The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

Oh Dear.........it’s happened again.

just pushed the button on a Graphite X-Pro2 and Graphite 23mm f2......I need to lie down...... quick someone call a Doctor....
Seems you're allergic to X-pro2 so just send it to me and you'll recover

had a good event last weekend and used a lot of flash. Realised that my yongnuo flashes were slightly limiting and slow to recycle. Came home and ordered a 250 quid godox v1 + accessories kit and i suspect i'll be getting another in due course!

Isn't any hobby really all about GAS though? With me it was firstly fly fishing, then when I couldn't really justify any more gear I took up cycling and believe me there is a lot of GAS involved with that one. But again I can't really justify any more bikes or Lycra there (well actually I could :giggle: ) so I've had to come full circle back to photography which is great as last time I was "in to it" it was all film and manual focus so now there is a whole new world of justifyable gear to be bought.

So initial purchase of Sony A7ii and kit lens (let's cal it the seed from which the forest will grow) has been made. Accumulation of lenses interspersed with more reasonably priced "kit" is now underway. Only potential spanner in the works is the fact the wife wants a new bathroom but struggling to find a decent builder/plumber I am :ROFLMAO:

And if anyone can help me get my post count up to 30 or whatever it is to access the classifieds on here........?

A (used) Manfrotto 322RC2 grip arrived... Described on the Bay of E as "knackered with a sloppy ball", a swift Google lead me to a fixit video, so I made a cheeky lowball offer which was accepted. Sure enough upon arrival it did indeed appear to be knackered but after approximately 9.3 seconds (most of which was opening the case containing the hex keys) of application of a 3mm hex key the knackeredness and ball sloppiness totally evaporated.

Opps ! Nikon D3 :nikon:

I may be suffering from GAS, as I already have a DSLR and a reasonable Compact. Been thinking of more enjoyable camera to use, maybe a pre owned Fuji perhaps. I don't want to be spending too much, possibly something like the Fujifilm X-E1 / X-E2 or similar, depending on cashflow. I just fancy something for walking about with, in a neat package and with more user functions.

Bought a Sony A6000 + kit lens here last month for £250.

Liked it so much that I have just pulled the trigger on an A6500 + 18-135 + 35 + 50 + accs for £1200!

She Who Must Be Obeyed is sitting on the other sofa, oblivious. The question now is whether she finds out before I manage to sell the A6000 and unwanted lenses. Wish me luck...

Nikon 14-24 added to the collection.... Along with the obligatory bespoke and bloody expensive filter system.

I've got somewhat carried away since Christmas, 9 lenses brought so far with another 3 I'm currently winning the auction for!
5 of the lenses that are on the way I don't even know the focal length of o_O

I've got somewhat carried away since Christmas, 9 lenses brought so far with another 3 I'm currently winning the auction for!
5 of the lenses that are on the way I don't even know the focal length of o_O
I think your GAS attack is out of control; consult your doctor immediately! :D

I think your GAS attack is out of control; consult your doctor immediately! :D
I fear your right, even if the attack has only totalled £50 so far. Some should prove easy to adapt but the process lenses may be more of a challenge.

Been looking at a lovely body, by the time I found a lens that I liked, the total price scared me off. besides, my credit card could not take the punishment.

I have got three window pages up, comparing spec and prices. No idea why, as I have made my mind up I am not buying. :rolleyes:

Ended up with a d800 and 5d mk 2 at the same time hahaha.

Both with 50mm 1.8 primes only. No other lenses at all anymore.

Just given in this morning so I have a gitzo gk1555t-82tqd package turning up tomorrow.
Great price on it too better than gitzo’s own sale price.

The local Hemes depot seem determined to get my GAS under control, 5 deliveries this year (not all lenses) they've decided to return to the seller rather than drop them at my work (the booked delivery address). Fortunately I've managed to get some of them sorted but at least 2 lenses seem to have been knocked of my list (refunded for one, the other still pending)

The local Hemes depot seem determined to get my GAS under control, 5 deliveries this year (not all lenses) they've decided to return to the seller rather than drop them at my work (the booked delivery address). Fortunately I've managed to get some of them sorted but at least 2 lenses seem to have been knocked of my list (refunded for one, the other still pending)
How annoying. That would drive me bonkers. Did you manage to repent in the time pending and cancel the orders?

I have a friend who is constantly buying clothes and then taking them back when she thinks better of it at home. I feel the same about photography gear, although it never goes back.

At the moment I'm trying to resist buying the Olympus 12-100mm lens that would give me better reach than my 12-40, when I want to walk in Italy in the snow and just take one lens and camera. I have the 40-150mm. I should just carry that too shouldn't I? Although changing lenses if it's snowy won't be fun. GAS :police:

The local Hemes depot
There's your problem.

My local Herpes courier frequently tried to claim he'd delivered stuff despite me having CCTV coverage on all approaches to my house proving otherwise. Often got pictures of what looked like the inside of his pocket (shudder) as proof of delivery which Herpes & PayPal were happy to accept as PoD until I served court papers. I will not buy anything that is being delivered by Herpes.

Seems autocorrect has the same opinion of the organisation as me :clap:

Last edited:
They seem quite reasonable at delivering to my home, which is under 15 miles from work, but this fisasco has caused me to rethink using them again..

A couple of the returns had been marked as delivered when they got back to the supplier - fortunately their tracking showed they'd gone to Sheffield & Bournemouth while others showed return requested by Thurrock... A practice that has guaranteed I'll be avoiding Hermes where other options are available. Click & collect could see a lot more use (it's convenient for work only a 5 minute detour on the way home)

Some of the sellers have been very good hopefully one has managed to redirect the 500mm lens coming in to my home address (Hermes tracking claims they need my input, but wouldn't let me redirect it)

It's the foreign deliveries that get handed over to Hermes that the biggest worry - tracking doesn't seem to work usefully for those. I won't be too worried about one of them if I end up being refunded rather than receiving it, but the other will be a real bargain provided the normal fix to its fault works out...

I very rarely return things I've brought, The Kino lens I'd got didn't seem worth the effort of getting again (especially as the seller received it back 5 days before he was forced to refund me & he didn't say a word). One of the other orders - a lot of 3 lenses + some other bits - I've been refunded for & brought again paying a couple of quid extra for alternative postage.

That is shocking :( No scruples.

I hope you manage to get everything in the end.
Thanks, at least most of the transactions have been fairly trivial amounts, the Sony zoom is the most expensive (~£50) and is close to the total of all the rest of the lenses. I'm reasonably confident I'll get most of the lenses in the end, fortunately some of the sellers have proved to be excellent.

I keep fancying more guitar pedals - like I don't have a couple of piles of them sat right here beside me. :rolleyes: And I don't even especially enjoy playing guitar that much these days. :(

You definitely do... one for travel... one for the beach.... one for low down macro.... and one for..... errrrmmm whatever the latest one if for.
You missed having an emergency tripod in the back of the car, so I think you need at least one more

Last edited:
You definitely do... one for travel... one for the beach.... one for low down macro.... and one for..... errrrmmm whatever the latest one if for.
Ultra heavy duty one for LONG lenses, one for the car, one for astronomy (with a equatorial head), one that's cheap enough to use in rough spots, an intermediate strength one because the ultra heavy one is HEAVY...

Actually my 'macro' one lives in the car with the better 'intermediate' one, and the only real travel ones I have are table top models (usually brought when abroad & find I've not got a tripod with me). I think I've got something like 7 full size tripods (2 astro telescopes) - several of them are more to lend to workshop members who've forgotten to bring one, than for me to use.

Back