The Great Meteorological Thread

Well I moaned (a lot!) about missing out on the decent temperatures over summer but it seems I'm missing the worst of the lows now :)
It's not got down to anywhere near as bad as some, -3°C just one night and although it's not moved above 0°C all day, positively balmy compared to elsewhere! Plus we've had quite a lot of sunshine. Currently (as at 17:20) at -1°C.
No snow to speak of yet, either.

Tomorrow is going to have a different flavour weather-wise as Spring arrives. :D

Thank Christ for that!
-5oC @ 7am, this morning, and didn't get above -3 all day.
And the best bit?
Freezing fog, with approx 100yds Visibility.
(although its quite countrified with "water" in this area,
on the out-skirts of Leeds)

Thank Christ for that!
-5oC @ 7am, this morning, and didn't get above -3 all day.
And the best bit?
Freezing fog, with approx 100yds Visibility.
(although its quite countrified with "water" in this area,
on the out-skirts of Leeds)

Now wet and windy and not as cold.

Yep, Spring has arrived. :D

Does look set to be very wet over the south of the UK today, wouldn't be surprised if flooding becomes an issue again as the rain falls onto still frozen topsoil.

No snow to speak of yet, either.
^^Big mouth^^ lol.
Started snowing around 06:00 but it's quite wet snow and air temp is now +2 so can't seeing being still there when I get up about 15:00-ish :(
Bloody cold early on in the night, though, another -3.

Now that our summer . . . I mean . . . winter has reverted to it's traditional style, us Brits are world class experts at not being satisfied with our weather.

No197-Raindrops.jpg

Last edited:
After a warm sunny day, it's now absolutely bucketing down out there :(

Hi all. It was much the same over here today. It actually felt pleasantly spring-like in the noon time sunshine but then it became more cloudy in the afternoon with a short but sharp burst of heavy rain in the evening.

The coming week will be a week of two halves as far as our weather is concerned. After a quiet and bright start to the week, unfortunately we are going to be getting a lot of cloud, rain and some strong wind pouring in from the Atlantic as we go into Wednesday onwards.
Southern and Western parts of the UK will start to see renewed flooding issues before the week is out.

Its strange the last two days have been quite mild and sunny,
but as the sun has gone down the rain started, and quite heavy at times too!

The coming week will be a week of two halves as far as our weather is concerned. After a quiet and bright start to the week, unfortunately we are going to be getting a lot of cloud, rain and some strong wind pouring in from the Atlantic as we go into Wednesday onwards.
Southern and Western parts of the UK will start to see renewed flooding issues before the week is out.
Oh Great I'm working outside the latter half of the week :(

I take it that a white Christmas is off the menu then?

Its strange the last two days have been quite mild and sunny,
but as the sun has gone down the rain started, and quite heavy at times too!

Oh Great I'm working outside the latter half of the week :(

I take it that a white Christmas is off the menu then?

HI Chris! Afraid so, unless you like wet weather.

Indeed, I can say with 95% confidence that there won't be a White Christmas for any part of the UK as the wet, mild and windy conditions are set to last into the festive period.
There are subtle signs of a cold snap in the run up to the New Year but that's a long way off in forecasting terms.

*** Advanced Weather Warning for HEAVY RAIN ***

Althought most of you are probably aware of it by now, but I might as well issue the warning for heavy and persistent rain with the renewed risk of floods in this thread.

Areas greatest at risk of flooding is over the South West of England and South Wales as the heavy and persistent rain falls onto already heavily saturated ground.

To a lesser extent but still enough to cause transport-related disruptions due to standing water on prone roads and waterlogged surfaces, Central and Southern England as well as the South East will also be affected.

The warning applies between today, into tonight and all day tomorrow as frontal systems move in from the Atlantic and then slows down as it moves eastwards over the UK.
Then after a short break on Friday as it all moves out into the North Sea, another batch of heavy rain is expected to come sweeping in from the Atlantic to affect the UK once again as we go into the weekend.

There are also wind-related issues with gales over the North of the UK but I'm expecting it to be not as severe over the South.

If you want the low down on today's forecast, here's the link to my Cloud Master forecast page: http://thecloudmaster.webs.com/

Last edited:
As we experience the umpteenth wet spell of the season.

No203-Breakdown.jpg

It's been a wet day here at my location after 20 mm of rain has fallen since midnight.
We should get a respite from it tomorrow but then the rain returns with a vengeance on Saturday, along with strong (but hopefully not of the damaging gusty stuff) winds.

HI Chris! Afraid so, unless you like wet weather.

Well as before, Ian I was working outside all day to day, at Gerrards Cross (Bucks)
And got friggin soaked!

/ looks around for someone to blame :bat:
And decides that I am NOT adverse to shooting the messenger :D

Well as before, Ian I was working outside all day to day, at Gerrards Cross (Bucks)
And got friggin soaked!

/ looks around for someone to blame :bat:
And decides that I am NOT adverse to shooting the messenger :D

I was told that if I was to run in a zig-zag fashion I then become a more difficult target to aim at. :help: :D

Well I missed my departmental beer and curry today because of flood disruption to trains :|

That reminds me, the next batch of rain expected for the weekend will also be accompanied with high wind. :puke: :D

I was told that if I was to run in a zig-zag fashion I then become a more difficult target to aim at. :help: :D

That reminds me, the next batch of rain expected for the weekend will also be accompanied with high wind. :puke: :D
And after that last prediction?
I wouldn't bet on it :D

I suppose I shouldn't make light of what is now becoming a worrying situation, but here it is anyway.

No205-WetSanta.jpg

Might be better if the sledge was kitted out like as a catamaran, though.

Mind you, if you go right at the beginning of this thread, it all seems such a long time ago. This time last year there were already talks of water restrictions and now we're swimming in too much of the stuff. Goes to show how nature is very good at balancing things out.

Really not sure if I ought to tell you this, but at 18.30 tonight it was 21° here :D

Great cartoon as always Ian (y)
I take it, its going to get wetter then?

There was a "statement" on the radio, thurs, this week I think,
but I can't remember by who now.
But it was along the lines of, due to the heavy rain fall, recently,
there will be no need for a hosepipe ban in 2013!

We'll see :p

Really not sure if I ought to tell you this, but at 18.30 tonight it was 21° here :D

There are some things that are best left un-said :p
Actually its not that cold here, the local weather station is claiming 13oC (and drizzling)

And how you can do the degree sign, Sarah. I've never been able to do that!

Anyway, it is 20 C here as well . . . indoors. I am as snug as a bug in a rug in the warmth of my hobby room.

21° Oh, well that's how I just did it :shrug:

One day I will get it. In all the years of being an internet user, this has always eluded me.

Trying it again . . . nope, it's not doing it. Argh! :bang: :D

One day I will get it. In all the years of being an internet user, this has always eluded me.

Trying it again . . . nope, it's not doing it. Argh! :bang: :D

You really did ought to know, what with being our weather man and all ;)

Now that's blimmin' showing off. It's now driving me nuts to a certain degree.

See what I've done there.

ALT 0176 from the numeric key board not the numbers at the top
brings it up in Google copy and paste :)

21°c

After a year like this, I refuse to believe you are rain-free, Ian!

Last edited:
ALT 0176 from the numeric key board not the numbers at the top
brings it up in Google copy and paste :)

21°c

Testing ° Haha!! N6w that's the way t6 d6 5t. Tr46b3e is I then have to remember to disengage the "Num Lk" button to bring the keyboard back to normal mode (it does't have a separate numeric keyboard.

Last edited:
Sorted (y)

After a year like this, I refuse to believe you are rain-free, Ian!

:D For a change, I've not been totally rain free today after 12.9 mm had fallen since 6 am this morning. Compared to most parts, I am getting off fairly lightly.

Ah, got to test the ° out, now it's just remembering it :LOL: Getting quite wet in places here, staedy rain has been the order of the day, rivers are bursting in places and villages flooding by the sounds of it. My brothers car broke down earlier, had to wait for the rac and they watched the flood water rising whilst trying to fix the car, they ended up having to tow it away to somewhere away from the flood water :eek:

Back