The New Top Gear

I enjoyed it, but found it ironic that Chris Harris was bleating about continuity, yet when the FXXK pulled out of the pits the tyres it had supposedly just had changed still had stickers on them :)

why wouldn't new tyres have the stickers on them?

I'm quite liking this new series - some good car action and definitely a bit of chemistry developing between Harris and Le Blanc. Just need to get Reid into it more.

Hopefully it carries on in the same vein.

i watched the first one of the last series...that was enough, but after reading on here it wasnt bad ive given the second series a look at and to be fair...i enjoyed it,i really enjoyed it more that GT...heresy , presenters working well together, good mix of chart and cars and shot really well...roll on next week

Loving the latest series, and I have to say its better than it was with Clarkson and crew.

It is getting better with time, it got off to a bad start last series with Chris Evens I used to record it and fast forward the bits with him in it,
I like the current line up of presenters.

Hardly seems fair to put Chris Hoy in the celebrity lap competition, though.

He's not far from being a pro driver these days, it would have been an embarrassment if he couldn't have beaten the rest!

The Rory geezer doesn't get much of a look in does he. Even when it was supposed to be his spot with the electric car, Harris took over and drove.

The chemistry is starting to appear. I think they've just about got the mix, roles sorted. How come the GT didn't set a time on the lap?

I found I enjoyed the episode I watched (DB11) As for TGT hated it I just find those three annoying now.

I found I enjoyed the episode I watched (DB11) As for TGT hated it I just find those three annoying now.
I think they are very funny. Their onscreen characters are stupid, predictable, and sometimes un-pc, but still very funny IMO. And then every so often, they came out with a piece that is stunningly good. I think TG is now far better for car stuff but TGT is more all round entertainment.

Hardly seems fair to put Chris Hoy in the celebrity lap competition, though.

He's not far from being a pro driver these days, it would have been an embarrassment if he couldn't have beaten the rest!
He is a pro driver.

The FIA in their grading system consider Chris Hoy to be a gentlemen / amateur driver rather than a professional.

Quite a handy driver, but not a pro - he has the pro team mate rather than him being the pro with a lesser driver alongside him.

Good lap and deserving of the fast time in tricky conditions.

His marketability and enthusiasm gets him drives - thats how he got the Ginetta LMP3 deal alongside Charlie Eastwood in the factory Ginetta, the Nissan British GT drive and the LMP2 Nissan deal.

Last edited:
Well did a catch up over the past week of the new series and enjoyed it, much better than the Amazon effort - 'seems' less obviously scripted.

Must say though, I really don't remember it being advertised as starting again...

Well did a catch up over the past week of the new series and enjoyed it, much better than the Amazon effort - 'seems' less obviously scripted.

Must say though, I really don't remember it being advertised as starting again...

It's on again on Sunday.

A good entertainment show. Sticking to the proven format, the chemistry between the three is starting to come out. Quite liking some of the new camera angles and tricks, they've gone away from the 'top gear' filters.

Enjoyed it a lot more than GT but I thought the last episode was pretty weak. I really didnt see the point of the Eddie Jordan love in with bernie and the guest of the week section needs shortening, I dont think it works too well keeping them hanging about.

Enjoyed it a lot more than GT but I thought the last episode was pretty weak. I really didn't see the point of the Eddie Jordan love in with bernie and the guest of the week section needs shortening, I dont think it works too well keeping them hanging about.
Absolutely. The Eddie & Bernie "Interview" was bizarre and the final boat build bit didn't live up to my expectations.

Absolutely. The Eddie & Bernie "Interview" was bizarre and the final boat build bit didn't live up to my expectations.

I'd agree 100% about the Eddie/Bernie bit, f-fwd through it as can't abide either of 'em :)

As for the car/boat, I was pleasantly surprised, they actually made something that worked, a change from old TG where creations were inevitably crap :) ( in other words, it didn't live DOWN to my expectations :p )

Last episode was great imo and it's definitely improving week on week. MLB / CH play off each other well with Harris' dry personality a nice contrast to Le Blanc's more jovial disposition.

Unfortunately, I'm not so keen on Rory Reid with his 'down with the kids' comments. All in all I much prefer it to what the old Top Gear became.

And Mat le Wotsit pronounced Jaguar "Jagwah"! :mad:
He's American though, what do you expect really? I personally dislike the fact he's trying to be more British and using bonnet rather than 'hood' and boot rather than 'trunk'.

Stay American, it's fine. We all know what you mean.

By the way, I was referring to pronunciation not terminology. :)
Re: "jagwar"? Of course.

My point was, I don't mind he pronounces it as an American would. He is one at the end of the day so may as well remain thoroughly American rather than trying to be more British through the use of our terminology [emoji4]

Isn't "Jagwar" the more correct pronunciation anyway? I (like most Brits) pronounce it "Jagyouare" but where the animal the car brand is named for, I'm fairly sure they use the (South!) American pronunciation.

Isn't "Jagwar" the more correct pronunciation anyway? I (like most Brits) pronounce it "Jagyouare" but where the animal the car brand is named for, I'm fairly sure they use the (South!) American pronunciation.

Cause I'm a curious sort of chap, I've done some research :)
Native to South America, Mexico and some parts of the USA, most are found in Brazil... so pronunciation wise...
  • "American" English: jag-warr
  • Spanish: Hag-waar
  • Poruguese ( Brazil ) : zhag-waar
( in short, only we say jag-you-arr ) :p:D

Long before Top Gear existed, Jags were known as Jaaags in our family (and among Mum and Dad's friends, several of whom had [and still have!] old XKs) so that's what Mrs Nod and I call ours (both relatively modern compared to Mum and Dad's friends' cars.)

Back