The iOS 6 Thread

Impressive! It would be even better if you turned bluetooth off :LOL:

I don't normally worry about turning bits off, Sod's law is, I would get in the car and forget to turn it back on.

you must have the brightness turned down pretty low to get that usage
i am down to 65% after nearly 3 hours use and 10 hours stanby

Brightness is just under half, certainly not dark, what network are you on? I suspect the dual networks of EE mean my phone doesn't spend much time searching, worst I get is 1 bar 3G, it never drops to E or 2G.

I'm actually on 89% now, 3hrs 33min use, 17hrs 44min on standby.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. My screen brightness is about 75% and my battery is sitting at 55% currently after 2h 24m usage and 2 days 9 hours of standby :shrug:

3 hours of use with a bright screen will take it down below 93% for sure
standby time is pretty irrelevant as i have a 3g sitting on my desk that has a crappy battery life but has been on for a couple of weeks with no use

I don't normally worry about turning bits off, Sod's law is, I would get in the car and forget to turn it back on.

Brightness is just under half, certainly not dark, what network are you on? I suspect the dual networks of EE mean my phone doesn't spend much time searching, worst I get is 1 bar 3G, it never drops to E or 2G.

I'm actually on 89% now, 3hrs 33min use, 17hrs 44min on standby.

im on orange as well but i get around a bit but i do find the signal better than previously on 02

as above standby time they will probably go for 3 weeks at least
i used mine for around 30 minutes this morning and the battery dropped down to 93% but i do have the screen a bit brighter

After doing a number of hard resets and finally deciding not to re-install any apps battery life is fine. At last usage doesn't equal "time since last full charge"! This, to me, says that there was an App that has a serious problem, something that was no doubt updated following the change to iOS6. One of the apps was sending data constantly and eating battery. Which one though is the question?

<troll mode> It's lucky that Apple devices 'just work' and don't have bugs like Windows&Android devices</troll mode>:LOL:

I'm seriously impressed with some of those battery life figures - one things that has kept me away from a super-smart phone is having to keep on top of charging it every day, but it doesn't look like that is the case anymore :clap:

<troll mode> It's lucky that Apple devices 'just work' and don't have bugs like Windows&Android devices</troll mode>:LOL:

Well in my experience it looks as if the Apple device doesn't have a bug, but that an App has been badly coded.
Why do need people feel the need to write stuff like that? :thinking:

There are lots of reports that Apples own podcast app is being buggy and eating up data and probably battery life in the background. So that might be your answer?

I'm finding battery life on the iphone 5 to be stellar, I ended up with 3 days standby/10 hours usage on my last charge.

I am sure that it is apps causing people's problems with battery, I would hazard a guess some iOS 5 apps aren't working 100% on iOS 6, I also think too many apps want control of notifications and location services. I've removed those permissions from most third party apps and think this is one reason I'm getting such good standby.

First one that made me question this was Snapseed, why should it need to be using location services and activating GPS just because I am editing a photo?

Dave1 said:
I'm finding battery life on the iphone 5 to be stellar, I ended up with 3 days standby/10 hours usage on my last charge.

I am sure that it is apps causing people's problems with battery, I would hazard a guess some iOS 5 apps aren't working 100% on iOS 6, I also think too many apps want control of notifications and location services. I've removed those permissions from most third party apps and think this is one reason I'm getting such good standby.

First one that made me question this was Snapseed, why should it need to be using location services and activating GPS just because I am editing a photo?

10 hour usage?
How much of it was screen time ?
Push email?

10 hour usage?
How much of it was screen time ?
Push email?

Quite a bit, email to manual, tight control of push notifications and location services, iCloud not used (I prefer manual backups). People on MacRumours are reporting iCloud doing backups at night even on cellular and not plugged in (possible iOS bug?).

Anyone with an iphone should check "privacy" in settings and see how many apps have been granted permission to use location services, I find at least half don't actually need it. If its an app you use often, the battery drain from the GPS (especially if you happen to be inside and away from a view of the sky) will be substantial.

Last edited:
Quite a bit might be different with every user;)

Switch emails to push.

Is gps not used only when you use the apo that uses it? If not and it is on all the time then that's balls :)

Quite a bit might be different with every user;)

Switch emails to push.

Is gps not used only when you use the apo that uses it? If not and it is on all the time then that's balls :)

GPS can be activated by many apps as a default setting. Some apps that have no absolutely no need (like photo editors) will power up GPS while open, so you spend half an hour inside cropping and editing pics, and the phone has gone to full power GPS trying to find satellites through your roof.

Easy to turn the permissions off though, and definitely recommended.

Some examples:
snapseed
aviary
Facebook
Flickr
Code Reader
Light meter
Imageshack
Odeon cinemas
Quidco
RedLaser
Shazam
Tesco
Twitter
Yahoo

All have a GPS default of on for location services, none actually need it, and even if there was a specific need its easy to activate for the task and then deny again. I'm sure it saves a lot of battery power. Especially if you get an app that doesn't shut down properly and runs in the background for hours.

Last edited:
Back