The iOS 7 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
So we've now seen what is coming. What are your general impressions? I like the Ives touch of the new style. The Control Center answers many of the criticisms of the current iOS and iTunes Radio will be a welcome addition.
I'm looking forward to getting it.

I love it, looks very slick.

Yes some other mobile OS have had similar for a while but "meh" I don't want to use those.

I did have to chuckle about the little digs at Android in the presentation though..

i like it.

As with everything people won't like change, and will take some getting use too, but im liking it so far.

Not sure how useful airdrop will be if it relies on the MDNS like airplay etc, bit pointless if you need a wifi connection, hopefully it utilises some sort of iCloud/iMessage operation.

Last edited:
i have the beta installed. It's very different. The beta is a little sluggish on an iphone 4s at the moment but thats usual.

Here are some screencaps. Loving the way these can just be posted to flickr from the OS.

this is my home screen. The way the background moves around is really nice. There is no longer a swipe left to do a search. You pull down on the screen, but not at the top for notification centre. just in the body of the phone where the apps are

image by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

this is the moments view in the photos app. As you touch closer it kind of zooms in like its an infinite space and you are just focusing on that section. It's picked up geolocations from my 5dmark 3 pics and knows exactly where they are from the exif i guess.

This is the control centre. Controlling brightness, lock and getting to calculator, flashlight and camera all together is much easier

Here is the multi tasking page. You don't hold down and then tap the x to close them you just swipe them away and its multi touch so you can throw away three at a time

The subtle animations from moving through apps, opening and closing them is nice, it makes them feel less sandboxed.

This iTunes radio thing is really cool. I haven't used spotify so can't comment on if it is better or worse but it's really cool. It works in the control centre. So I can change tracks from within safari just like it was on my iPhone as music I owned.

Last edited:
Jesus, the new design looks so childish. It's horrible. I can't imagine it will stick around for long in this form. Over on Dribbble, there are some excellent UI mockups for the iPhone that would be much more suitable than what Apple have now introduced.

Posting from Flickr via the OS is a nice touch though.

Last edited:
theres no ads at all, but its likely they aren't on the dev version beta

Yeah, there will be ads on the free version of the main iOS release.

What have they priced the paid version of the radio at? It will be interesting to see how it compares to Spotify - it'll take quite a lot to convert people, I'd imagine.

Just seen that it's £19/year, but is not really a rival to Spotify in any way - more last.fm and Pandora.

Last edited:
heres how the flickr integration works. Once you added your account its these few steps

1. open camera roll

2. press select and pick the photos

3. press share then press flickr

4. press post and my pics were on there about 10 seconds later

Yeah, there will be ads on the free version of the main iOS release.

What have they priced the paid version of the radio at? It will be interesting to see how it compares to Spotify - it'll take quite a lot to convert people, I'd imagine.

dunno, but having used it for 10 minutes i love it and i'd pay for it for sure. To have it integrated within the OS this way is worth the cost. However I've not used spotify so i don't need converting I guess

yeah, you'll find that you have to appreciate style and design in order to like it. (y)

I appreciate style and design, it still looks bloody awful to me.

dunno, but having used it for 10 minutes i love it and i'd pay for it for sure. To have it integrated within the OS this way is worth the cost. However I've not used spotify so i don't need converting I guess

You've never used Spotify? Crikey, I thought my Gran was out of touch when it came to technology.

yeah, you'll find that you have to appreciate style and design in order to like it. (y)

If you appreciate style and design, you won't like iOS 7. You can see what they were trying to do, and done well it looks good - but they've failed miserably.

corrected that for you :naughty:

You're in the minority on this one Joe, but that won't stop you.

Childish icons
Ugly colour palette
Some menus look cluttered
Generally just too bright and saturated
Helvetica Neue Ultra Light font is an odd choice

It's not something you'd associate with Apple, their designs are usually a lot more simple, beautiful and classy.

I like the old style, I like the way my iPhone still looks and functions exactly like my first iPhone in 2007, it's the reason I stuck with Apple for so long.

Seeing there's a major visual overhaul, might as well look for other options available on the market and adapt to a new, more open ecosystem.......

When Apple trying to follow market trends, LongPhone 5 and iOShinny 7, they will fall behind.

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice to me. Just waiting for my mate to add my UDID to his Dev account and I will try it for myself.

Shame on you Neil, I thought you were on the ball when it came to tech! What do you use instead?

Maybe it's a younger persons thing.

i dont use an online stream at the moment. spotify i never saw the point as the free version is only on a computer, my journey to work on the train is across the NF and data drops off and i dont want to pay.

itunes radio i might use about the house on the ipad if its free.

oh, and thanks about the "young persons" comment :nono:

by the way the itunes radio isn't avalable in the UK yet i just discovered when i went to update some apps it changed my app store to the uk and i lost the itunes radio. Looks like it was set to US by default.

luckily for me i have a US account to so re-added it

can you post the link to the poll which shows I'm in the minority?

Imagine if you reigned that pedantry side of your personality in, people might not think of your account as such a waste of server space.

It's hard to take anyones opinion seriously on the subject of good design, when they decide to use Englebert and Angelina fonts on their website.

Imagine if you reigned that pedantry side of your personality in, people might not think of your account as such a waste of server space.

It's hard to take anyones opinion seriously on the subject of good design, when they decide to use Englebert and Angelina fonts on their website.

horray, 2 pages in and we're getting personal already.

wind it in ladies.

iOS 7 - designed by adults, coloured in by 3 year olds.

I'm amazed Ive has let it go live looking as it does to be honest :puke:

#fail

iOS 7 - designed by adults, coloured in by 3 year olds.

I'm amazed Ive has let it go live looking as it does to be honest :puke:

#fail

Agreed. A step in the right direction in some respects, and a huge step backwards in others. It needs a lot of work doing to it.

The worst part is, it will now change the design of a lot of apps ,to fit in with the look of the software - if it doesn't, the whole design will be a complete mismatch which would be just as bad.

Imagine if you reigned in the antagonistic side of yours.

You don't like the new iOS? Fine, you've said so. Now move on. Keep making personal digs, and that decision will be made for you.

Not interested in silly childish personal attacks

getting back to the topic at hand - who wants to see some of the awesome weather backgrounds

yes please, i was thinking last night that i might be able to bin 3rd party weather

ok but i'm struggling to find anywhere with weather that isn't "partly cloudy" :LOL:

suggest some places in the world that are daylight right now that might have more interesting a varying weathers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back