The iOS 6 Thread

Similar time, around 30 mins now up and running with 6 ... not that I'm that excited mind you :shrug:

I've updated my 4s and can confirm that 3d views and satellite are pretty poor :(

I use maps a fair bit, but luckily in 2d basic map view. If I can see the road I'm on and a near by junction I can go from that.

Not tried turn by turn yet, but I'd suspect its no match for my Tom Tom.

I won't be bothering updating my 4, I like the ability to check an area I'm travelling to, get an idea of the house or building I'm going to, and what parking looks like in the area.

A but of a conundrum when I buy the iP5, do I keep the 4 until Google push the standalone app out, or sell and make do for now (I do have a standalone tomtom for directions, so I'm not bothered by turn by turn).

I hope UK retailers update their systems and allow use of passbook. it looks like a really cool and time saving feature.

The sat maps are usable for that, but it's like going back a few years, 3d view is really naff, like google earth was before streetview

I noticed a local one first time I looked at maps, Redheugh Bridge, Newcastle.

8004243969_45bd4fc8f8.jpg

It does work, I'm posting from it now :)

There seems to be a bit of a bug that ill report, you need to press return at the end post if its a one liner, if you press return to start a new sentence or paragraph it posts as normal.

digitalfailure said:
It does work, I'm posting from it now :)

There seems to be a bit of a bug that ill report, you need to press return at the end post if its a one liner, if you press return to start a new sentence or paragraph it posts as normal.

Ah yes that works

Tried it, used it, and restored right back 5.1.1.

New Maps are a joke compared to old ones. The satellite views for parts of the uk are black and white and about 10 years out of date! Yelp business listings are pretty scarce in my area as well. Haven't tried navigation as it isn't supported on the iPhone 4.

YouTube app has gone but there is now no alternative for iPad.

Won't be using Facebook integration, not unless I want all my Facebook friends to appear in my phone contacts. Which I don't.

The rest of the "features" seem like mostly filler to me. And to think we now have to wait another 12 months until they do the next update. Was this really it? Not good.

Just checked for update via iphone. 626mb download, but needs 2.5gb space!

I have just noticed that I can add google maps to my homescreen by going to maps.google.com in safari, then selecting the arrow symbol at the bottom of the screen (middle icon) and then select "add to homescreen".

It seems to work OK, but hopefully there will be a proper google map app for ios6 eventually.

As per the title!

Installed and all is well, good luck to the rest of you!

Andy

Yep, thread running in the Computers, Websites and Other Technology forum of all places.

You're lagging behind :LOL:

neil_g said:
As predicted cloud tabs are very handy.

So far it's been the best feature I've used on the update. The new maps are crap though! Although its saved all my old bookmarks it cant find half of them!

Maps are not great, will await the google maps app and have otherwise stuck a link to it from safari on my front screen. Otherwise seems rather nice. Now to wait for my iphone 5!

Anyone know what version ships on the 5 I get mine tomorrow and I use maps quit a lot on my 3GS. From what I'm reading here and on the web I don't want ios6 on it yet.

Very annoying that for us poor country folk, when the crappy BT internet cuts out in the night after having done about 85% download, when you resume dowwnload starts back at the beginning again! Dear lord! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

All installed here - seems to have worked fine, no issues so far and feels snappier than iOS 5

ChrisH said:
Anyone know what version ships on the 5 I get mine tomorrow and I use maps quit a lot on my 3GS. From what I'm reading here and on the web I don't want ios6 on it yet.

It ships with iOS 6.

Installed last nigh and stuck my phone into the bedside Sony clock radio to charge
Got up this morning and it hasn't charged
Thanks apple

Back