The General Drone-Related Thread

Considering the amount of police and media at the Airport over the last 24 hrs isn't it just a little strange that there have been no photos of the drones that apparently causing this problem?

Last edited:
when does a drone stop being a radio controlled model aircraft,

is it that quadcopters etc are easier to fly that they have become so popular?

Actually a little anecdote, a couple of years ago, I was working up near Sheffield on a landfill site, bird control. I was flying a small-ish Gyr x Saker at a little over 2Lbs ( or roughly a kilo for the yung'uns)
A couple of guys turned up with a drone about a meter across ( thats just over 3 feet for the rest of us :D )

They were about to do an aerial survey for the site owners.
The stopped by and expressed their concern that "Donut" may get scared once its in the air.
Donut was on her block, and sunning herself, not a care in the world. I assured them that the drone wouldn't phase her,
she had been "Manned" ( trained) to just about everything possible.
But I agreed that if she became agitated I'd put her back in the van until they had finished.

The Drone had been in the air about 5 minutes, approx 100 gulls appeared out of nowhere and started to mob the drone, rather like Corvids on a Buzzard.

The guys were about 100 yards away, but it was easy to tell they were the ones getting agitated, as they were running back and forth around the perimeter waving their arms about.
What was I to do? Send donut up to chase the gulls away from the drone I guess :D

Gulls chased off, drone safely on the ground and quickly packed away :D
When the guys drove slowly past me on their way out, I gave them the (y) and said no need to thank me its all in a days work,
They hardly made eye contact :D

"Christmas? Crisis at an airport"

4D8QsDwb.jpg

Gatwick reopens because the Police/Army are taking necessary actions...
Does this mean they will shoot down?

Gatwick reopens because the Police/Army are taking necessary actions...
Does this mean they will shoot down?
I'd assume some sort of lower level higher sensitive RADAR system to detect these small objects, and then notify aircraft to take necessary avoiding action.

I'd assume some sort of lower level higher sensitive RADAR system to detect these small objects, and then notify aircraft to take necessary avoiding action.
An aircraft can hardly manoeuvre to avoid a drone, since the aircraft is relatively ponderous and the drone is very agile.

It's all coming to pass, in a way - the negative aspects of drone technology. This potential was built in from the start, just as, in a different field, issues were built in to the widespread use of plastics.

And it's hardly yet begun.

Considering the amount of police and media at the Airport over the last 24 hrs isn't it just a little strange that there have been no photos of the drones that apparently causing this problem?
I heard on the radio that apparently the authorities have been appealing for members of the public who might have got photos of the drone(s). It seems that the authorities don't have one. It is weird.

An aircraft can hardly manoeuvre to avoid a drone, since the aircraft is relatively ponderous and the drone is very agile.
I don't mean when it is within a few metres of it! If the drone is spotted then any aircraft can be alerted, much the same as any other airprox issues.

I don't mean when it is within a few metres of it! If the drone is spotted then any aircraft can be alerted, much the same as any other airprox issues.
The drone in this case was spotted, and the aircraft were alerted (and grounded or diverted). So your point is ...

It's all coming to pass, in a way - the negative aspects of drone technology. This potential was built in from the start, just as, in a different field, issues were built in to the widespread use of plastics.

And it's hardly yet begun.
Yes, guided autonomous flight was strictly regulated in this country until the big corporations started showing an interest.

The drone in this case was spotted, and the aircraft were alerted (and grounded or diverted). So your point is ...
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I stated that I thought the military may be able to spot drones earlier than the civil RADAR system, and therefore provide an earlier warning to aircraft. If you want to make something of this then crack on mate. You are clearly much more knowledgeable about the subject, maybe give the BBC a call and you can discuss it on Jeremy Vine at lunchtime.

Re the shooting. Bullets coming down can be as lethal as when they are on the way up.

In the great British tradition, given our inability to deal with much at all, I won't be surprised if there is an outright ban on drones within 2 years.

Last edited:
Re the shooting. Bullets coming down can be as lethal as when they are on the way up.

In the great British tradition, given our inability to deal with much at all, I won't be surprised if there is an outright ban on drones within 2 years.
Sadly I think you are right and yet again the majority of users will be punished for the actions of a very small group.

Shot in the air is hardly a risk I wouldn't have thought. Sharp shooter and sniper rifle is another way.

A Single round is hard to hit a moving target, plus carry much more velocity than a shotgun's multiple pellets, but obviously a shotgun has a limited range.

A Single round is hard to hit a moving target,
I know people in "wildlife management" that would be more than capable of that, ( and regularly do) especially with today's ( spotting and tracking ) technology

So if you miss, try again ;)

I hate the things with all my being, I'd love the chance to shoot one out the sky.

Quite a small area with lots of expensive things in it. peoples houses, planes, infrastructure, radars etc. If you miss there'd be an arc for the round to travel which could be quite big.
hence the thoughts of shotgun but you'd have to get close. I suspect the operator would see them coming and the drone would leg it at max speed

There is of course the issue of what the drone lands on, ever see a lipo explode, quite impressive!

All reminds me of my trip to RIAT in the summer. Warnings everywhere telling you that drones were not permitted anywhere on or near the airfield. I pass some guy selling hardware with boxes of drones piled high. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Shotgun pellets fired up are pretty harmless when they come down. They are tiny and not aerodynamic but the load and pattern can be selected for the target. A shotgun with goose loads would work for 50+ yards. Airgun pellets are a lot heavier and will dent a thin tin can at 200 yards but wouldn't have enough go to drop a drone. Probably good enough for up to 100 yards to go through a thin plastic drone but it would have to be static. Real bullets would be a bad idea as they are all lethal out to long ranges.

I'm in favour of a rapid reaction vehicle with shotgun armed police. Also a police drone to track the illegal drone back to its source.

Shot in the air is hardly a risk I wouldn't have thought. Sharp shooter and sniper rifle is another way.
It's where the bullet and bits of drone come down. There are a lot of fairly expensive aeroplanes around an airport and getting a hole in the top of one them from a falling bullet or shrapnel might go unnoticed until the cabin is pressurised :eek:

Shot from a shot gun going through a turbine probably wouldn't be good either.

There should be an electronic answer. And it would have to be licensed.

A shotgun would probably be quite effective if used on the rogue drone operator rather than the drone itself. Just an idea for consideration perhaps? :whistle: ;)

Last edited:
A shotgun would probably be quite effective if used on the rogue drone operator rather than the drone itself. Just an idea for consideration perhaps? :whistle: ;)
Good idea, but they can't find him / her :D

Good idea, but they can't find him / her :D

Only joking, it is Christmas after all. Mind you, this incident seems to have raised questions about the environmental impact of cheap air travel, so some good might come out of this? For instance, with renewed concerns about climate change being voiced recently, does it make good sense to fly your children to Lapland to see Santa, when the Round Table probably bring him past your house on the back of a float?

Last edited:
I doubt they will find them if they can avoid bragging about it on "social media". If the police had got the drone they might have got some forensics but they couldn't find them when they were somewhere near the Gatwick perimeter, it's got to be less likely now. Someone is in for a fun Christmas looking at thousands of hours of CCTV though

Back