The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

Well, I didn't impulse buy anything today at the show. Traded in my Canon 35mm and will be getting that soon and then double cashback; some bits and bobs but nothing that wasn't on list. I am giving myself a gold star! My wife gave me some gloves from Rohan - very happy bunny!
Nice try. That's denial in the N'th degree. I certainly did a list of what to buy but won't deny it was still an act of GAS :D
Now I feel a calm satisfactory emptiness kind of a freedom to go shoot and work with my images. A strange shift of mental focus to compositions and possible subjects and a weird urge to do photography,.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out on Saturday to Park Cameras for 2.0X Tcon and came home with another 1dx2.
Does that count as GAS?

Went out on Saturday to Park Cameras for 2.0X Tcon and came home with another 1dx2.
Does that count as GAS?

Nah, sounds more like 'camflation' to me.....even more so if you also got the X2 TC ???

My ideal set up was full frame for my wedding set up..... Then I needed a back up..... So hankered a second identical set up.... Got that.. And have been happy with it for 15-18 months .... But my first love is always landscapes so then I wanted extreme quality and sharpness.... So changed BODY to the pro body in the range ..... First landscape shoot was perfect conditions..... Got home and the computer couldn't load the Huge file sizes so a laptop was purchased...... Get laptop home and switched on to find the program I used won't process the files from my new camera..... So monthly subscription to Adobe is required......

WHERE DOES IT END????

I went in planning to buy a manfrotto or something and bought a Gitzo, does that help?
I went planning to buy a Benro, however the guys on the Benro stand seemed a little less than useless in a) knowing the products b) having an appetite to sell me anything. I was looking at products and overheard one of the sales guys say to another customer "if you go and see ##### he will give you the 15% off the marked price". When they did finally get round to me they had lots of glossy brochures, when I asked the prices on the two items i was interested in, after 4 consultations they decided it was a discontinued line but didn't suggest any alternatives. So I went to Sirui where the sales person was so enthusiastic so got one of those.

My ideal set up was full frame for my wedding set up..... Then I needed a back up..... So hankered a second identical set up.... Got that.. And have been happy with it for 15-18 months .... But my first love is always landscapes so then I wanted extreme quality and sharpness.... So changed BODY to the pro body in the range ..... First landscape shoot was perfect conditions..... Got home and the computer couldn't load the Huge file sizes so a laptop was purchased...... Get laptop home and switched on to find the program I used won't process the files from my new camera..... So monthly subscription to Adobe is required......

WHERE DOES IT END????
Got 3 words for you. Capture One Pro :D

Nice try. That's denial in the N'th degree. I certainly did a list of what to buy but won't deny it was still an act of GAS :D
Now I feel a calm satisfactory emptiness kind of a freedom to go shoot and work with my images. A strange shift of mental focus to compositions and possible subjects and a weird urge to do photography,.
Harsh! My list was very low key: mounts, Fotospeed paper, a small bag that should have GoPro stuff but will have stuff like batteries etc when we go away, two filters (one replacing a scratched one) - not bad! I resisted a new lens and body. :clap:

I went planning to buy a Benro, however the guys on the Benro stand seemed a little less than useless in a) knowing the products b) having an appetite to sell me anything. I was looking at products and overheard one of the sales guys say to another customer "if you go and see ##### he will give you the 15% off the marked price". When they did finally get round to me they had lots of glossy brochures, when I asked the prices on the two items i was interested in, after 4 consultations they decided it was a discontinued line but didn't suggest any alternatives. So I went to Sirui where the sales person was so enthusiastic so got one of those.

Is this the American guy? I think I encountered him, he seemed to know next to nothing about their line up.

Harsh! My list was very low key: mounts, Fotospeed paper, a small bag that should have GoPro stuff but will have stuff like batteries etc when we go away, two filters (one replacing a scratched one) - not bad! I resisted a new lens and body. :clap:
Yeah and I resisted a new frying pan and spatula :D I hope youre aware this is lighthearted teasing not to be taken personal or seriously ;)

Is this the American guy? I think I encountered him, he seemed to know next to nothing about their line up.

its not changed from last year.... I hankered over a quality ballhead for my Benro legs and was told to goto the Cameraworld stand as it would be cheaper and when I approached said stand was sworn at and told theyd dropped a testicle (Benro) and cameraworld couldn't better the price... and hed been approached loads of times that day and he was getting really upset about it....

so I bought a 3LT Airhead instead.... Its a real shame as the Benro product is BRILLIANT!!!!

its not changed from last year.... I hankered over a quality ballhead for my Benro legs and was told to goto the Cameraworld stand as it would be cheaper and when I approached said stand was sworn at and told theyd dropped a testicle (Benro) and cameraworld couldn't better the price... and hed been approached loads of times that day and he was getting really upset about it....

so I bought a 3LT Airhead instead.... Its a real shame as the Benro product is BRILLIANT!!!!

I think a lot of the stands there were just display only. Gitzo ddint' stock anything either and they pointed me to WEX and one other. They gave me the list price of £899 and said they can do 15% off. I knew online price at Amazon is £599 so I went to to WEX armed with this knowledge and page on my phone and was prepared to ask them to price-match, luckily WEX already list this at £599 so no need to haggle.

I did get the AD200 at the Godox stand though but they had no bags. Wex didn't have a bag large enough for a tripod (albeit a small one). I saw a ton of people walking around with Nikon bags but none with Canon bags. I don't think Canon was selling anything in their stand? I noticed that 3LT also had a store next to their stand.

It was. I didn't realise that Benro was part of a larger group that includes Tenba.

There are many stands where they know their stuff (Peak Design / 3LT/Surui) but on the flip side there are those that don't seem to be there to actually bothered about selling stuff, presumably because (like Manfrotto/Gitzo) what they can shift at the show is pittance compared to their annual turnover so they are just there to show shiny stuff.

It was. I didn't realise that Benro was part of a larger group that includes Tenba.

There are many stands where they know their stuff (Peak Design / 3LT/Surui) but on the flip side there are those that don't seem to be there to actually bothered about selling stuff, presumably because (like Manfrotto/Gitzo) what they can shift at the show is pittance compared to their annual turnover so they are just there to show shiny stuff.

Had a quick look at Peak Design. First time that I actually seen one of their bags in person.

Couple of things reaffirmed my suspicion.

1 - The fabric they use do feel cheap. They might be engineered to last but I can't help that it feels really cheap.
2 - The opening latch thing is not secured at all, all these videos shows it just stays on but I got it opened so easily.

Interesting that someone else didn’t like their camera world experience. I was looking for an SD card and a 32GB CFast card. He said he had no 32GB CFast and tried to get me to buy a 64GB card and then said he only had one SD 32GB and tried the same thing again - He was abrupt and pushy - and then tried to sell me 3 packets of lens cleaners for £10. Nobody else quite like them that I came across and I realised later that a couple of years ago they promised to do something for me (after they had my £, not a lot to be fair) and never did and didn’t respond to emails either. I won’t be visiting their stand again in a hurry.

Last edited:
Interesting that someone else didn’t like their camera world experience. I was looking for an SD card and a 32GB CFast card. He said he had no 32GB CFast and tried to get me to buy a 64GB card and then said he only had one - He was abrupt and pushy - and then tried to sell me 3 packets of lens cleaners for £10. Nobody else quite like them that I came across and I realised later that a couple of years ago they promised to do something for me (after they had my £, not a lot to be fair) and never did and didn’t respond to emails either.

I much prefer WEX, even though i bought my A7III from Camera World last year.

Plus, WEX takes Amex and CW do not, that's a lot of points gone to waste!

Yeah and I resisted a new frying pan and spatula :D I hope youre aware this is lighthearted teasing not to be taken personal or seriously ;)
Yes of course. The whole thread is meant to be like that. I am trying to persuade myself that I don’t need to go back tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Had a quick look at Peak Design. First time that I actually seen one of their bags in person.

Couple of things reaffirmed my suspicion.

1 - The fabric they use do feel cheap. They might be engineered to last but I can't help that it feels really cheap.
2 - The opening latch thing is not secured at all, all these videos shows it just stays on but I got it opened so easily.
Sort of agree that the fabric is unique but having taken one of mine out into the "field" quite a bit they are hard wearing and of course Peak Design do have their lifetime guarantee. Not too many will offer that. The two bags I have the latched to seem pretty solid. They only seem to pop open if the bag is overfilled and the latch is skewed into the catch.

Yes of course. The whole thread is meant to be like that. I am trying to persuade myself that I don’t need to go back tomorrow... :rolleyes:

I know that unless i can save more than £50, it's no point.

£12 in parking, £10 for food about £20 in petrol + a day off work.

Sort of agree that the fabric is unique but having taken one of mine out into the "field" quite a bit they are hard wearing and of course Peak Design do have their lifetime guarantee. Not too many will offer that. The two bags I have the latched to seem pretty solid. They only seem to pop open if the bag is overfilled and the latch is skewed into the catch.

I have had a Crumpler bag that I use for weddings for the past 10 years. The bottom of it has been on all kinds of surfaces, rain and dust and even sand on the beach. It's still like new so it has proven it to be durable.

What I was going to get is their tech pouch but didn't have long enough time to wait for a rep to have a look, I didn't know exactly which one it was.

Interesting that someone else didn’t like their camera world experience. I was looking for an SD card and a 32GB CFast card. He said he had no 32GB CFast and tried to get me to buy a 64GB card and then said he only had one SD 32GB and tried the same thing again - He was abrupt and pushy - and then tried to sell me 3 packets of lens cleaners for £10. Nobody else quite like them that I came across and I realised later that a couple of years ago they promised to do something for me (after they had my £, not a lot to be fair) and never did and didn’t respond to emails either. I won’t be visiting their stand again in a hurry.
I did get that feeling that they got a prime position as the nearest of the UK stores to the entrance and were trying to shift as much as possible either frm stock they had there or stuff to ship once the show was over.#

I have had a Crumpler bag that I use for weddings for the past 10 years. The bottom of it has been on all kinds of surfaces, rain and dust and even sand on the beach. It's still like new so it has proven it to be durable.

What I was going to get is their tech pouch but didn't have long enough time to wait for a rep to have a look, I didn't know exactly which one it was.
I was fortunate to have visited their flagship store in San Fran towards the end of last year and got to see their design / construction methods as well as their complete range and range evolution.

Last edited:
I did get that feeling that they got a prime position as the nearest of the UK stores to the entrance and were trying to shift as much as possible either frm stock they had there or stuff to ship once the show was over.#

I was fortunate to have visited their flagship store in San Fran towards the end of last year and got to see their design / construction methods as well as their complete range and range evolution.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I backed on their Kickstarter for their first strap, way before people even heard of them and I applaud their innovation and also customer service. I am just old school in that for the money they are charging, i like old school materials.

But you need to. Take one for the team. You gotta take into considerations how youll make the rest of us look if you show youre able to resist. You know that would disturb the cosmic order and then who knows what catastrophic events would happen

Oh, don't get me wrong, I backed on their Kickstarter for their first strap, way before people even heard of them and I applaud their innovation and also customer service. I am just old school in that for the money they are charging, i like old school materials.
like original war torn domke canvas?

But you need to. Take one for the team. You gotta take into considerations how youll make the rest of us look if you show youre able to resist. You know that would disturb the cosmic order and then who knows what catastrophic events would happen
:D Fortunately my post op knee is helping me with resistance; I am really tired today.

The worst thing I ever read on here was a way of rationalising spending money on gear. You take the figure you buy the equipment for, then minus the figure that you could sell it for in the future. The figure you're left with is the rental price of having that gear for a certain amount of time, which makes it feel like a bargain!

Case in point, I bought a Nikon 24-70 2.8 5 years go for £850 I think it was. They sell for around £700 now I think, so with those figures we can work out the following:

£850-£700=£150

£150/60 months=£2.50 per month

So with the information above, proceed with caution :LOL:

The worst thing I ever read on here was a way of rationalising spending money on gear. You take the figure you buy the equipment for, then minus the figure that you could sell it for in the future. The figure you're left with is the rental price of having that gear for a certain amount of time, which makes it feel like a bargain!

Case in point, I bought a Nikon 24-70 2.8 5 years go for £850 I think it was. They sell for around £700 now I think, so with those figures we can work out the following:

£850-£700=£150

£150/60 months=£2.50 per month

So with the information above, proceed with caution :LOL:

I once bought a Sigma 70-200/2.8 for a specific job, a theatre job. Did it about 4 or 5 times? £500 a time. £2500 later, 20% tax, £500 off lens. Traded the lens in later for £330. £1880 profit.

Or, don't buy it with money that you don't have.

Once spent, consider it gone, when you sell it then think of it all as money gained.

With over 100 camera lenses, in over 10 different mounts (plus other lenses to adapt) it's fair to say I've got GAS.
At least some of it gets used. I've finally got some worthwhile results from my Sigma system so 4 different camera systems have been in active use in the last year, with adapted lenses frequently used on 2 of them (MFT & NEX).
The film bodies are still dormant however. :rolleyes:

Despite having all this kit I'm still finding items to add to my wish list.:eek:

Last edited:
With over 100 camera lenses, in over 10 different mounts (plus other lenses to adapt) it's fair to say I've got GAS.
At least some of it gets used. I've finally got some worthwhile results from my Sigma system so 4 different camera systems have been in active use in the last year, with adapted lenses frequently used on 2 of them (MFT & NEX).
The film bodies are still dormant however. :rolleyes:
I tried going back to film in a moment of romantic madness.
Bought six grand of Hasselblad gear plus £700 film scanner only to realise I hated the whole film process.

Bought six grand of Hasselblad gear plus £700 film scanner only to realise I hated the whole film process.

That makes my film expenditure a bit more bearable.
My 5x4 was about £450, and none of the vintage cameras were over £30 - some coming with multiple lenses.

If I dislike the standard film processes I can always use the 5x4 to play with things like salt prints...

I walked past LCE a couple of weeks back and saw a MF camera, then i realise i am impatient, it is costly to run and also I end up scanning it which defeats the whole point.

I’ve re-entered the film fray over the past few weeks with my latest bit of gas. Got a great deal on a Contax T2 which goes everywhere with me. 35mm, Zeiss 38mm 2.8 and fits in a pocket. I’ve realised I shoot stuff all the time on digital and never edit it for my own stuff, so this is me thinking that I can get the look I like straight from using films I like. Whether that stays the case or not I don’t know, but if I don’t try I won’t know :LOL: I can sell the camera for a profit if I don’t decide that’s what I want but I’ve owned a Contax in the past and always regretted selling it.

I have decided not to go tomorrow which is an anti GAS victory!

Back