The New Old film shot competition #10 - DARK - Discussion

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
As above discussion only in here please.

Interpret the theme in any way you see fit...

Oh, and no inside the lens cap shots... Sorry @Yv ...

Closing date 1st April

Last edited:
Sorry,I am such an idiot.

Re posted in entries.

Last edited:
Oh well I thought your hobby was taking closeups with just a lit candle :confused:..that's sort of darkish ;)

Old Shot Challenge Brian... and pretty much everything I've shot in that field (except the one I entered for shadows) has been done on the digital because, well, frankly unless I eventually go for a 10x8 camera, the weeks of detailed faffing with the composition won't really work for me on film - I shoot most of the still life stuff with the 7D on a tripod, attached to a laptop so I can preview the incredibly dark images on a big screen that's facing me while I tweak, tweak and tweak again the positioning of one or other of the props. After 3-4 days of faffing around getting the positions and lighting "just where I want it" I finally shoot 3-4 frames and go away to process it for another few days. Somehow I can't bring myself to shoot on film only to then spend 3 days trying to stop it looking like film and start looking like oils...

Rob, interesting subject but do you have a closing date in mind?
New old film challenges run for 7 days then 3 days for voting.

I was wondering, sort of by the way, if we should be suspending these challenges soon, to persuade us all to get out shooting more, as the light gets stronger? OTOH there doesn't seem to have been any reduction in participation in the "go out and photograph" challenges... (apart from Suburbia, of course)

It was started to give us something to do during the long dark nights but if the good folk of fabulous & classy want to keep it going over the next few months then why not?

Well, as its purely an archive dipping exercise, there's no reason why it should interfere with shooting time as far as I can see...

Yup, I certainly enjoy it!

For me..... most of my old negs are not scanned on the computer for a quick find on a subject, but no problem if I have a photo to scan erm well I have to sort thru' them and rely on my memory for if they even exist ;).

most of my "real" archive went up in smoke in a tragic "back garden bonfire caused by radio-rental ex-girlfriend / failure to change the locks in time after throwing her out after catching her 'in flagrante delicto' with some random she picked up in the pub" incident. Pretty much everything I had other than the odd envelope of negs i'd left at my parents. All the stuff from the Alps, the Himalayas, Oz, NZ, Canada, loads of stuff in the UK, most of my archive of product stuff and things I worked on in studios (including all the lovely 10x8 slides :arghh:) and every last thing I shot as paying work. Albums Slides and Negatives - along with nearly 200 LP's and pretty much all my decent shirts / suits / full set of lewis leathers and my much loved AGV custom painted crash helmet. I was at work, and only knew she'd let herself back in and decided to have a bonfire when the neighbour phoned me at work to complain that the bonfire she'd lit had melted their polycarb. sheet greenhouse with the heat, and they'd called the fire service out...

Now that is a serious falling out ^^^^

That's terrible...did you get the police involved as she should have been punished for that sort of behavior.

yep - weren't interested - put it down as a "domestic". I just changed the locks, packed all her clothes in 3 bin bags, left them out the front of the house for her to collect, bought the neighbours a new greenhouse and gave 'em £100 towards replacing the plants.

yep - weren't interested - put it down as a "domestic". I just changed the locks, packed all her clothes in 3 bin bags, left them out the front of the house for her to collect, bought the neighbours a new greenhouse and gave 'em £100 towards replacing the plants.

...but nothing to do with the neighbours, maybe you could have persuaded them to involve the police for damage to their property....or just to get your own back help the neighbours to fill in the forms for a small claims court, ok it would cost a small amount of money up front but at least she wouldn't have got away with it and you would get some satisfaction.

Bit late now really. Hindsight and all that. Sometimes best just to be shot of destructive individuals...

...but nothing to do with the neighbours, maybe you could have persuaded them to involve the police for damage to their property....or just to get your own back help the neighbours to fill in the forms for a small claims court, ok it would cost a small amount of money up front but at least she wouldn't have got away with it and you would get some satisfaction.

*positive spin*

Is it not excellent motivation, to destroy old work and move on to bigger and better girlfr..........things

can't rest on charred laurels.....an all that

:D

WoOt !! I'm in, about time I was on time.

Well I've only looked at a few as IMO it's best to see them all at once when it closes then it's easier to see the ones that stand out.

Has this whole new/old film idea withered and died with the arrival of spring? I know that the entries were supposed to finish on the 1st but I haven't seen anything happening on that thread for a while.

Has this whole new/old film idea withered and died with the arrival of spring? I know that the entries were supposed to finish on the 1st but I haven't seen anything happening on that thread for a while.
It's due to @robhooley167 being a complete and utter lazy arse, he probably hasn't even bothered getting out of bed in April he's that lazy.

April? most of March as well... bluddy stoodents, livin' off my hard earned taxes.....:rage: :D

Shurrup, I've been busy spending tax payers money on expensive things and like stuff... Innit...

Competition closed, voting thread going up shortly.

Maybe...

Back