The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

How are 2 slots going to prevent a card from dying vs a single slot? If the card dies it dies. I know the answer but I'm waiting for you to specify the info you haven't provided.
U copy backup on the other slot. How can you copy backup on another camera lol. Ray knows his s*** and does pro wedding work

U copy backup on the other slot. How can you copy backup on another camera lol. Ray knows his s*** and does pro wedding work

No s*** genius I already said that before you woke up and chipped in. I've been using 2 slots with different functions for years.

My point is that you don't have to have dual slots to be a 'pro', you have to charge people to deliver photographs. I've delivered colour slides from a Mamiya M645 which suggests I'm a 'pro', not the fact I can manage a card failure, that's just planning ahead.

However, companies like Sony perpetuate the idea that if you want to be a 'pro', their crippled FF mirrorless bodies simply won't do and you have to drop £4.5k on the A9 instead.

As an alternative viewpoint, shouldn't a pro camera be weather sealed? Surely if your non-weathersealed camera gets wet and dies on the side of the football pitch, or shooting a wedding in an unexpected rainstorm, dual card slots aren't going to make the slightest difference?
Mate talk to the canikon fanboys. They preach on dual card slots and have laughed off Sony about not having it.

Mate talk to the canikon fanboys. They preach on dual card slots and have laughed off Sony about not having it.

I'm preaching to you :0) You were the one that started this by saying that if someone wants to shoot 'pro', they need an A9. The reason you gave was dual slots.

Back to weather-sealing, what are you going to do if you need to shoot pro in the rain?

I'm preaching to you :0) You were the one that started this by saying that if someone wants to shoot 'pro', they need an A9. The reason you gave was dual slots.

Back to weather-sealing, what are you going to do if you need to shoot pro in the rain?

Use his Tesco bag that he sharpied pro onto.

I think your right that it isn't for everyone, personally I think that (A9 aside) the system is best suited for landscape photography, small size and weight, a sensor that outresolves almost anything else available (42mp) and for landscape I can't see any lenses that are really missing now along with the "slower" paced nature of landscape meaning that adapting and manual focus is usually a perfectly adequate option.

There is definitely no doubt that for most landscapers the Sony A 7R 2 etc cameras and lenses are some of the best going. They are, yet, to be useful for the bulk of photographers - well at least the ones that I know. For now the system just has too many gaps for my liking.

I've never had a weather seaed body. I've taken pictures in all weathers, heat, cold, rain, sleet and snow, sea spray, the lot. I've taken pictures on Saltburn beach in wind I could hardly stand up in, in the hills in snow with ice on my camera, stood in a river in Kazakhstan and in the heat and humidity of Thailand. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky but with only common sense I've never had a camera die on me and personally I think that for many people the issue is overrated.

Well, in my little circle of those who have cameras there's only one Canikon, the rest are all mirrorless :D

If you think the Sony isn't for serious use you should check out the various reviews and articles at luminous Landscape and look at some of the pictures and prints they've made.

I've never been happier :D

Sorry was there anywhere on this or any other forum that I suggested or implied that "Sony isn't for serious use"? If so please advise me where and when. My problem with the Sony Mirrorless FF cameras is that they are of limited use/adaptability - serious or otherwise.

Perhaps I am not wording my posts very well? Quite possible, but you do seem to misinterpret what I am saying quite often. Agree or disagree with me by all means (we are here to learn - well I am) but please do not state that I am claiming things that I haven't posted.

I've never had a weather seaed body. I've taken pictures in all weathers, heat, cold, rain, sleet and snow, sea spray, the lot. I've taken pictures on Saltburn beach in wind I could hardly stand up in, in the hills in snow with ice on my camera, stood in a river in Kazakhstan and in the heat and humidity of Thailand. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky but with only common sense I've never had a camera die on me and personally I think that for many people the issue is overrated.

I'd agree but was making a point about the focus put on the dual card slots yet the 'pro' option from Sony isn't event weather sealed.

Sorry was there anywhere on this or any other forum that I suggested or implied that "Sony isn't for serious use"? If so please advise me where and when. My problem with the Sony Mirrorless FF cameras is that they are of limited use/adaptability - serious or otherwise.

Perhaps I am not wording my posts very well? Quite possible, but you do seem to misinterpret what I am saying quite often. Agree or disagree with me by all means (we are here to learn - well I am) but please do not state that I am claiming things that I haven't posted.
I think your saying Sony don't offer the super Tele lenses

So unlike him. :angelic:

It's almost as if being the first to 'prove' a fault (at 200% zoom when photographing a rolling advertising board going by the quick look through I've just done) is just a way to get views...

You should watch it, there's pretty severe banding all over the subjects.

It's almost as if being the first to 'prove' a fault (at 200% zoom when photographing a rolling advertising board going by the quick look through I've just done) is just a way to get views...

Well, you can't say he is lying. The guy did experience it, the problem is that his 2% of shots out of like 1% if that, of all bodies out there will blow up like it is on all A9.

The same applies to you. You like mirrorless cameras because they suit you and you seem to have trouble seeing past the fact that mirrorless cameras have their limitations including the A9.

Not at all and if you'd read my posts, and I know you can't read them all, you'd see me recognising the needs of others and posting about them many times.

I only use a fraction of the abilities of my cameras as I'm a aperture or manual mode kind of guy who sticks to changing the aperture, shutter speed and ISO. That's about it for me. I never use eye detect, tracking or any of the other bells and whistles and lens wise I stick mostly to primes in the 24 to 135mm range or zooms in the 24-70mm sort of range. I tend not to use any of the advanced functions really but I recognise that they're useful to others and I think it's a shame that others can't see past their own narrow wants and needs and insist on calling cameras that don't meet their narrow view toys, useless etc.

I think you've been pretty clear here John and I suggest you go back and read your own posts. As to me misinterpreting you quite often, sorry to burst your bubble but I don't remember replying to your posts in other threads, maybe I did, maybe I've forgotten, but my comprehension skills are rather good and I don't think I've misinterprited you I do however now comprehend that I'm wasting my time here as we're just going round in circles.

Last edited:
The 500 f/4 was released in 2012, and was a new design at the time

You may be getting confused with the 500 f/8 reflex, which was a rebadged copy of the Minolta 500 f/8 reflex, which came out ~1989.

No confusion with the reflex lens - I haven't used one since I was 17 and it was a 300mm.

The only time I have had a, chance to use one of these was when a fellow TOG was trying one out at a local wildlife reserve. He was a Sony user at the time and told me that it was a re branded Minolta with some updates - so I just took his word for it! After all he was looking to spend silly money on it so I assumed he had done some research - I can't be certain as this was a while back - pre November 2013 when I sold my 600 F4. Perhaps he was getting confused with their 600mm F4?

Either way it didn't stack well compared to my, cheaper, Canon 600 F4 L IS - now an 18 year old design. I may well be wrong about the old design comment (this was what I was told) but an ageing 5 yr old design is even more concerning. Either way after giving the Sony 300 F2.8 and 500 F4 a good go out in the field he is now happy - he switched to Nikon. The Sony lenses were just too expensive and with mediocre AF (could have been the camera?) just not in the running.

I think your saying Sony don't offer the super Tele lenses

In part yes. They also don't offer an FF mirrorless that is robust enough to use them, dubious about their TSE/PC lens range etc. There are lots of things that they do not do that matter naught to some people but are critical to others - hence a limited system.

I wouldn't suggest that the Sony system is not good/very good but it is very limited for many users - just something to be aware of before purchasing or suggesting that others do. Just my 2p!

You should watch it, there's pretty severe banding all over the subjects.

That guy does my head in! He's already answered his own question in the video about why he didn't see any evidence of banding on the CaNikon shots, probably because they don't have an electronic shutter but he shot all of the images on the Sony with one.

It's also not the most conclusive of videos seeing as he couldn't even remember if there were any stadium lights on (if they were, it wouldn't be the first time that an electronic shutter has fallen foul of LED/sodium lighting). Also, as per his decision to not count them as failed shots, the advertising boards are showing banding due to the refresh rate of them and I'm guessing that those where the players showed faint banding were caused by the players standing close enough, or the 'right' angle, from the advertising boards.

Last edited:
In part yes. They also don't offer an FF mirrorless that is robust enough to use them, dubious about their TSE/PC lens range etc. There are lots of things that they do not do that matter naught to some people but are critical to others - hence a limited system.

I wouldn't suggest that the Sony system is not good/very good but it is very limited for many users - just something to be aware of before purchasing or suggesting that others do. Just my 2p!
it iis quite robust.

Dont let the size fool you. It can take rain!

That guy does my head in! He's already answered his own question in the video about why he didn't see any evidence of banding on the CaNikon shots, probably because the don't have an electronic shutter but he shot all of the images on the Sony with one.

It's also not the most conclusive videos seeing as he couldn't even remember if there were any stadium lights on (if they were, it wouldn't be the first time that an electronic shutter has fallen foul of LED/sodium lighting). Also, as per his decision to not count them as failed shots, the advertising boards are showing banding due to the refresh rate of them and I'm guessing that those where the players showed faint banding were caused by the players standing close enough, or the 'right' angle, from the advertising boards.
i think my 5d4 shows banding in similar LED ad Boards. let me check some of my old football pics later on my 5d3

I think you've been pretty clear here John and I suggest you go back and read your own posts. As to me misinterpreting you quite often, sorry to burst your bubble but I don't remember replying to your posts in other threads, maybe I did, maybe I've forgotten, but my comprehension skills are rather good and I don't think I've misinterprited you I do however now comprehend that I'm wasting my time here as we're just going round in circles.

Err where did I suggest that you misinterpreted my post on other threads? My comment was "Sorry was there anywhere on this or any other forum that I suggested or implied that "Sony isn't for serious use"? If so please advise me where and when." Where is the implication that you misconstrued/misinterpreted my posts on other forums? I don't see how clearly suggesting that I have never suggested that Sony is not for serious use here, or anywhere else, is confusing you? Again perhaps my wording is not the very best but it looks pretty clear to me and others here don't seem to have a problem.

Perhaps my course is not the straightest (I do change my opinions/views as I learn experience more) but circles?!? If you cast nasturtiums on my posts isn't it appropriate and polite to rely?

In the past people, myself included, pretty much ruled Sony out for difficult moving stuff. Wildlife, aviation and sports. Poor AF and lack of reach with native lenses. (Although arguably with the a7r2 you have more reach with shorter focal lengths than certain dslrs with mo get ones)

They were always considered landscape weapons and a lot of people had a 2 brand set up. Dslr for moving, Sony a7 for still - low weight and stunning iq.

Now, the a7rii started making inroads AF wise and wedding photographers and portrait photographers were using them to great effect. The hints were that a mirror less system can actually provide more accurate af.

With the a9 it appears so Sony have made an action camera to better 1dxii and d5. Now we have great af, fast frame rate but still a lack of reach. Expect sports photographers who work within 200mm to love this camera. @johnf3f it will be the niche you are in, wildlife/birds along with other specific long lens work that will still rightly stick with dslr. I'd suggest that if Sony sigma or zeiss produce some decent Long lenses that a Sony alpha would be good for you, the lack of weight over a dslr is great and if the lens isn't mounted to the tripod then there is no strain on the camera lens mount.

I miss my canons at times but for every frustration my a7ii's cause me all is forgiven when I look at the images at 100%.

it iis quite robust.

Dont let the size fool you. It can take rain!

I wasn't thinking of rain I was thinking of lifting and handling big lenses - say 3 kilos +.

I don't worry about my cameras in the rain I worry about me!

In the past people, myself included, pretty much ruled Sony out for difficult moving stuff. Wildlife, aviation and sports. Poor AF and lack of reach with native lenses. (Although arguably with the a7r2 you have more reach with shorter focal lengths than certain dslrs with mo get ones)

They were always considered landscape weapons and a lot of people had a 2 brand set up. Dslr for moving, Sony a7 for still - low weight and stunning iq.

Now, the a7rii started making inroads AF wise and wedding photographers and portrait photographers were using them to great effect. The hints were that a mirror less system can actually provide more accurate af.

With the a9 it appears so Sony have made an action camera to better 1dxii and d5. Now we have great af, fast frame rate but still a lack of reach. Expect sports photographers who work within 200mm to love this camera. @johnf3f it will be the niche you are in, wildlife/birds along with other specific long lens work that will still rightly stick with dslr. I'd suggest that if Sony sigma or zeiss produce some decent Long lenses that a Sony alpha would be good for you, the lack of weight over a dslr is great and if the lens isn't mounted to the tripod then there is no strain on the camera lens mount.

I miss my canons at times but for every frustration my a7ii's cause me all is forgiven when I look at the images at 100%.

Interesting thoughts and experiences. I think the Sony A7 series are great (Best?) for some uses but not for others. However it is always better to hear from someone who uses a system and appreciates it's strengths and weakneses.

Thanks for your informative post.

I wasn't thinking of rain I was thinking of lifting and handling big lenses - say 3 kilos +.

I don't worry about my cameras in the rain I worry about me!
You can fit a battery grip if you really want same size as a dslr to hold your large lenses

You can fit a battery grip if you really want same size as a dslr to hold your large lenses

Correct, you have to remember that both the Nikon D5 and Canon 1DX have build in battery grips.
With the Sony A9 it gives the users options to go small or large.
The A7/A9 series paired with the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 or 55mm 1.8 is a very small combination in both size and weight that is imo better than the Nikon and Canon rivals.

Back