The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

Yes it is a niche market but it's a pretty valid reason to not buy a system that currently covers up to 300mm.

Sony does have the 100-400mm G Master lens which is currently their longest zoom, its also compatible with TC's.
the 400mm will be out this summer.
Give them time folks... Sony are doing their best to meet peoples needs......

I think the main thing to take away is that the Sony full-frame system doesn't meet the needs for people who need longer lenses than 400mm at present :D no big deal as these will be coming in good time.

Or anything fast over 200mm.

Of course. If you are part of that niche. Don't get Sony. All I'm saying is majority don't shoot big Tele lenses. They don't fly off the shelf
I agree that's why Sony has left the Pro Body / Long Tele-photo lenses for last.... they have done it the right way.... bring out the lower end lenses first and then hit the pro market once their body was up to the job and close to a big sporting event :D

:D very true but come'on, they have only done 4 years worth of full-frame mirrorless production..... faster and longer lenses will come.
Look at Fuji, it takes time.

:D very true but come'on, they have only done 4 years worth of full-frame mirrorless production..... faster and longer lenses will come.
Look at Fuji, it takes time.

Your tune has changed.

Nobody is saying it's crap, it just won't suit certain people and obviously over time that will change but saying nobody using anything over 200mm is ridiculous. I dont even shoot at long FL and realise how daft it is to say that.

Last edited:
Of course. If you are part of that niche. Don't get Sony. All I'm saying is majority don't shoot big Tele lenses. They don't fly off the shelf

That was the point of their post though wasn't it? They wouldn't buy into the Sony system now because they can't get the lenses that they currently need for their type of photography. My point was that it's just a fact, not a dig at Sony. I agree that CaNikon have been working with niche markets for 30 years so they've obviously got a massive head start over Sony but there's no need to get so defensive about it :0)

A 300mm f2.8 is not exactly a bargain for most folks.

tHis is why i keep on banging on how 200mm+ shooting is a niche market as glasses above that cost an arm, leg and kidney and only used for specific purposes like pro sport and wildlife.

My overal point is a 70-200 f2,8 flie soff the shelf more so then a 400mm f2.8 .

More people shoot 200mm < for cost and type of photography.

Sports is not a genre thats easy to get into and is bloody expensive.

Some people get by with just a 100-400 slow lens or sigma equivalent.

Thats life.

not everyone can afford a 400mm f2.8 or even have the muscle to carry that all day long.

Sony does have the 100-400mm G Master lens which is currently their longest zoom, its also compatible with TC's.
the 400mm will be out this summer.
Give them time folks... Sony are doing their best to meet peoples needs......

That's the Sony lens that's £700 more than the Canon equivalent? I realise that the price may come down slightly after release but that's a huge premium considering Sony are trying to drag people away from their established CaNikon kit.

That was the point of their post though wasn't it? They wouldn't buy into the Sony system now because they can't get the lenses that they currently need for their type of photography. My point was that it's just a fact, not a dig at Sony. I agree that CaNikon have been working with niche markets for 30 years so they've obviously got a massive head start over Sony but there's no need to get so defensive about it :0)
thats why i call it a niche market. Not many shoot and need 400mm f2.8

You watch, when that sony 400mm f2.8 comes out it wont fly off the shelf as not many photographers need such a beast of a lens.

its a Niche lens.

And it will come out soon. patience.

That's the Sony lens that's £700 more than the Canon equivalent? I realise that the price may come down slightly after release but that's a huge premium considering Sony are trying to drag people away from their established CaNikon kit.
Yea its why i have not bothered getting any g master lenses yet. too expenisve compared to canon. i got my 70-200 f2.8 mk2 lens for 1.6k btw brand new.

thank you all who voted to leave the eu....

Your tune has changed.

Nobody is saying it's crap, it just won't suit certain people and obviously over time that will change but saying nobody using anything over 200mm is ridiculous. I dont even shoot at long FL and realise how daft it is to say that.
I agree that the system isnt for everybody but then there is plenty of choice out there, generally speaking, the 70-200mm zooms are the bread and butter for most wedding photographers so I understand both sides of this argument.

Yea its why i have not bothered getting any g master lenses yet. too expenisve compared to canon. i got my 70-200 f2.8 mk2 lens for 1.6k btw brand new.

thank you all who voted to leave the eu....

If the Sony lenses are expensive because of currency fluctuation, why aren't Canon? Surely it's more down to the fact that Sony are adding a premium to the price of their kit?

Sony = Expensive. :D

thats why i call it a niche market. Not many shoot and need 400mm f2.8

You watch, when that sony 400mm f2.8 comes out it wont fly off the shelf as not many photographers need such a beast of a lens.

its a Niche lens.

And it will come out soon. patience.

I agree that Sony will eventually release longer fast primes otherwise there'd be no point aiming the A9 at the sports market. Personally, I don't shoot long so I'm not holding out for them. Then again, Sony have really got the 50mm market covered with 438 different available lenses ;0)

A 300mm f2.8 is not exactly a bargain for most folks.

tHis is why i keep on banging on how 200mm+ shooting is a niche market as glasses above that cost an arm, leg and kidney and only used for specific purposes like pro sport and wildlife.

My overal point is a 70-200 f2,8 flie soff the shelf more so then a 400mm f2.8 .

More people shoot 200mm < for cost and type of photography.

Sports is not a genre thats easy to get into and is bloody expensive.

Some people get by with just a 100-400 slow lens or sigma equivalent.

Thats life.

not everyone can afford a 400mm f2.8 or even have the muscle to carry that all day long.

Neither is a 4.5k camera. Or a 2.5k 70200. A 300mm f4 is like 1k, the 2.8 is 4k. Then theres the used market. There are plenty of people buying them or there would be no market, do you think a manufacturer makes them for fun.

If the Sony lenses are expensive because of currency fluctuation, why aren't Canon? Surely it's more down to the fact that Sony are adding a premium to the price of their kit?
The canon are expensive.

i got my 70-200 before brexit, 1.6k, its now 1.8k brand new

Neither is a 4.5k camera. Or a 2.5k 70200. A 300mm f4 is like 1k, the 2.8 is 4k. Then theres the used market. There are plenty of people buying them or there would be no market, do you think a manufacturer makes them for fun.
how much is a 400mm f2.8? last i saw theyw as going near 10k for the canon

You're their dream market! Happy to pay a considerable premium for their kit so that they can make more profits off you. Hats of to you Riz, at least you're honest :)
You have to be realistic and honest, Sony aren't cheap but then neither are Apple either, if you want the latest and greatest be prepared to pay, otherwise there are other options out there for less.
It comes down to individual choice and for the record I don't pay full RRP prices because I am their dream customer lol ..... fully approved by the Sony rep! :D

...Even if the ageing Sony 500 F4 would fit would we want to spend £10,200 on a 20year old lens? .

The 500 f/4 was released in 2012, and was a new design at the time

You may be getting confused with the 500 f/8 reflex, which was a rebadged copy of the Minolta 500 f/8 reflex, which came out ~1989.

A9 for pro work. A7R2 for everything else. Or both if you just won the lottery..

I reckon a lot of photographers could struggle by and deliver 'pro' work with a lowly A7Rii Jonney. Not everyone buys into the marketing. Of course, if those pro's are sports photographers it may be harder, but then again, they'd also need lenses for their A9 :0)

I reckon a lot of photographers could struggle by and deliver 'pro' work with a lowly A7Rii Jonney. Not everyone buys into the marketing. Of course, if those pro's are sports photographers it may be harder, but then again, they'd also need lenses for their A9 :0)
Dual card slots is a must for pro work. So they say anyway...

Dual card slots is a must for pro work. So they say anyway...

The list is endless and it depends on the end user really.
Some say two bodies is a must, if that's the case why not carry two copies of each lens too etc lol :D
The A7RII is no slough and still a remarkable high resolution camera.

Last edited:
Back