The iOS 6 Thread

Aside from the mapping annoyances (not a huge user of maps) and the lack of YouTube app (tried accessing through safari and the videos I tried said they needed flash installed)......

I am annoyed that they have broken streaming Bluetooth audio in my car - the track controls (forward and back) no longer work.

They did on ios5 a few minutes before upgrading and now they don't on ios6

:thumbsdown::shrug::bang::bonk::nono:

bl0at3r said:
Aside from the mapping annoyances (not a huge user of maps) and the lack of YouTube app (tried accessing through safari and the videos I tried said they needed flash installed)......

I am annoyed that they have broken streaming Bluetooth audio in my car - the track controls (forward and back) no longer work.

There is an iPhone app for YouTube.

odd, youtube works fine in safari on my ipad and iphone with no flash :thinking:

Same here, I've spent the last five minutes randomly clicking on youtube videos and trailers on my iPad and every one has played without fail.

Last edited:
My 4S went from 32% battery to 26% in a little under an hour while being in standby on the table. It received 2 emails only in that time. :(
The iPad battery seems to be draining quicker as well but not as fast as the phone!

Rico said:
My 4S went from 32% battery to 26% in a little under an hour while being in standby on the table. It received 2 emails only in that time. :(
The iPad battery seems to be draining quicker as well but not as fast as the phone!

Check your Notifications. Only have on the ones you need because your phone will constantly look for them otherwise & that drains the battery. Same goes for location services.

I generally turn off anything I'm not using. So far mines lasted 2 1/2 days & it's about to get charged. That ain't bad as I've been playing with the upates

What car is this with ?

There seems to be very mixed reports on line..

odd, youtube works fine in safari on my ipad and iphone with no flash :thinking:

Same here, I've spent the last five minutes randomly clicking on youtube videos and trailers on my iPad and every one has played without fail.

Homepage and 1st 2 random videos I tried..

Photo%2023-09-2012%2006%2051%2055.png

Photo%2023-09-2012%2006%2052%2024.png

Photo%2023-09-2012%2006%2053%2032.png

:thumbsdown:

Yesterday I gave the navigation a good test. Nearly 180km between here and Valencia. I was offered 3 routes. I chose one, then deliberately deviated to see how it coped with re-routing. Worked perfectly, delivering me straight to the door of the hotel. It's all very basic though, no POIs, and no nighttime mode. Whilst it works as a get you from A-B, it still feels like a work in process.

Yesterday I gave the navigation a good test. Nearly 180km between here and Valencia. I was offered 3 routes. I chose one, then deliberately deviated to see how it coped with re-routing. Worked perfectly, delivering me straight to the door of the hotel. It's all very basic though, no POIs, and no nighttime mode. Whilst it works as a get you from A-B, it still feels like a work in process.

I still insist that there needs to be a locally cached copy of the map - how can you have turn by turn navigation when it won't load the map images due to no mobile signal?

Google Maps on the iPhone was virtually useless in low or no 3G signal areas.

TomTom maps of the UK are approx 200mb on my TomTom Satnav - I'd gladly lose that (or more) out of my onboard iDevice memory if it meant the street maps are available the whole time.

I still insist that there needs to be a locally cached copy of the map - how can you have turn by turn navigation when it won't load the map images due to no mobile signal?

The only time I lost signal was in tunnels. You know when you have lost it because the arrow icon that represents your position changes from blue to grey. It didn't stop navigating though.

The only time I lost signal was in tunnels. You know when you have lost it because the arrow icon that represents your position changes from blue to grey. It didn't stop navigating though.

I'm talking about 3G data signal rather than GPS - unless they are locally caching map data, as soon as you loose 3G data coverage the maps won't load and be displayed.

As an example, 2 weeks ago, I was in Waltham Abbey, came off the M25 motorway at Jct 26 due to an accident and because of closure at Jct 27.

Once I was off the motorway I stopped to use the maps app (Google as it was on iOS5) - to try and find where I was and what road to take - no 3G coverage on o2 in that area - so it was totally useless - it failed trying to load the map data but had GPS signal so knew where it was. The dot indicating my position was in the middle of a blank page. :bang:

On my TomTom, the map data is held locally on the device - so you can browse the map even if you have no GPS signal to triangulate your position.

With UK 3G coverage being so poor they must cache the mapping data locally or it will be a total failure.

This was a problem on iOS5 with the Google map app, but seeing as they are now touting turn-by-turn navigation being a feature on iOS6 with the Apple map app, it has to work reliably.

Last edited:
Homepage and 1st 2 random videos I tried..

Photo%2023-09-2012%2006%2052%2024.png

:thumbsdown:
----------------------------------------------

Another question is why does your iPad go to www.youtube when mine defalts to the mobile site m.youtube.com, or have you previously moved from the default mobile site and selected the desktop site ;)

photo_zps05f09dc5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm talking about 3G data signal rather than GPS - unless they are locally caching map data, as soon as you loose 3G data coverage the maps won't load and be displayed.

As an example, 2 weeks ago, I was in Waltham Abbey, came off the M25 motorway at Jct 26 due to an accident and because of closure at Jct 27.

Once I was off the motorway I stopped to use the maps app (Google as it was on iOS5) - to try and find where I was and what road to take - no 3G coverage on o2 in that area - so it was totally useless - it failed trying to load the map data but had GPS signal so knew where it was. :bang:

On my TomTom, the map data is held locally on the device - so you can browse the map even if you have no GPS signal to triangulate your position.

With UK 3G coverage being so poor they must cache the mapping data locally or it will be a total failure.

I dunno Alan. Maybe 3G coverage is better here. I'd be surprised though as we do lag behind the UK when it comes to technology. All I know is, it worked well for me and and at no point did I lose the map.

On a more positive note - I do love the new DND and caller rejection messages (yes I know this was already available on Android)(y)

And the Safari iCloud Tabs

Ok so it was me - I had clicked the desktop site link before saving the link to my homescreen.:nono:

Deleted and changed to the mobile html5 version and it works (y)

Thanks for you help

Dave if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to select the desktop version, just remember to do the same again and select the mobile site after you've had a look.

Personnel I tend to use the iTube app

Last edited:
Here's a strange one.. ever since installing iOS6 on my iPad it takes 3 swipes to unlock it when it's first turned on!!!
Not the end of the world but a little irritating all the same

Personnel I tend to use the iTube app

Just installed it, but seems to have 2 faults, I can't find anyway to get it to open to the YouTube home screen rather than just a blank search page, and it doesn't seem to have any HD playback (or any way of choosing the picture quality).

Unless there is a way to get HD content through that app it still seems the best way until a proper iPad app launches is through Safari.

Dave1 said:
Just installed it, but seems to have 2 faults, I can't find anyway to get it to open to the YouTube home screen rather than just a blank search page, and it doesn't seem to have any HD playback (or any way of choosing the picture quality).

Unless there is a way to get HD content through that app it still seems the best way until a proper iPad app launches is through Safari.

Click the cog icon on the video and you can select the quality.

Battery drain is becoming a point of concern, I take it that there is no way of reverting to the previous software version?

I remember a discussion I had with an apple employee when my first 4S was exchanged when he suggested turning off location services, Siri, notifications etc to save battery life. I asked him what was the point of the iPhone then if I had to turn off all the features to get the battery to last more than 4 hours! Turning off all the features makes it a stupidly priced handset for calls and texts only!

Both my 4s and my ipad3 seem better on the batter under iOS6 :shrug:

I do remember an iOS update affecting my old 3Gs though, I restored the phone and it seemed better after.

I remember a discussion I had with an apple employee when my first 4S was exchanged when he suggested turning off location services, Siri, notifications etc to save battery life. I asked him what was the point of the iPhone then if I had to turn off all the features to get the battery to last more than 4 hours! Turning off all the features makes it a stupidly priced handset for calls and texts only!

4 hours standby?

neil_g said:
4 hours standby?

4 hours doing the normal things that one does on a smartphone such as a few emails in and out, check TP, Facebook & Twitter and maybe a few texts. Certainly not heavy usage by any stretch but I could literally sit and watch the battery percentage drop.
It was also getting ridiculously hot when in use for the above tasks.

It's not unheard of for white iPhones to behave in this way but its far from every handset has a problem.

I take it that there is no way of reverting to the previous software version?

It is supposed to be possible, but after reading so many web sites my head is spinning. It would appear you need to have saved the .SHSH file from the earlier version. But in all honesty it is just absolutely impossible to follow these procedures with inducing high blood pressure.

I've been trying to do a factory restore of my iPhone 4, which is on iOS 5.1.1 and want it to stay on 5.1.1 and even for this the instructions seem like nuclear physics.. Even following every step and saving the .SHSH file still just results in a fail on iTunes when it does the verification step.

I would say for the average user it's not easily possibly to do anything other than iOS 6 unfortunately.

and what was the apple employees reply?

It's not unheard of for white iPhones to behave in this way but its far from every handset has a problem.

Are you suggesting the white iPhone has a different battery to the black version?

My white iPhone 5 has been running since Friday evening with quite a lot of playing about.

I still have 46% left.

joescrivens said:
and what was the apple employees reply?

He agreed with me and wandered off to get me a replacement handset without argument. (y)

Dave1 said:
Are you suggesting the white iPhone has a different battery to the black version?

My white iPhone 5 has been running since Friday evening with quite a lot of playing about.

I still have 46% left.

I'm not suggesting that. I'm sure it's the same battery in both but most of the people complaining on the Apple forums about poor battery life and heat issues with the 4S (back in February when I had issues) had white handsets. :shrug:

Rico said:
4 hours doing the normal things that one does on a smartphone such as a few emails in and out, check TP, Facebook & Twitter and maybe a few texts. Certainly not heavy usage by any stretch but I could literally sit and watch the battery percentage drop.
It was also getting ridiculously hot when in use for the above tasks.

I can certainly get a couple days use out of my 4s

Reading about the bugs in iOS6 here and elsewhere I'm just glad I haven't updated my 4S...and I can't see anything in the update that improves on my jailbreak tweaks (bar Siri improvements).

I think I'll wait till the untethered jailbreak for iOS6 comes out before updating - hopefully by then they would have sorted out the new maps!

joescrivens said:
Expected nothing less from the superb customer service of apple.

Agreed. I've dealt with a lot of large companies customer service departments and out of all of them Apple are in a league of their own for excellence.

Back