The New Top Gear

Most of the writers went with Clarkson as did the producer. The people that were left were keen to keep the format as it's a huge seller across the world, but it seems sometimes it's trying to follow the format rigorously without any new ideas or flexibility. Even down to the camera filters
I think Matt LeBlanc has been a decent replacement host, theres no doubting Harris can drive and I think the chemistry is slowly working out between the three. It's a good entertainment program for a sunday night

Possibly it's because technology has moved on, but production quality seems a lot higher in Series 24 than in series 18 (that I also watched on Amazon, with Clarkson et al) and much closer to TGT. I agree that they've not moved on though, and there have been a couple of times in the cinematic driving sequences I couldn't have told you which of the 3 (TG before, TG after or TGT) I was watching, to the point of wanting to look up a section and looking in the wrong place.

I'd agree that Le Blanc is better at presenting than the other 2, but none of them sound 'real'.

I loved the yellow RX7, pity they ruined the side of it. About ten years ago, one of my wife's work colleague's husband used to import cars from Japan. I don't know how lucrative it was, but she always seemed to be driving Mazda MX5's or Toyota Supras. I wonder how much the shipping and import duties cost?

I used to work for someone that imported american cars from the us, get them done up at a local place, then flog them as he worked his way up to his dream car, the Plymouth Fury. We used it as the team car for the friday pub run, 3 in the front on the bench seat, 3 in the back - huge thing. It used to cost him $800-1000 in a container as he took part space. Then there was import duties etc.

When it's all electric cars, with no gear changing, will they still call it Top Gear? The next generation won't know what Top Gear means.

When it's all electric cars, with no gear changing, will they still call it Top Gear? The next generation won't know what Top Gear means.

:D
Yup cos it's a brand. Also manufacturers are looking at transmissions for ev vehicles to extend range and speed.

People won't be conscious of any gearing, thank goodness. Or even attributing something exciting or positive to gears.
EVs are finally going to see off the old manual gearbox for good.

Last edited:

No, because most people will have lost interest in 'wasteful' transport by then.

Just how cheap were some of those cars - stunning vehicles.

I loved the yellow RX7, pity they ruined the side of it. About ten years ago, one of my wife's work colleague's husband used to import cars from Japan. I don't know how lucrative it was, but she always seemed to be driving Mazda MX5's or Toyota Supras. I wonder how much the shipping and import duties cost?

Not so cheap once imported, expect price to near double once in the UK. My last 2 cars have been proper JDM imports, the latest being something ultra rare but I managed to wreck it. Getting the replacement panel would be £1200 to the port of Felixstowe, plus customs, VAT and getting it to me on top. I still haven't ruled out importing a Celica GT4, but with prices at £5500 ish in Japan, it doesn't look likely just yet!

I watch and enjoy both as light entertainment.

Possibly my perception but I thought TGT season 2 was a bit off the boil compared to 1. That is with the exception of the in tent sections which were much more natural. They were painful to watch in season 1. The last show transporting the fish was just meh compared to for example their beech buggy episode in season 1.

By comparison Top Gear seams to have raised its game. The Japan episode was really enjoyable for me. The production seemed better and crammed in much more info, the auction, transit system, k-cars, custom cars, drifting, nuclear exclusion zone, racing with sumo wrestlers [emoji848], Type R v’s Lexus...

For me TG is definitely heading in the right direction, I hope TGT steps it up again next season.

Two varients of the same format of entertainment - whats not to like. Twice as much :)

Got to be honest I am loving the new Top Gear (bbc). Look forward seeing the new episodes now as it's funny and refreshing to see it with new presenters who are starting to gel well together as a team.

The grand tour (to be fair I stopped watching after a few episodes) it was just the same old format, bit a little worse than when it was on the BBC and the stuff in the tent was terrible.

I hope the new top gear sticks around for a while, makes top gear worth watching again :)

Probably best if they put it to bed after the next series then. The refresh of presenters to include Chris was a poor choice and I’m glad he only made a single season. Le blanc was certainly the better choice but it just didn’t have that chemistry that made top gear what it was.

Probably best if they put it to bed after the next series then. The refresh of presenters to include Chris was a poor choice and I’m glad he only made a single season. Le blanc was certainly the better choice but it just didn’t have that chemistry that made top gear what it was.

I still like it. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Shame. Matt is often the best one in it.

The grand tour finishes soon so I wonder if they'll just bring the 3 geriatric stooges back?

Shame. Matt is often the best one in it.

The grand tour finishes soon so I wonder if they'll just bring the 3 geriatric stooges back?

Clarkson is now trying to be a (multi)millionaire and quiz show host, so I doubt he's available. LeBlanc was the nearest thing to Clarkson in the new series, so they'll need to find another alpha male type character to counter the 2 follower types. Perhaps the German lass they used for the serious high speed stuff could do it - she's got big enough balls. ;)

Out of the current three, I dislike Rory the most. He's trying to hard to be Richard Hammond and failing.

Sabine can certainly drive, but should have a silent role.

Chris can certainly drive, was too shouty to start with but is improving.

Matt's laid back approach worked best, he wasn't trying to copy any of the previous presenters.

Last series was definitely much better since the big trio left. Sounds like they’ve got somebody lined up or at least plans to include a co host in preparation.

I didn’t say I didn’t like it but it was Leblanc that made the second stint really work. Without him it’s nothing more than an over the top youtube show.

I could have written your post ;)

Matt was the only one with a proper screen presence, the show is going to be dire unless they reboot with 3 decent new presenters.

Get the original three back = sorted :cool:

You mean Noel Edmonds and co.?

It's a pity Matt Le Blanc is leaving as I thought they were starting to get to a format that suited the presenters. Matt Le Blanc and Chris Harris had started to have a bit of chemistry between them, but they all seemed to be genuinely enjoying it. The last series was the best since Clarkson, Hammond and May left imho.

It will need a strong personality to lead the show as I don't think Harris or Reid have it in them to head a show. They will have to choose very well, and maybe also be very lucky to stay at the level they got to, or improve on, in the last series. Fingers crossed.

Oh dear.

Typical though. The BBC is so far removed from its audience that it quite literally has no idea any more.

Its like a parent of a 15 year old girl trying to be cool and just like that 15 year old girl, we may not show it but we do appreciate the effort even if the end results are cringe worthy and embarrassing.

Perhaps it really is now time to put this to rest.

95F291D8-4BD5-48B3-8C3D-1AC2F88A7CAF.gif

http://newsthump.com/2018/10/22/nigel-farage-to-join-top-gear/

Farage will host Top gear and bring the much-missed air of middle-aged befuddlement and racism back to the show, while adopting the shouty, overbearing style to which the shows fans will become accustomed.

“This is great news for the viewer, and better news for Nigel – everyone’s a winner,” beamed Simon Williams, booking agent for Nigel Farage.

“It was the logical next step – he’s already on every other BBC show. Everyone knows that Nigel Farage’s true home is Top Gear, where he will be able to segue neatly from criticising the handling of the new Jaguar to blaming the single market for traffic on the M25.

I'll add my 'oh dear'. :rolleyes:

I thought Top Gear was starting to get its own style, with Matt Le Blanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid starting to work out their roles and their own personality's were starting to come through. I know Matt Le Blanc has left, but to seemingly do another big change seems a bit risky.

Add to that I can only take Flintoff occasionally and in small doses, and the future of Top Gear for me doesn't look too good. Hopefully they will prove my fears wrong. Feel sorry for Rory Reid though. :(

I'll add another 'Oh Dear' to the cloud. I had no idea who these two were until I heard them on the wireless this evening. Probably time for the show to sink without trace.

As for Rory, he was probably 2nd best presenter of the last format behind LeBlanc, so moving him on seems just daft.

Paddy McGuinness - of that s***e dating game on ITV.

"Let the x see the Y" and lots of cheesy phrases expected?

I was disappointed when I learnt that Matt Le Blanc was leaving the programme and even more disappointed today when I saw who the new presenters are - oh dear indeed!

I fear this will be dire !

:(

Back