The Heart of the heart nebula - Melotte 15

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Situated 7500 light years away in the ‘W’-shaped constellation of Cassiopeia, the Heart Nebula is a vast region of glowing gas, energized by a cluster of young stars at its centre. The image depicts the central region, where dust clouds are being eroded and moulded into rugged shapes by the searing cosmic radiation. It is in the middle of a much bigger nebula (IC1805) which is often called the heart nebula.

This is a reprocess of some old data that I was never happy with..... but now it's looking better!! This is all 30 minute individual exposures and it totals 13 hours of data in total.

Melotte 15 in IC1805 'The Middle of the Heart nebula' by Sara Wager, on Flickr

You can see where this image is located in the larger nebula if you take a look here

Thanks very much guys - I'm glad that you like it! This one has been resigned to the HDD for about a year as I just couldn't get anything I liked. I may attack it again later this year :) With more data.

Stunning as ever.
Your images are a joy to look at. I salute your dedication to your field of interest (i don't like waiting 10 second for an exposure).

Cheers Dominic - It's fairly easy really, I just set it to capture all the exposures.... (night after night!) and I go to bed :) The processing can take many hours per image though.

Last edited:
As for being awesome, another +1 from me!! :)

Oops! You did it again, Sara! As Andy said, a huge :ty: for sharing your images.

I am always amazed by what can be done from the surface of the earth through the atmosphere. Thanks for posting.

Oh my word, this is just amazing and beautiful, I am wowed. I have named a very special star in Cassiopeia for my son, would you mind if I saved the image, just so I can look at from time to time?

Wonderful, well done (y)

I don't think I have commented before but even prior to me being a member on here I was blown away by your deep sky stuff. My friend has dabbled in it and I could look at his images for ages at full res but you have to be one of the best anywhere doing this sort of photography.

Stunning! You mention multiple images - could you explain a little for me? I recently tried and managed about 30 seconds max (need to get a shutter release for Bulb!)

Stunning! You mention multiple images - could you explain a little for me? I recently tried and managed about 30 seconds max (need to get a shutter release for Bulb!)

In this context multiple images means a number (perhaps 50 or so) of separate exposures that generally equal 30 minutes each. They are then stacked together to increase the signal :)

Stunning image thank you for sharing it Sara :)

these are just incredible i love viewing your images!

i got to ask though! what is your camera setup / processing step for these?! some serious dedication and time put in to create such an amazing image!!

Thanks Chris - You can see a video about how I collect this data here - The stuff I use is all dedicated astro equipment,

Cheers Phil :)

Back