The Great Meteorological Thread

I take comfort from the fact that the local "Santa" character is currently doing his fundraising rounds in our neibourhood, nd perhaps he might freeze to death :)

# "Freeze" a jolly good fellow. #

we woke up to this yesterday Ian ,,,do you think it will get wintry this far down next week ??

018_Copy_1.JPG

Heavy rain and wind here in North West Wales my weather station is reading 5'c we do have Snow on Snowdon however it is broken, so camera will remain in bag until mother nature shows up and dumps plenty more the white stuff :D

I woke up to around 2.5ins (of snow :D) Weds. morning.
and what with the sub-zero temps today, there is still a smattering laying here
and there tonight, too.

Evening all. This morning, I woke up to a clear and frosty start to the day, now it's windy and raining as I type. We seem to have gone from Winter back to Autumn.
However, all eyes towards the east next week as we expect to get our first taste of proper wintry weather. Probably last for about two to three days in the middle of the week with snow likely to affect the Eastern side of the UK.

Ah Ha!
I was wondering where this thread had got to.
Next week looks like it has potential to be properly 'interesting':)
Ian - how bad and and long ?

Also - what's your odds for a white Christmas?

I'd say that Southern and Eastern parts of the UK are most at risk of catching the snow as next week's cold snap hit it's "peak" on Wednesday and into Thursday. I think it'll be a three-days type event - short but quite sharp while it lasts.
Then it does look like a "breakdown" (a return to milder conditions) with an Atlantic depression system wanting to move in by the end of the week or into the weekend (not this coming one, the next one).
Once the "default" Atlantic stuff become established as we go into the middle part of December in then it is difficult for the cold continental air to try and move back in time for Christmas and so with that to mind I expect Christmas to be mild and snow free.
But I think Winter will return with a vengence in the New Year Bank holiday break and into the first half of January - but that's really entering crystal ball type forecasting.

Send it my way please ;)
I did try and it was sleeting on my way over to Bristol this morning ;)

I'd say that Southern and Eastern parts of the UK are most at risk of catching the snow as next week's cold snap hit it's "peak" on Wednesday and into Thursday. I think it'll be a three-days type event - short but quite sharp while it lasts.
Then it does look like a "breakdown" (a return to milder conditions) with an Atlantic depression system wanting to move in by the end of the week or into the weekend (not this coming one, the next one).
Once the "default" Atlantic stuff become established as we go into the middle part of December in then it is difficult for the cold continental air to try and move back in time for Christmas and so with that to mind I expect Christmas to be mild and snow free.
But I think Winter will return with a vengence in the New Year Bank holiday break and into the first half of January - but that's really entering crystal ball type forecasting.

Thanks for the up-date Ian (y)

Afternoon all from what is now a very wet Folkestone. It rained between 5 pm last night and 1 am this morning, then it started raining again at 10 am this morning (it even tried to turn into as snow for a time) and it's still raining now where there are pockets of flooding around the town (more to do with poor roadside drainage).

All in all, I have picked up 27 mm (an inch) of rain in the past 24 hours. A proper wet spell on the whole.

One of the flooded bits in the town, taken an hour ago by a friend:

430856_10152343268150440_1926942311_n.jpg

My it's been bighting cold today, around 7c but it certainly didn't feel it!

Certainly has been the case here today as the so-called Beast From The East bites in. :LOL:

No190-Igloo.jpg

At least it was quite bright all day, and is likely to be the same tomorrow and into Thursday (save for an odd wintry shower over the East Coast).

Then an Atlantic low pressure system roars back in on Thursday onwards with rising temperatures, strong winds and general rain - all back to normal stuff, then.
Although some of that rain may start off as snow over the high ground as it all runs into the cold air sitting over the country.

Forecast says fog today here but I can see the sky over the Met Office from where I'm sitting and while there are a few clouds around, they're sparse and high. Chuffing chilly!

Forecast says fog today here but I can see the sky over the Met Office from where I'm sitting and while there are a few clouds around, they're sparse and high. Chuffing chilly!

Really you'd think that Exeter would always get an accurate weather report these days. Perhaps they ought to use the old stone tied to a string method :LOL:

True! My wife teaches a few of the met office staff Yoga and when she asks what the weather's like, the usual answer is preceded by a wander over to the window!

:D Nod.

Just had a passing fleeting wintry type shower pass by here, just enough to give a dusting over the hills to the north of Folkestone. The Beast From The East has arrived, but tried not to miss it by blinking.

Regarding foggy conditions, I have highlighted the risk of that for tonight as you will see in my forecast page:

http://thecloudmaster.webs.com/

;) :D

Not doing a great deal in Grimsby it was very icy at 7am but quite mild and it's supposed to be raining Friday so I'm still waiting for this winter weather.

Holy poop it's cold. -5 this morning here brrrrrrrr.
There's a real, pukka hoare frost everywhere. Very pretty, but the roads are lethal.

Holy poop it's cold. -5 this morning here brrrrrrrr.
There's a real, pukka hoare frost everywhere. Very pretty, but the roads are lethal.

Hi Ruth. Indeed, I woke up to a hard frost even here at my coastal location.

Tonight does look set to be the last proper freezing cold frosty night before the Atlantic stuff come steaming back in. I reckon it's going to be quite a while before we get to experience those kind of nights again.

Anyway, today I felt more like a proper forecaster.

MichaelFishJumper.jpg

The infamous Michael Fish jumper was knitted by my sister where it took her the best part of four weeks and all based on a single photo.

(The photo was taken by me using a D3100 and an off flash and three bedrroom lamps to fill in the dark bits - but had to stand close to the background what with it all taken place in a small room).

Last edited:
:LOL: I love it Ian (y)

Well this week see's me a couple of miles out side Leeds,
On an exposed landfill....
Its Friggin cold! (technical term that :D)
-5 this morning @around 7am
it crawled to a staggering 1oC early pm.
There has been a little cloud around all day,
but as the sun set it totally clouded up.

So now I guess it has 3 chances,
1) It clears again, and I have to scrape the bloody van again in the morning
2) the cloud cover enables it to warm up enough to rain ( not been wet for awhile Oh goody)
3) it warms up just enough to snow....
Over to you Ian, what odds are you laying ?

Ian I love you sweater image....reminds me of the kids show Rainbow!

Can you please tell me what time I should go outside tomorrow morning to scrape my car? I get up at 6 and plan to leave at 7am, but this morning was joke (Ice would NOT scrape off...had to go for the chemical option)....but still didn't get to work till 08.30 because of the road retards. Advice is welcomed :LOL:

:D Indeed temperatures are going to fall to below freezing quite widely across the country tonight but I think humidity levels may be somewhat reduced so the fog and hoar frost risk won't be as extensive as last night.
Tonight should be the last night for that kind of thing for a while before the Atlantic stuff come steaming in during the course of tomorrow with increasing cloud cover and then eventually the rain and stong winds turning up to affect most places on Friday.
Then all back to normal with westerly type winds bringing sunny spells and showers to all parts over the weekend.

:D Indeed temperatures are going to fall to below freezing quite widely across the country tonight but I think humidity levels may be somewhat reduced so the fog and hoar frost risk won't be as extensive as last night.
Tonight should be the last night for that kind of thing for a while before the Atlantic stuff come steaming in during the course of tomorrow with increasing cloud cover and then eventually the rain and stong winds turning up to affect most places on Friday.
Then all back to normal with westerly type winds bringing sunny spells and showers to all parts over the weekend.

Thanks Ian...because quite frankly the ice would NOT scrape off the windscreen this morning, and I had to resort to the chemical option, which makes internal misting worse and I hate that!! :D

Thanks Ian...because quite frankly the ice would NOT scrape off the windscreen this morning, and I had to resort to the chemical option, which makes internal misting worse and I hate that!! :D

Do what I do, screen heater on, air con on full blast sorted (y)
(well its not my van and I don't pay the fuel bills :D )

Do what I do, screen heater on, air con on full blast sorted (y)
(well its not my van and I don't pay the fuel bills :D )

Good advice, but this morning the ice would not move. Perchance my car is considerably older than yours :LOL:

:eek:

I certainly don't miss that early morning motorbike commute to my former countryside workplace, that's for certain.

Nice in the summer - but at this time of the year . . . :wacky: :help:

Simple answer to that is pop into homebase and invest £5 in a moisture trap and leave it on your dash overnight
Despite my car being parked up for 3 days it is now bone dry inside the windscreen, before I would have had a layer of ice

Certainly been a cold and bleak day here at Folkestone. Apart from some icy looking puddles, there was no frost what with a breeze coming in from the Channel.

Tomorrow is going to have a different flavour weather-wise as Spring arrives. :D

Back