The Great Meteorological Thread

5C outside now and feels like that temperature will keep dropping.
Roads and footpaths already beginning to sparkle.

We were supposed to get light rain and drizzle, but as often occurs around here, the precipitation never arrived (y)

Gave me the chills just reading it! Brrrrrrrrr

Such wusses that we are now :D

Your'll get no argument from me :p

'Twas freezing fog this morning at around 6am,
the fog barely lifted all day, and the temps rose just above freezing point
briefly this afternoon.

How I love working outside :D

Sounds like the North of Scotland has been warmer than much of Englandshire again :wave:

Surely it cannot last :shrug:

Frosting here again tonight...brrrrrrrr

15° here as I just came down through the village in the car :D Log burner is blazing away too though :D

15° here as I just came down through the village in the car :D Log burner is blazing away too though :D

Nice fire in the hearth here too. Cedar logs :D

Not quite freezing here this morning, but I'd still rank it as officially nippy!

Current conditions from my weather station.

Temperature: 4.0 °C

Mostly Cloudy

Windchill: 4 °C

Humidity: 90%

Dew Point: 2 °C

Wind: Calm

Wind Gust: 8.0 km/h /

Pressure: 1018 hPa (Falling)

Visibility: 19.0 kilometers

Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 930 m

Sunny day here hardly a cloud visible

Current data for South Wye
11 January 2013 14:08:33

Temperature (°C):
Current 11.6
Trend (per hour) +2.3
Average today 4.8
Wind chill 11.6
Heat Index 11.6
Dew Point 3.4
Rel Humidity 57%

Wind (mph):
Current Gust 3.1 SW
Average Speed 1.6 SW

Rainfall (mm):
Current rate 0.0
Last hour 0.0
Total today 0.0
Total yesterday 3.0
Total this month 3.9
Total this year 3.9

Pressure (hPa):
Current 1017.6
Trend (per hour) -0.3

Bill and Alan (and anyone else!),

May I ask which weather stations you guys are using?
Would you recommend them, or something else?

Look forward to any info (y)

Last edited:
Bill.

If your station is in the Hereford area, your Humidity appears to be a bit low compared to other stations in that area. Just an observation.:)

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi...=Ross on Wye, United Kingdom&wuSelect=WEATHER

Aye looks odd, was cut and paste from Cumulus software, will have to read up on the relative reading aspect as the actual reading is 85%.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Might be a setting that needs changing on the unit or the software, I will investigate.

http://www.southherefordweather.co.uk/gauges.htm

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk

Last edited:
Just checked my logs for today lowest humidity 58%, highest 88%

Does seem to be an erroneous reading to be that low. That is the sort of humidity reading I expect for inside the house but that's not not normally logged as I recall.

Latest log seems ok

Current data for South Wye
11 January 2013 22:37:21

Temperature (°C):
Current 5.2
Trend (per hour) -0.1
Average today 5.4
Wind chill 5.2
Heat Index 5.2
Dew Point 2.9
Rel Humidity 85%

Wind (mph):
Current Gust 6.9 SE
Average Speed 2.2 ENE

Rainfall (mm):
Current rate 0.0
Last hour 0.0
Total today 1.2
Total yesterday 3.0
Total this month 5.1
Total this year 5.1

Pressure (hPa):
Current 1015.2
Trend (per hour) -0.4

And the next few days does look set to be distinctly wintry with anywhere over the UK having a good chance of seeing some snow.

Amounts are still very hard to pin down but I think we'll all get to see some of the white stuff at some point or other between tomorrow through to Thursday.

So, wrap up warm as it start to get properly cold.

I have had a few weather stations over the years, my current one is my third, a Davis Vantage Vue. Prior to that I had an Oregon Scientific WMR-100 and 200. I bought the Davis due to problems with both of the OS stations. Having said that, the Davis hasn't been without it's problems. I have my ISS set 25 feet above ground level, which is about 3 feet above the apex of my bungalow roof, this in itself causes a problem because if we get rain and the wind is blowing at more than 10 mph, I miss some of the rain data. I have also noticed recently that my humidity readings have been low, which I have had to correct using an offset in my software. I have priced a replacement humidity sensor and have been quoted £150 plus vat and postage. This is something I shall have to think about for the Spring.

I haven't been that happy with Davis after sales service, it takes them far too long to answer any queries, whilst Oregon Scientific here in the UK were brilliant and very helpful. Out of the two, I would say that Davis make the better equipment, but you pays your money and take a chance, a bit like cameras.:)

If you want anymore help, please feel free to ask. It would probably be better to PM me rather than overload this thread.

I have had a few weather stations over the years, my current one is my third, a Davis Vantage Vue. Prior to that I had an Oregon Scientific WMR-100 and 200. I bought the Davis due to problems with both of the OS stations. Having said that, the Davis hasn't been without it's problems. I have my ISS set 25 feet above ground level, which is about 3 feet above the apex of my bungalow roof, this in itself causes a problem because if we get rain and the wind is blowing at more than 10 mph, I miss some of the rain data. I have also noticed recently that my humidity readings have been low, which I have had to correct using an offset in my software. I have priced a replacement humidity sensor and have been quoted £150 plus vat and postage. This is something I shall have to think about for the Spring.

I haven't been that happy with Davis after sales service, it takes them far too long to answer any queries, whilst Oregon Scientific here in the UK were brilliant and very helpful. Out of the two, I would say that Davis make the better equipment, but you pays your money and take a chance, a bit like cameras.:)

If you want anymore help, please feel free to ask. It would probably be better to PM me rather than overload this thread.

Thanks Alan, very useful (y)
I shall have a look into this, and may contact you via PM in the future (thanks for that)

Had a very hard frost here last night, and looking forward to a very fresh walk with the pooches this morning :)

Thanks Alan, very useful (y)
I shall have a look into this, and may contact you via PM in the future (thanks for that)

Had a very hard frost here last night, and looking forward to a very fresh walk with the pooches this morning :)

You are very welcome, Andrew.(y) It's a pity you live so far away, you could have come and had a look at my station setup. I upload my data to the internet via Wunderground every 15 minutes 24/7,(see link below).

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=52.686,-0.029

PS: Just had a look at your profile, if ATC is what I think it is, then the weather is very important to you.

Last edited:
Well apparently, it was snowing heavily at around 8am this morning
but but the time I saw "daylight" there was nothing to show for it, just wet paths.

You are very welcome, Andrew.(y) It's a pity you live so far away, you could have come and had a look at my station setup. I upload my data to the internet via Wunderground every 15 minutes 24/7,(see link below).

http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=52.686,-0.029

PS: Just had a look at your profile, if ATC is what I think it is, then the weather is very important to you.

Yes a 8 hour drive is a bit much :LOL: but thanks for the offer (y)

At work we have lots of Met Office kit, which is nice ;)
If you know where to look Airport weather data is freely available :)

P1050722_zpsb8e0ffbe.jpg

View from the front window at 1545.
Spot the ground still frozen from last night, the fog down the Moray Firth, and just peeping over the top of the fog is the Black Isle (not an island at all, but a peninsula)

Brrr - that looks cold for late afternoon :|

Down here in Somerset it was hovering about 4 degrees and raining (been like that for ages).
Then mid afternoon the wind picked up and the temperature has plummeted.
-0.6 and falling fast !

Has been just as miserable here at Folkestone. After a brief one-minute long flurry at 12 pm, it has been overcast and raining since then. With the temperatures hovering around 3.5 C all day, it certainly made for a bleak day.
It does look like I'm in line for some significant snow on Monday and into Tuesday as a low pressure system moving in from the north come up against the continental type airmass still hanging over the UK.

My choice is this model

bought from amazon last summer for £99 then found out Maplin had a discount price on it a week later for £59... ahwell. It's worked fine just the odd wireless connection drop, easy to set up. Mine is approx 25 feet up on the side of my shed and about 45 feet from my pc. It comes with pc software as the main unit indoors is usb connected to the pc.

In an urban setup the ideal spot would be difficult to find with so many obstacles nearby, but saying that mine is very good on wind direction rain measurement and humidity readings. The unit's software tends to average out readings over time to give consistency.

Alans unit is a far superior bit of kit but with a price tag to suit, but will most likely outlast my setup. All in all very happy with my purchase best place to look is Maplin as they carry quite a few models, also read what each spec is for the outside sensors as thet do give a choice of rain collector or solar charger (they run on AA batteries or rechargables)

They won't improve your weather though.:LOL:

Last edited:
My choice is this model

bought from amazon last summer for £99 then found out Maplin had a discount price on it a week later for £59... ahwell. It's worked fine just the odd wireless connection drop, easy to set up. Mine is approx 25 feet up on the side of my shed and about 45 feet from my pc. It comes with pc software as the main unit indoors is usb connected to the pc.

In an urban setup the ideal spot would be difficult to find with so many obstacles nearby, but saying that mine is very good on wind direction rain measurement and humidity readings. The unit's software tends to average out readings over time to give consistency.

Alans unit is a far superior bit of kit but with a price tag to suit, but will most likely outlast my setup. All in all very happy with my purchase best place to look is Maplin as they carry quite a few models, also read what each spec is for the outside sensors as thet do give a choice of rain collector or solar charger (they run on AA batteries or rechargables)

They won't improve your weather though.:LOL:

Thanks for the info Bill (y)
I would have never thought of Maplins - top tip :)

Raining here....3 deg c outside.

Its about +4oC here, but it was -2 earlier

Been snowing on and off here for over an hour. Not settling....but very brrrrrrr.

A beautiful day here, I even have a UV reading of 3.

Current Conditions

Temperature: 2.9 °C

Sunny:

Windchill: 0 °C

Humidity: 77%

Dew Point: -1 °C

Wind: 12.9 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the North

Wind Gust: 14.5 km/h /

Pressure: 1021 hPa (Rising)

Visibility: 50.0 kilometers

Clouds: 1500 m

It never quite hit us (yet!) but plenty of snow on the higher ground behind the house.
Taken at 1245 in 3C. Had a light rain shower.

P1050733_zps684a7797.jpg

It never quite hit us (yet!) but plenty of snow on the higher ground behind the house.
Taken at 1245 in 3C. Had a light rain shower.

Blimey thats close ;)
We had a few flurries earlier,
but its bright and clear now, and just about +1oC

Back