The General Drone-Related Thread

Yep, fixes ALL of the things wrong with the Spark (for me): RAW images, 3-axis, longer flight time (of course, even longer still would be nice).

(Actually, does it have detection cameras in the rear?)

Yep, fixes ALL of the things wrong with the Spark (for me): RAW images, 3-axis, longer flight time (of course, even longer still would be nice).

Certainly does (y)

Certainly does (y)

That's great news too.

I tested a Spark for a long weekend, but decided against buying due to the issues above.

I'll be buying an Air (well, once the price stabilises).

Edit: I actually crashed my loan Spark into a tree whilst using one of the automated QuickShot modes to film/circle me. Lack of 360 object detection a bit of an oversight!

Last edited:
That's great news too.

I tested a Spark for a long weekend, but decided against buying due to the issues above.

I'll be buying an Air (well, once the price stabilises).

Yeah I think it ticks all the boxes for me too personally. Just need to be able to afford one now.

Well considering their whole selling point was based around having something that you can take with you anywhere I think they've done a splendid job. Especially considering it's effectively the same if not better than the Mavic yet half the size.

It's not that it's bad (it's good if you don't own a drone) but I was hoping for a Mavic 2 and instead got a Spark Pro. It's not as good as the mavic for many reasons some of which:

1) Flight Time - 9 minutes less than the platinum
2) It uses WiFi which is terrible on the spark and although better on this it will be nowhere near as good as the Mavic ie less range and more prone to interference.
3) Range - not as good as mavic due to above
3) Controller does not have any display - yes I know you use the phone but when the app crashes (and it will) it's nice to still have some readings

Exactly this is a massive upgrade for Spark users but a downgrade for Mavic users, which is ofc what DJI planned as it sits within the 2.

I'd buy one now if I didn't have the Mavic but I do and having used it for a year I know what improvements are needed which is why I was hoping for a Mavic 2.

Ohh well guess I'll have to wait for the Phantom 5 announcement.

Last edited:
It's not that it's bad (it's good if you don't own a drone) but I was hoping for a Mavic 2 and instead got a Spark Pro. It's not as good as the mavic for many reasons some of which:

1) Flight Time - 9 minutes less than the platinum
2) It uses WiFi which is terrible on the spark and although better on this it will be nowhere near as good as the Mavic ie less range and more prone to interference.
3) Range - not as good as mavic due to above
3) Controller does not have any display - yes I know you use the phone but when the app crashes (and it will) it's nice to still have some readings

Re your comment about wifi......

As you know the Spark uses a 2.412 - 2.462 GHz 5.745 - 5.825 GHz wireless control signal when used with the controller, Mavic uses 2.400 - 2.483 GHz. I have never has the app crash. Range is indeed less than the Mavic's but it should be flown in sight anyway.

The camera looks pretty good.
Video bitrate is 100mbps in 4K which should be much better than Mavic
If I didn't have a Mavic I would get the Air now.
They have created a very refined yet powerful small drone here.

I wouldn't rush to buy until they are actually being delivered and the problems start to surface, and get addressed.
DJI pre orders can be a tale of woe at times.

Re your comment about wifi......

As you know the Spark uses a 2.412 - 2.462 GHz 5.745 - 5.825 GHz wireless control signal when used with the controller, Mavic uses 2.400 - 2.483 GHz. I have never has the app crash. Range is indeed less than the Mavic's but it should be flown in sight anyway.

LOL what are you talking about the Mavic and Spark use totally different technology, I don't care what GHz you think you're quoting the Mavic uses Ocusync which are far superior. Between myself and my mate we have the Spark, Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro+ and I can tell you for sure that the Spark does not achieve the stated range and often looses signal after 200M and very prone to interference. Out of the lot the Mavic is the most stable and reliable, the Phantom uses Lightbridge which has some advantages however that will get video signal breakup way before the Mavic, in fact I can't remember ever having a problem or loss of signal.

If you have not had an app crash you will. I have been using drones with iOS for over a year and the first app crash was last week. My mate who uses Andriod and has had much more. So it's not a case of if but when.

Last edited:
LOL what are you talking about the Mavic and Spark use totally different technology, I don't care what GHz you think you're quoting the Mavic uses Ocusync which are far superior. Between myself and my mate we have the Spark, Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro+ and I can tell you for sure that the Spark does not achieve the stated range and often looses signal after 200M and very prone to interference. Out of the lot the Mavic is the most stable and reliable, the Phantom uses Lightbridge which has some advantages however that will get video signal breakup way before the Mavic, in fact I can't remember ever having a problem or loss of signal.

If you have not had an app crash you will. I have been using drones with iOS for over a year and the first app crash was last week. My mate who uses Andriod and has had much more. So it's not a case of if but when.

Over a year eh! Wow!
Well judging from your posting style I was flying my Inspire when you were still at school.

Over a year eh! Wow!
Well judging from your posting style I was flying my Inspire when you were still at school.

Well I was going to say something along the lines of big drone for failing eyesight, but in respect for my elders I won't.

Well I was going to say something along the lines of big drone for failing eyesight, but in respect for my elders I won't.

I was responding to the fact that you said "It uses WiFi which is terrible on the spark". The connection between user and Spark is NOT wifi if the controller is used. You did not seem aware of that. At least you know now.

I was responding to the fact that you said "It uses WiFi which is terrible on the spark". The connection between user and Spark is NOT wifi if the controller is used. You did not seem aware of that. At least you know now.

Please educate us youngsters further what is it?

I already did.

Maybe you should educate DJI then as they sell the controller as:

Spark's remote controller features a brand new Wi-Fi signal transmission system, capable of controlling the aircraft * and gimbal camera at a maximum transmission range of 1.2 mi (2 km). **

** The remote controller can only reach its maximum transmission distance (FCC) in wide open areas with no electromagnetic interference and at an altitude of around 120 meters.

The Air looks fantastic, if I were to buy a drone now, this will be my number 1 choice. Video quality isn't really my biggest concern. Biggest selling point for me are:
  • Foldable
  • 3 axis gimbal and it looks sturdy, well protected
  • Backwards sensor to help with auto shots.
  • Removable RC sticks for portability
  • Small enough to be mistaken for a toy drone
Biggest reason I didn't buy Mavic Pro was because I know I will crash it and the gimbal will be destroyed. I bought a Spark in 2017 and have crashed it a few times, even once almost full sport speed into a car park metal support. Despite those crashes, my Spark still flys beautifully and I have no fear to turn on sport mode and have fun with it.

With regard to range, I have managed the claimed 300 meters with the Spark and RC. The datasheet seems to suggest Mavic Air can do 500 meters outside FCC territories. It would have been nice to get Mavic Pro's radio system to make it an all-round upgrade from Spark, rather than a mediocre upgrade for an existing Spark user.

Last edited:
I suspect the range will be similar to Spark in CE mode, this is the one bugbear as it won't be very good unless you have ideal location with no other wifi or obstructions to attenuate.
About 1000 feet will be it.

In a few weeks time there will be a Mavic 2 and it wll make this one look silly.

With regard to range, I have managed the claimed 300 meters with the Spark and RC. The datasheet seems to suggest Mavic Air can do 500 meters outside FCC territories. It would have been nice to get Mavic Pro's radio system to make it an all-round upgrade from Spark, rather than a mediocre upgrade for an existing Spark user.

Last edited:
The Air looks fantastic, if I were to buy a drone now, this will be my number 1 choice. Video quality isn't really my biggest concern. Biggest selling point for me are:
  • Foldable
  • 3 axis gimbal and it looks sturdy, well protected
  • Backwards sensor to help with auto shots.
  • Removable RC sticks for portability
  • Small enough to be mistaken for a toy drone
Biggest reason I didn't buy Mavic Pro was because I know I will crash it and the gimbal will be destroyed. I bought a Spark in 2017 and have crashed it a few times, even once almost full sport speed into a car park metal support. Despite those crashes, my Spark still flys beautifully and I have no fear to turn on sport mode and have fun with it.

I agree, if I was to buy a new drone this would definitely be on my list, but as an existing Mavic user it doesn't make much sense. I think if you're going to crash a drone you will, more sensors are always better but not fool proof and people may get it in their mind that it's impossible to crash and be less careful.

I do think it's a strange decision by DJI to release this, or maybe it's a smart move, it will definitely sell but will it kill off sales of the Spark and Mavic Pro. Will those expecting Mavic Pro performance be disappointed, it will be interesting to see realworld feedback from users as most of the 'reviews' on youtube are like a DJI advert, which can be expected if they've been given a drone by DJI. I think as I said originally the range/video-signal breakup will be an issue for some but will wait and see.

I reckon the next drone to be released will be the Phantom 5 followed by a true Mavic 2 later in the year.

Last edited:
DJI Datasheet says in CE mode, Spark in 2.4GHz can do 500m, 5.8GHz can do 300m. Mavic Air can do 2000m(!) in 2.4GHz and 500m in 5.8GHz. I feel the Spark datasheet metric is achievable as long as you maintain line of sight to the drone (which you should). Compared to Spark, there's some small improvement to this radio tech in Mavic air (eg. putting antenna on the landing gear) allowing it to achieve the range improvement.

Yes, I agree. For more advanced moves such as circle behind a building, this wifi-based radio tech has zero chance. Mavic Pro is needed, shame.

I also noticed the Air can be charged via USB, just like the Spark. Using 3 batteries, I've managed 5 battery worth of flight time in one day during road-trip by charging my Spark in the car. That's without buying special car battery chargers. So it's also an important feature for me.

One thing puzzles me is why doesn't the props fold? Why doesn't the air get the same Mavic Pro Platinum's special prop design for reduced noise. Seems like a missed opportunity if Mavic Pro 2 is just around corner (like everyone keeps saying) there's little sales cannibalise.

Last edited:
On a different note. There is a new firmware update, certainly for the Mavic. Might want to check as I know of people that have gone to fly their drone and it has been impossible due to the update requiring wifi.

I've got the Phantom 4 Pro. I've ordered a Mavic Air for a more portable drone when I go hill walking or places with lots of obstacles i.e. a forest. The Spark was cool but I never went for it due to the reasons pointed out by others on this thread so the mix between the Mavic and Spark does it for me. I had the Mavic previously but the camera was poor IMO and very grainy even in low ISO, it only ever became a toy for me.

I have never had a drone before. I can buy a lightly used Mavic Pro with just the 1 battery, rucksack etc for £700 or a new Mavic Air for £769 (not the fly more package)
Any thought anyone? Will be used in the mountains when hiking/camping and weekends away in the caravan with the family, a mixture of video and photos.

I have never had a drone before. I can buy a lightly used Mavic Pro with just the 1 battery, rucksack etc for £700 or a new Mavic Air for £769 (not the fly more package)
Any thought anyone? Will be used in the mountains when hiking/camping and weekends away in the caravan with the family, a mixture of video and photos.

I’ve had the Pro and have the Air now and I think the Air is much more fun, portable and just as good camera wise than the Pro except for focusing. Also the Pro has all the issues with the camera and painterly effect but I don’t see those on the Air in the time I’ve used it. It’s really up to you though, watch comparison videos and look at sample videos and images from them both.

i would get the Air, the video is considerably improved over Mavic pro.
Stills not so different.
Control seems a bit more sloppy, something of a step backwards but perfectly adequate.
Or - wait for forecast Mavic Pro II late March - it will be over £1000 though.
I'd expect a camera similar to Air and range/control/battery life similar to Pro.

I’ve had the Pro and have the Air now and I think the Air is much more fun, portable and just as good camera wise than the Pro except for focusing. Also the Pro has all the issues with the camera and painterly effect but I don’t see those on the Air in the time I’ve used it. It’s really up to you though, watch comparison videos and look at sample videos and images from them both.

Thank you for the reply, it all helps.

Stills not so different.
Control seems a bit more sloppy, something of a step backwards but perfectly adequate.
I'd expect a camera similar to Air and range/control/battery life similar to Pro.

Thanks. I wouldn't want to spend much more than I am talking about above, an Air and another battery is my budget gone .

Stills not so different.

When you say control is more sloppy do you mean the actual controller or the bird?

When you say control is more sloppy do you mean the actual controller or the bird?
It's just a feature of using wifi compared to Mavic Pro Occusync.
There's a bit more lag and you are likely to get brief drop outs with the video feed freezing briefly at much closer range than with the Mavic Pro
It works reasonably well in FCC zones but the CE area has significantly lower power output unless you dabble.

It's just a feature of using wifi compared to Mavic Pro Occusync.
There's a bit more lag and you are likely to get brief drop outs with the video feed freezing briefly at much closer range than with the Mavic Pro
It works reasonably well in FCC zones but the CE area has significantly lower power output unless you dabble.

Yup I agree with this. It would have been nice that the Air had Occusync but in terms of distance it's easy to lose sight of it at close range because of it's size in comparisons to the Pro and Phantom series.

Completely new to this drone lark so please bear with my naivety. I'm considering getting a drone, would probably be second hand. I would be looking to shift some camera gear to fund the drone and would budget for around £400. So, any gudiance on where to look etc would be great (y).

I've noticed the Yuneec Q500, a little over budget but I might be tempted for new as I could trade with WEX. Any good?

ta. :)

If you don't mind the larger size, the Phantom 3 is good value used.
DJI are now king of ultra portable small styles, it is hard to over-emphasise how important being small and being able to quickly start up is.
Once the initial enthusiasm passes there is nothing worse than carrying a bulky phantom or similar large drone which need propellers attaching and such.
Even in a car where the actual carrying is no big deal the unpacking part is tedious.

Completely new to this drone lark so please bear with my naivety. I'm considering getting a drone, would probably be second hand. I would be looking to shift some camera gear to fund the drone and would budget for around £400. So, any gudiance on where to look etc would be great (y).

I've noticed the Yuneec Q500, a little over budget but I might be tempted for new as I could trade with WEX. Any good?

ta. :)

Avoid the Yuneec it is rubbish, the controller has a built in screen but no features and poor display. The range on it is terrible we had disconnects at a couple of hundred metres. The picture quality was OK but that's as far as it goes and it is massive!

£400 I'd look at a used phantom or save a bit more and get a Mavic Pro if you want portability - prices may drop soon if the rumoured Mavic 2 get launched.

Appreciate the heads up on the Yuneec, thank you. Will avoid and go for better quality second hand. (y)

Avoid the Yuneec it is rubbish, the controller has a built in screen but no features and poor display. The range on it is terrible we had disconnects at a couple of hundred metres. The picture quality was OK but that's as far as it goes and it is massive!

£400 I'd look at a used phantom or save a bit more and get a Mavic Pro if you want portability - prices may drop soon if the rumoured Mavic 2 get launched.

Price drop already in full swing. Seen up to as much as £200 off the fly more package and I doubt it’ll get increased any more.

I bought batteries from there and queried if they were genuine. They said they were but we're very hesitant when I asked if they're from the UK or imported. Based on the conversation I came to the conclusion they're imported even though it was never said. I'd just bear this in mind if you're thinking about warranty and to look this up and speak to them about it.

Thanks chaps, will look into this over the weekend. Still have to shift some camera gear first.

Back