The General Car Thread

So Rolls Royce have unveiled their SUV. One of the ugliest cars I have ever seen.

erm...
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/british/rolls-royce-cullinan-suv-it

Where to start...

It's like a london taxi when they tried to modernise it, the TX4
EMR_CT_050517londontaxi_02.jpg

So a bit better looking than an X6.

First photo - you'd think that for cars that expensive, they would employ a photographer who knows how to light them...

First photo - you'd think that for cars that expensive, they would employ a photographer who knows how to light them...
Good lighting or bad, nothing is going to make that monstrosity look any better.

That was moe to make the car look like a film star rather than to show off the car. Perhaps they were using the lighting to hide it more :D

The Daimler 420 hearse is a good looking vehicle!

I once saw a Toyota Yaris turned into a hearse. It was exactly as awful as it sounds. Quite how it came about baffles me. I wish I'd had a camera on me to get pictures!

They can put me in a bin bag for I'll care when I'm dead.

Pretty muck my intention

Will sorted post my heart exploding in 2006.

Plastic bag to the crematorium, asked for ashes to be added to a seriously loud firework. Driven in a Merc Grocer to Dublin Bay and launched into the sky towards Sandymount at 3am in the morning. The noise of the bang should awaken everyone asleep in the city centre whilst the Ride of the Valkyries blares out of the Mer Grocer.[emoji48][emoji106]

I didn't really see the point of starting a new thread for this, so lets slot it in here! 2004+ Mazda 3 and 2005+ Ford Focus. How much of them is interchangeable? From what I can gather so far the suspension should easily swap between them... anything else?

I didn't really see the point of starting a new thread for this, so lets slot it in here! 2004+ Mazda 3 and 2005+ Ford Focus. How much of them is interchangeable? From what I can gather so far the suspension should easily swap between them... anything else?
By Focus 2005+, do you mean the mk2? Brakes should be the same, there may also be some commonality as regards engines are concerned as a lot of Ford petrol engines were based on Mazda units. The facelift Focus 2008 onwards will have stuff shared also with Volvo.
Try going on Euro Car Parts and see if any common part numbers come up on branded components.

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.
Campaigners welcomed the move, saying it would save thousands of lives, with the EU aiming ultimately to cut road deaths to zero by 2050.
The road safety charity Brake called it a "landmark day" and urged the UK to adopt the regulation after Brexit.
But the AA said "a little speed" helps with overtaking or joining motorways.
Safety measures approved by the European Commission included intelligent speed assistance (ISA), advanced emergency braking and lane-keeping technology.

It says it will save 25,000 lives, but how will we feed these extra people. Bet they never thought of that!!!

I'm not particularly interested in cars and we don't have one at the moment. I dislike driving in the UK, and Edinburgh is a small city with pretty decent public transport. In the future, we'll see...

Having said that, the cars which most appeal to me are the DB4 and DB5, both of which are somewhat out of reach!

This legislation will undoubtedly prove popular with manufacturers of high performance cars, will Ferraris and Lamborghinis be limited to 80mph?

May as well buy a Fiesta.

What a stupid idea. I assume that to get to zero road deaths they will ban Greek taxi drivers???

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU.
Campaigners welcomed the move, saying it would save thousands of lives, with the EU aiming ultimately to cut road deaths to zero by 2050.
The road safety charity Brake called it a "landmark day" and urged the UK to adopt the regulation after Brexit.
But the AA said "a little speed" helps with overtaking or joining motorways.
Safety measures approved by the European Commission included intelligent speed assistance (ISA), advanced emergency braking and lane-keeping technology.

I recently did a speed awareness course, where they pointed out that the vast majority of speed-related accidents happened in densely populated areas. I would therefore expect IF the objective is safety, for the speed limiting to be focussed on travel in 20/30/40 limt areas and less so at motorway travel. We can hope.

Last edited:
Just seen Tesla’s newest product. The Cybertruck. Wow they think different! It’s so ugly but I love it!

Last edited:
Shades of a cross between the pursuit vehicle in Captain Scarlet and something out of Space 1999!

Shades of a cross between the pursuit vehicle in Captain Scarlet and something out of Space 1999!
Musk reckons the inspiration came from the James Bond Lotus Esprit submarine car. I don't see it myself.

Now that I could be tempted by! Rather doubt that it'll be £31,000 or anywhere close though.

Now that I could be tempted by! Rather doubt that it'll be £31,000 or anywhere close though.
The Model 3 is $35k in America and over £40k in the UK, so I would imagine around the £45k mark.

I see it has stainless steel panels. Perhaps they got demoralised by the Model 3's tendency to rust and paint flaking off. ;)

Last edited:
Without wishing to be judgemental: It's hideous!

No. Let me correct myself: it's F%$$££g hideous!! :naughty:

Funnily enough, I think the Ford "Mustang" EV looks a lot like the Tesla Model X so copying Tesla seems to be their MO now... ;)

Not what it might first appear to be, the Eagle GT.

Best looking car ever,

The End.

eagle-low-drag-gt.jpg

I have to be a Superformance fan owning a GT40 recreation or a Kirkham 289 FIA that I also have - love the 60's race car era!
Looking at getting a Superformance Grand Sport in the New Year :)

Back