The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

That's not how dual car slots work, it's about card failing, not just bodies failing.

Ideally you need 2 x A9.

Errr you have 2 slots either way. My comparison is that with 1 a9 money you get exactly what I said... 2 a7rii which is 2 of every part that could break on the a9.

If the card fails it's still the same scenario.

Last edited:
Errr you have 2 slots either way. My comparison is that with 1 a9 money you get exactly what I said... 2 a7rii which is 2 of every part that could break on the a9.

Yes but lenses could break, straps could break and so on.
It's all about calculating risk and ensuring your comfortable with that with relevant insurance in place if something went wrong and you got sued.

I know a professional photographer who uses a single A7II, Batis 85mm, Zeiss 55mm and a Sony 16-35mm and has been doing so for a couple of years.

Yes but lenses could break, straps could break and so on.
It's all about calculating risk and ensuring your comfortable with that with relevant insurance in place if something went wrong and you got sued.

I know a professional photographer who uses a single A7II, Batis 85mm, Zeiss 55mm and a Sony 16-35mm and has been doing so for a couple of years.

How did you get that from what I said?

It's simple, taking nothing else into account as per Jonneys post (besides cost). sample a 1 camera 2 slots, sample b 2 cameras 1 slot each, so children, how many slots does each sample have?

And yes straps could break, parts could fail.... if a camera is going to break and you use sample a and b again what does that mean?

Last edited:

If the card fails it's still the same scenario.

If you have 2 bodies, 1 card slots in each...the danger is if the card is corrupt, you lose the entire card and ALL the photos you have taken on it. You could have a million other A7Rii and could not fix that problem.

2 card slots protects from card problems
2 bodies protects from body problems

That's why professionals have multiple bodies all with dual card slots.

Last edited:
If you have 2 bodies, 1 card slots in each...the danger is if the card is corrupt, you lose the entire card and ALL the photos you have taken on it. You could have a million other A7Rii and could not fix that problem.

2 card slots protects from card problems
2 bodies protects from body problems

That's why professionals wants dual card slots.

How are 2 slots going to prevent a card from dying vs a single slot? If the card dies it dies. I know the answer but I'm waiting for you to specify the info you haven't provided.

Last edited:
If all things were equal, but one is a slower high resolution body and the other is more for speed.

Yes you could run two bodies with one slot on each but that doesn't protect you against SD card failure, I'd rather have a single body running two SD cards with one containing a backup of the image Vs. two bodies with a single card each.

How exactly are 2 slots going to prevent a card from dying vs a single slot camera? If the card dies it dies.

If one SD card died you'd still have the other containing all the photos.
It's simple 1+1 lol ;) redundancy

Has anyone had a card fail?
If so was it not recoverable?
Apparently it happens to the northrups all the time..Therefore pros must have two card slots.

Apparently it happens to the northrups all the time..Therefore pros must have two card slots.

Happened once, on holiday, lost that 4G card. I remember I even tweeted Sandisk about it.

Once is enough for me to learn I never want that happen at a job, touch wood it hasn't yet.

Never had a body nor a SD card fail on me, neither has my friend who's been shooting weddings with a Sony A7II with single SD card slot.

How are 2 slots going to prevent a card from dying vs a single slot? If the card dies it dies. I know the answer but I'm waiting for you to specify the info you haven't provided.

Not sure if you are serious?

A card in slot one dies has no link to the card in slot 2. Unless your camera has the tendency to kill both cards at once, then that is a camera problem, not a card problem.

With mirrorless I'd be more worried about the body freezing up. Granted I'd feel more at ease with 2 slots in each body

Last edited:
Happened once, on holiday, lost that 4G card. I remember I even tweeted Sandisk about it.

Once is enough for me to learn I never want that happen at a job, touch wood it hasn't yet.

I'm guessing being a 4g card it was some time ago?
Don't sandisk provide software to recover the data now though?

He only need to learn once the hard way.

Then it's too late.

Yes but it's the risk he's taking, everybody has different demands and tolerances on what risks they would take.
Personally I'd have at least something which could take photos if the main body died.
Saying that I would seriously be annoyed if a Sony A9 body failed during a professional shoot :D lol

Yes but it's the risk he's taking, everybody has different demands and tolerances on what risks they would take.
Personally I'd have at least something which could take photos if the main body died.
Saying that I would seriously be annoyed if a Sony A9 body failed during a professional shoot :D lol

Like overheat you mean? :popcorn:

My point is that you don't have to have dual slots to be a 'pro', you have to charge people to deliver photographs. I've delivered colour slides from a Mamiya M645 which suggests I'm a 'pro', not the fact I can manage a card failure, that's just planning ahead.

However, companies like Sony perpetuate the idea that if you want to be a 'pro', their crippled FF mirrorless bodies simply won't do and you have to drop £4.5k on the A9 instead.

As an alternative viewpoint, shouldn't a pro camera be weather sealed? Surely if your non-weathersealed camera gets wet and dies on the side of the football pitch, or shooting a wedding in an unexpected rainstorm, dual card slots aren't going to make the slightest difference?

Not sure if you are serious?

A card in slot one dies has no link to the card in slot 2. Unless your camera has the tendency to kill both cards at once, then that is a camera problem, not a card problem.

I was talking number of slots. 1 camera 2 slots, 2 cameras 1 slot each. Either case you have 2 slots from a purely HW point of view. I know 2 slots are better, the info you never provided is that card 2 must be set to backup. :D

My point is that you don't have to have dual slots to be a 'pro', you have to charge people to deliver photographs. I've delivered colour slides from a Mamiya M645 which suggests I'm a 'pro', not the fact I can manage a card failure, that's just planning ahead.

However, companies like Sony perpetuate the idea that if you want to be a 'pro', their crippled FF mirrorless bodies simply won't do and you have to drop £4.5k on the A9 instead.

As an alternative viewpoint, shouldn't a pro camera be weather sealed? Surely if your non-weathersealed camera gets wet and dies on the side of the football pitch, or shooting a wedding in an unexpected rainstorm, dual card slots aren't going to make the slightest difference?

It's just marketing, you can easily shoot with a A7II for professional work as proven by a friend of mine.
You don't need the A7RII or A9 to be a professional.
Being professional means that your main source of income comes from your photography work.

Anyway back on topic,
The Sony A9 is the dogs goolies :D when compared to the Cakon 1DX and Brickon D5. ;)

It's just marketing, you can easily shoot with a A7II for professional work as proven by a friend of mine.
You don't need the A7RII or A9 to be a professional.
Being professional means that your main source of income comes from your photography work.

Yes, that's exactly what I said in response to Jonney's suggestion that you need an A9 to be a pro :0)

Yes, that's exactly what I said in response to Jonney's suggestion that you need an A9 to be a pro :0)

Oh :D
Maybe he meant in Sony's eyes you need a A9 to be a Pro, Sony marketing is clever :D

Or if you're clever and you have 2 cameras you also have 2 slots c'mon catchup
OK, so you are taking pics with one camera, and the card fails. How does the card in the other camera help in any way? :thinking:

If a camera is set to write to both cards at the same time, and one card fails, odds are that the other card will have intact images.

Many years ago, when memory cards were more expensive, I bought 7DayShop CF cards which sadly had a tendency to corrupt the odd image in a high speed burst on a Nikon D70. They were not recoverable. :( I stopped using those cards and when to Sandisk with thankfully no problems from then on.

Last week I had a Kingston SD card in a RX100III say that it suddenly couldn't review the images and videos on the card in camera. The images were still readable in a computer, and if I took new pictures I could see them in the camera, but I'm hoping it is an anomaly because of the heat, but time will tell. Obviously no space in a RX100III for dual cards. ;) :rolleyes:

OK, so you are taking pics with one camera, and the card fails. How does the card in the other camera help in any way? :thinking:

If a camera is set to write to both cards at the same time, and one card fails, odds are that the other card will have intact images.

Many years ago, when memory cards were more expensive, I bought 7DayShop CF cards which sadly had a tendency to corrupt the odd image in a high speed burst on a Nikon D70. They were not recoverable. :( I stopped using those cards and when to Sandisk with thankfully no problems from then on.

Last week I had a Kingston SD card in a RX100III say that it suddenly couldn't review the images and videos on the card in camera. The images were still readable in a computer, and if I took new pictures I could see them in the camera, but I'm hoping it is an anomaly because of the heat, but time will tell. Obviously no space in a RX100III for dual cards. ;) :rolleyes:

Please read all my posts. I added the missing info as to when 2 slots are better than 1 in my last post which you never quoted but thanks anyway.

Last edited:
I've only used Sandisk branded SD cards and have never had any fail, I've owned quite a few of these.

I was talking number of slots. 1 camera 2 slots, 2 cameras 1 slot each. Either case you have 2 slots from a purely HW point of view. I know 2 slots are better, the info you never provided is that card 2 must be set to backup. :D

I thought that is VERY obvious........that is the reason why pros want 2 slots? It's not about having more capacity...

I've only used Sandisk branded SD cards and have never had any fail, I've owned quite a few of these.

I guess I'm just wondering if it is a genuine risk with modern cards. Are we wasting space by shooting redundant.

Ha ha. I thought Fuji was the best?

Best of APS-C I'd say but lacks the full-frame advantages which I found out the hard way.
Many pro's use the Fuji XT-2 and also Sony bodies, some of which have moved from DSLR's.

I guess I'm just wondering if it is a genuine risk with modern cards. Are we wasting space by shooting redundant.

For the price of a second SD card I'd always use two cards, one being a backup.

If a card fails and you have a backup, you hopefully have a working card with copies of the images. :) If a card doesn't fail, you just re-format both cards to start again. No need for the images on the 2nd card to ever leave the camera. Like I said earlier, I had a Kingston card which is only a couple of months old go 'funny' last week. Hopefully a one off. :cautious:

Back