The General Drone-Related Thread

I got carried away...
DJI Mini 2, ~350ft, ~270* FOV. Hugin stitcher
vahPYAj.jpg

Last edited:
Mini 2 picked up today (anyone want a mini in great condition check out classifieds!!)

So, torn between Coverdrone and DJI refresh - had refresh on mini but never used it. Cost is 45 for DJI and 50 for coverdrone so basically the same. With DJI it will cost me around 50 for a new drone or 200 if i can't retrieve it. Coverdrone is £100. So I guess it what is more likely... losing the drone or just crashing!

Based on my experience the DJI option is the better bet I have had few crashes but never come close to losing one.

I picked up the mavic mini from @cambsno a few days ago. I need to get around to working out of the legal limitations etc of using a drone. There are more than I thought.

can I ask does anyone have third party liability insurance? Im wondering if it’s worth having as a hobbyist drone user.

I’m thinking of doing the A2 C of C, even though it’s not really needed for the mini, as I’d like to understand and learn

A2 C of C sale price UVHub later this month:

I picked up the mavic mini from @cambsno a few days ago. I need to get around to working out of the legal limitations etc of using a drone. There are more than I thought.

can I ask does anyone have third party liability insurance? Im wondering if it’s worth having as a hobbyist drone user.

I’m thinking of doing the A2 C of C, even though it’s not really needed for the mini, as I’d like to understand and learn

A2 C of C sale price UVHub later this month:

There is no need for insurance for non commercial use but I always preferer to be insured. If you intend to do some commercial work then you need to be insured under CAP 722 you can buy this on a job by job basis though.

If you are just using it for non commercial photography you could join the BMFA drone section, the £38 membership includes a very high level of insurance.

There is no need for insurance for non commercial use but I always preferer to be insured. If you intend to do some commercial work then you need to be insured under CAP 722 you can buy this on a job by job basis though.

If you are just using it for non commercial photography you could join the BMFA drone section, the £38 membership includes a very high level of insurance.
Thanks I will take a look. I don’t plan to do anything commercial but would like to be covered for the what if especially with a drone which could potentially go wrong in flight even if you’re doing everything right.

ND Filters - anyone use them?

Never used filters on my cameras, but thinking they may useful for the times I do shoot video. Thinking either of these. In the real world do people use them and find them useful?

The purpose is to slow your shutter to create a degree of motion blur thus smoother video in bright conditions.
It would be unusual to need them for photos but given the good stability they have now you would be Ok with it on to take photos while it was out.
I don't think it's worth bothering until you need ND8 or ND16
If that drone doesn't allow manual shutter or you use auto mainly the benefit largely disappears.

Pano from above my house taken the other day. Mavic 2 pro.

4EE2034E-5602-4692-AE88-0188097F58DA.jpeg

Reactions: RIR
ND Filters - anyone use them?

Never used filters on my cameras, but thinking they may useful for the times I do shoot video. Thinking either of these. In the real world do people use them and find them useful?

I use the I normally use Polarpro filters but they don't do one for the Mavic mini so ended up with the Freewell version. Unfortunately they give everything a slight magenta cast so it's worth shooting a couple of seconds of a white balance card before the flight so you can correct it in post if you shoot in manual WB.

I generally used ND 8 filters. I like to shoot with a higher shutter speed than the normal 1/50s as I find it makes everything too blurry. I normally try and go for 1/120 or 1/150 which I find gives a good balance of blur and overall sharpness. Also you generally want a higher shutter speed to give you sharp stills and something like an ND32 may not allow you to do this. An ND 8 gives a good compromise and means you don't have to keep landing to swap filters if it goes a bit overcast.

Can someone please advise me about the differences in the drones as they're pickling my head!

Basically, seen these 2 and they look pretty much the same to me!

I want to use it for family holidays, youtube videos and also possibly, possibly in the future some commercial with estate agent aerial imagery.

Last time I had a drone it was a cheap 'toy' one and flying it was a disaster so how easy are the dji drones to fly?

Lastly I saw about insurance, I have camera insurance but don't know if that'll cover drone usage?

It's basically the same older model, the combo has a compact bag designed for it and probably two additional batteries plus other odd bits like (maybe) an adapter to use leftover battery to top up your phone or the controller by USB.
It is very hard to manage without at least one spare battery, three is the sweet spot.

The Air2 is or Air2S is a better buy.
It costs more, it's worth it really.
Flying it is absurdly easy, older drones you can gradually run into problems with incompatible apps and different firmwares as how they updated was quite clutzy until recently.
The tech was developing incredibly quickly but has slowed somewhat the past 2 or 3 years.

Can someone please advise me about the differences in the drones as they're pickling my head!

Basically, seen these 2 and they look pretty much the same to me!

I want to use it for family holidays, youtube videos and also possibly, possibly in the future some commercial with estate agent aerial imagery.

Last time I had a drone it was a cheap 'toy' one and flying it was a disaster so how easy are the dji drones to fly?

Lastly I saw about insurance, I have camera insurance but don't know if that'll cover drone usage?
The fly more combo usually comes with additional accessories such as extra batteries.have you considered the mavic mini. I recently picked up a mavic mini fly more combo off here for about the same price as the spark fly more from MPB that you link to (not yet taken it out). With the new regulations the mavic mini gives a bit more freedom as it’s under 250g. I gather the spark is circa 300g so it in the next category up and will need the A2 C of C to gain further freedom. It may be worth searching for a mini if they are in your price range.

I posted recently about insurance. I’m thinking more of liability insurance rather to cover the cost of damaging/losing the drone.

I’m still trying to work out exactly what I need in place before testing my mini out. Need to get some experience flying it before taking it out for proper photography trip.

Thanks both, if you're new into looking at drones I now know it's not a case of buying and off you go!

So either of these would be no good then and I should keep looking for a smaller drone like the Mavic Mini.

I can't fly a drone local to where I live anyways as I live about 300m away from an airport hence me thinking holidays and youtube videos away from my gaff!

Thanks both, if you're new into looking at drones I now know it's not a case of buying and off you go!

So either of these would be no good then and I should keep looking for a smaller drone like the Mavic Mini.

I can't fly a drone local to where I live anyways as I live about 300m away from an airport hence me thinking holidays and youtube videos away from my gaff!
Have you read the new regulations? I went with a mini as it’s in the sub 250g category and gives slightly more freedom regarding flying near people. There are a few YouTube videos that explain the regs for different drones quite well.

I’m thinking of doing the A2 C of C training as I’m hoping it gives good explanation of the regs and how to adhere to them. I gather it’s not strictly needed with the mini as it’s in the A1 legacy class. I’m still very new to it all and trying to get my head around it all as there is much more to it than I originally thought.

Okay!
So doing this right, I've been on the government website and got my flyer ID and operator ID with the theory test.

Part 1 complete.

Part 2! If I understand right, and it was late when I read through the CAA Drone and Model Aircraft Code before sitting the test so I'll reread tomorrow and digest better, but if I have a sub 250g drone then it's the height of flying close to people but if I have a heavier drone then I can fly this still but distances to people must be increased?

So!

Mavic Mini 2 arrived today. I bought a new fly more combo kit. I've downloaded DJI Fly and also Drone Assist and have the batteries on charge as well as the controller on charge.

64gb SanDisk Extreme V30 A2 memory card coming tomorrow from Amazon at £12. Forgot about that when I bought it!

Question is, it says it needs to be activated and registered when it's turned on for the first time. I live by an airport so in the red zone but am I able to fire it up in the living room to activate and register. Also wanted to get some basic control practise in cine mode so nice and slow indoors. As I live in the red zone am I allowed to fly indoors or not?

Also it said on the CAA website when I took my theory that I have to have written on the drone my operator ID. Any ideas, rather than to sharpie it that'll look naff?

The cine mode isn't ideal for indoors it will slow down braking I suspect.
You'll have little or no GPS which greatly impacts the ability to stay on point
In fact don't fly it indoors at all especially on day one it's a disaster waiting to happen and a common cause of early crashing.
Just be patient and find a proper open area for first few flights.
Go up above tree height and drive about like a car getting used to gradual increased pressure on sticks.
Try to do figure 8s and constant radius arcs manually while keeping your subject framed.

Last edited:
So!

Mavic Mini 2 arrived today. I bought a new fly more combo kit. I've downloaded DJI Fly and also Drone Assist and have the batteries on charge as well as the controller on charge.

64gb SanDisk Extreme V30 A2 memory card coming tomorrow from Amazon at £12. Forgot about that when I bought it!

Question is, it says it needs to be activated and registered when it's turned on for the first time. I live by an airport so in the red zone but am I able to fire it up in the living room to activate and register. Also wanted to get some basic control practise in cine mode so nice and slow indoors. As I live in the red zone am I allowed to fly indoors or not?

Also it said on the CAA website when I took my theory that I have to have written on the drone my operator ID. Any ideas, rather than to sharpie it that'll look naff?
Go on eBay and get some drone Id stickers. I’ve also got my phone number on a sticker and battery label stickers. They weren’t expensive.

edit.. got mine here.

Last edited:
Yep. Got drone stickers on eBay. A few quid. Came in a couple of days and the transparent backing so looks good.

Ffs. In Cornwall this week and every time I head out (almost) it’s too windy. St Michaels mount yesterday too gusty. Did take it up over a stone circle and mousehole for a quickie and it was moving around a lot. At Charlestown now and still gusty!!

Ffs. In Cornwall this week and every time I head out (almost) it’s too windy. St Michaels mount yesterday too gusty. Did take it up over a stone circle and mousehole for a quickie and it was moving around a lot. At Charlestown now and still gusty!!

Very disappointing. Sadly, the forecast doesn't look promising.

Thanks @TCR4x4, Just bought them so I'll wait for them to arrive. They look much better and professional looking.

Update. All registered. I pressed the take off button and up it went. Practised moving around the living room before then pressing the land button. All batteries charged and everything is back in the box awaiting the stickers and memory card. Hopefully end of the week it'll all be complete and I can drive to a local beach that's not in the red restricted zone to have an outdoor fly.

Presuming if I want to use the drone eventually for paid work such as aerial wedding images or real estate then I'll need insurance. I have camera insurance at the moment with public liability and indemnity so I'll see if my insurance covers drones also. Also I think I read that the A2 C of C will need to be undertaken as well?

Not running before I can walk, just thinking long term and the steps I need to take in the right order to do it all properly.

Thanks @TCR4x4, Just bought them so I'll wait for them to arrive. They look much better and professional looking.

Update. All registered. I pressed the take off button and up it went. Practised moving around the living room before then pressing the land button. All batteries charged and everything is back in the box awaiting the stickers and memory card. Hopefully end of the week it'll all be complete and I can drive to a local beach that's not in the red restricted zone to have an outdoor fly.

Presuming if I want to use the drone eventually for paid work such as aerial wedding images or real estate then I'll need insurance. I have camera insurance at the moment with public liability and indemnity so I'll see if my insurance covers drones also. Also I think I read that the A2 C of C will need to be undertaken as well?

Not running before I can walk, just thinking long term and the steps I need to take in the right order to do it all properly.

You don't need A2CofC for the Mini2. Just crack on. That being said, with the price reductions and offers, for £99 or so, it really wouldn't hurt, and you do actually learn some useful things.

Go on eBay and get some drone Id stickers. I’ve also got my phone number on a sticker and battery label stickers. They weren’t expensive.

edit.. got mine here.

That’s really useful. Cheaper than me buying a new label tape. Great number too. I’ve seen one sticker for the same price.

You don't need A2CofC for the Mini2. Just crack on. That being said, with the price reductions and offers, for £99 or so, it really wouldn't hurt, and you do actually learn some useful things.

Thought it might help sweeten the airport if I had a wedding to shoot in the restricted zone and wanted to request low level airspace for some drone photography of the big day.

That’s really useful. Cheaper than me buying a new label tape. Great number too. I’ve seen one sticker for the same price.
If you want to PM me your OP ID, I'll send you some transparent background Dymo labels, FOC :)

Taking advantage of some offers I've bought an Air 2S fly more, it's due tomorrow. Currys & Jessops are selling them for £999 at the moment. Luckily I didn't buy it the day before from Clifton! I'm also in the process of doing the A2 CoC with AUV Hub.
Best all round package out there currently, and not too costly.
Back in about 2014 the ghastly vision/vision plus were more than that but still seemed good at the time

I’m about to buy the A2 C of C from UAVHUB whilst it’s still on offer. I have a mavic mini. I’m guessing there isn’t much of a benefit as the mini is under 250g but useful for the experience and info it gives.

with the mini if you attach any additional accessories like ND filters/propeller guards do they officially take the weight over 250g?

I’m about to buy the A2 C of C from UAVHUB whilst it’s still on offer. I have a mavic mini. I’m guessing there isn’t much of a benefit as the mini is under 250g but useful for the experience and info it gives.

with the mini if you attach any additional accessories like ND filters/propeller guards do they officially take the weight over 250g?

Easiest way is to pop it on your kitchen scales.

Yes. The mini is 249g takeoff weight. Anything extra pushes it over.

Yes. The mini is 249g takeoff weight. Anything extra pushes it over.
I've not been able to find a clear definition whether its weight limit is the actual weight at take off (with accessories) or just the spec sheet weight.

The mini (including battery and card ) and without any accessories is 249g. Im guessing adding anything like a filter or prop guards and it will be 250g. Im not even sure adding the operator sticker won't take it over the magic 250g limit (I'm not sure what a small label weighs!).

Easiest way is to pop it on your kitchen scales.
I've already done that. It just feels so light for its size that I had to check if it really is 249g. With battery and micro SD card it is 249g. Camera manuafacturers are often a bit dubious with weights by not including things like hoods or lens caps which you'd have with them in the bag.

Got some good use of the Mini 2 in Cornwall this week - sadly the weather stopped me using it around Porthcurno beach and St Michaels Mount but got quite a few around Fowey where we stayed as well as a stone circle.

1. Polruan (viewed from mid-estuary)
Cornwall July 2021-112 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

2. Fowey
Cornwall July 2021-117 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

3. Boats
Cornwall July 2021-131 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

4. Fowey
Cornwall July 2021-115 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

5. Bodinnick Ferry
Cornwall July 2021-129 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

I have been missing in action for a few weeks, it has been long days and some evenings going home have been hampered by muppetry at the wheel... what should be 1.5 hours has been 3.5 and even 4 one night.... why do people drive so stupidly? Anyway, I got the drone out and took some views of work now it has settled into a routine. I run the pontoon and safety boat, the first one got stolen the very first night... they have proper security now it cost them to replace it. We should be done in a couple of weeks, then I can have some time off.webDJI_0694.jpg

webDJI_0683.jpg

Back