The Grand Tour (Clarkson, May & Hammond)

I watched it last night.

Comfortingly familiar films although some of the studio (or tent) stuff seemed a bit awkward at times.

Enjoyed it, tent stuff was probably dumbed down for the USA USA USA audience. Clarkson had the perfect opportunity to shoot down the wise crack about saving our arses but probably didn't want to get lynched.

I enjoyed it - some cringey bits in there but no more than there was in the original Top Gear. It was all about the big cars though- I miss the chat about average cars.

I enjoyed it - some cringey bits in there but no more than there was in the original Top Gear. It was all about the big cars though- I miss the chat about average cars.

Probably need to rewind to TG 2004 then, it's not been about cars for a loooong time.

watched it last night - loved the opening sequence film - more of that sort of thing please (though the "hello America" on-stage bit at the end of it kind of left me cold)

the whole "dead celebrities" bit and the faux "fight the audience" stuff was terrible - can't be sure if it was some skit on the lack of raport between Evans and the TG audience or if it was just a badly misjudged joke. Either way, it was a waste of download bandwidth.

other than that, well - IMO it's "proper" Top Gear but in a Tent not a Hanger.

Proper top gear complete with bad taste jokes and petty squabbling. Full fat not the watery semi skimmed effort that the BBC did. So much better.

Some of it seemed a bit awkward, seemed a bit americanised for my taste but guess they need to appeal globally, but still 10 times better than that t*** evens and the bbc put out.

I thought it was very good, the photography was very good, car coverage etc. Did think some of the "tent" stuff was too fake and a bit silly / awkward at times - hopefully this will become a bit more natural and less "forced" over the coming weeks.

Superb opening sequence...

Reactions: BBR
I watched it on you tube ...... on same night...... for free..... no subscription .....
it's ok but I wouldn't pay for it!!!!

I thought it was very good. Had me laughing out loud a few times. Probably more than the last series of Top Gear altogether. :( :rolleyes: I thought the celebrity entrances to the show were hilarious, and then not to have any of them 'make it' was a brave move for the first show. Whether that is the ongoing theme, time will tell. And sticking Carol Vorderman in there too after the Hollywood stars just shows that they still do their own thing.

I thought they were going to bottle it and not have any of the cars they were testing be the fastest over so many 'tests', but thankfully there was a winner. :)

I think they have done the minimal amount they could get away with having to change to not be Top Gear, and so have the BBC after them. It was a winning formula after all, at least until the BBC got rid of Clarkson, and so May and Hammond too. It will be interesting to see if and how it evolves over the series.

Saw a bit of it the other night - liked some of it, the dying celebs not so much after the parachute failed to open. Looked like proper TG to me.

I have Prime but I REFUSE to watch GT!
Ok. So I watched it by ACCIDENT.

Apart from the stupid dead celebrities bit and the fight scene, they did it all really well. Or "done it real good" . As they say.

Last edited:
I watched it all last night - genuinely entertaining, and with the budget they must have had, they'll be able to completely eclipse the BBC version.

Same old fellas will be watching the same old fellas. ;) :D

Looks like Amazon are happy with the launch.

Amazon Original The Grand Tour Breaks Viewership Records on Prime Video
The Grand Tour takes the number one position from the highly acclaimed Amazon Original TheMan in The High Castle

The Grand Tour is receiving unprecedented customer and critical acclaim – the show is the top rated TV show or movie on IMDb with an overall rating of 9.6 and over 10,000 votes, is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars by over 15,000 customers on Amazon, and has a score of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ:AMZN)–The debut episode of the highly anticipated new Amazon Original Series, The Grand Tour, has become the biggest show premiere ever on Amazon Prime Video, with millions of Prime members streaming the first episode in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Austria and Japan over the opening weekend.

Viewership has even exceeded that of the previous number one show, The Man in The High Castle.

Additionally, the day The Grand Tour debuted, total new Prime membership sign-ups exceeded all previous days with the exception of Amazon’s renowned Prime Day.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...inal The-Grand-Tour-Breaks-Viewership-Records

I'm sure there was an extra opt out for prime when I ordered something from amazon a few days ago - ended up with a month of it (prime) free. Took me ages to find the "Stop after free trial" button. That might account for the extra sign ups. I wonder what the actual viewing figure is compared to the old TG figures - the fact that it takes some effort to get at the new show makes its approval percentage unsurprising.

People were curious. And they may never watch it again. Especially if they like celebrities.

I thought it was a bit too car-centric for me.

I was a bit underwhelmed with episode 1, take away the intro and three hypercars then there wasn't a lot else going on.

Episode 2 was more of a let down, I gave up with about 10mins to go.

Clarkson needs TopGear and TopGear needs Clarkson.

Episode one was boring and self indulgent. I will not be watching any further episodes.

Episode 2 was brilliant. Keep it coming!
I enjoyed the first episode, but this one not so much. I've always liked Top Gear because of the cars, and their humour and messing about made it better. With the second episode they have gone too far away from the formula of the cars. :-/ The entrance of the celebrities, and their fate, was funny last week, but it doesn't work if you don't see it is the actual celebrity playing along with it. The Stig replacement wasn't so funny as he was just talking redneck BS.

I hope it's better next week.

Mostly enjoyed episode 1, episode 2 was a bit less enjoyable, and that whole military sequence really was a bit painful to watch, mostly as it reminded me of the worst of the over-scripted TG days. The trio are at their funniest when they're just being themselves rather than when they're trying to be comedy actors. Rather hoping the beeb didn't lay claim to the 'cheap car challenge' format, as those were always the ones I enjoyed most from the old Top Gear - seeing them driving around in rapidly disintegrating bangers seemed to always bring out the best in them.

And yes, that celebrity section just needs to be killed off.

Switched Episode 2 off halfway through. Just too painful to watch.

Back