The new version of Flickr

More than 3 languages, just select from the bottom of the page. :LOL:

I'm not sure if I just haven't discovered the right method yet - however I think that a certain amount of functionality has been lost.

Whenever I was going to visit somewhere (eg Barcelona) - I would put (in this case) "Barcelona" into Flickr Search. It would return a whole series of photos with Barcelona tagged - and would also have an option to "Slide Show."

I used to click slideshow and also "show information" - and my resaech for a visit was simply to sit and watch and read. The slideshow element seems to be lost from a search now.

It does make for a good private backup device for free providing the security works and they respect your private photos, can't see any reason why they wouldn't. I did give up very quickly trying to read comments on friends and contacts photos, scroll up scroll down next photo, scroll up scroll down next photo, well you get the message unless I was doing it wrong. I think the community experience has been downgraded. Just a photo troll site now I personally think and I'm sad for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the community experience has been downgraded. Just a photo troll site now I personally think and I'm sad for that.

I disagree. I find myself looking at and commenting on more of my contacts photos simply because I can see a larger version straight away, rather than a very small preview that I then had to click on to see if it was a photo that interested me.

Last edited:
Thank god for TP and that is my last word on it, promise. :D

Sorry, not getting your point?

Exactly

Utter drama queen

So, because my conviction and passionate belief that Yahoo have handled this poorly from the off, that the new look doesn't actually benefit anyone who takes their photography seriously and that my opinion differs from yours gives you the right to pass off a condescending remark like that?

If your aim is to troll and escalate by making inflammatory remarks I suggest you be careful.

Be careful of what exactly, is that some sort of threat?

I still believe that some slight changes made to a website are hardly an "utter disaster" are they and only someone very melodramatic would use that term. Flickr also has nothing to do with taking photography very seriously, it is a social media site that centres around photos...

However, I apologise for a personal remark and I shouldn't have made that and my comments around people being overly dramatic around changes should have been kept general rather than personal, sorry Digifrog.

Last edited:
Come on guys, he is just trying to convey his thoughts of the new look. I'm sure no threat was intended.

I for one don't like the new look of Flickr. Takes longer to load for me and quite a few times it has loaded weirdly and looks bugged out. The right hand bar also looks weird when you scroll down. It moves around and pictures end up getting chopped in half...

All be it, I do like the new little thumbnails within the larger image to see their newest images. nice little touch.

Im not keen on the new look, my first reaction was hate it, but i will give it time, and perhaps will come to terms with the changes, and if it still irks me then i have the option to delete and move on.

my first reaction was hate it, but i will give it time, and perhaps will come to terms with the changes.

I thought that a few days ago...and hate it even more now.

Searching really sucks. Back button to see the original selection offered for your search reveals lots and lots of kittens. search again from scratch.. (yawn)
The preview albums look awful all squared off.
And some of you guys need to alter that horrible header picture you have at the top ;)

Oh sod it, I suppose it'll grow on me :(

Last edited:
I think I am in the minority when I say that I really like it. The layout, although obviously taking inspiration form 500px, Facebook, Pintrest, Google+ ect, seems really fresh and new (at least compared to the old one!).

I think that someone on the Photography podcast that I listen to summed it up nicely when they said that "it feels like a Beta version." Some of the pages seem identical top old Flickr, with just a new navigation bar. There are diffidently some bugs to be fixed and improvements to be had, but as a first draft, its great.

I was however disappointed to discover there was really no new way of finding the best content. So many people just shove their whole SD cards onto that site and it's really hard to draw inspiration in the same way that 500px does so well. I couldn't even find the 'most popular / editors picks' pages in the explore panel. If I ever want to research, I go straight to 500px, and I would really like that to change so that I just have one Photo hub.

I have also had to re-upload all of my stuff, originally Lightroom publish my files at 500px wide, which now needs to be changed to 1000px because the images just have so much more space. Although of course this is my own fault it is still a pain in the ass.

In conclusion, I love the design, I just wish Flickr would have spent maybe another month or so to tie up some loose ends and fix a few bugs.

Cheers,

Sid.

I've read that anyone can now replace photos, also on recent activity it now gives me the option to activate stats - now it's currently broken, but I wonder if that means all members will get the use of stats?

My views on new photos are ridiculously lower than they would've been before the change, not sure why.

Well my flickr account has gone totally t**s up! It wont let me sign in! Evidently my user name and password aren't correct any more! Then the b****y site locks me out of my account!

Today's bugs are i can't share pics/post them in any groups and if i comment on any of my contacts it will not let me type the letter "K" for some reason :LOL:
I am seeing the funny side and always seem to get pleasure from someone making a monumental balls up.

Anyone else using IE10 on Windows 8??

The "3 dots" thing doesn't seem to work on photos when I'm accessing flickr on my main Windows 8 PC but is fine on my laptop with IE8/Windows 7......

Just wondering..........

Edit - switched on compatibility view and it worked OK but got the warnings about using it so switched it off again - but the "3 dots" thing now seems to be working. Weird.

Need to play more to see if it's just the change to something new or a genuine dislike of the new way.

Last edited:
After using it for a while (in a small window at work), I can say I do not like the auto resize for the photos. Flickr needs to set a minimum size that the image will scale down to, or else I just look at tiny thumbnails lol

it's ok although it's success is reliant on newish devices and a decent broadband connection

i don't like having a huge photo from a contact in my face when i open it

and unless i'm missing something i can't find a way to alter the appearance layout in any way

however i think my own photostream looks better

have these people ever thought of putting up a beta somewhere else and asking their users for feedback?

Last edited:
have these people ever thought of putting up a beta somewhere else and asking their users for feedback?

Evidently not.

I don't think this is ever going to grow on me, I can't even find some of my own stuff let alone other stuff I might want to look at.

What's the obvious alternative?

Evidently not.

I don't think this is ever going to grow on me, I can't even find some of my own stuff let alone other stuff I might want to look at.

What can't you find?

I think flickr has lost like a whole 500 people to ipernity, I guess they're the alternative.

They seem to keep randomising the photostream order of recent uploads the last few days, very odd behaviour.
It goes back to sequence based on upload time if you refresh.

Anyone else using IE10 on Windows 8??

The "3 dots" thing doesn't seem to work on photos when I'm accessing flickr on my main Windows 8 PC but is fine on my laptop with IE8/Windows 7......

Just wondering..........

Edit - switched on compatibility view and it worked OK but got the warnings about using it so switched it off again - but the "3 dots" thing now seems to be working. Weird.

Need to play more to see if it's just the change to something new or a genuine dislike of the new way.

I found that if you clear your browser cache (on chrome) it starts to work ok, i'm sort of getting used to it now but seem to be spending more time on 500px these days.

Evidently not.

Ipernity I suppose. I tried it, didn't like it and deleted my account after about a month. It's a poor imitation of the old Flickr which some people seem to be liking. What got my goat was how all those who left Flickr kept bigging up Ipernity as though it's the best thing ever when in reality it's pap.

Flickr is still by far the best for me personally.

Last edited:
500px?
Then you'll appreciate how much you get for free with flickr.
500px is going the other way with giving free accounts less options.
I stopped using it.

Can anybody tell me how to get to the bottom of the home page? If I click on Flickr, top left of the page, it just keeps loading more and more recent activity, it's taken me through the last 5 months before it come to a halt and you can see all 'about' 'community' and 'help' sections at the bottom of the page. Is it an option I can turn off or at least limit?

Can anybody tell me how to get to the bottom of the home page? If I click on Flickr, top left of the page, it just keeps loading more and more recent activity, it's taken me through the last 5 months before it come to a halt and you can see all 'about' 'community' and 'help' sections at the bottom of the page. Is it an option I can turn off or at least limit?

I never visit that page as the infinite scroll is annoying. I just have "recent activity" bookmarked instead.

There's no way to turn off infinite scroll as yet, but Flickr have acknowledged it's an issue and will work on it.

I never visit that page as the infinite scroll is annoying. I just have "recent activity" bookmarked instead.

There's no way to turn off infinite scroll as yet, but Flickr have acknowledged it's an issue and will work on it.

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was going insane or that Flickr had been reprogrammed by Kafka.

I've setup some collections for the first time but can see how/where they show up. On my page I have the sets showing but there is no page for collections

There is.

Click on those 3 dots to the right of your banner image (under where it says "Member since".)

Click on "Collections"

BjxVCTt.png

Simple.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if is possible to batch name a set of images in flickr rather than going through every shot. Bit of a newbie at the flickr thing and as I am getting older my patience gets shorter. lol

Can anyone tell me if is possible to batch name a set of images in flickr rather than going through every shot. Bit of a newbie at the flickr thing and as I am getting older my patience gets shorter. lol

I think you could do it in the organiser if I remember correctly, I would check for you but I no longer use Flickr.

I think you could do it in the organiser if I remember correctly, I would check for you but I no longer use Flickr.

During upload you can highlight each image and apply bits like tags to all images. You can probably do the same with titles. I normally use cut and paste but I'm only uploading 3 or 4 images at a time.

Where did you hear they are working on it as I must have missed that?

Back