The General Drone-Related Thread

Who can resist a calm misty morning.

Music maketh the mood.

I'm liking the new youtube layout but sometimes it's hard to find things they have moved.
There seems to have been a second set of changes to more pages..
In the drop down top right you can have a dark background though the white layour is much nicer than before too.

Would any of you pilots have experience of flying at the Ribblehead viaduct?

I would like to take a trip up, but would appreciate some help with choosing an appropriate take off/ landing spot and ensure I can keep to VLOS and to the regulation distances during the flight.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

Batty Moss Viaduct is the only place I've seen more than two quadcopters in use at the same time in the past four years. Last time I was up there there were two inspires, three phantoms, a Mavic and a couple of hexacopter platforms but all of the operators bar one were fully spatially aware and didn't appear to directly overfly the viaduct whilst there were kettles on it.

You've a huge area to work in with most of the area North of the B6255 and the East of the viaduct being registered common and the area immediately west of the viaduct being conclusive open land.

Never had a real problem with midges up there or had a problem with the wind. Had very few windy or wet days up there luckily.

Autumn closing in, North York Moors yesterday.

In the first few seconds I narrowly missed a TV cable randomly draped over the roof of the un-occupied pub.
You can see it in video on larger screen easy enough.

All Mavic Pro recorded at 2.7K in D-Log at +1, -1, 0 and upscaled to 4K at rendering.
Contrast and saturation tweak in Adobe Premiere.
This consistently works best for youtube IMO.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest a reliable UK based drone supplier please?

My wife would like a drone for Christmas, I think the Mavic Pro looks like a good model and I'm now looking for a supplier recommendation. Drones For Less keep appearing in searches, proclaiming to be a UK supplier, but their address appears to be a mailbox facility - that puts me off.

Thanks,

Chris

Just bought a Mavic Pro from Apple (wanted the alpine white) but coming up to Black Friday there should be some great deals about. I didn’t consider second hand as these things are so techniquly advanced I was conscious of lack of warranty if it goes pear shaped. And for that reason I personally would stick with some of the bigger retailers that might be easier to deal with if a time of need did arise.

Thanks for your comments Rich. I agree with your views on s/h, with machinery as vulnerable as a drone new is better.

I will be checking the deals over the next few days.

Chris

Thanks 4wd. It seems that a few retailers have the fly-more pack at the same price, including Wex, a supplier many of us know well, so I may go in that direction.

Chris

Just in case anyone is interested, Litchi drone app, is 40% off at present. Available on ios and android.

I haven’t flown a drone since I sold my Inspire a year ago. But today I treated myself to a Spark.
Looking forward to testing it.

Anyone using a DJI CrystalSky?

I'm thinking of getting one as the battery in my iPhone lasts minutes when it's really cold :(

Anyone using a DJI CrystalSky?

I'm thinking of getting one as the battery in my iPhone lasts minutes when it's really cold :(

Just bought a mavic and this has been my down fall so far!.

I seem to have one of the dodgy Iphone 6s's (16GB) that randomly shuts down mid flight and the battery goes to 20-30% then back up to 50-60% after a quick on off. Apparently I can get this sorted by Apple FOC but the storage will still be an issue.

Ended up buying a second hand Iphone 7 Plus (256GB) so hopefully better battery and pretty much unlimited storage. Be interested to hear how anyone is getting on with a CrystalSky though.

I had a 6S battery replaced by apple, all free and was returned in about a week. They send a pre paid envelope out.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Cheers for the info.

I think I can drop mine on to a local centre and leave it with them which is probably what I would do. It’s never cuased me an issue until I have been using it with the Mavic!. I will only get it replaced now to aid with the sale.

I took my Spark out for the first time yesterday. What an impressive piece of kit it is!

I took my Spark out for the first time yesterday. What an impressive piece of kit it is!
Did you go for the bundle with remote? Apart from the disappointing range when behind trees (not so much problem now) I also found it to be fantastic, been using it since September. Shoot me any questions you may have :)

Did you go for the bundle with remote? Apart from the disappointing range when behind trees (not so much problem now) I also found it to be fantastic, been using it since September. Shoot me any questions you may have :)

Thanks!
I got the bundle. I have found the range quite limiting. I lost video at about 200 metres earlier.
Love its portability though.

Last edited:
Really disappointed that the announcement tomorrow will be the Mavic Air.

There is no way they should be putting that with the Mavic brand, it's more like a Spark Pro.

I was hoping for the Mavic 2 with an improved camera etc but looks like all we'll get is that rubbish :(

Autel will be happy, I thought the announcement tomorrow was going to counter the Evo, but lt looks with Autel will have a Mavic killer and unless there's a surprise tomorrow I will be jumping ship.

Really disappointed that the announcement tomorrow will be the Mavic Air.

There is no way they should be putting that with the Mavic brand, it's more like a Spark Pro.

I was hoping for the Mavic 2 with an improved camera etc but looks like all we'll get is that rubbish :(

Autel will be happy, I thought the announcement tomorrow was going to counter the Evo, but lt looks with Autel will have a Mavic killer and unless there's a surprise tomorrow I will be jumping ship.

I'd never heard of them until this thread, the evo looks plasticky to me, I don't have a drone though so nothing to compare to but how is it so much better than the mavic?

I'd never heard of them until this thread, the evo looks plasticky to me, I don't have a drone though so nothing to compare to but how is it so much better than the mavic?

I don't own an Autel drone (yet) but as a company they get good reviews especially on the customer service front. DJI probably have the worst customer service imaginable.

With regards to the Evo then it has some cool features like 3D mapping, good obstacle avoidance (front, bottom, rear) where mavic does not have rear. The remote has an OLED display for information but can also be used for flight video if you forget your phone or something happens.

The bit that is most interest to me is the camera/video etc. The Mavic is a great drone but the camera is pretty poor, especially if you are shooting in low light and 4K is pushing it. With the Evo it will do 4K 60 and they will be offering a versio with a 1 inch sensor which will make a massive difference. Of course it's not available quite yet so will have to see in a couple of months but on paper yes, it could be a lot better than the mavic.

I don't own an Autel drone (yet) but as a company they get good reviews especially on the customer service front. DJI probably have the worst customer service imaginable.

With regards to the Evo then it has some cool features like 3D mapping, good obstacle avoidance (front, bottom, rear) where mavic does not have rear. The remote has an OLED display for information but can also be used for flight video if you forget your phone or something happens.

The bit that is most interest to me is the camera/video etc. The Mavic is a great drone but the camera is pretty poor, especially if you are shooting in low light and 4K is pushing it. With the Evo it will do 4K 60 and they will be offering a versio with a 1 inch sensor which will make a massive difference. Of course it's not available quite yet so will have to see in a couple of months but on paper yes, it could be a lot better than the mavic.

I see, thank you for the reply, I just want one for family photos mainly and maybe some dronies but the mavic was too much and the spark didn't fold but I will have a look at autel.

Dji event is soon and they could still have a mavic pro 2 to announce that they kept more secret

I'm hoping the new announcement will bring the prices down for the previous released of the DJI's. Never heard of Autel before so I will keep a lookout for their stuff however for my first drone I'm thinking something uber cheap I can fly indoors to begin with to get the hang of the controls!

Well Mavic Air confirmed, what a waste of time. Looks like DJI does not consider quality of output to be important just how many you can fit in your pockets.

Well Mavic Air confirmed, what a waste of time. Looks like DJI does not consider quality of output to be important just how many you can fit in your pockets.

Well considering their whole selling point was based around having something that you can take with you anywhere I think they've done a splendid job. Especially considering it's effectively the same if not better than the Mavic yet half the size.

Back