The Good Old Days

the Archers and knowing that the signature tune at the end of the episode was Matron's cure to put us to bed

Mum went through "the final curtain" to Barwick Green and the Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum started just as the curtains closed behind the box.

What? You never had a pair of Green Flashes?
Maybe it was that maybe it wasn't :D

( in my defence Green flash's were supplied by work inside the "clean area" and they were very comfortable too.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
The lemon smelly wipe thing in a box of KFC.

Tastes like Chicken
:coat:

I'm not sure when they stopped putting the wipes in the box but the smell was one I'll never forget, the type of smell that takes you back. I'm guessing they stopped using them for environmental reasons.

My sister used to live in London and I'd go to stay with her and my bro in law during the school holidays, every Friday was a Colonel's meal from KFC, when it came in a box, this was mid 70s.

1/2 pint of 2* on the road the ride through with a heel down to ignite it!

Fine Fare supermarkets :)

Green Shield stamps, cigarette cards, well behaved children...

10 bob postal orders for birthday gifts from my aunt.

The Goon Show

Educating Archie

Take It From Here

Round the Horn and Beyond Our Ken

and

3 up 2 down

Toilet in the corner of the garden, only a cold tap in the house, coal fires etc.

School dinners

Life in the 40's and 50's

Then, early 60's, University digs, no such thing as living in a flat!

Howard

Round the Horn, crikey yeah I remember that ;)

When a "Cookie" was either an american biscuit or that fella off 77 Sunset Strip that kept combing his quiff!

When petrol was cheap enough to wash the parts in when you stripped the engine, and poured the old oil down the drain (not me of course. I never did that!).

When petrol was cheap enough to wash the parts in when you stripped the engine, and poured the old oil down the drain (not me of course. I never did that!).

I can remember doing a decoke on the expansion chamber of my two stroke motorcycle. The neighbour made a little bonfire, we took the baffles out of the exhaust chucked it on the fire and watched the acrid black fumes rise into the sky. It worked a treat, really helped the bike breathe better - Don't suppose Greta would have approved.

I recall that television pictures were in black and white until one day I was round my pals house and they had the Wimbledon tennis championships in colour!

The Golden Shot with Bob Monkhouse if I recall correctly.

” Heinz, the bolt!” He would call :)

The Navy Lark was my favourite radio programme, at 16 I began an apprenticeship as an. electrician at Falmouth Docks. A number of the electricians and mates had been in the RN from before and during WWII and when I said it was my favourite comedy I was told it was a documentary not a comedy.

Other things from back then, driving a Ferguson TF tractor on the farm, buying a supper pasty, price one shilling after coming out of the cinema, haymaking on our farm and our neighbours, with tea and saffron cake provided and the stunned look of my parents when they saw the first girls wearing mini skirts.

"Give us a twirl, Anthea!"

Leo Baxenale, creator of Eagle Eye Junior Spy, and his arch enemy Grimley Feendish as featured in the Wham! comic

Bax1_0517 (1).jpg

Out Of Town starring Jack Hargreaves :)

Tennis, when the girls stuffed their balls up their knickers. Still happens but now it's "they" who do it! Assuming that they still have spare ones???
:muted: ;)

It was. The memory of Ms Redfern (localish to me - she's from Newton Abbot) is from the good old days.

Got some Easter eggs over the weekend, and just brought me back to when 1-2 eggs was sufficient, because you got 2 bars and a decent sized egg! Now it's down-sized eggs and some have either only one bar or one pack of sweets for double the price!

Recently at work I've been using the large screen we have to entertain the guys [social care, ID center] - I'd been putting on Home and away or Eastenders, whatever is on repeat on RTE/Virgin media player around lunch time. Recently though, they've been loving Keeping up appearances - I get requests now to put "Mrs Bucket" on :ROFLMAO: It's not exactly 'old' but still a little blast from the past for me as my Mam loved that show, always reminds me of her.

School writing materials

Pencil
Copying pencil
Inkwells with dip pens which meant your writing was either a soggy mess or faint scratchings
Always with blue black ink

fountain pens
Cartridge pens

al the above contrived to get more ink on yourself and your clothing than the paper

The paper was invariably foolscap size

Last edited:
When an electric guitar was an acoustic with a pickup screwed to the bottom end of the fretboard!

Back