The new version of Flickr

Well Flickr is 'No more' for me after the changes they've made and I'll also be closing my pro account and looking for somewhere else :-(

I'm going to give it a few days to settle down...If the infrastructure and configuration doesn't speed up soon then I think I'll leave them...But it is flickr not a matter of live and death nor big money making either...So I'm happy for them sort out their issues...

Do you drive a Ford Model T?

Nothing wrong with change so long as it improves things.

The change to Flickr appears to take away more than it gives. Control over how your pictures are displayed in your photostream being the most annoying, and (apparently) no option to view single pictures on white being another.

The mosaic is great for browsing through a tide of shuite, but it's not much good for considering individual pictures. There must be a better way to organise it.

What Flickr should probably learn from this is to build more user customisation so each user can customise the screens to their liking. Obviously not in an endless way but at least a handful of options. These options would then remain available even when changes are brought in to keep the general feel more up to date.

By doing that they would also capture key data around user preferences and be able to make future releases fit more with how the majority use the product.

Of course there is always the fact that those complaining are very much in the minority and those that are happy or not really bothered are just getting on with it...

I had yet to have a real look into it, but I like the new look. There ae going to be teething problems, but I have felt for the last we years that Flickr was looking dated compared to things like Facebook, Tumblr, Pintrest etc.

Their replace picture function is ****, it breaks the original links :(

What Flickr should probably learn from this is to build more user customisation so each user can customise the screens to their liking.

If I have read the email correctly from this morning, that is exactly what 500px have done, by introducing 'portfolios'.

EDIT: they even allow you to add HTML and CSS!

Last edited:
22,000 + where most seem to be very anti. Although I accept even 22,000 is a small percentage of Flickr users but it is still a considerable number?

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/page227/

Yes, 22,000 sounds like a considerable number but as you say yourself it is still very much a minority.

In fact there are 87,000,000 Flickr users so 22,000 makes up 0.03%. Not a figure I would worry about especially as when you take out the moaners and drama queens from the 22,000 you would probably be left with less than a 1,000 people who actually do anything about it.

Do you drive a Ford Model T?

I would quite like one actually - in black of course.
Running with that theme though, it is interesting to see how very minor electrical problems can render a vehicle unusable npwadays, when the EMS decides to shut down everything or if you are lucky, allow you to continue in "limp home mode". I can think of crankshaft sensor faults in Audis in particular.
The old version of Flickr, was IMO very logical and quick, it was easy to edit images, create sets, and uploading images was stressfree.
This on the other hand does not work, so for me that is a big fail.;)

Yes, 22,000 sounds like a considerable number but as you say yourself it is still very much a minority.

In fact there are 87,000,000 Flickr users so 22,000 makes up 0.03%. Not a figure I would worry about especially as when you take out the moaners and drama queens from the 22,000 you would probably be left with less than a 1,000 people who actually do anything about it.

Do you work for Flickr :D

Only joking (y)

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" but the new Flickr - in my eyes - is not good. Yes I will give it time to 'iron out' the defects & to see if I get used to it but, to me, it is like when I bought two new laptops in the last few months with Windows 8. I tried to not be a dinosaur, with W8, but in the end sought some free software that made it behave like W7. So if Flickr offered customisable options even just 'old version' or 'new version' I would be very happy.

Out of the happy people not many have posted which is even less on the percentage scale of total users. Some just put up with it or vent elsewhere I guess.

Happy people don't tend to comment on things which is why perception can easily get skewed as people who look for negatives in everything usually scream the loudest.

Accepted practice is to ignore the negative people and not spend any effort trying to bring them round as it is wasted effort. The effort should on the positive people.

Happy people don't tend to comment on things which is why perception can easily get skewed as people who look for negatives in everything usually scream the loudest.

Accepted practice is to ignore the negative people and not spend any effort trying to bring them round as it is wasted effort. The effort should on the positive people.

:LOL:
And you read your post before hitting submit reply :thinking:

well...it's growing on me...so long as I know where everything is I'm happy - I wish my own photos were on the front page, but at least I'm getting to see more of my contacts' stuff :)

I do like the new layout although it seems quite similar to how Facebook and Google are displaying photos now. I dunno why there's been a migration to black backgrounds, but it doesn't bother me.

My only gripe is that I like to look at Exif data, and that now involves an extra click per photo. And of that I disapprove! ;)

And it's So. Slow. To. Load.

I'm definitely going free, not paying for largely useless stats and to replace photos. Especially as some of you have said the ads aren't intrusive.

Mine has been slow but can't say I've had any trouble with it totally stopping and I can load my "original" images which do tend to only be 2000 wide mind. Would like a view count when you hover over your own images, especially when I can't quickly nose at stats from 2 days time onwards.

Most of my photos view best on black though, actually not sure there's a large amount of photos that do view best on white anyway. Obviously stuff on black backgrounds. I guess a white border may be needed.

For all the hate here the amount up uploads I'm getting from contacts (almost exclusively from TP) says most people are using it still anyway.

Just read a tweet by 500px saying that they are having technical problems today. How are the whiners going to cope if Flickr and 500px are having issues?? Some people's heads are going to explode!

Difference between big old flickr and my new host is that 3days ago I asked where the bbcode was, 15mins later I was told how to get round the problem which I knew anyway and today I get a message saying it has been done. BBcode now available. Couldn't even get flickr to reply to umpteen messages I sent.

Difference between big old flickr and my new host is that 3days ago I asked where the bbcode was, 15mins later I was told how to get round the problem which I knew anyway and today I get a message saying it has been done. BBcode now available. Couldn't even get flickr to reply to umpteen messages I sent.

Wait a sec, are you saying that you wrote to Flickr to find out where the bbcode was?

Wait a sec, are you saying that you wrote to Flickr to find out where the bbcode was?

No but in the past when one of my collections just disappeared I got a message 3 weeks later asking if it had reappeared and after saying no it hadn't, that was that and I heard no more about it. I should have said that bbcode wasn't available on the new host but they programmed it and let me know that it was now available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read a tweet by 500px saying that they are having technical problems today. How are the whiners going to cope if Flickr and 500px are having issues?? Some people's heads are going to explode!

That's not the first post you've stuck in here whining about the whiners ... irony ...

It's one thing to whine about how you feel about the new look ... for some of s though, who paid for a sub - and can't get in, and haven't been able to do so for the last few days ... there's genuine reason to have a moan ... I'm not about to, just saying. If people want to moan, let them at it, what's it to you?

A few days ago, I was offered the chance to purchase "Pro" as I was getting close to the 200 images limit. I don't post to their servers all of that much and so, I declined. Had I taken the bait, I would have been quite cheesed off with the new changes as I don't think I'll ever need more than 1TB of disk space for online images!
Not a great move from their Pro costumes point of view.

That's not the first post you've stuck in here whining about the whiners ... irony ...

It's one thing to whine about how you feel about the new look ... for some of s though, who paid for a sub - and can't get in, and haven't been able to do so for the last few days ... there's genuine reason to have a moan ... I'm not about to, just saying. If people want to moan, let them at it, what's it to you?

What's it to me? I just find it so very amusing :LOL:

Loving the new feature flickad has installed so you can now grab the code and choose the size of photo you would like to download from anyone on flickad :D
If you can get beyond the panda that is :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, it's up at full size 2607x3917, restricted to 1024 for viewing. :LOL:

Yes that is fine then but before you couldn't with yours as you just got the background image of a pixel but now they just give people the code to post using the share icon. I bet lots of people get caught out by this.

Yes that is fine then but before you couldn't with yours as you just got the background image of a pixel but now they just give people the code to post using the share icon. I bet lots of people get caught out by this.

No different than anyone cutting anything from this forum.....if it's on the web and they want to nick it they'll get it somehow!!

Anyhow, I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about the merits of flickr or any other photo sharing site. You pays your money and takes your choice! I'm happy with the new flickr and 500px, which are the two I mainly use, and that's all that matters to me :)

Back