The General Drone-Related Thread

Wondershare Filmora is quite popular for a basic editing package, not sure of the spec requirements but you can get a free trial :

https://filmora.wondershare.net/whats-new-in-filmora-video-editor.html

It costs for $59 for lifetime licence and worth that imo.

Thanks, I will check it out and see how it does on my Mac :) (y)

Ah, that would be a problem. I have a 16gb MBP and it's fine, but understandably you don't want to fork out loads of money for a new computer if you don't have to. have you looked at the mac mini? I used to have one of these and it was fine for editing and things (Plus the RAM is user upgradable, so you can buy a 4gb one and upgrade to 16gb dead easily if you want to).

I've had a look but the Mac Mini hasn't been updated in over three years, and I think if I'm going to buy something then I want to get something newer with the aim of keeping it for another 8 years.

In all honestly I'm not sure what spec is required for video editing. Could the entry level 13" Macbook Pro handle it or would I need a higher model? I'm trying to decide whether I want to sell the iMac I have and get a new iMac, or keep it for photo editing, and then get a MBP for video editing (with a tv or larger monitor), as it's cheaper and more portable for travelling etc.

Thanks, I will check it out and see how it does on my Mac :) (y)

I've had a look but the Mac Mini hasn't been updated in over three years, and I think if I'm going to buy something then I want to get something newer with the aim of keeping it for another 8 years.

In all honestly I'm not sure what spec is required for video editing. Could the entry level 13" Macbook Pro handle it or would I need a higher model? I'm trying to decide whether I want to sell the iMac I have and get a new iMac, or keep it for photo editing, and then get a MBP for video editing (with a tv or larger monitor), as it's cheaper and more portable for travelling etc.
I have the MBP 13" 16GB with these specs. It works perfectly for me. I would imagine that you could get away with a 8GB RAM and a slightly slower processor but you may have to make yourself a few cups of coffee while you wait for the program to do certain tasks.
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 17.53.57.png

I have the MBP 13" 16GB with these specs. It works perfectly for me. I would imagine that you could get away with a 8GB RAM and a slightly slower processor but you may have to make yourself a few cups of coffee while you wait for the program to do certain tasks.
View attachment 123038

Thanks! I'll probably end up buying the base level 13 inch model in a month or two.

I ended up downloading a trial of FCPX and it seems to work on my Mac, even though it's ancient! As long as I don't rush rush it too much and let it do all the background rendinering, it's not too painful.

Apologies if this has been asked before but as this thread has 31 pages I didn't have time to read them all. I am interested in getting a video drone and realise that there are some excellent machines out there.Before I spend too much I was thinking of getting a cheaper one to see if it was something I would want to continue with. I have been known to spend lots on things that don't keep my interest too long - so my wife says! There are some on Amazon that have things like RTH, follow me etc for around £200-250. Are these worth getting to try?

Apologies if this has been asked before but as this thread has 31 pages I didn't have time to read them all. I am interested in getting a video drone and realise that there are some excellent machines out there.Before I spend too much I was thinking of getting a cheaper one to see if it was something I would want to continue with. I have been known to spend lots on things that don't keep my interest too long - so my wife says! There are some on Amazon that have things like RTH, follow me etc for around £200-250. Are these worth getting to try?

The first drone I purchased was a DJI Mavic Pro, amazing little drone. A friend of mine saw it and decided to get a drone, I told hime to get the same as me but he didn't want to spend that much so purchased a drone approx £200-250, it wasn't great so after a couple of weeks he purchased another drone, this time a Yuneec at about £600-700.. He got fed up with that after a few week due to the poor flight distance and poor remote and purchased some adaptors to increase the range.. they didn't. So eventually he purchased a Mavic Pro which is what he should have done in the first place.

Luckily for you DJI now have a wider range of drones and some are cheaper. I sold my DJI Mavic fly more not so long ago for £600 so I think it could be an idea to get a good used one than a cheap new one. The Mavic 2 is out now so you may start to see a few Mavic Pros up for sale.

The Mavic Air are selling used for about £600-£700 but be aware they are wi-fi and the range is terrible,.

Hi, I started with the SYMA x5. Basic drone to learn to fly, £50-£60 ish, 6-7 minutes flight time great learner but camera is naff, nowadays I would go with the tello (made by ryze with assistance from DJI) only going to see 10-20m range but I’ve seen some respectable pictures/video from it, £100 ish, will give you an idea of drones and video, if you choose to move on I would defo go for the Mavic Pro, solid little drone, great range, Mavic air has more gizmos and such but WiFi (a special DJI WiFi) so range wise should still easily see 1/2 to 1 mike)

@Jase and @scott199 - thanks for your replies. I did think that might be the case. I must admit that the one I want is the Mavic Pro 2, but before spending out on that I just wanted to get a feel for the general experience. Your opinions are much appreciated.

@Jase and @scott199 - thanks for your replies. I did think that might be the case. I must admit that the one I want is the Mavic Pro 2, but before spending out on that I just wanted to get a feel for the general experience. Your opinions are much appreciated.

I've got a Mavic 2 Pro arriving this week :) Honestly they are really easy to fly/use with the DJI tech which is why I recommend them.

I've got a Mavic 2 Pro arriving this week :) Honestly they are really easy to fly/use with the DJI tech which is why I recommend them.

Feel free to send it to me and I’ll test it all for you, we’ll just call it a favour, I’ll make sure it’s all working correctly and run it in for you, no thanks needed, just happy to help:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
I was determined to resist but having downloaded a couple of stills and Dlog videos from tomstechtime the 2 pro makes the original mavic camera seem pathetic.
Best price and availability currently seems to be DigitalRev - 3-5 days and in stock.
Their price is £100 less too so that's a spare battery later.
I find with the mavic 1 I rarely use third battery so two might do especially since you get a few minutes more.

i am selling a full DJI Inspire Pro bundle in the classifieds if anyone is interested

I was determined to resist but having downloaded a couple of stills and Dlog videos from tomstechtime the 2 pro makes the original mavic camera seem pathetic.
Best price and availability currently seems to be DigitalRev - 3-5 days and in stock.
I find with the mavic 1 I rarely use third battery so two might do especially since you get a few minutes more.

I have been avoiding that for the very same reason, been desperate to look at the difference but I know if it’s noticable it’ll cost me money ;)

I decided months ago that I was going to get the next Mavic, and then when the details were leaked I decided on the pro so the second it was available to buy I did... pity there was a bank holiday in the UK to delay delivery :(

I also had a look at the tomstechtime files and was quite impressed with them, the original mavic pro was a great drone but did struggle when the light wasn't perfect.

As luck would have it someone has offered me £500 for the old pro this afternoon.
Not bad after two years of regular use.

New drone flying regulations start tomorrow here in France . Anybody flying a drone weighing more than 800 grams will need to pass a test....new users immediately and existing users have two months to comply. The test comprises a series of questions to ensure that the user understands the regulations and no-fly areas. Memebers of the French aeromodellers association will be exempt as they have already signed up to comply with the rules.

Still from first Mavic 2 Pro flight.
It's very good but perhaps has been *a little* over-hyped.
Extremely stable in flight, I think the slight weight increase helps.

42591565560_3872282274_o.jpg

I think it's a massive improvement to the original Mavic Pro especially when the light isn't great, very happy with it.

Guys, I am trying to get my head around the regulations and licensing required. I have been asked to start doing some video for my boating clients - so other than the property I am on (the boat) there are no restrictions from property I need to worry about (out at sea), but because it will be pro use.... do you really have to hand over £1500 to get a piece of paper to fly a model helicopter? Or is that just a commercial enterprise and there are other routes to the same end?

Guys, I am trying to get my head around the regulations and licensing required. I have been asked to start doing some video for my boating clients - so other than the property I am on (the boat) there are no restrictions from property I need to worry about (out at sea), but because it will be pro use.... do you really have to hand over £1500 to get a piece of paper to fly a model helicopter? Or is that just a commercial enterprise and there are other routes to the same end?

i assume you're talking about making a profit from your drone video ?

Hardly - it is more I have been lumbered with doing more work for the same fee.....but the law will see it as flying for commercial gain.

Hardly - it is more I have been lumbered with doing more work for the same fee.....but the law will see it as flying for commercial gain.
Well you have choices, law states you need a PFCO to earn, so look up PFCO courses, not sure on cost.
PL I assume you have ?

But the law states that if you fly with the intention of making a profit from that flight, it’s commercial, if you fly for fun or as a hobby flier and later that gets used commercially, no PFCO required.

Well you have choices, law states you need a PFCO to earn, so look up PFCO courses, not sure on cost.
PL I assume you have ?

But the law states that if you fly with the intention of making a profit from that flight, it’s commercial, if you fly for fun or as a hobby flier and later that gets used commercially, no PFCO required.

That sounds like a loophole that will get filled fairly quickly!

If you take a look at some of the different Facebook groups for UK Drone flying there are people that will help you obtain PfCO for much less than £1500. You need to know how to fly and the regulations but the operations manual is the main thing that will get be required your certificated. Maybe only £300-500.

You get get it for a lot less than £1500 these days. The flying of a lot of aircraft isn't difficult these days with all the GPS assistance etc, but it's a very good idea to be able to fly without it as we all know things do and will fail. The issue with doing anything even mildly construed as commercial is the insurance side, they simply won't cover you without a PfCO.

I'm currently looking in to doing it. Whilst I currently don't have a "business" need to, I think in the future I will try to sell some pictures.
That and let's be honest it's cool as f*** lol

Quick question for all you PfCO pilots.
When you create your flight plans... Do these also need to be approved by the CAA prior to flight?

Looking at the Mavic Air drone. What version of an iPhone is needed as controller? I ask as my Dobby needs an iPhone 6, not my iPhone 5s.....

TIA

Its a minor issue in any case, a lot of people prefer a dedicated device with decent specs with wifi and GPS but no SIM.
You need 2GB Ram and at least 2GB of space free for it to cache photos and video from the feed ideally (can be turned off)

As 4wd said and also processor is very important or you will get lag in go4, and needs to run iOS 9 and above (could be 11 now not looked lately) iphone 6/7 or above, but it’s cheaper and better to get an iPad mini (minimum mini 2 but really you want a mini 4) my mini 3 works ok, but needs to be empty of apps and will lag sometimes but only for second or two.

I've decided to build rather than buy a drone (well OK, that's buy AND build :) ) and I've started a thread to document the build on the off-chance anyone is interested
Camera Drone Build

Someone at work showed me footage and his dji spark... I want one!

What is the still and video quality like? How do they compare? I have used a GoPro (mainly for under water / wet or rides), a panny v750 (don’t use it much) and lately my iphone8 which seems pretty good for video. For stills (probably how I will use it the major time) I know it will not compare to my normal kit but would quality be around that of an iPhone?

Spark or Air are good starter drones, quality is more than acceptable in decent light.
Both have rather limited range and flight time, but it won't be such an issue considering you're supposed to keep it in sight anyway.

42591565560_3872282274_o.jpg

This is a great pic! Lovely stuff - whilst you say over-hyped, I'd be pretty chuffed with this! Think the quality is great.

Back