The magic Dehaze slider in Lightroom

Edit My Images
No
I have seen recently a lot of discussions about the standalone Lightroom vs the CC subscription.
My favorite tool is only available through the subscription, the magic Dehaze slider, in my opinion worth on its own the $10 per month.
I have also found a tiny little bug...
View: https://youtu.be/-7K8yXVYVxk

Are you going to spam us forever more with your videos?

Certainly looks that way.

While I'd not put it in QUITE so outright way, I do think that you should strongly consider participating in the greater forum @Justin Case - otherwise the management here are definitely going to get the impression that you're only here to drive click through to your Youtube channel, and you will find that your posts have a tendency to softly and silently vanish, as perhaps does your access to the forum.

Well I have found what Justin says to be correct. At least at my level of PP'ing..............

But there you go..................

While I'd not put it in QUITE so outright way, I do think that you should strongly consider participating in the greater forum @Justin Case - otherwise the management here are definitely going to get the impression that you're only here to drive click through to your Youtube channel, and you will find that your posts have a tendency to softly and silently vanish, as perhaps does your access to the forum.
I will certainly bear in mind what you are saying.
At the same time I do get a very big number of views from this forum, and also a very high number of average minutes watched, which makes me think that most people here enjoy my videos.
I don't have the impression of spamming, rather sharing my knowledge with other people, and most of them give me excellent feedback.
Dealing with post processing and editing image is a visual game, and if a picture is worth a thousand worlds, a video is worth several millions.
Some photography forums even have a specific section called "tutorials", as they understand how important they are.
People often debate for months on a problem they have in threads, but all of a sudden just a single video solve all their problems in an instant.
From my videos I am getting a huge number of followers, in some case friends, I even meet some of them for a beer in London, you are welcome if you live in this great city.
Can you please everybody? Of course not. You will always have people calling you a spammer, while they could just avoid my posts if they are not interested. But they are the same people that call the police every five minutes in real life, simply because they don't have anything else in their life

I do like this forum a lot and I do participate in discussions, but every time I see people discussing about a problem, I can't help but think that a video can solve their problem.
Then there are the ones that don't want to solve a problem, but they prefer to create one out of nothing, just like in real life.
Of course I am not going to deny that I am also interested in promoting my videos, but I believe that this is in the interest of the majority of people in this forum.
Then there are the moaners, but they will moan about everything in their life time, no matter what...

Well said Justin.

TP lives up to its reputation again.............:-(

What reputation is that? As one of the most friendliest, helpful places?

Well done Justin for coming back and explaining/adding detail. This is a discussion forum after all and simply posting up a couple of videos without much explanation or with clickbait doesn't add much to the forum and looks like you are trying to drive traffic to your channel.

There is however much more you could also add in explaining more from behind the scenes such as how do you make your videos and what do you use to record. Is this related to your job or something you have as an interesting hobby.
Whats your thoughts and plans behind your channel? Do you hope to grow subscriptions and generate income from it? If so, whats the point where it starts becoming profitable for the time you put in?
There's plenty of Vloggers now making a living this way. Is this why many of your videos are over 10 minutes, to attract the higher rate for adverts?

Last edited:
What reputation is that? As one of the most friendliest, helpful places?

Well done Justin for coming back and explaining/adding detail. This is a discussion forum after all and simply posting up a couple of videos without much explanation or with clickbait doesn't add much to the forum and looks like you are trying to drive traffic to your channel.

There is however much more you could also add in explaining more from behind the scenes such as how do you make your videos and what do you use to record. Is this related to your job or something you have as an interesting hobby.
Whats your thoughts and plans behind your channel? Do you hope to grow subscriptions and generate income from it? If so, whats the point where it starts becoming profitable for the time you put in?
There's plenty of Vloggers now making a living this way. Is this why many of your videos are over 10 minutes, to attract the higher rate for adverts?
Thank you for the interesting input.
I see now that I should have put my videos more into the context and I should take more active part in this forum.
I have also found a lot of other interesting sections and the general tone is very friendly.
Video and photo for me started as a hobby, but it has slowly become a source of revenue.
I have been selling footage to agencies for a few years.
My YouTube channel is only a couple of months old, but I am having a lot of fun and meeting a lot of interesting people.
It is actually going much faster than my targets. The idea is to eventually, in about a year, trying to get a little stream of revenue to add to my video activity.
In the last year 10 minutes has become the minimum length that YouTube likes, so basically nobody does videos shorter than that. You don't want to have YT against you, for obvious reasons!

Interesting, thanks for coming back to explain more. It's an interesting field of revenue that many haven't considered. When I was shooting content for magazines, we often got asked for videos, behind the scenes or other snippets to put on the websites as additional content. Now it's gone full circle with the videos becoming the income stream. I guess an obvious example in the photography field is Jared Polin, but theres many others in all fields now, from cars to makeup and life skills etc.

I’m a bit surprised by the 10 minute minimum - i had understood 3-4 mins was a good target and the longest most people would keep watching for.

I’m a bit surprised by the 10 minute minimum - i had understood 3-4 mins was a good target and the longest most people would keep watching for.
10mins videos is an old technique.

Just make a good, informative video, it doesn't matter if it's 1min or 20 mins. If people are liking the video, hitting that like, subscribe, share button you'll please youtube.

Look at mango street for example, they've grown massively and videos are sometimes only 2mins long.
0 subscribers to 450k+ in 11 months.

What do you use to record your videos?
I am mostly into time lapses and drone footage.
I use a Panasonic GH4 (I will soon get a GH5) and a DJI Phantom 4 Pro.
For software I use LR, PS, After Effects, LR Timelapse and Premiere Pro.
I am Adobe Certified Expert in Lightroom and Photoshop and I have been doing post processing since the times of Atari ST and Amiga (before the first Mac was released!)

It's about the revenue stream. If your video is over ten minutes long, even if only by a second, you tube gives you the higher rate for the ads, thinking that the longer a viewer is watching a video, the longer they are able to see the ads on the video. This means the advertisers pay more money to YouTube and YouTube passes a slice of that money onto the YouTuber.

Now if you were starting out and was aware of this, then you'd make a lot of your videos 10 minutes long, or longer, with perhaps just a few short stings, so that when your channel takes off and you've got a library of videos you wouldn't need to reshoot to maximise the income.

There's a lot that can be learnt from this if people are prepared to share.

Last edited:
Until one year ago YouTube had uploading limits (like Vimeo now), because they did not have enough bandwidth.
Since then they have invested massively and now they want to make the most of it.
They say very clearly that video below ten minutes will be buried in the search engine.
Content creators have to adapt to this rule, even though it is not always easy.
As an example I have posted in the movie section of this forum a (not so) short movie called Hello Brighton. Timelapses and drone footage with music about the town of Brigthon.
It has been a very good success, although some people complained about it being too long

I am mostly into time lapses and drone footage.
I use a Panasonic GH4 (I will soon get a GH5) and a DJI Phantom 4 Pro.
For software I use LR, PS, After Effects, LR Timelapse and Premiere Pro.
I am Adobe Certified Expert in Lightroom and Photoshop and I have been doing post processing since the times of Atari ST and Amiga (before the first Mac was released!)

For the ACE then I'm assuming this is your profession as the exams are tested though PearsonVue. Did you use the Solution Partner Training Center, do any training, rely on your experience, use something like Testking or a combination of all? Always good to have editing professionals on here for the really silly questions :D

Do you use software to capture your lightroom tutorials, or simply point a camera at the screen?

Presumably only until the admins decide that repeatedly linking to a commercial YouTube channel breaches the rules about commercial content...

For the ACE then I'm assuming this is your profession as the exams are tested though PearsonVue. Did you use the Solution Partner Training Center, do any training, rely on your experience, use something like Testking or a combination of all? Always good to have editing professionals on here for the really silly questions :D

Do you use software to capture your lightroom tutorials, or simply point a camera at the screen?
Yes, the exam was by PearsonVue in London.
I remember I followed specific online course for the exam. Even though I had lot of experience in both software, the exam is very tough and very specific.
For my tutorials I use Movavi screen recorder

How do you rate Movavi? Are you using this because it's free? Looking at your videos it seems capable, would it have any limitations you could think of?
At my last company we used Adobe Captivate for the learning materials but it's an expensive package.

How do you rate Movavi? Are you using this because it's free? Looking at your videos it seems capable, would it have any limitations you could think of?
At my last company we used Adobe Captivate for the learning materials but it's an expensive package.
Movavi is quite good, it is not free, but very affordable. Its main limitation is that is practically impossible to find tutorials for it.
There is a function that I miss: to be able to switch back and forth to a smaller part of the screen (like a side panel in LR). I am not even sure if it can do it, but have not managed to find it.
I might move to Camtasia, although for some reasons on Widows it is much more expensive than on Mac.
I would love Captivate, but it really is incredibly expensive for a screen recorder. I am on the full CC package, but Captivate is not available on CC

10mins videos is an old technique.

Just make a good, informative video, it doesn't matter if it's 1min or 20 mins. If people are liking the video, hitting that like, subscribe, share button you'll please youtube.

Look at mango street for example, they've grown massively and videos are sometimes only 2mins long.
0 subscribers to 450k+ in 11 months.
I perfectly agree about Mango Street: they are incredibly good, I really like them.
And yes, they are the only one left to still do short clips and yes, they are very successful.
They are the exception.
In Italy we say that the exception confirms the rule (I don't know if it also said in English)

In Italy we say that the exception confirms the rule (I don't know if it also said in English)
Really? That's amazing.

The equivalent phrase in English is that "the exception proves the rule". Most people think that "proves" means "confirms", which would make the phrase exactly the same as the Italian one.

However - the English phrase is apparently derived from the medieval Latin phrase "exceptio probat regulam". "Probat" means "prove" in the sense of "test" as in "proving ground". So "the exception proves the rule" means a close look at exceptions helps us determine a rule’s validity. It doesn't confirm it. It tests it.

It's fascinating to think that both modern English and modern Italian use the same phrase, both descended from the same medieval Latin phrase, but both interpreting "probat" in the same, wrong, way.

Really? That's amazing.

The equivalent phrase in English is that "the exception proves the rule". Most people think that "proves" means "confirms", which would make the phrase exactly the same as the Italian one.

However - the English phrase is apparently derived from the medieval Latin phrase "exceptio probat regulam". "Probat" means "prove" in the sense of "test" as in "proving ground". So "the exception proves the rule" means a close look at exceptions helps us determine a rule’s validity. It doesn't confirm it. It tests it.

It's fascinating to think that both modern English and modern Italian use the same phrase, both descended from the same medieval Latin phrase, but both interpreting "probat" in the same, wrong, way.
Very interesting!
Etymology is often fascinating!
So in this case, in English the correct Latin phrase has been kept.
While in Italian it would not be possible to use the verb "provare" (probare in Latin), because over the years povare has assumed several other meanings, so it would have been ambiguous to use it in this situation.
In Italian provare means to test (which would apply perfectly in this case), but also to try and even to rehearse (in music or theater).
Ex: let's try somthing else, in Italian would be "proviamo qualcos'altro"

As long as I get plenty of view from this forum, with a very high average minute per view, which means that people enjoy them, and as long as I get a lot of praise from people for sharing my knowledge, some of them becoming personal friends. (Or until they kick me out of the forum, of course)
This particular video was easier than other to make, but I often spend three full day of work to make a video. If nobody watch my videos I have to stop making them (have you heard about musicians and free downloading music), and the best places to get people to watch videos about Lightroom is guess where?
I'll give you a hint: In forum of people interested in Lightroom.
I see countless of thread of people discussing for weeks a problem with a software, and by watching a video they solve their problem immediately. Photography and video are visual thingies!
I am sorry about ruining your days and giving you nightmares at night because you see a link to a video, but you could just ignore it and click on the countless threads about how to save a couple of cups of coffee a year by moving away from Lightroom subscription. I must admit that myself and many other people find my videos more interesting (de gustibus ne disputandum est).
So, am I ready to stop making videos and get instead a dog to walk out twice a day and clean after him?
No, thank you

Justin, just to be clear, we don't mind you embedding the videos as part of helpful posts in other threads, or occasionally in their own right.

It's simply that in your first 40 or so posts, you bashed a series of half a dozen or more videos out in their own threads. Now, we had multiple reports that you were spamming the forum - you see, we have a rule that is kind of at least being bent by that...

Prohibited content
  • Piracy (of the internet kind), anything naughty or criminal. Market research, surveys etc.
  • Anything that makes you money (or goods) from our community (Referral links etc).
  • Anything else that just isn't nice.

now, you signed up to, and presumably read these rules when you joined. You have said yourself that there is advertising revenue at stake depending on the views you get, so technically, just "post and run" threads with a video and no other conversation or explaination in them pretty much falls foul of that rule. Hence the slightly aggressive nature of some of our members posts on here - remember that some of these people pay hard-earned money to advertise their business on here, and get aggrieved when people come on, flout the rules and make money out of the forum...

So, earlier in the thread I pointed out to you that we'd really prefer if you contributed in ways not solely confined to dropping videos and disappearing. You seem to be joining in, and we're generally not minded to take any action at this time, but please - take this as a serious heads up from the people looking after the running of this forum - keep your participation up in ways not related to the bit that's earning money off the back of everyone on here - or - if you want to advertise your video tutorial business, hit the contact us link and enquire about our very reasonable advertising rates...

Justin, just to be clear, we don't mind you embedding the videos as part of helpful posts in other threads, or occasionally in their own right.

It's simply that in your first 40 or so posts, you bashed a series of half a dozen or more videos out in their own threads. Now, we had multiple reports that you were spamming the forum - you see, we have a rule that is kind of at least being bent by that...

Prohibited content
  • Piracy (of the internet kind), anything naughty or criminal. Market research, surveys etc.
  • Anything that makes you money (or goods) from our community (Referral links etc).

now, you signed up to, and presumably read these rules when you joined. You have said yourself that there is advertising revenue at stake depending on the views you get, so technically, just "post and run" threads with a video and no other conversation or explaination in them pretty much falls foul of that rule. Hence the slightly aggressive nature of some of our members posts on here - remember that some of these people pay hard-earned money to advertise their business on here, and get aggrieved when people come on, flout the rules and make money out of the forum...

So, earlier in the thread I pointed out to you that we'd really prefer if you contributed in ways not solely confined to dropping videos and disappearing. You seem to be joining in, and we're generally not minded to take any action at this time, but please - take this as a serious heads up from the people looking after the running of this forum - keep your participation up in ways not related to the bit that's earning money off the back of everyone on here - or - if you want to advertise your video tutorial business, hit the contact us link and enquire about our very reasonable advertising rates...
I understand this perfectly.
Can I contact you in private message? (Don't know how it works here)

Prohibited content

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Back