The General Drone-Related Thread

Quick Mavic video - first use - more to play with settings and rendering than anything.
Even in Art you want sharpening way down, this is -1 and got Vision Plus style artefacts but it looks infinitely better on Smart TV for some reason.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfnKQnGhLY

Video looks very crisp but there's a lot of digital smoothing going on.
I think for closer subjects this won't be an issue and in general results are a significant improvemnt on P3 but not sure about P4.
The best thing by far is the extreme compactness and much quieter than Phantom 3 too.
The whole thing including controller and charger if needed easily fits in a bag I used to carry my 5D mk2 with 28-105 lens.

31209196681_07c660c332_b.jpg

I've just got the Yuneec Breeze ( I can hear you laughing at the back) going to try it tomorrow, size was important the smaller the better this got good reviews + I don't need a TX + when we're away in the caravan ( touring not static) we eventually end up in the middle of knowhere.

I looked at the Mavic but the price had me crying.

I've just got the Yuneec Breeze ( I can hBear you laughing at the back) going to try it tomorrow, size was important the smaller the better this got good reviews + I don't need a TX + when we're away in the caravan ( touring not static) we eventually end up in the middle of knowhere.

Be very interested to hear your thoughts on it and see some footage

I've just got the Yuneec Breeze ( I can hear you laughing at the back) going to try it tomorrow, size was important the smaller the better this got good reviews + I don't need a TX + when we're away in the caravan ( touring not static) we eventually end up in the middle of knowhere.

I think the Mavic is really well priced.

Mavic batteries are a lot cheaper too because they are also very small.
My second one is arriving Monday - ordered with it and end of September, I think I'll get a third.
With Phantoms, 3 was plenty for me and can charge with inverter in the car.

Mavic batteries are a lot cheaper too because they are also very small.
My second one is arriving Monday - ordered with it and end of September, I think I'll get a third.
With Phantoms, 3 was plenty for me and can charge with inverter in the car.

I ordered 2 more for the Yuneec and plan to charge with my inverter.

12 mins flight for the Yuneec is not long enough.

I'm certainly not laughing, the cult of DJI is strong in this thread... How are you finding the Breeze? I have a Typhoon Hex for "serious" droning, and a Blade Chroma that lives in the back of the car but take up some vital boot space.

Is the Breeze "responsive" from the app? I'm too used to me trying something new then going "nope" and hitting RTF, just a wee bit worried that I might lose a Breeze due to not traditional TX

How are you getting on with it? Clifton have it on offer for £369 at the mo

Did anyone go to the Drone Show at the weekend?

I went on Sunday. Was disappointingly small, I thought, but i guess the industry is still relatively small, although growing fast. May be bigger next year. The hall was shared with RC car stuff and one hall taken up with drone racing.

I had a good chat with my CAA NQE and had a nice catch up. Had a look at the Mavic and the Inspire 2 as well. Bloomin' 'eck that Inspire 2 looks good, but an eyewatering price. Will be sticking with my Inspire Pro for a while methinks

Last edited:
How are you getting on with it? Clifton have it on offer for £369 at the mo
Staufanbiel in Germany have it for £307 until 7th January. Quite tempted. I've bought bits from them before, they're good and reliable. Sometimes get emails in German but thats what Google Translate is for

I see GoPro are selling the Karma grip on it's own now
http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/stabilization
This is what they should have come out with originally.
Karma Drone as still listed as 'coming soon' though.

It is almost comical the Drone page describes it as 'Ultra Compact' alongside a mountainbiker with an unfeasibly large backpack that looks like t might contain at very least a full sized parachute

Last edited:
Where did you order from @4wd?

I've had my eye on a Mavic since they were announced but there seems to be a global shortage. I've seen yourself and one other in the UK with them. I'm hoping to be in a position to order after Christmas but no idea who to order from - I'm wondering how the stock allocation works etc. Be good to know who you or anyone else has had success with thanks.

Dan

Mine was ordered from RC Geeks at the end of September, I think Maplins are as good as anyone just now for getting frequent batches.
Id be surprised if the tight supply situation doesn't improve in the New Year.

Anyone have an opinion of the fly more package for the Mavic? In two minds whether to just buy the extra bits I want. I'm not convinced I need or want the bag :) There seem to be some reasonably priced hard cases specifically for the Mavic available.

The car charger is able to top up batteries quicker than the mains one, however you have to have the engine running to operate it as it needs 13.8v or whatever.
You can get 12v chargers on ebay from China about £10 by all reports seem to do the job no problem.
Bear in mind the battery smart feature deal with balancing cells etc - the charger is really just a power supply.
The bag is OK but very snug fit - if you already have an SLR sized bag or backpack it will be more versatile and have space for a few extra bits.
So really the main useful included parts are two extra batteries, which are now regularly available at about £85.

Anyone here have the new phantom4 pro? Mines making a loud fan noise at startup. Read about some people having it and others not. Not sure wether to contact DJI.

I'm not surprised it has a loud fan, on the Mavic one starts after about a minute, the controller has one too though not as loud.

Looks ace @4wd! I've got mine coming hopefully at the end of January. I got in the queue just when it was 2-4 weeks but is now 4-6 weeks! I ordered from Wex with additional battery and the multi-charger.

Strange that the Mavic is £100 cheaper from Apple?

Weird but they did buy DJI did they not? Or something along those lines. Wonder if you can get student discount on it? A friend of mine got a MacBook Pro with a hefty student discount and free beats headphones and they never even asked him for the student card when he ordered online!

Just did a quick search, and Apple have a "partnership" with DJI. Still seems very odd that anything would be cheaper in an Apple store :)

Pretty sure apple were selling a re-branded Zhiyun 3-axis phone stabiliser for a while, they just get stranger with their affiliations. I'm thinking DJI are at "peak drone" presently, so attaching themselves to the apple brand will likely do them well in the short to medium term. Whether or not they become the GoPro of the drone world will remain to be seen. And no, I'm not referring to the Karma.

DJI website now has the estimate of 7-10 working days i.e 1-2 weeks! They must have ramped up production like they said they would. Initially they said they were having issues getting up to speed but seems they've done so. Here's hoping my Mavic comes much sooner then :))

I did the same yesterday 4wd. Was gutted when I got home but the jpegs were still decent. I'm just editing a lil flight around castle coch in Wales and I'll share with you guys.

Just received an email, from DJI, so it looks like there are going to be some very happy people soon.

"Dear DJI Customer,
Thank you for your continued support of DJI!
We wanted to let you know that now’s the time to pick up that Mavic Pro you’ve had your eye on. This small yet powerful drone can go with you everywhere, turning the sky into your creative canvas and making every moment an aerial moment.
Order today and your Mavic Pro will ship before January 18."

Just received an email, from DJI, so it looks like there are going to be some very happy people soon.

"Dear DJI Customer,
Thank you for your continued support of DJI!
We wanted to let you know that now’s the time to pick up that Mavic Pro you’ve had your eye on. This small yet powerful drone can go with you everywhere, turning the sky into your creative canvas and making every moment an aerial moment.
Order today and your Mavic Pro will ship before January 18."

I had the same email this morning and ordered one :)

Back