The General Drone-Related Thread

A few from holiday with the Mavic Mini 2.

Ordered some filters today for it.

Getting the hang of it!

Just got to read up on how to get it off auto and into manual mode

Attachments

• 2021-08-22_10-19-48.jpg
    2021-08-22_10-19-48.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2021-08-22_10-19-44.jpg
    2021-08-22_10-19-44.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021-08-22_10-19-13.jpg
    2021-08-22_10-19-13.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2021-08-22_10-19-56.jpg
    2021-08-22_10-19-56.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2021-08-22_11-15-20.jpg
    2021-08-22_11-15-20.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021-08-22_11-14-56.jpg
    2021-08-22_11-14-56.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2021-08-22_11-15-00.jpg
    2021-08-22_11-15-00.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 9
They'll probably help but try subtle differences in the way you use the sticks.
I often see people with their thumbs directly on top which is kind of how they are meant to be used but it's hard to maintain a steady position to give smooth forward motion let alone more complex moves like arcing.
I mostly rest my hand and fingers on the controller, pinching the sticks and use a rolling motion to gradually apply pressure to the sticks and maintain a precise position once it's doing what I want. Keep the bottom part of your hand/fingers still because they are on the controller body.

Last edited:
Anyone use the "Cinesticks" by Scottymakessstuff.com?
If so what are your thoughts on them?
I think they are probably worth a try.

I find it hard to fly the Mini 2 slow enough even in cine mode to get look I want I would be interested to see how you get on with them.

What is the photo image quality difference between the Mini 2 and the Air 2S? Torn between the two.
Air 2s has a one inch sensor the same as the Mavic 2 pro, so image quality is better in lower light and just in general. Whilst the mini isn’t bad under any stretch, it’s not as good as the air2s

Air 2s has a one inch sensor the same as the Mavic 2 pro, so image quality is better in lower light and just in general. Whilst the mini isn’t bad under any stretch, it’s not as good as the air2s
Cheers Tom. It’s the better image quality of the Air 2’s against the ability to fly the Mini in more places plus then I believe the Air will be put into Cat 3 when the grace period for the regs ends. Happy to do the A2 CofC course so that’s no problem.

The River Esk where it empties into the Solway Firth. Mavic Air 2.74CBB426-511D-4B2F-8478-FE8D93819A0F.jpeg

watch out for those swallows/house martins/swifts (del as applicable), I got hounded by a swarm of them not long back. took forever to get it down safely.
They are usually fast enough to look after themselves I fancy Swallows play with it at times.
One of the worst are Oyster Catchers we seemed to have an unusually large number last year and when chicks were still on the ground they would mob round you in quite a scary way even though you were nowhere near them and 200ft up.
I have an extreme close-up of part of a wing somewhere.

Yesterday I caught this

bigview.jpg

When I got home I realised I also caught ... Some more detail o_O

view2.jpg

view3.jpg

Mavic Pro 3 with a 4/3 hasselblad camera and 46 minute flight time, looks very nice!

It's funny some of the youtubers saying how amazing it is but they didn't even have pre-release firmware to fly it.
It's clearly a decent step up from Mavic2 Pro especially low light performance which has never been good due to small sensor.

Tibbie Shiels Inn is currently closed, unfortunately ….,

Can I pick the brains of any drone rule experts/ Are we abiding by ANO or CAA? I have a mild threatening letter for flying somewhere,cant post it publicly but would appreciate anyone casting an eye over it. So far as I can tell -owning a mavic mini- I didnt break any rules not sure ANO apply.
Thanks.

Can I pick the brains of any drone rule experts/ Are we abiding by ANO or CAA? I have a mild threatening letter for flying somewhere,cant post it publicly but would appreciate anyone casting an eye over it. So far as I can tell -owning a mavic mini- I didnt break any rules not sure ANO apply.
Thanks.
Both. The ANO was updated last year to cover drone use and is part of the whole new category system which is also part of the CAA regulations. ANO rules can stop any flight in a certain area, so it depends where you were.

Hiya, I've got quite an urge to try a drone, complete novice but after advice in my wanted ad and a google search, all seems straight forward regards requiring flyer ID and operator ID.

I also would like to try some goggles :) I wasn't aware I'd need a spotter ( obvious though once pointed out) but that's not a problem. Most of my flying with the goggles will be done on the South Pennine moors and nowhere new people, roads ect, so little pressure on my spotter

After doing some internet searches, I realised I'm fairly limited to which DJI drones are compatible with their goggles.

So......my question is, has anyone ever tried phone goggles similar to these

I appreciate quality might not be great but it'll widen my choice of drones and give me a taste of what I'm after.

Thanks

Hiya, I've got quite an urge to try a drone, complete novice but after advice in my wanted ad and a google search, all seems straight forward regards requiring flyer ID and operator ID.

I also would like to try some goggles :) I wasn't aware I'd need a spotter ( obvious though once pointed out) but that's not a problem. Most of my flying with the goggles will be done on the South Pennine moors and nowhere new people, roads ect, so little pressure on my spotter

After doing some internet searches, I realised I'm fairly limited to which DJI drones are compatible with their goggles.

So......my question is, has anyone ever tried phone goggles similar to these

I appreciate quality might not be great but it'll widen my choice of drones and give me a taste of what I'm after.

Thanks
Pretty sure that won't work. Not for dji drones at least. The drone controller has to plugged into the phone. And presumably those goggles need to plugged into the phone too.

Pretty sure that won't work. Not for dji drones at least. The drone controller has to plugged into the phone. And presumably those goggles need to plugged into the phone too.

Right! thanks Tom, I was thinking controller connected through blue tooth :rolleyes:........more research required

Right! thanks Tom, I was thinking controller connected through blue tooth :rolleyes:........more research required
Hi Phil, the cheapest way to try out goggles and drone is probably something like this,

You can research away to your hearts content but you won't really know until you have tried them, I used a very similar set up about three or four years ago and couldn't get on with them for several reasons, main one was I wear glasses and needed correction lenses in the goggles, after a lot of faffing around I gave up.

Good luck

I did try a crude version of goggles where you literally put your phone in a slot and connected as normal.
It does transform the experience however I changed the phone to a larger one so only used it a handful of times.
I will often fly mine while sitting in a vehicle as bright light on the screen especially sun is a real problem.
Range is usually affected much less than you would think in any case I don't really do long distance any more it is more or less elevated tripod mode within a few yards of where I am.

I picked up the DJI Mavic Mini this week (£259 for the Fly More Combo in Argos, what a bargain!)

Paid for the Operator ID, technically don't need a Flyer ID but did the test anyway, only took 10 minutes and it's basically impossible to fail.

I live on edge of Salisbury Plain and next to Keevil Airfield, so locations are extremely limited here. The first thing I learned is that the DJI Geomap is in no way reflective of the actual CAA red zones, so much planning is required to fly legally and safely here.

I picked up the DJI Mavic Mini this week (£259 for the Fly More Combo in Argos, what a bargain!)

Paid for the Operator ID, technically don't need a Flyer ID but did the test anyway, only took 10 minutes and it's basically impossible to fail.

I live on edge of Salisbury Plain and next to Keevil Airfield, so locations are extremely limited here. The first thing I learned is that the DJI Geomap is in no way reflective of the actual CAA red zones, so much planning is required to fly legally and safely here.
Has it fully updated, there is usually an update to the geofencing every time I turn on the Mavic 2

Has it fully updated, there is usually an update to the geofencing every time I turn on the Mavic 2

Yes all up to date (today in fact!), the Training Area boundary hasn't changed for years, no idea why they don't use the official CAA map.

At a guess, as the DJI map exactly follows the ground perimeter (which is a footpath) they've used other maps to create boundaries manually. That would also explain why they miss small airports sometimes.

Reactions: 4wd
Hi Phil, the cheapest way to try out goggles and drone is probably something like this,

You can research away to your hearts content but you won't really know until you have tried them, I used a very similar set up about three or four years ago and couldn't get on with them for several reasons, main one was I wear glasses and needed correction lenses in the goggles, after a lot of faffing around I gave up.

Good luck

Thanks Tim, that's got to be worth considering, I'm only an hour from Hull so would be happy to go collect/see before I buy. I'll get the wife to send them a message with a couple of questions ( I've no ebay account), cheers

Looks great for little money, just checked availability, I'd have considered one at that price but it's sold out :banghead:

Anyone tried this with a wifi dongle and casting to phone? Unless I'm missing something, it's a way to use any googles with any drone?

A little awkward but power source and dongle would easily fit in coat pockets.

Thoughts, negative or positive appreciated, apologies for going about this but it's all a learning curve, thanks :)

View: https://youtu.be/EEp-EQCni7Q

Back