45mm this morning! I have sold most of my Nikon gear, but have a D5000 body and 18-70mm lens, why? . . . Cant get down and dirty any more so need the flippy-flappy screen. Keeping one foot in the DSLR camp for the time being.

Saw the opportunity to help my partner with the G1, she has restricted mobility, and uses a Canon A640 compact on a Monopod. The animated screen on the G1, low weight and super picture quality fit well with her photographic needs. I can look over her shoulder and help with settings and composition, a shared hobby in every sense:love:

CJS

Mine arrived this am, now off out to test it out !

Watch this space !

More cheesy sunset pics from me :)

P1000318.jpg

Thats an amazing pic, almost looks like a model.

Need to get my sh^h^h stuff together, find my mojo yet again and get things going.
New lens in the summer may help, either the 14-45 or 45-200.

Lovely pics....

Get up early to take sunrise pics and stay up late to take sunset pics, if they are on the same day you must be nackered:LOL::LOL:

Nice one oldboy - enjoy the G1. Never managed both sunrise and sunset yet!

Cheers Rob. You're welcome to try my 14-45 and 45-200. Got a new 14-45 for sale too - mate's rates :)

Last edited:
Heres one from the New G1 with 45-200m lens

and another one

Last edited:
Very nice mate...pleased so far, got the 45-200 mm lens on it at the moment, that is the idea to use the other two lenses on the GF1

Straight from the camera .....G1 45-200mm

Have a laugh on me :LOL: !!!! Thought the EVF was awful, so blurred, then I woke up and adjusted the setting and it is super clear now :bonk:

Sat here, G1, lens on, feels so small compared with my Nikon, and thats not so big;) . . . destruction book in hand . . . the battery has to charge:bang:

CJS

More cheesy sunset pics from me :)

P1000318.jpg

P1000290.jpg

P1000342.jpg

Now I am hogging both the G1 and GF1 threads - MUHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

(Sorry ;) )

Wow, those are really nice, especially the first one. You are so lucky to live so close to some wonderful locations - Morecambe & The South Lakes etc.. Keep them coming mate:)

Sat here, G1, lens on, feels so small compared with my Nikon, and thats not so big;) . . . destruction book in hand . . . the battery has to charge:bang:

CJS

As my old Dad (all 5' 1"off him) always said "Good stuff in little bundles" and" The bigger they are the harder they fall".:p

I have to say, I'm not finding the G1 destruction book that clear? . . . It is late and I have had a hard day at work. May be a good camera but I'm glad I'm not new to this 'Photography malarkey', I would be all at sea . . . !

CJS

I've not looked at the G1 manual yet but the GF1 one is almost unreadable - I gave up pretty quickly.

Had another go at the manual today, during quiet periods at work. I found it works better to dip into the middle pages where they tell you how to set the various options and functions. A page at a time, read a few times . . . it would have helped to have the camera with me:shrug: The translation is a bit strange but one will get there??

I think I will keep Hazel on the 'iAuto' for the time being:thinking:

Picked up on the digital zoom x2-x4, never tied d'zoom before, have been told it compromises on picture quality, any one had a go?

The bigest problem is the lack of an alphabetical 'index', very frustrating:bang:

CJS

Last edited:
Digital zoom is basically just the same as cropping a picture afterwards - pretty pointless to do in camera imo.

Anyone usinga screen protector on their G1? Or would it not work with the flippy screen?

Got a dilema...

I have enough cash from ebaying my old camera (and a few other things) to buy a new lens...

20mm 1.7 prime, or the 45-200mm ?

I already have a (very) good 20mm lens in the kit 14-45, but the prime is awesome. A 400mm (35mm equivalent) zoom is very handy though, and the airshow season is rapidly approaching.

I expect I will end up with both, but which first ?

Grum, will comment on both and give you a good view. I have the 20mm and of all my lenses it is probably the one I use the least.

From what I have heard the IQ on the 45-200 falls off from around 150.

I too find the manual frustrating:bang: Wanted to check on the stablization mode, flipped thry the manual twice and still couldn't find the info and gave up:crying: Good job I also use a LX3, very similar menus system, so I set the stablization mode to mode 2 ie only comes on when press shutter button.

I always put a lcd screen protector film on the lcd on all my cameras from day one:clap: I use a 3" film but it does not cover the entire lcd area though.

From what I have heard the IQ on the 45-200 falls off from around 150.

yeah, I have read that too, although that would probably be the last thing making my images look bad :thinking:

yeah, I have read that too, although that would probably be the last thing making my images look bad :thinking:

Dont forget you are dealing with a 2x crop factor so you are actually considering a 90-400. Even with image stabilisation it will be tricky to avoid an element of camera shake unless you are shooting at really fast shutter speeds and as the lens is quite slow anyway this is unlikely.

The longest lens I have got on the Panasonic is a Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 which is manual focus.

With all these lenses available I found it important to try and work out what type of pictures you take as its pointless having a lens sitting on the shelf for 364 days a year (unless you have loads of cash!)

Good point !

Landscapes and abstract photography are my bag at the moment, so I guess the 20mm makes the most sense for now. The bokeh in 20mm shots that I have seen is fantastic.

I also have a Raynox DCR-250 that I need to experiment with for macro.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Good point !

Landscapes and abstract photography are my bag at the moment, so I guess the 20mm makes the most sense for now. The bokeh in 20mm shots that I have seen is fantastic.

I also have a Raynox DCR-250 that I need to experiment with for macro.

Cheers,
Daniel.

I would say get the 20mm for abstract, I have found a good tripod is the key to decent landscape shots - might be worth the investment.

I would say get the 20mm for abstract, I have found a good tripod is the key to decent landscape shots - might be worth the investment.

Thanks Richie (y)

I have a cheap-ish Velbon which is OK if it's not too windy, but a decent one (probably Redsnapper) with a ball head is the next purchase, after the lens. I will be taking a gorillapod on hols though - Ryanair baggage allowance is a pathetic 15kg :thumbsdown: and I am bound to need some of that for the wife's shoes !

Time to get a few more goodies on ebay.

I would say it's true that the quality drops off above around 150mm, though it is still sometimes possible to get sharp shots above this - it seems a little pot luck handheld. I think the IS is possibly a little sketchy at those lengths.

As Richie says you need quite fast shutter speeds/good light for it to really work well at longer lenghts.

This was taken at 200mm handheld (1/200, ISO 400, 5.6), and is fairly heavily cropped. Not amazing but looks not bad to my eyes.

P1000348.jpg

I'm still definitely glad I got it - I don't think it's as good as the other kit lenses though. I love the 20mm with my GF1 cos I can take it everywhere in my pocket, for the G1 I dunno if it's as essential because the camera is bigger anyway.

Last edited:
By the way, I handles a 1D mk4 today. Lovely camera, but too big and too heavy for enjoyable hobbyist togging. I have no need for anything other than a good central focus point, AE lock on a half shutter, and a decent final image quality.

As I see it, I've embraced the digital age with the G1... lens correction, CA removal and MTF augmentation in camera. Add that to a Lightroom/Tiffen postprocessing, and it's far more than capable of pulling up the shots I envisage.

I'm agreeing more and more with Ken Rockwell these days. Minimal gear, maximal idea. If I was to repurchase an SLR [and I'm not, not for the moment], it'd be a D5000 with a 35mm prime.

By the way, I handles a 1D mk4 today. Lovely camera, but too big and too heavy for enjoyable hobbyist togging. I have no need for anything other than a good central focus point, AE lock on a half shutter, and a decent final image quality.

As I see it, I've embraced the digital age with the G1... lens correction, CA removal and MTF augmentation in camera. Add that to a Lightroom/Tiffen postprocessing, and it's far more than capable of pulling up the shots I envisage.

I'm agreeing more and more with Ken Rockwell these days. Minimal gear, maximal idea. If I was to repurchase an SLR [and I'm not, not for the moment], it'd be a D5000 with a 35mm prime.

Agree what I still cant get my head round is why I get better images from my Panasonics than I ever did with my D300 :D

Oh im so pleased you made this thread, ive had my G1 for over a year and people arent really that favourable of it over canon and nikon but i absolutely love it, i think its great its lightweight, the functions are great, i love m43rds, can you tell i like it a little! hehe.
Ive got the 14-45 kit lens and the 45-200mm i love both but the 14-45mm is so versatile but i found the other is amazing for people watching and for depth of field.
The next i want is the 20mm and ive heard fantastic things about this! All the pictures on my blog below are taken with my G1 and even looking to get a 2nd :D

Oh im so pleased you made this thread, ive had my G1 for over a year and people arent really that favourable of it over canon and nikon but i absolutely love it, i think its great its lightweight, the functions are great, i love m43rds, can you tell i like it a little! hehe.
Ive got the 14-45 kit lens and the 45-200mm i love both but the 14-45mm is so versatile but i found the other is amazing for people watching and for depth of field.
The next i want is the 20mm and ive heard fantastic things about this! All the pictures on my blog below are taken with my G1 and even looking to get a 2nd :D

Hello from another G1 owning Bournemouth-ite :wave:

Daniel.

Hi Daniel, :wave: Theres quite a few local people on this forum!! Do you live in bournemouth or outside of? Whats your favourite spot to photograph in?? im really looking for new places to go and take portraits :D

have put my Panasonic Leica 45mm Macro back up for sale if anyone is interested under classifieds. Cracking lens for both the GF1 and G1 and it AF's as well

Thats radical 'dandroad', agreeing with 'KR' . . . :naughty: But yes, I too agree, minimum kit, back to basics is the way.

I have sold most of my Nikon kit, however I retained a 70-300 (air shows) and a 50mm lens (macro with tubes), purchased a D5000 body as my 'handy Nikon' and fitted an old 18-70 kit lens (D5000 is a D90 in sheep's clothing!). The D5000 seems to do a better job:shrug: lighter and fits in my man bag:LOL:

The G1 was purchased for my partners use . . . :naughty: thats my story and I'm sticking to it:LOL: We get over any shake (Hazel has problems) by using a 'Hiking Stick Monopod'.

'Why does the G1 take better pics than the D300'? I thought the same about the D5000 over the D90, I have no rational explanation, although I have a theory that I'm going to look at when I finally get my head around the G1.

Grum, the bird picture looks to me like its down on colour dynamics? A little bit of tweaking in colour curves would probably help? . . . . Yep, just tried it, plus a little sharpen seems to do it for me(y)

CJS

More birding...

P1000217.jpg

P1000229.jpg

Not stunningly sharp at 200mm but not bad for handheld in not particularly good light.

There is a 45-200 for sale over in the classifieds btw.

Last edited:
Back