The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

I think you might be right :ROFLMAO:... then I could use my credit note at the Photo Show which the physio says I can go to if I take something to sit on.... :banana:

Last edited:
Mrs Chipper? ;)

It's an anagram of Nikon and a failed attempt at humour.
My apologies.
I assume this was a little dig at my love for Nikon, no other camera comes close, throw away that cannon rubbish and lets not even talk about these other fly by night companies, who make so called bodies half the size and twice the iq ;);):banana:

GAS GAS GAS!

I’m a long term sufferer. But...there’s nothing like a new camera to stimulate my creative juices.

After quitting sports photography I ditched my Canon 1DXs and big white lenses and went for small high quality kit (Leica). During that time I’d bought all sorts of stuff like softboxes, multiple flashes, radio triggers, light stands etc.

These days I’m very settled and don’t need any new gear. I bought a Leica CL and 18-56 and 55-135 lenses which is just wonderful. Plus a 23mm f/2 as well. A brilliant little portable kit.

But...I found a Leica T going dead cheap at £359 which takes my CL lenses, so I got that. It is a wonderful piece of kit.

I’d always liked the images from my Sony RX1 - some fantastic quality pictures from it, but the user experience was just rubbish. But there’s just something about a very small full frame single lens camera that is fantastic.

So...I recently bought a Leica QP. I am now completely satisfied and will never need another camera again for a bit.

Last edited:
GAS GAS GAS!

I’m a long term sufferer. But...there’s nothing like a new camera to stimulate my creative juices.

After quitting sports photography I ditched my Canon 1DXs and big white lenses and went for small high quality kit (Leica). During that time I’d bought all sorts of stuff like softboxes, multiple flashes, radio triggers, light stands etc.

These days I’m very settled and don’t need any new gear. I bought a Leica CL and 18-56 and 55-135 lenses which is just wonderful. Plus a 23mm f/2 as well. A brilliant little portable kit.

But...I found a Leica T going dead cheap at £359 which takes my CL lenses, so I got that. It is a wonderful piece of kit.

I’d always liked the images from my Sony RX1 - some fantastic quality pictures from it, but the user experience was just rubbish. But there’s just something about a very small full frame single lens camera that is fantastic.

So...I recently bought a Leica QP. I am now completely satisfied and will never need another camera again for a bit.

.....................unless its a Leica :D

Can't say I blame you though (y)

I haven't changed camera system since ... was it 1988? Might've changed bodies a couple of times (only) within that period, & lenses a few times more than that (searching for the 'ideal' bokeh) - but you get my drift?

The images that we make are both with the gear and despite it, aren't they?

You might have all the gear in the world and very little to say.

But I'm not immune. I've just ordered a new lens hood. A used one. Not petal-shaped - boringly plain.

Last edited:
I’ve never used a Leica. I wonder what it is like. I did pick one up at the Photo Show a couple of years ago. It felt good in the hand.

Ah well, it was bound to happen. A new lens should be on its way to me very soon..

Suffering GAS while suffering Justification/aversion to spending money is pure torture indeed....

I'm looking to go mirrorless, I've almost gone through the justification side of it.. And got my choice down to 2 camera's, but alas which way to go.....

Adding to the decisions, is not just changing systems, but once you've got used to using quality glass, your really don't want to downgrade.

So, I have decent Canon/Sigma glass, I know these will happily perform on the Cannon R, I wouldn't have to worry about batteries, have it uses the same has my 7dmk2 and my 5Ds... So very limited kit change.

The other camera is the Sony 7 iii, I've seen this camera in action, I know that yes I can use via a mount adaptor my FE lenses, but will either lose or have issues with some of the features that I do like, but the Canon R doesn't have.

In both cases, I'd be looking at having at least one native lens, so again and it's really only the Canon R, that gives a top kit lens with a package hrrmm,

I have a week to decide if I follow the plans, of seeing if I can get a reasonable deal at the photography show.

And boy, can the demons haunt, dreamt last night, I was out with my 5ds, sorting out the kit bag, the camera is still on the tripod, it falls and smashes to smithereens across the path!

Well, perhaps if you don't need to do anything about this yet, you could wait for the PRO version that is rumoured for this year... more torture.

I'm suffering a current influx of GAS went mirrorless about 18 months ago and have brought a few lens on whom without any real justification or much use, now wondering if to go back to a Nikon DX body and a couple of lenses and just work away getting the best from them. Many a time items have ended up in online baskets only to be removed.

Well, perhaps if you don't need to do anything about this yet, you could wait for the PRO version that is rumoured for this year... more torture.

Put the thumb screws on, why don't you :oops: :$

Joking aside,

This had been already suggested to me, but not sure partly because it's going to cost a lot more than the R, that's for sure and will the difference between the two, be based on additions that I wouldn't use! After all, on modern camera's there's a lot of bells and whistles that the manuafacturer tells you, it's a must have when in reality the only time you use them is when you test the camera out. In everyday use you don't use it.

Oh well, another 7 sleeps, that's if I can, before I have to make a decision one way or the other, or perhaps defer for a bit longer :)

I wonder which other interests/obsessions have so much interest in new kit - and I know it’s not everybody who suffers!

I wonder which other interests/obsessions have so much interest in new kit - and I know it’s not everybody who suffers!

To some extent, guitars. Although that does tend to be an upgrade path ending with the person's dream guitar(s) - let's say Squire, Mexican, American, vintage American (for Fenders).

Well, having spares is crucial. Unless of course you already have a mountain of them!

Hi, what is missing here, I think, is advice on what can be done against GAS.

My advice: practice PM (Photographic Minimalism).

I have done this for decades. My toys (taken with the Leica M6) in 1988:

tp-NO-0589021-2.jpg

Or, a small selection in 2013:

P2049767-setup-tp.jpg

You see, one can practice PM for decades. And I still do it today, without suffering. Anyone like me can do it.

Don't hesitate! Start today!

That looks like 6 Sony cameras or is this a very clever composite?!

That's pretty much how many MF cameras I've got.

That looks like 6 Sony cameras or is this a very clever composite?!

Hi, this was my basic SONY setup in 2013 for taking pics of garden animals. It was APS-C only. "FF" came later ... ---

I'm afraid I can't knock it. i'm suffering from a bit of GAS myself at the moment .... (see my thread in the Equipment section about a new 70-200 lens!!) ...

I have a perfectly adequate Canon 70-300 which does a great job, but somehow the new 70-200 f2.8 is calling to me from out there in the ether ..... Do I REALLY need it? (probably not) ... Do I want it? (Definitely ..... ARGH!!)

I must resist, I must resist .......

I'm afraid I can't knock it. i'm suffering from a bit of GAS myself at the moment .... (see my thread in the Equipment section about a new 70-200 lens!!) ...

I have a perfectly adequate Canon 70-300 which does a great job, but somehow the new 70-200 f2.8 is calling to me from out there in the ether ..... Do I REALLY need it? (probably not) ... Do I want it? (Definitely ..... ARGH!!)

I must resist, I must resist .......
Or you could go to the photoshow and see if there are any deals.., sorry that’s probably not helping. :exit:

WARNING! Never pick up a Leica! Very dangerous and proven to cause a dramatic onset of GAS.

Hi, the risk is not too great, if you stick to one Leica system. For the M, there are only 10 focal lengths from Leica. - And the Q2 offers a minimalistic solution ... ---

WARNING! Never pick up a Leica! Very dangerous and proven to cause a dramatic onset of GAS.
Reminds me of another Quote, something like " Warning: Handling a Hasselblad can harm your financial wellbeing" :)
More or less

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of another Quote, something like " Warning: Handling a Hasselblad can harm your financial wellbeing" :)
More or less
Don't get me started on Hasselblad.:love:

Well, my Oly 17mm f1.2 arrived today. :banana: . Very lovely. Wish the weather matched! I am anticipating a flood of confessions over this Photo Show weekend.

Last edited:
GAS takes many forms...

Just in the process of changing my Big Red motorbike for something smaller and lighter - the Rocket III (2,300cc) is going and a black Bobber (a mere 1,200) is taking his place. Sad to see the big bathtub go but I wasn't giving him the use he deserved. At least I should be able to pick the Bobber up if he gets dropped!

Well, I didn't impulse buy anything today at the show. Traded in my Canon 35mm and will be getting that soon and then double cashback; some bits and bobs but nothing that wasn't on list. I am giving myself a gold star! My wife gave me some gloves from Rohan - very happy bunny!

Well, I didn't impulse buy anything today at the show. Traded in my Canon 35mm and will be getting that soon and then double cashback; some bits and bobs but nothing that wasn't on list. I am giving myself a gold star! My wife gave me some gloves from Rohan - very happy bunny!

That’s a shame I was hoping to see some confessions.....only to make me feel better after I go on Tuesday....[emoji23]

Back