The New Top Gear

Whatever happens, Amazon are not obliged to reveal their viewing figures as its not a public concern unlike the BBC.

Whichever way it goes Clarkson et al are quids in !

Oh I wasn't talking about viewing figures.
Couldn't give a hoot about those.
Having looked at how they calculated, can't see how they're particularly accurate either!

This is getting better and better!
It was good to see the journalists featuring in this weeks show (Rory Reid and Chris Harris) They are way more enthusiastic that the 3 cocks!
The Evans & LeBlanc relationship is growing too.
Sabine Schmit is a nutter!
I think I prefer it to the old one!

Last edited:
£5 million over three years.

It's fair to say he's not worth it.

Very true, but he's laughing because, stay or go, he'll receive the lot.

Oh I wasn't talking about viewing figures.
Couldn't give a hoot about those.
Having looked at how they calculated, can't see how they're particularly accurate either!

They're pretty representative (albeit never 100% accurate as live is a mean figure, though digital is an actual figure), and relative against each show for the time slot.

Very true, but he's laughing because, stay or go, he'll receive the lot.

Maybe not, if he doesn't appear in the next series. If it's re commissioned at all. Given how far viewing has dipped they can't pay for another series given its huge budget (and it is huge, £650k per episode with CE failing to deliver the final 2 episodes!), unless it goes back up dramatically, which is why I think they're already scaling back CE's involvement, presenting wise at least. It seems the BBC are listening to criticism, CE's screen time has been reduced from 49 mins in ep1 to 29 mins in ep3 and it was definitely better for it.

Actually I corrected my post above, CE is paid £3 million for TG, the other £2 mil is for his R2 show. Worth every penny [emoji107]

Last edited:
They're pretty representative (albeit never 100% accurate as live is a mean figure, though digital is an actual figure), and relative against each show for the time slot.

Live viewing numbers isn't a mean figure, it's extrapolation since the Broadcaster’s Audience Research Board only monitors 5,100 homes across the UK, so recording the viewing habits of around 11,5k people.
They can give it all kinds of waffle,....it's a guestimate. :)

Maybe not, if he doesn't appear in the next series. If it's re commissioned at all. Given how far viewing has dipped they can't pay for another series given its huge budget (and it is huge, £650k per episode with CE failing to deliver the final 2 episodes!), unless it goes back up dramatically, which is why I think they're already scaling back CE's involvement, presenting wise at least. It seems the BBC are listening to criticism, CE's screen time has been reduced from 49 mins in ep1 to 29 mins in ep3 and it was definitely better for it.

Actually I corrected my post above, CE is paid £3 million for TG, the other £2 mil is for his R2 show. Worth every penny [emoji107]

He's a canny lad, I bet it's a pretty intricate contract, with exit clauses in his favour :)

Live viewing numbers isn't a mean figure, it's extrapolation since the Broadcaster’s Audience Research Board only monitors 5,100 homes across the UK, so recording the viewing habits of around 11,5k people.

He's a canny lad, I bet it's a pretty intricate contract, with exit clauses in his favour :)

That's what I mean by mean figure :)

Most probably!

Has there been any celebrity guests yet? They were always the best part of the show.
Just shows we all like different things. I always skipped that part and it was the main reason not to watch it live. It was bad, it's worse now.

Does Chris Evans ever changes his clothes?

Viewing figures were the lowest yet.

I'm not surprised, and not my fault. I did watch it. Quite like that Tesla X :)

I watched it on iplayer, still in hope. Thought it was pretty bad again, just a bad copy of what's been done better before.

The film with the Vulcan was ok but that was down to the car and Chris Harris, but pretty much a carbon copy of the Porsche 918 film Hammond made a couple of years ago, right down to the circuit, night time filming and exhaust flame shots.

The 'race' against the train had been done by the old guard, and Clarkson et al did it far, far better. Who's idea was the cooking?? And the Honda Gullwing??? Terrible but most disappointingly very boring indeed. Fast forwarded.

All the studio segments featuring CE was unwatchable and objectionable, I just can't stop looking at his tucked in jeans / boots - grow up (fast forwarded).

Tesla film was ok.

Can't remember what else was on it. But most importantly the chemistry has gone. Let's face it, Clarkson, Hammond and May were real life mates. This lot have just been jumbled together and told to get on with it. It's not as fun.

Just watched a 2004 episode on Dave and that was far better.

Last edited:
Honda Goldwing not gullwing :)

The less Evans there is in it each show the better it will become. I do wish he'd wear some decent jeans not the filthy ones he keeps putting on. Looks like a tramp.

Honda Goldwing not gullwing :)

The less Evans there is in it each show the better it will become. I do wish he'd wear some decent jeans not the filthy ones he keeps putting on. Looks like a tramp.

Yes, I think I must have been an autocorrect victim :). A Honda Gullwing would be interesting!

Let's face it, Clarkson, Hammond and May were real life mates. This lot have just been jumbled together and told to get on with it.

No they were not real life mates, they became real life mates.
They knew nothing of each other before they were 'jumbled together' for Top Gear, just as Evans, LeBlanc, Harris, Reid, Schmitz and Jordan have been.
They spent over 10 years together presenting Top Gear, the new presenters have had just 4 episodes.

You still don't like it, why bother watching it?

No they were not real life mates, they became real life mates.
They knew nothing of each other before they were 'jumbled together' for Top Gear, just as Evans, LeBlanc, Harris, Reid, Schmitz and Jordan have been.
They spent over 10 years together presenting Top Gear, the new presenters have had just 4 episodes.

You still don't like it, why bother watching it?

I said they were mates, not they started as mates. I will add, Clarkson had a big influence on who he was working with if you knew anything about that recruitment process. There's already tension between CE and MLB which doesn't bode well.

I've explained why I watch it, not that I need to (though I don't bother watching it 'live' anymore). How can I comment on anything if I haven't seen it, that would be unjust and unfair? Unless we're only allowed to make positive comments in this thread? Last time I checked we don't live in North Korea and can watch what we like and appraise it as such.

Now, do you have anything constructive to add, ie, discussing the main points I raised, such as the copied films and challenges, as you've picked my post to comment on, or are you here just to pick apart (badly) minor points?

Last edited:
I said they were mates, not they started as mates. I will add, Clarkson had a big influence on who he was working with if you knew anything about that recruitment process. There's already tension between CE and MLB which doesn't bode well.

I've explained why I watch it, not that I need to (though I don't bother watching it 'live' anymore). How can I comment on anything if I haven't seen it, that would be unjust and unfair? Last time I checked we don't live in North Korea and can watch what we like?

Now, do you have anything constructive to add, such as discussing the main points I raised, such as the copied films and challenges, as you've picked my post to comment on, or are you here just to pick apart (badly) minor points?

I've already commented on a previous post about episode 3.
Personally I think its getting better and better and love Rory Reid and Chris Harris, they are soooo much more enthusiastic about cars than the three cocks.
Having people like Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz is inspired because they are drivers rather than journalists, or DJ's.
I get that Chris Evans is like marmite to some, I like him and his style but then I like TFI Friday.
I see the similarities in the films you note but I still enjoyed them, especially Matt LeBlanc on the Goldwing
"I love this tunnel"
10 mins later
"I hate this tunnel"
he he he.
For me, it's still good old entertainment.

For a proper motoring show though I have always enjoyed 5th Gear.

I was not being rude when I questioned why you still watch it, I was genuinely curious as to why you still watch it as you seem to have a real hatred of Chris Evans (the marmite effect)
Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't watch it. I don't watch anything Katie Hopkins or Vanessa Phelps is in and will turn the TV over if they appear.

I've already commented on a previous post about episode 3.
Personally I think its getting better and better and love Rory Reid and Chris Harris, they are soooo much more enthusiastic about cars than the three cocks.
Having people like Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz is inspired because they are drivers rather than journalists, or DJ's.
I get that Chris Evans is like marmite to some, I like him and his style but then I like TFI Friday.
I see the similarities in the films you note but I still enjoyed them, especially Matt LeBlanc on the Goldwing
"I love this tunnel"
10 mins later
"I hate this tunnel"
he he he.
For me, it's still good old entertainment.

For a proper motoring show though I have always enjoyed 5th Gear.

I was not being rude when I questioned why you still watch it, I was genuinely curious as to why you still watch it as you seem to have a real hatred of Chris Evans (the marmite effect)
Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't watch it. I don't watch anything Katie Hopkins or Vanessa Phelps is in and will turn the TV over if they appear.

I don't hate him as a person (as I've already said!) I just can't stand watching him on TV and he seems to have adopted a very annoying and disingenuous persona just for TG, and I don't understand why. And he wears his jeans tucked into DMs....

I agree it's improved since the first episode (reining CE in has a big benefit) which is why I still live in hope and still watch on iPlayer in case the get it right, though the last episode went downhill again.

It is better now they've cut back CE's air time. It still pales in comparison to the Clarkson era, even the early ones IMO, which is no doubt why they had the lowest ratings ever on Sunday.

I want it to work. It just isn't (IMO), and we could have predicted that when they got rid of its best assets due to the machine that is the BBC, and the BBC executives misunderstanding their product and being arrogant enough to think they can make it work without these assets.

Last edited:
Got to love MLB's stereotypical view of the U.K.;

"LeBlanc also told the audience that US drivers were better than Brits.

"The roads here are so much wider and bigger, but in the UK and London the roads are so narrow because they were built for horses and carts," he said.

"So in the US, if you make a mistake and get a bit wide, you maybe hit a tree or some bushes. Over in the UK, you go offline? You hit a thousand-year-old church".

Clearly we havn't built a road since the horse and cart days...

http://www.theweek.co.uk/top-gear/65189/top-gear-the-real-reason-matt-leblanc-took-the-bbc-job

In the same article, Eddie Jordan thinks CE should be *more* arrogant. Seriously, what are the TG production team putting in their coffee??

Last edited:
Got to love MLB's stereotypical view of the U.K.;

"LeBlanc also told the audience that US drivers were better than Brits.

"The roads here are so much wider and bigger, but in the UK and London the roads are so narrow because they were built for horses and carts," he said.

"So in the US, if you make a mistake and get a bit wide, you maybe hit a tree or some bushes. Over in the UK, you go offline? You hit a thousand-year-old church".

Clearly we havn't built a road since the horse and cart days...

http://www.theweek.co.uk/top-gear/65189/top-gear-the-real-reason-matt-leblanc-took-the-bbc-job

In the same article, Eddie Jordan thinks CE should be *more* arrogant. Seriously, what are the TG production team putting in their coffee??
No chance that he was being deliberately facetious then :rolleyes:

I actually enjoyed it. Minimal Evans, and great drive of the Aston by Harris. Although I did fast forward through the star in a rubbish car.

They filmed 3 and 4 back to back apparently. Although you'd have thought he could have bought a new jumper with him for the next episode !
And a new yellow t-shirt and trousers and some different shoes. And a different toupe.

I'm sure it's so that you can tell it's the same person all the time - otherwise he might be mistaken for one of the others.

;)

Back