The Great Meteorological Thread

LOL Fair point Ian :D

But I agree the "extended Autumn"
Wasn't really that pleasant was it?

Not only do I still have nightmares about it, I still haven't found the unbattened hatches that had got blown off from the last winter. I guess that is the joys of living right on a south-facing coastline.

Wiped the moisture off my car in Ferring at 5.00am, drove to Chichester to collect a friend at 5.30am and all the cars were frozen solid there!

Then went to the New Forest, arrived to find a very heavy frost and frozen puddles at 7.00am :eek:

Sadly, I am not in winter mode yet and was seriously underdressed and cold. :(

...but it did turn into a lovely day, probably the last for a while.

Wiped the moisture off my car in Ferring at 5.00am, drove to Chichester to collect a friend at 5.30am and all the cars were frozen solid there!
Then went to the New Forest, arrived to find a very heavy frost and frozen puddles at 7.00am :eek:
Sadly, I am not in winter mode yet and was seriously underdressed and cold. :(
...but it did turn into a lovely day, probably the last for a while.
Hmmm it normally stays warmer down there than up here, no sign of frosts yet,
so do me a favour and keep them there :D

None here either a few miles inland from you Heather, been quite a mild day again.
But typical another wet day tomorrow and I'm back to work, still at least I have a van
to shelter in now :)

Not good weather this morning
A car had skidded on the wet leaves then ended up in the hedge . Had a lady and child on-board. It was school run ... A 20mph in all PSJ.... Will he have learnt his lesson. ....

Rain has now stopped and the sun is out. 14.7c

Not good weather this morning
A car had skidded on the wet leaves then ended up in the hedge . Had a lady and child on-board. It was school run ... A 20mph in all PSJ.... Will he have learnt his lesson. ....Rain has now stopped and the sun is out. 14.7c
Not good at all :(
Very wet very windy and of course leaves everywhere here too.
It just goes to show how unprepared people are when the weather changes.
I trust everyone was OK if not a little shaken.

Not good at all :(
Very wet very windy and of course leaves everywhere here too.
It just goes to show how unprepared people are when the weather changes.
I trust everyone was OK if not a little shaken.

Exactly, as the roads will be all greasy with sap and leaves after this dry September. The other "hidden" hazard is the glare from the low October sun as it rises and sets at the same time as the rush hour.

Distinctly autumnal here at this end of Kent with overcast skies, rain and that obligatory strong southerly wind blowing straight in from the Channel as the frontal system is passing right over us as I type.

Distinctly autumnal here at this end of Kent with overcast skies, rain and that obligatory strong southerly wind blowing straight in from the Channel as the frontal system is passing right over us as I type.
I thought it was your fault :D

Chilly outside so the doors are closed (first time for ages while we're in!) but sunny so the cat's out on the bench (her throne) enjoying it while it lasts. Barely a cloud in the sky ATM, although it was wet overnight. What wisps there are are coming in from the SSW.

been wet but not windy here, some great puddles on the woodland tracks I drive along, lovely for splashing through:D
Van is going to need another wash soon;)

Hows everyones weather, was surprised to see tornado warnings inforce via torro. Hope its not caused too much damage. Just heavy rain on and off today for me but clouds look really menacing

Hi, Michael, the thing with those "tornado warnings" from TORRO is that the web site is very much stuck in US mode. I usually take them with a pinch of salt but I will say that perhaps one or two of the showers that are currently peppering the UK at the moment may get beefy enough to produce gusty winds to dislodge tiles or break off branches, but it is often a very isolated event where you'd have to be VERY unlucky to have that happen to you.
I'm more worried when there is a deepening Atlantic depression "bombing" while still close or even over the UK bringing widespread gales across the country, something we had a lot of last year (and hope to have less of that THIS coming winter!).

PS: Afternoon from a rather cloudy, dull, breezy and damp Folkestone. We had a couple of showers and the sun did break through for a short time but on the whole, it has been feeling and looking quite autumnal so far today.
The "cut off" low pressure system that has been hanging off to the north west of the UK in the past couple of days is expected to slowly fill in (weaken) as it creeps north-eastwards (towards Scandinavia) while at the same time high pressure trying to push in from the south as we wear into the second half of this week. As a result, the strong winds and showery activity over the country should slowly and gradually abate over the next few days as well as starting to feel pleasantly mild in any sunny spells we do get. However, nights may tend to be quite chilly with patchy fog.

Hi, Michael, the thing with those "tornado warnings" from TORRO is that the web site is very much stuck in US mode. I usually take them with a pinch of salt but I will say that perhaps one or two of the showers that are currently peppering the UK at the moment may get beefy enough to produce gusty winds to dislodge tiles or break off branches, but it is often a very isolated event where you'd have to be VERY unlucky to have that happen to you.
I'm more worried when there is a deepening Atlantic depression "bombing" while still close or even over the UK bringing widespread gales across the country, something we had a lot of last year (and hope to have less of that THIS coming winter!).

PS: Afternoon from a rather cloudy, dull, breezy and damp Folkestone. We had a couple of showers and the sun did break through for a short time but on the whole, it has been feeling and looking quite autumnal so far today.
The "cut off" low pressure system that has been hanging off to the north west of the UK in the past couple of days is expected to slowly fill in (weaken) as it creeps north-eastwards (towards Scandinavia) while at the same time high pressure trying to push in from the south as we wear into the second half of this week. As a result, the strong winds and showery activity over the country should slowly and gradually abate over the next few days as well as starting to feel pleasantly mild in any sunny spells we do get. However, nights may tend to be quite chilly with patchy fog.

Thanks for the info Ian. I saw it this morning as i follow them on twitter, probably the first time i have visited their website. Might make for a calm crossing to the isles of scilly on saturday.

Over night rain here.
A fine dry morning / early afternoon,
Then more rain.
Its not really windy though.

Over night rain here.
A fine dry morning / early afternoon,
Then more rain.
Its not really windy though.

Since I typed up the last post, the sun came out and is now looking quite bright and cheerful with the mid-afternoon sunshine beaming into my west-facing hobby room making it feel warm and cosy. A shame that it'll be setting in over an hours time.

Hi Chris! Since I typed up the last post, the sun came out and is now looking quite bright and cheerful with the mid-afternoon sunshine beaming into my west-facing hobby room making it feel warm and cosy. A shame that it'll be setting in over an hours time.

Oh I'm being all fingers and thumbs in here at the moment. Must be the shock of seeing the sun.

Oh I'm being all fingers and thumbs in here at the moment. Must be the shock of seeing the sun.
LOL and send some this way, Ian, I think we have seen the last of it today now.

Just had a great few rumbles of thunder and some pretty awesome lightning.
Cool :)
There was some very distant rumbles a couple of hours ago, but way too far away to see any lightning.

Bugger! I hope there is no damage?

From what I remember from a trip to the states a few years back,
its like a wall of very dark bottle green cloud, with what they describe as a "tit" hanging down.
If that starts to rotate, you run for cover ;)

Good news for you at least :)

Met office confirmed a tornado hit alfreton,which is a 10 minute drive from my house. I don't know how they occur but around 10 minutes before it struck I was at my daughters school and saw a rather large formation of cloud, very dark, angry and wild looking moving very fast in that direction,

And there has been a couple of other reports of twisters that did actually touch down here at the UK but it was mostly over open land and were very localised, as shown by the two video taken today. However, because the Alfreton event occurred in a built up area, that particular twister was powerful enough to take a roof off a house. Again, that lasted for only a few minutes and affected a very localised area and thankfully there hadn't been any causalities.
First one contains a sweary ;)

Great find Ian (y)
I think thats what they call a dust devil in the states though :D

Ok so what's happening, got woke up by a massive thunderstorm at 4am last Monday, appears a local Golf Club got hit,
more but distant on Thursday, then another massive one in the evening.
Today it's been hail and thunder, with a few sunny spells, what ever next o_O

Looks like there could be a mini heat wave at the weekend. Bloody typical! Got soaked last Thursday whilst g*lfing (flooded off the 9th green) and playing again this Thursday... I even turned the CH thermostat up a degree to warm myself up while I was in the bath.

Just to make things perfect, I'm also suffering from a probably terminal bout of man-flu, although I may survive if I eat enough chocolate!!!

Mr Ian

Do you think it's likely to be dry and calm come Friday in East Dorset? 17th?

Many thanks!

Looks like the wet and windy autumn has finally made it here,
after largely skirting around me for some time.

I was woken at 4 am by the wind smashing the rain on the windows.
The rain has eased but its still blowing half a gale out there.

sunday is not a good day for a curry supper.
Actually no my fault this time :p

Force 4 then? ;)
Oh absolute minimum :D
The rubbish bins are doing a tango,
the mature oaks are bowing at the waist in preparation for the start of the waltz.

And the patio furniture, the pasodoble is in full swing (y)

Oh absolute minimum :D
The rubbish bins are doing a tango,
the mature oaks are bowing at the waist in preparation for the start of the waltz.

And the patio furniture, the pasodoble is in full swing (y)

Almost Keith @DorsetDude
But thankfully not quite that severe :)

Hi, evening all. What is going to happen in the next few days is a huge Atlantic low pressure system grinding to a halt while still off to the western side of the UK and coupled with high pressure over Central Europe, it'll have the effect of pumping mild and moist air all the way in from the Azores across the UK.
In the summer, it would be lovely with warm and sunny weather, but at this time of the year it'll result in copious cloud cover and always being on the wet side, especially towards the Western side of the UK - in other words, a maritime-type flavour but at least it'll be very mild for this time of year.
I'm expecting this set up to last for the rest of the week and into the weekend.

Last edited:
Hi, evening all. What is going to happen in the next few days is a huge Atlantic low pressure system grinding to a halt while still off to the western side of the UK and coupled with high pressure over Central Europe, it'll have the effect of pumping mild and moist air all the way in from the Azores across the UK.
In the summer, it would be lovely with warm and sunny weather, but at this time of the year it'll result in copious cloud cover and always being on the wet side, especially towards the Western side of the UK - in other words, a maritime-type flavour but at least it'll be very mild for this time of year.
I'm expecting this set up to last for the rest of the week and into the weekend.
Please can I shoot the messenger?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze?

Thanks for cheering me up Ian :D

Please can I shoot the messenger?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze?

Thanks for cheering me up Ian :D

At least we will never have to worry about water restrictions. Remember how I started off this thread being concerned about that about four years ago?

I know, Ian, and that all seem so far away now.
Its a good thread, especially for those of us, that spend a lot of time working outside,
and as a nation we are weather obsessed,
so its good to know what's happening around the country too (y)

I know, Ian, and that all seem so far away now.
Its a good thread, especially for those of us, that spend a lot of time working outside,
and as a nation we are weather obsessed,
so its good to know what's happening around the country too (y)

Cheers Chris! Although it does show how the UK is a huge place when it comes to our climate, but indeed it is very much a conversation starter for us Brits.

... it does show how the UK is a huge place when it comes to our climate ...
Indeed. Am I the only one who is sometimes a bit frustrated when contributors to this thread say "30° here" or "absolute monsoon here" or "proper brass monkeys weather here", but it's nothing like that here in Maidenhead and I don't know where "here" is for the contributor? Maybe we could improve the intelligibility of the thread by dropping in the odd geographical reference to help readers. Just a thought.

Not just in this thread, Stewart. I used to like the location in the avatar area.

Dryish here so far but overcast. Exeter!

Back