The Great Meteorological Thread

:plus1: for 30ish but dry. Mid 20s here (UK) is comfortable but I can handle mid 30s in Crete (as long as I'm not expected to be too active!!!)

I'm not that much of a heat lover myself but that may have stemmed from my having been a tomato greenhouse worker for 20 years. :D Around 23 C with a nice drop of sunshine would be acceptable for me, any warmer and it seems to have the effect of making everyone around here become loud and stupid.

Anyway, it has been generally overcast all day today, thus made for an indoors type of day, it wasn't until early evening did the sun come out. It felt quite mild, though.

Summer tends to increase the amount of noise and objectionable behaviour here too. That's the price we pay for living in a touristy area I suppose!!!

We hit 37C yesterday, but today temperatures plunge, forecast high is only 29C.

:LOL:

Enjoy!

We hit 37C yesterday, but today temperatures plunge, forecast high is only 29C.

Can you buy thermals out there?,
or do you need a red cross parcel sending out?
:p

29 C, that's the highest my area has ever got so far this summer (and it was just a one day wonder).
Anyway, it turned out to be a pleasant enough day today with bright spells and variable cloud amounts, however it isn't going to be as nice tomorrow as it'll become rather cloudy with outbreaks of rain. That's when a weak cold front will be passing over us.
I do think that the rest of this month will go along on a quiet and uneventful note where it'll be dry and bright for most of the time at least over Southern parts of the UK. We are unlikely to experience any more real heat but it'll feel warm enough in any sunshine we do get.
Whether that'll carry on into September is another matter all together.

Mornin' all from a dull, damp, breezy and rather cool Folkestone. :D

I think autumn must be on its way, it was 30oC here early afternoon on Thurs,
now its struggling to make 15oC :( and the Virginia creeper has ruddy brown tinges,
to some of its leaves..............

Holy thread revival, Batman. :eek: :D

Anyway, good afternoon from a dry and sunny Folkestone, I have been avoiding all the showers in the past couple of days. In fact, the rain amount so far for this September for my location comes to a rather weedy 1.8 mm.
Looks like the Folkestone Weather Shield is still being as effective as ever.

Things are going to turn quite chilly and showery in the first half of next week as our winds come in from the N or NW. Then becoming more settled and drier as well as being slightly warmer by the second half of the week as a ridge of high pressure nudges in from the Azores.

Last edited:
10.6 outside at the moment - this time last week, I was on the beach sweating in 30+!!! CH on (with thermostat still set to 17) but only fires up at sparrowfart. 9 month wait now. :sob:

10.6 outside at the moment - this time last week, I was on the beach sweating in 30+!!! CH on (with thermostat still set to 17) but only fires up at sparrowfart. 9 month wait now. :sob:

This time last week was on a beach with the temp at 48!!!

My hand hovered over the central heating thermostat as temperatures has fallen down to 11.8 C at 5 pm, that is the coldest mid-afternoon temperature since April. :eek:
However, the lawn will appreciate the 7.8 mm of rain that has fallen so far today. :) (y)

The Met Office has a heads up on their website about the first storm of the Autumn this Sunday...
But looking out the window I reckon it's already here!

Electricity wires are screaming and the trees are thrashing around.
Weird thing is that looking at the weather website none of them are indicating that we should be getting strong winds at the mo. :thinking:

Git!

Evenin' all from a damp and overcast Folkestone. Indeed it turned out rather moist over here with rain for most of the afternoon.
But it was quite fair and bright this morning, albeit rather cold which caused me to cave in and reach for the thermostat to get rid of these frosty fingers.
However, conditions was right for this sunrise as viewed from the beach at 6.30 am this morning.

Beach+Sunrise+Sept+13+1.jpg

However, summer-like conditions are set to make a return this weekend - at least to the southern and eastern side of the UK as it'll become drier and brighter and even warmer. But there's still a good couple of days of changeable weather to go thorugh to get to it, though.

Cracking image Ian (y)

And thanks for the update :)

:) My pleasure. You can't really go wrong with this kind of sunrise when it comes to taking photographs of it. :D

Cheers Kevin and Duncan. Further proof that Autumn is usually my favourite time of the year for landscape type photography (not having to get up in the middle of the night to get that sunrise photo and also the light is much kinder and there are less people about).

A week since this thread's been used! I though we Brits were supposed to be obsessed by the weather?

Since the forecasts all seemed to agree that today would be dry, we decided to risk it and went for a walk. A bit grey when we set off but the overcast burned off and we got back to the car in glorious sunshine. Roof down on the way home. Took a fleece gilet and a waterproof just in case but shed the fleece after a couple of miles and never needed the waterproof. Not looking as good for tomorrow but we live in hope!

:D It's probably where the weather has been so quiet and uneventful in the past few days. It certainly was like that around here at Kent as it has been a week of variable cloud cover and some bright spells as well as light winds keeping it mild. In other words, not a lot to get too excited over.
There is a chance of some thundery showers breaking out over the South West as we go into the weekend but the bright, dry and settled theme is set to continue over the rest of the UK anyway (apart from some rain over the far Northern end of Scotland).
But what I have noticed is how it is being an exceptionally quiet Atlantic hurricane season this year, there has been only the one named storm, Humberto, and even then it only achieved Category 1 status for a few hours before quickly being absorbed by the mid-latitude Atlantic train.
So much for global warming/climate change resulting in bigger and frequent hurricanes, then.

Last edited:
Back