The great TP film scanner test

Wet prints are done for the 2x 35mm frames and the 6x7 frame. Quite high contrast as i only had grade 4 paper but they should do the job :)

robhooley167 said:
Wet prints are done for the 2x 35mm frames and the 6x7 frame. Quite high contrast as i only had grade 4 paper but they should do the job :)

Good news. I think your others are still uploading!

Don't forget guys:- after you all have done your tests, if you want me to take any 35mm colour negs to Asda for scanning (as a comparison)...then just post them to me.

If you were thinking of Asda Park Royal, I'm sorry to tell you that they don't develop film anymore. The mini-lab machine's gone and the photo section has moved to the other side of the entrance. I guess this means that the neg scanner has gone too.

If you were thinking of Asda Park Royal, I'm sorry to tell you that they don't develop film anymore. The mini-lab machine's gone and the photo section has moved to the other side of the entrance. I guess this means that the neg scanner has gone too.

Huh :shake: and they said they were keeping the film gear...oh well it's Asda at Slough now and six miles of exercise on a bike. Mind you if anyone is interested in going there the film dept ext no is 284..why is this important? well I cycled there once and the machine wasn't working. :crying:

Rob's V500 scans added. Looks to me that the colour and contrast are pretty similar to the 9000f but that the initial scans are sharper. Both seem to brush up in a fairly similar way though.

I think the colour images are a bit more saturated than the 9000f's might be my monitor though. They all needed very little PP to brush up, nearly all i did was crop and straighten

I'm impressed with those V500 scans! Is that with the standard holder and software?

Standard holder yes, I used vuescan instead of epson scan though. There isnt a massive difference IQ wise though

Well good news (well for me :) ) is that Asda at Slough are still developing film, it was very quiet today and everything was done in 30mins. Anyway they will scan negs in minimum strips of 3 frames up to 36 per CD for the exorbitant price of £1.98 :cautious:....so if you still want me to get the test negs scanned then I'll take them down there.
At the same time I'll give the operator some puzzles with some of my 40 year old colour negs :D

Will get the negatives sent out to the next person at the end of the week/start of next week

Probably will be Sectionate

Will get the negatives sent out to the next person at the end of the week/start of next week

Good news- just let me know where they have gone so I can contact the next person for dropbox access. I am afraid I will have to remove yours now Rob! ;)

Good news- just let me know where they have gone so I can contact the next person for dropbox access. I am afraid I will have to remove yours now Rob! ;)

I'll get them sent to sectionate, he's top of the list :D

Guys I don't know what you are trying to achieve, as on a computer screen they are all going to look good (the shots from Asda look great too :) )...IMHO you have to take crops and show the difference that way.
for example

The scene using Hexanon 135m
Hex135mm1000px-1.jpg

The best quality crop I can obtain with a V750
hex135mm4crop.jpg

excalibur2 said:
Guys I don't know what you are trying to achieve, as on a computer screen they are all going to look good (the shots from Asda look great too :) )...IMHO you have to take crops and show the difference that way.
for example

The scene using Hexanon 135m

The best quality crop I can obtain with a V750

We know what we are doing. Full size (or as close as Flickr will allow in 20mb) are available on and there are dig differences already visible in the 2 lots scanned already. As for 100% crops, we aren't a bunch of digital pixel peepers like in talk equipment! ;)

..but there could be a lot of dumb people like me who can't work out your flickr site, my way is simple for all T&C viewers :)

100% crops could be misleading because they will differ depending on what the chosen scanning resolution is. You could of course try to resize everything to get it consistent but I feel that that is more of a judgement of whatever software you were using for the resizing.

The only thing I semi disagree with is that all images have a scan image and a post processed one. I feel that if we just used the raw output from the scanner that this could be a fairer reflection of what they can achieve out of the box. I always struggle with post processing film shots, I don't know whether what I'm removing is an issue at the scanning stage or a characteristic of the film stock I was using. Tricky business.

I don't look at 100% crops in film or digital and don't intend to use them for this. As for the pp images I have put those up to be shown what can be done with the images once scanned. For example I am quite surprised how well the imags from my 9000f have turned out, especially considering how much better the v500 scans look.

It appears that I missed focus a little on the wet prints, i couldn't use a grain focussed for the acros as It has negligible grain :D the others I blame on having crap eyesight :)

It appears that I missed focus a little on the wet prints, i couldn't use a grain focussed for the acros as It has negligible grain :D the others I blame on having crap eyesight :)

They don't look at in focus as the scans, I'll give you that! ;)

100% crops could be misleading because they will differ depending on what the chosen scanning resolution is. You could of course try to resize everything to get it consistent but I feel that that is more of a judgement of whatever software you were using for the resizing.

The only thing I semi disagree with is that all images have a scan image and a post processed one. I feel that if we just used the raw output from the scanner that this could be a fairer reflection of what they can achieve out of the box. I always struggle with post processing film shots, I don't know whether what I'm removing is an issue at the scanning stage or a characteristic of the film stock I was using. Tricky business.

Oh well...ideally what would be interesting is:- you would have the negs drummed scanned then a large crop as the standard and then see how close you can get with different scanners.....after all a 5' crop showing on a computer screen with plenty of detail is going to be excellent for a 12"X16" print.

Oh well...ideally what would be interesting is:- you would have the negs drummed scanned then a large crop as the standard and then see how close you can get with different scanners.....after all a 5' crop showing on a computer screen with plenty of detail is going to be excellent for a 12"X16" print.

Good idea Brian, just ask Jim to add you to the list if you can arrange the drum scans that would be brilliant.

Yeah pretty much :D

Well the crop I posted of the boat was part of an enlargement of about 6' across measured on a monitor...if anyone can get better results from their scanner they can have the neg as I would be interested to learn from someone that could get a better result.

Well the crop I posted of the boat was part of an enlargement of about 6' across measured on a monitor...if anyone can get better results from their scanner they can have the neg as I would be interested to learn from someone that could get a better result.

I'd say that there's a bit more detail to be had but not much. A drum scan should be able to get down into the grain structure to really bring out every bit of tiny detail to be had. It will also show up any inadequacies with shots, my focusing for instance still needs "work" before I'd consider it ready for drum scanning. If I want slightly out of focus shots I will scan them myself!

In my defence I do have a nice loupe on order but it won't be here until April :help:.

Sent the negs off this morning with recorded first class, should be with Nick shortly

I have recieved them, scanned them and uploaded the results. We should see something posted on here soon, from memory, the V500 looks like it trumps the V330 slightly in terms of sharpness.

I will post out the negatives to the next person in the list after the Easter Weekend (away until friday and I forgot to take the negs with me :puke: )

Sectionate said:
I have recieved them, scanned them and uploaded the results. We should see something posted on here soon, from memory, the V500 looks like it trumps the V330 slightly in terms of sharpness.

I will post out the negatives to the next person in the list after the Easter Weekend (away until friday and I forgot to take the negs with me :puke: )

I have downloaded and will jpeg convert either tonight or tomorrow for posting onto Flickr. Results do look good though. Better than my 9000f and up there with the v500. I will also have a play and see how they turn out.

Thats good to hear, I am interested to see them compared against a higher spec model as my mind is still set toward digital and I expect smooth/sharp results.

Scans posted in thread. They look quite mucky although the V330 did a good job. The negs may need a little clean...

Ah, they looked clean in my very quick scanning lol.

Doesn't look like there is too much difference between the V330 and the V500. Although, I wouldn't mind ICE

Back