The iOS 6 Thread

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Today's the day it gets released to all. Not available for me yet. Here's a thread to discuss your update experiences and opinions of the new firmware.

So what's expected?

One of my most used features is the maps app which I understand will be changing.
As I do a lot of walking in the country it is very handy to be able to see an image of the ground from above and see exactly where you are. Not sure if the new app will be better or worse for the quality of imagery presented.

Keith W said:
I think you may mean 7pm?

Alicante is only an hour ahead of us at the moment (we are not in GMT yet)

6PM GMT is 7PM BST, 8PM CEST no?

Strangely enough one feature I'm looking forward to is multiple signatures for email. Sad but true.

Finally I can utilise Mail properly for my business accounts!

Right moving swiftly on......

I don't know about you guys but I will not be installing this update straight away, I will be waiting a while to see how it goes for others and if any bugs show up.

I will update my iPhone 4 to tide me over until my 5 appears from apple, currently predicting the 1st of October. I can't update my ipad as it is too old now apparently, oh well! I may well replace it on the next iteration.

I will do the update because I'm driving to Valencia on Saturday and want to give the navigation a good test.

It's going to be an interesting test for sure. Of course I will let you know how it performs.

One of my most used features is the maps app which I understand will be changing.
As I do a lot of walking in the country it is very handy to be able to see an image of the ground from above and see exactly where you are. Not sure if the new app will be better or worse for the quality of imagery presented.

If the maps feature doesn't change from the GM version of iOS6 it's crap and a real regression from the older version. The satellite images are not as clear, probably attaining their full resolution at less than half the magnification of the old system.

Even worse, there is no street view. While the 3D view of central London is pretty, the rest of the country is far worse.

I've updated my 4s and can confirm that 3d views and satellite are pretty poor :(

I use maps a fair bit, but luckily in 2d basic map view. If I can see the road I'm on and a near by junction I can go from that.

Not tried turn by turn yet, but I'd suspect its no match for my Tom Tom.

Downloaded and updating ... nearly done.

Should have also mentioned there's an update to GarageBand if you use it that requires iOS 6, it finally allows in phone ringtone creation amongst a few other bits.

Total install time for the 4s was around 15 minutes, my iPad is just firing back up after taking about 20 mins to download and update. No connection issues :)

Downloaded on 1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPad 3, 1 iPad 2 but still installing on all of them. Still downloading on 1 iPhone 4.

Back