The great TP election thread

Not in Scotland they didn't, however, Isn't that what usually happens with the winning party in an election?
Yes they did. Check the numbers. SNP 1,454,436 votes; others 1,456,029 votes.

Of course that's what usually happens. I was trying to point out that claiming Scotland to be a 'one party state' is wrong. How can it be a one party state when that one party got less than 50% of the votes?

Reactions: ST4
Reagan 84:-
1020px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png
Nikon in 72 was very similar. Both won 49 states out of 51 (50 states plus DC), so they were both landslides of comparable magnitude to the SNP. However both of them got around 60% of the votes, whereas the SNP got just under 50%.

Last edited:
Yes they did. Check the numbers. SNP 1,454,436 votes; others 1,456,029 votes.

Of course that's what usually happens. I was trying to point out that claiming Scotland to be a 'one party state' is wrong. How can it be a one party state when that one party got less than 50% of the votes?
Fair enough

To be fair to him, his resignation wasn't accepted ( though he could still have gone ) and no-one else wanted the job.

To be fair to him, his resignation wasn't accepted ( though he could still have gone ) and no-one else wanted the job.

He wouldn't have gone even if they had accepted it, considering he announced his resignation and then to stand again for the position after the summer. That's normally called a holiday ;).

Parliament normally shuts for a Summer recess and has done since time immemorial. Our hard working MPs need a holiday !

Parliament normally shuts for a Summer recess and has done since time immemorial. Our hard working MPs need a holiday !

I'm talking about Nigel Farage (who actually isn't an MP :banana:) and his original proposal for stepping down (which amounted to a sneaky holiday over the summer). It seems that plan was ditched today when it was announced he isn't resigning at all.

Last edited:
UKIP's bleating about broken promises seems a little hollow now. Although I hadn't expected any better from an inveterate liar and charlatan.

I'm talking about Nigel Farage (who actually isn't an MP :banana:) and his original proposal for stepping down (which amounted to a sneaky holiday over the summer). It seems that plan was ditched today when it was announced he isn't resigning at all.

Well he didn't announce his retirement. He tendered his resignation with the caveat that if his party expressed their wish for him to remain as leader then he would consider it.
They did, and he has.
It's a non story.

Granted (he's a MEP), but he did state (when he resigned) that he wouldn't rule out not standing again after the Summer on National TV so no real surprises.

He tendered his resignation with the caveat that if his party expressed their wish for him to remain as leader then he would consider it.
They did, and he has.
It's a non story.
That's not what he said he would do prior to the election though is it?
His undergarments are aflame.

His exact words:

“It is frankly just not credible for me to continue to lead the party without a Westminster seat. What credibility would Ukip have in the Commons if others had to enunciate party policy in Parliament and the party leader was only allowed in as a guest?

“Was I supposed to brief Ukip policy from the Westminster Arms? No, if I fail to win South Thanet, it is curtains for me. I will have to step down.”

So he will be taking up his seat in the Westminster Arms ;).

He and his party aren't worth the energy worrying about it.
It's the lies told by those in power and possible future power that should be of concern.

Well he didn't announce his retirement. He tendered his resignation with the caveat that if his party expressed their wish for him to remain as leader then he would consider it.
They did, and he has.
It's a non story.

This, but some people can't see it for what it is. He kept his promise but the party would prefer him to continue.

This, but some people can't see it for what it is. He kept his promise but the party would prefer him to continue.
No, he promised to stand down because his position would be untenable.
Instead, he 'offered his resignation' (safe in the knowledge it would be refused).

Nothing has changed - he claimed to lead the party without a seat would not be credible, and that's where he now is. Like Clegg, he is learning not to make rash promises.

I suspect when he said that he thought he'd have more MPs to lead, as it stands him and his one MP can meet quite happily in the pub.

Reactions: BBR
No, he promised to stand down because his position would be untenable.
Instead, he 'offered his resignation' (safe in the knowledge it would be refused).

Nothing has changed - he claimed to lead the party without a seat would not be credible, and that's where he now is. Like Clegg, he is learning not to make rash promises.

But if he refused to listen to the party then no doubt he would be accused of not listening and being selfish. Can't win.

But if he refused to listen to the party then no doubt he would be accused of not listening and being selfish. Can't win.
If he's serious about wanting to change politics for the better, he'd consider honouring a promise to the electorate more important that doing what his party want.
But since UKIPs whole campaign was stuffed full of falsehoods, one more probably doesn't make any difference.
The UKIP faithful will find some way to rationalise this as not being a massive lying, hypocritical and cynical move worthy of Francis Urquhart, as they continue to lionise him.

Nothing has changed - he claimed to lead the party without a seat would not be credible, .

His leadership hasnt been credible so far so why should this make any difference :LOL:

Do you suppose we can look forward to millipede and compo reneging on their resignations as well ?

If he's serious about wanting to change politics for the better, he'd consider honouring a promise to the electorate more important that doing what his party want.
But since UKIPs whole campaign was stuffed full of falsehoods, one more probably doesn't make any difference.
The UKIP faithful will find some way to rationalise this as not being a massive lying, hypocritical and cynical move worthy of Francis Urquhart, as they continue to lionise him.

What party's campaign isn't stuffed with falsehoods?

It is a difficult one. I've got some sympathy for the situation. It was a fiasco on one hand, and a success on the other. I think resigning of such situations is not right and they should face the music and be actively involved in changing direction. This country is going to far in demanding heads rolling. Heck the amount of times labour suggested someone from the coalition should go is just a joke.

It is what I like about the cabinet that is announced, lots of experienced people in there to continue the job.

Listening to labours plans is just hilarious. Lots of party voices suggesting they should go for middle England, the john Lewis shoppers. Hmmm wait a minute, surely they should go what they stand for rather than where they would get most votes? What's next, labour the new conservatives?

Reactions: BBR
What party's campaign isn't stuffed with falsehoods?
You've just come up with UKIPs next election slogan!

It's pretty sad when the best defence that can be made is 'everyone else lies too'. Weren't UKIP supposed to be different? 'I'm a man of my word' boasted Farage, 72 hours before he reneged on it.
This is the kind of b******t that puts people off voting.

You've just come up with UKIPs next election slogan!

It's pretty sad when the best defence that can be made is 'everyone else lies too'. Weren't UKIP supposed to be different? 'I'm a man of my word' boasted Farage, 72 hours before he reneged on it.
This is the kind of b******t that puts people off voting.

Why? He did what he said. He resigned. Did he say that he would resign AND not stand again? No, iirc. Maybe it was a gimmick, maybe it was genuine but he was convinced he was the best man for the job. What if clegg was convinced by the party he should stay as leader, does that mean he lied when he resigned?

What about Cameron, he has said he will do 5 more years than stand aside. Fine, but things can change, what if he has s change of mind, people are allowed that too you know.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Labour now lost one of its most loyal members; lord sugar.

https://mobile.BANNED/Lord_Sugar/status/597722928235618304

I'm just glad that the vast majority of the electorate saw them for what they are by themselves.

Reactions: ST4
Lord Sugar, You're Retired!

Labour should drop the threats to go after The Rich and Big Business. The class war anti business thing is all too Red Robbo and 1970's for me.

One thing which has struck me is that Labour are saying that they need to listen to the electorate and change their policies but personally I think that this is completely the wrong approach.

IMVHO what we don't need is the same bunch of remote elitist professional politicians with the only change being that they're pushing a different message. A message they don't believe but hope people will vote for.

What we need, IMVHO, is that lot replacing with different people who are a more in touch with the electorate and who will say what they believe and what they want to do. The same lot just pushing a different message in the hope that the electorate will buy it and vote for them just doesn't interest me.

Or 900 voters saved the country from a Millipede + SNP alliance.

Odd that you should say that - a few friends who have always voted left in the past went the other way because they feared a Labour/SNP coalition. We still ended up with a Labour MP though - makes the political map most untidy!

Back