The great TP film scanner test

Jim, if you bring the negatives tomorrow, i can scan them in when i go back to manchester, saves you a bit of postage :)

Jim, if you bring the negatives tomorrow, i can scan them in when i go back to manchester, saves you a bit of postage :)

Bloody great plan! I will fetch them along tomorrow.

By the way, my scans are up! I will stick the thread address in the first post of this too.

Bloody great plan! I will fetch them along tomorrow.

I have been known to have them from time to time, i'm not due another for another few weeks now...

Having just found a load of transparencies and negs from the late 70’s early 80’s did a search about best scanners to scan them in so will be really interested in the results of the test, I’ll keep watching.

Well Rob has them now for some wet prints and v500 scanning. In fact I need to send him a pm...

Aforementioned PM received and replied to :)

I'm currently looking to buy a film scanner for my black & white 35mm negs. I'll be interested to read the outcomes of these trials :} I was getting slightly lost reading all the specifications on a few of those film scanners' product descriptions haha.

I should get the V500 scans done this week, wet prints at the weekend depending on workload :)

Really interested in this thread too as I have a V500 that I don't know if I'm using properly!

Really interested in this thread too as I have a V500 that I don't know if I'm using properly!

I cant profess to be an expert with a V500, but i'll try :p

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's a Plustek OpticFilm 7500i 35mm scanner that I've been reading about. I'm looking to buy a scanner but can't afford above the £200 mark if I'm honest. I wasn't sure where to post this but since you've been discussing scanners I thought why not in here? Thanks.

I got the Plustek 7400 a month or so back so the one you are looking at is probably better. Here are a couple of scans (35mm slide):

6836555670_be72b3b9b4_b.jpg

6836554826_2aa9ebe96f_b.jpg

@kenm Thank you for the answer & those examples, they're definitely more than decent enough quality for my liking. I rather like that second scan btw. Looks like I'll be ordering myself a 35mm scanner in the next couple of weeks :}! I'm assuming you're pleased with it? No offputting troubles?

Those scans do look rather good, can the plustek do 120 film?

robhooley167 said:
Those scans do look rather good, can the plustek do 120 film?

Perhaps.
I'm pretty certain that I read somewhere that they do 120mm film scanners.

They appear to do one, but it hasnt been released yet... Which means i wont be able to afford it :nuts:

Mine came with holders for 4 x 35mm mounted slides and strips of 6 unmounted slide or negative film. I don't see any way of putting medium format or APS film through it, so 35mm only it seems.

I am more than happy with it. Some Amazon reviewers complain about the SF software but I have had no issues with it, using Windows 7 64bit. I should have got the IR scratch removal version though. It came with a storage bag to keep the dust at bay when you are not using it.

I should probably add that I was in autopilot mode when doing these scans, scanning everything in sight in a couple of sittings, so with a bit of care and patience even better results could be achieved.

Thank you. Think this Plustek 7500i is the scanner for me. I don't need any too fancy & it's affordable for me :} I'm looking forward to getting my scanning done! {finally}.

Looking at the sky on the first pic i think id prefer a second hand epson 4490.

Being as it's slide film, i would be suprised if the sky wasnt incredibly saturated

If all that you shoot mainly is B&W then I would avoid the 7500i as all that you really get over the 7400 is an IR cleaning channel (similar to Digital ICE) which obviously doesn't work on B&W and on the 7500i its been widely regarded as fairly poor in comparison to most scanners.

The 7400 also resolves more detail (3800 dpi compared to 3500 dpi max when a USAF 1951 target is scanned) although one recurring theme with Plustek scanners is that to get the maximum resolution out of them you have to scan at the max quoted resolution and then downsize, just scanning at what you actually get doesn't get you the same resolution. Obviously scanning at 7200 dpi really increases the scan times and file size though but you get a much higher resolution when you downsize it to the same as scanning at what the scanner really resolves (read the section 'picture quality' in the 7500i review linked below if you don't quite get it).

Very detailed 7400 and 7500i reviews here:

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7400.html 7400

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7500i.html 7500i

Just to clarify, you'd recommend the Plustek 7400 over the 7500i for black & white films? I'm not particularly technically minded but will take a look at those reviews, thanks for the link.

Last edited:
My scanning session has started :) hopefully will get the wet prints done tomorrow :)

Unedited ones are in the dropbox, edited ones will follow shortly

Scan Details

3200Dpi
BW - 16bit greyscale
Colour - 48 bit RGB

No sharpening

robhooley167 said:
Unedited ones are in the dropbox, edited ones will follow shortly

Scan Details

3200Dpi
BW - 16bit greyscale
Colour - 48 bit RGB

No sharpening

Looks like they are slowly trickling through! Should all be uploaded by the morning.

Don't forget guys:- after you all have done your tests, if you want me to take any 35mm colour negs to Asda for scanning (as a comparison)...then just post them to me.

excalibur2 said:
Don't forget guys:- after you all have done your tests, if you want me to take any 35mm colour negs to Asda for scanning (as a comparison)...then just post them to me.

Good idea!

Back