The new version of Flickr

With these changes comes the news that we will no longer be offering Pro accounts on Flickr. All those with one-time Pro will retain their benefits until their subscription expires. Recurring Pro members currently have the opportunity to continue renewing their subscriptions. Until we communicate otherwise, your subscription will continue at the price you started with (and not higher). All current Pro members will receive a message in their primary email accounts with more details.

Pro badges will also no longer be visible on the site. If you’re wondering about your current subscription status, please visit your account order history.

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157633531669359/

Recurring Pro members currently have the opportunity to continue renewing their subscriptions. Until we communicate otherwise, your subscription will continue at the price you started with (and not higher). All current Pro members will receive a message in their primary email accounts with more details.

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157633531669359/

yeah thats great but whats the relevance of the august date if they just auto "downgrade" anyway?

Its all over the place for me...images over the top of each other and when selecting sets the resolution goes right up....very messed up on Win7 64 using Firefox

I'm so confused.

Have the stats gone then?

Has the monthly upload limit been lifted for us lowly free users?

So, is it going to renew for another 3 months? Could I choose to subscribe for 1 year on my renewal day? Will I still be paing the same as I paid for the previous 3 months?

My understanding, from sifting through a couple threads over on Flickr, is that yes, if your Pro account is set to automatically renew, it will continue to do so, and you'll be charged whatever rate you'd previously chosen. It's unclear if you'll be able to change the period/rate - I haven't come across anything that addresses that.

There also appear to be plans in the works to permit Pro accounts that aren't automatically renewing (such as gifts) to switch to a recurring basis.

do free accounts have stats etc or will I need to pay for 'ad free' to get stats?

I haven't seen anything definitively addressing stats on the new accounts. It would appear that those won't be available to new account holders, paid or free, only Pro.

I don't really understand the emphasis on high resolution images, as this seems to be the driving force behind the massive size of the new accounts. There are not that many retina displays in circulation yet and my broadband is not getting any faster to compensate. Maybe flickr fancy being the worlds largest micro stock agency - all they need now is a way of orphaning some images......

Yahoo muddying the waters a little so no-one realises they actually paid $1.1billion for Tumblr and laughs their heads off.

I'm yet to check out the new Flickr but I will reserve my judgment until I do.

There's also smugmug if you want photo storage. Their site layout and appearance is antiquated though. Basic account with them is $40 pa but that is unlimited storage and bandwidth.

Full stats and referral tracking as well, which I've found to be really useful. Antiquated but in my experience the majority of people who use my Smugmug site prefer it to all this new panel/window type design currently so popular.

I've been with them for about 10 years I think, pretty sure the rate you pay never changes from the price you pay at sign up, plus the support they provide is the best I've experienced anywhere.

Anyone know whether it is possible for people who already have a recurring Pro account to change the frequency? I.e I currently have a 3 month subscription, would like to change to 1 year. If i do, will it be recurring, or will it expire after the year?

Anyone know whether it is possible for people who already have a recurring Pro account to change the frequency? I.e I currently have a 3 month subscription, would like to change to 1 year. If i do, will it be recurring, or will it expire after the year?

Settings-manage your pro subsciption, looks like there is only 3mnth or 2year subscription now the 12mnth is blanked out.

Last edited:
Something interesting/annoying about the main page feed. Some users like to only upload 3-5 pictures at a time over a few days, even if they have a set of 100 to upload. Apparently this gives them more exposure, it was never really an issue on the old site as it was only basically a thumbnail on the main page.

Now anyone who does that essentially takes over your main page, with a large image and a few thumbnails from their upload, then another large image and a few thumbnails from their next upload.

I've done the sensible thing and 'un-contacted' those who do it!

Have to say i think it does look quite nice, the photo stream is far more pleasant. But it does look far more social media like (especially with things like a cover photo) and I dont really understand why there stopping the people from getting new pro accounts?

Anyone else had any of there panoramas looking very pixely when there not logged in?

Jack (y)

I've done the sensible thing and 'un-contacted' those who do it!

You could change your bookmark for Flickr to another page, the stuff is all still there but it's on different pages now. I don't mind because I mainly want to see a stream of contacts images so I've just changed my bookmark the friends page (first link below) and I click the Communities button to check groups.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/friends - Your contacts' images but you can chose 5 images per person or 1 image per person. Plus the smaller images mean you can just look at the page and see everything instead of spending the rest of your life scrolling the bigger images.
http://www.flickr.com/groups - The groups list.
http://www.flickr.com/activity - Your "activity", i.e. favourites and comments on your images and contact adding like you got on the old home page.

The main page doesn't show anything useful other than the contact stream now anyway.

I dont really understand why there stopping the people from getting new pro accounts?
I'd take a punt at it being a condition of an advertising deal or something like that so people have to pay more to hide the adverts. Why the features have to go too I've no idea.

Last edited:
That's got a big thumbs up from me!

For years I've held back on using flickr on two counts; firstly: it never really came across as being user friendly and secondly, having to pay a monthly fee if I want to store more than 200 images. Seems a bit steep when it's "rival", Photobucket, can store thousands of decent sized images for free.

Now I've looked into it again today . . . I've straight away picked up on it and how I found it so much easier to find my way around it . . . so, from this day henceforth, I am now a flickr convert.

Incidentally, I can't see any adverts but that might be Chrome's adblock doing that.

I still can't see any of my photos on the photostream, just the spiralling balls (which is just about what I think of the new version) and my sets are just a mess. Very frustrating.

I have just cancelled my subscription from next subscription update....don't see the point of paying for something when I don't have too...

There's bits I like and bits I strongly dislike.

Has anyone viewed their images full screen yet? not only does it take an age to load in comparison to the old flickr, but once full screen it's more like an animation rather than a fixed image...

Maybe a small thing in the grand scheme of things but overall I think it's quite annoying.

Overall I like the new layout though...

Has anyone viewed their images full screen yet? not only does it take an age to load in comparison to the old flickr, but once full screen it's more like an animation rather than a fixed image...

Gave up ... just black screen with the usual red & blue balls!

Hate it at the moment... don't like the new look of the sets... maybe just need some more time to adapt.
Just tried to search for a few people including myself and got nothing.

I have just cancelled my subscription from next subscription update....don't see the point of paying for something when I don't have too...

This is what I don't understand, why are they actively promoting the ability to move from a fee paying account to a free one? Will they really make more than £15 in ad revenue from me alone in the next 12 months?!

Making the ad free account the same price as Pro is currently, and migrating Pro users across at the end of their current term seemed like a far more logical arrangement to me.

It will also be interesting to see how this impacts upon apps like Flickstackr (which is far superior to anything Flickr ever produced), how will those manage ads?

Last edited:
Seems to me they've tried to make it more like using social networking on a smartphone, it's that "one button to do everything, lets just randomly swipe at it and see what happens" approach rather than a classic menu set for PC users.
Something Facebook keeps doing more and more, making the interface less and less logical.

Something akin to those ridiculous online catalogues, on which you have to manually "grab" and turn over the 2000 pages rather than simply scrolling down or hitting the "PGDN" key.
I guess it looks less intimidating for technophobes, but ultimately slowly, completely illogical and drives the more experienced folk totally nuts.

Last edited:
Will they really make more than £15 in ad revenue from me alone in the next 12 months?!
Probably, £15 a year is nothing.

Seems to me they've tried to make it more like using social networking on a smartphone

They specifically said in an interview that "mobile" was a big influence on it.
But then they said something like "the pictures were our inspiration" so who knows whether they were even trying to answer questions or were just spitting out nonsense that a committee had decided sounded good.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem confused about the pro accounts dissapearing but not me, do you have any idea how much money they make from advertising? I'm sure your membership fee's are a drop in the ocean in comparison, especially after they put the advertising prices up because of all the new traffic.

A lot of people seem confused about the pro accounts dissapearing but not me, do you have any idea how much money they make from advertising? I'm sure your membership fee's are a drop in the ocean in comparison, especially after they put the advertising prices up because of all the new traffic.

I would still pay for Pro account, even if it included advertising though. I dont pay for the Pro service to remove adverts, adblock would do that for me. I pay for the unlimited space/bandwidth and the other useful features such as Replace Photo and Stats.

Is there a way for it to show the vital parts of the EXIF data again? Still learning and I find this REALLY helpful. Don't see why they'd just remove it and keep everything else there?!

Not working for me at the moment!

Is there a way for it to show the vital parts of the EXIF data again? Still learning and I find this REALLY helpful.

You can still see all of the EXIF information if you click the ... button in the bottom right of the black area around an image and choose view EXIF info. The exposure settings are near the top of the list of information you get provided the person hasn't chosen to hide their EXIF and they haven't removed it prior to uploading.

You can still see all of the EXIF information if you click the ... button in the bottom right of the black area around an image and choose view EXIF info. The exposure settings are near the top of the list of information you get provided the person hasn't chosen to hide their EXIF and they haven't removed it prior to uploading.

Did notice that, but it used to have shutter speed, aperture etc right next to the photo which was extremely useful.

Clicking two buttons and then scrolling about is a bit of a chore when you're looking through a ton of photos.

I don't really understand the emphasis on high resolution images, as this seems to be the driving force behind the massive size of the new accounts. There are not that many retina displays in circulation yet and my broadband is not getting any faster to compensate. Maybe flickr fancy being the worlds largest micro stock agency - all they need now is a way of orphaning some images......

They already strip out some the data so its the start of the process. High res uploads mean people can just nick your image at its best quality.

It looks a lot like Picasa/Google+ now. Photostream doesn't show pictures off well to my mind now, everything cluttered. Previously there was space around it. Less aimed at photographers than people who like to 'share' their photos, or idly browse other people's.

The lack of stats on a free account will be annoying, I assume they're slowly hoping to filter them out though I can't see why.

I removed auto subscription (now run out on the 26th) anyway as I wasn't sure I could afford my renewal til mid June. Edit: Oh, I can either change to a 3 month or 2 year sub, or reactivate my 1 year it seems. Hmm. Decisions.

I may be being cynical or over thinking this, but encouraging lots of people to upload original images plus removing the ability for most people to upgrade to see where they've been linked to seems to my mind like it's all to make it easier for people to steal images. I never upload anything full size though because I sharpen for about 2000px, used to be for 1024.

Last edited:
I may be being cynical or over thinking this, but encouraging lots of people to upload original images plus removing the ability for most people to upgrade to see where they've been linked to seems to my mind like it's all to make it easier for people to steal images. I never upload anything full size though because I sharpen for about 2000px, used to be for 1024.

You may well have a very valid point there!:thinking:

The lack of stats on a free account will be annoying, I assume they're slowly hoping to filter them out though I can't see why.

I removed auto subscription (now run out on the 26th) anyway as I wasn't sure I could afford my renewal til mid June. Edit: Oh, I can either change to a 3 month or 2 year sub, or reactivate my 1 year it seems. Hmm. Decisions.

There were no stats avaliable on a free account anyway:shrug:

There used to be a way not to see follow up comments on comments you made on others images, is that still avaliable? If so where abouts is the option?

Where it always was. Recent Activity - Replies to My Comments.

It wasn't broken, so why "fix" it :thinking:
No one was complaining about how it worked before and i never had any speed issues but now it's so slow that my tablet just gives up :bang:

Back