The Lightblock Project

Thanks Steve. I'm not an electronics expert so can only go on the power of Google Fu ;0) I've found the 1/8W 75K resistors in a strip via a US ebay seller but no joy with the 49.9K.

Alternatively, is there another resistor available that would drop 5v to 2v within a USB device to output a 500ma charge rate?

Cheers
Steve

Do you need something as small as 1/8 watt - it's always better to over-rate than match the exact spec required. Also resistors are available in standard values, so to get the value you require it will be necessary to combine multiple resistances. There's a couple of suppliers I know of who sell individual resistors:

www.ampmaker.com - used to supply components when I was building guitar amps, Barry is very helpful.
www.component-shop.co.uk - supplies rechareable batteries, LEDs and resistors.

If you're soldering tiny heat-sensitive components then consider buying a clip-on heat sink to prevent cooking them.

Last edited:
I've got a big stack of resistors in the lab at uni, I'll have a look and see if there are any of the ones you're after.

Thanks to Steve, Mariner and Rob, all help is much appreciated. The Maplin 75K resistor is the one I found earlier but also found that there's no 49.9K but I haven't looked at anything 'near enough'.

This is the diagram I'm working off which has the resistance calculation of 49.9K / (49.9K+ 75K) * 5.0V = 2.0V although I've seen another suggestion of using a single 100K ohm resistor but as far as I can see that will output 2.4v (assuming my maths is correct!)

adafruit_products_usb4res500mA.gif

Cheers
Steve

Apparently 49.9 is a standard in the 1% serise. Any way you can use any combination of resistors to make the maths balance, if you are lucky there will be a half decent electronics guy in the store; go in and ask him/her they'll sort you out given what maplin charge for resistors a bit of customer service is included in the price.

if you are lucky there will be a half decent electronics guy in the store
Maybe my own experience but I've never find any half decent electronics guy in maplin, usually they are only able to read what is written on the box/catalogue and make you pay 5-10 time the price of the parts on ebay... I've stopped using maplin ages ago...

Maybe my own experience but I've never find any half decent electronics guy in maplin, usually they are only able to read what is written on the box/catalogue and make you pay 5-10 time the price of the parts on ebay... I've stopped using maplin ages ago...

I only use them as a last resort, but there is one guy in my local store who really knows his stuff the rest are till operators.

That
I've added a very quickly printed/insulation taped mask to the negatives to block the light spill from the acrylic and make the slides stand out. I still need to rebate the glass and make proper masks out of mount board but I'm liking the effect so far :0)

View attachment 12097

View attachment 12098

Cheers
Steve
Looks really good! Very nicely executed.

Thanks :0) I picked up some black mountboard over the weekend along with a circuit to drop the 12v power source to a 5v USB output for the charger function so now need to focus on the electronics and mask overlay. I'm shooting some portraits on sunday with a mix of digital and film and the person I'm shooting them for is also interested in one of these so looks like I need to ramp up my production line!

Cheers
Steve

Steve it's a great idea, but there's something bothering me.
Each time you show another prototype there is an unnecessary shoddiness to the object, as if actually making this stuff isn't your cup of tea, which would really cripple your ability to make an actual profit. Prove me wrong and I'll be happier, really.
Can you show a really tidy prototype without any compromises or unfinished bits?

Thanks for your feedback and honesty. The latest shots show a hastily made mask as I was showing a friend what it will look like and was eager to put more shots up here.

To be fair, I should refrain from posting any more images until I've got a finished unit. I'm normally over-precise when it comes to making items but due to limited spare time I've had to jump on and off this. Until I've got a completed mount and USB port I won't post any more shots :0)

Cheers
Steve

To be fair, Ulfric, the standard of Steve's workmanship on some of the other stuff he's shown us has been great. I think this is a prototype issue. I've been in aweof some of the things he's done!

Forget the USB port, show a completed mount with the lights working and no 'off' angles, no misaligned frames, no clips.

No problem, I'll take your concern on quality as genuine interest and appreciate that. The frame was originally devised as just for my own use and only considered as a saleable option after interest from both togs and non-togs alike.

Thanks for the support as well Chris. I'm glad you see what I can do (normally with repairing lenses!) but I've spent my life making/building various kit and gadgets but just don't have the same time/budget as I used to otherwise this would have been completed a while back.

I take on board the comments about fit and finish. Once the frame is ready to trial I'll put some better photos up.

Cheers
Steve

Don't stop showing the creative process Steve, it's fascinating to some of us and I for one am enjoying the evolution of your idea.

Thanks guys. It's good to see both sides of feedback and I'm glad you're liking the work in progress shots. I'm getting a little frustrated with the time it's taking me to complete but I'll get there in the end.

Neat idea. Haven't read every reply but I think having several of these that you can stack together is a cool idea.

We have a digital photo frame but never really use it that much. I'm trying to figure out why because it's a similar concept and in fact is more flexible because you can change images. I think it's because it needs to be plugged in somewhere, and because it's quite bright it's quite distracting if placed near the TV. I think "portable" things like your concept that can be moved around the house would be great. I'm not sure about committing to having the same images in them though considering how many I have :) I'd have to choose a few really special ones I think.

It's definitely worth posting images throughout the design process, can crowd-source ideas and suggestions then. Especially considering some of the expertise around in this section for DIY, engineering and bodge jobs!

Thanks Steve. I'm not an electronics expert so can only go on the power of Google Fu ;0) I've found the 1/8W 75K resistors in a strip via a US ebay seller but no joy with the 49.9K

Why would you need anything as accurate as 49.9K? 47K is a standard size and is probably close enough. If it does need to be 49.9K though, a couple of 100K resistors in parallel will do it.

You might be interested in the products this company makes. The company I work for makes the flexible light panels they are using.

http://designledproducts.com/

Steve.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've had chance to work on my lightbox photoframe but thought I should add an update. I've just received 3 custom mounts from PictureLizard to give a variety of options;

1) Four 645 Negatives

2) Two 6"x6" Negatives

3) Two 645 Negatives

Close up detail of a backlit 645 negative

I still need to cut a rebate into the front of the frame so I can recess the glass so in the meantime, this is kind of how the mount/frame would look (except it will be recessed back around 20mm with a sheet of glass in front)

I really need to find the time to complete this now that I've seen the slides of my kids mounted and I've got interest in another from a couple I've just shot some portraits for. As ever, feedback/thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Lovin' it Steve, looks extra spesh does that.

Andy

Another update.....finished article :0)

View attachment 16321

View attachment 16322

I've fitted the 2 x 645 negative mount into a new rounded frame designed for wall mounting but also has a table stand. These Provia negatives are from a portrait shoot I did a few weeks ago and the client was already interested in the lightbox frame.

This frame, rather than being extra deep, has a built in box behind the frame that's around 1" deep and acts as a perfect lightbox. I added a pair of rails to support the acrylic sheet and fitted the LEDs around the edge to spread the light evenly,

View attachment 16323

I'll take some better shots once I've got my lighting kit back off a friend.

Cheers
Steve

That looks great, only thing I'd add would be batteries rather than the power cord.

Sorry, I haven't really looked into this thread previously and I'm currently on my iPhone, so maybe I've missed something, but how could you be doing this with negatives? Surely you must be using positives, right?

I've been looking at LiPo batteries to deliver 12v but have a reasonable usage time. For the the current version, I've designed it as a desktop frame that could be hung if you wanted to (with a slim cable).

Fair comment RJ, these are Provia slides and not negatives :0)

Ok, I need everyone's help :0). Whilst I know how much this cost to put together, what would anyone see as a reasonable price for a lightbox frame like this?

Whilst the slides in it currently were from a paid portrait shoot so pricing would theoretically be factored into any future jobs, I'm interested to know thoughts on one as a 'standalone' frame to put your own shots in? I could include a selection of mounts (645 / 6x6 / 35mm etc) or just a single specific mount.

All thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, exciting update...my Lightbox Frame is now wireless and ready for wall-mounting options!

Lightbox Frame now Wireless by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Lightbox Frame now Wireless by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

It's now powered via a USB power bank so can be charged and wall mounted or powered via a standard USB cable from a PC or charger :0)

I'm currently using a power bank I already had but have got a smaller unit on the way which has 2 USB ports, one that is 1amp and one that is 2amps so the lightbox can be powered and a device charged at the same time. I'm building the power bank into a cradle on the back so it can be used independently of the frame if required making it dual purpose.

All feedback appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

What I like about this project is the way its slowly changed and adapted from an idea to a nearly finished product. Its been really great seeing it from concept to actual item and it looks fabulous. Well done mate, I'm very impressed and I hope it flys off the shelves.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that means a lot. Looking back at the first concept I built it's a million miles from it and looking much more like a finished product. I'm currently in discussion with a few suppliers in Hong Kong for the components so I can keep the costs down which will help.

I'm also sending details to a couple of existing shops/sites to see if there would be any interest in it. Hopefully it may take off :0)

Cheers
Steve

I'm also sending details to a couple of existing shops/sites to see if there would be any interest in it. Hopefully it may take off :0)

It sounds a bit twee and insincere (to my ears but then I'm a cynical sod at the best of times) to say, "fingers crossed" but I really do wish you all the best with this, Steve. The final prototype (?) looks fantastic and I think the 6x4.5 mask is my favourite simply because you see more picture than border, IYSWIM. Keep us posted on this and all the best with it (y)

It sounds a bit twee and insincere (to my ears but then I'm a cynical sod at the best of times) to say, "fingers crossed" but I really do wish you all the best with this, Steve. The final prototype (?) looks fantastic and I think the 6x4.5 mask is my favourite simply because you see more picture than border, IYSWIM. Keep us posted on this and all the best with it (y)

It doesn't seem insincere to me :0) Thanks a lot for the support and I agree, the two negative mount does look the best. I've got a 2 6x6 mount to test as well so I'll put some of my Velvia slides in to see how they look.

Cool. Only just noticed this!

Galleries might also be interested but there are a few digital printers that offer light boxes with digital prints. Genesis imaging is one. They might have ready made frames you can buy in bulk?

Just looked at the genesis imaging site, I've seen similar lightboxes from Hong Kong suppliers too. They're also used in airports etc to display advertising so I can see there's a market.

I'm hoping that the niche approach of my film-based frames will appeal to a specific audience but I'll wait and see ;0)

Back