The official Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread - *1.0.4 standard and C-Log firmware now available*

That's interesting and cheaper than my repair! Mine didn't mention control wheel assembly if I remember rightly so perhaps it was a different problem.

I was also very impressed with their communications and turn around time. I think registering with CPS is worth it too.

I've got it back with the full service report this evening. This details a load of stuff under 'Standard EOS Service', sensor clean, body clean etc. A thorough check of all moving parts, dials, slots, ports, lens mount etc.

The replacement items are listed as 'Replaced Mode Dial Assembly' and 'Replaced Interface PCB'.

The mode dial (B, M, Av, Tv, P etc) definitely hasn't been changed. The Main Dial (the one which was playing up certainly has). Sure enough, you can buy just the main dial assembly so they must be doing that instead of the whole top plate where necessary.

The'Interface PCB' was surprising as I've never even used any of those connectors. (This PCB handles the mic, headphone and flash sync terminals). They don't seem to have charged for this part.

Other than having to restore my setup, every is working like new. Very happy camper.

Last edited:
I've got it back with the full service report this evening. This details a load of stuff under 'Standard EOS Service', sensor clean, body clean etc. A thorough check of all moving parts, dials, slots, ports, lens mount etc.

The replacement items are listed as 'Replaced Mode Dial Assembly' and 'Replaced Interface PCB'.

The mode dial (B, M, Av, Tv, P etc) definitely hasn't been changed. The Main Dial (the one which was playing up certainly has). Must have been a Sure enough, you can buy just the main dial assembly so they must be doing that instead of the whole top plate where necessary.

The'Interface PCB' was surprising as I've never even used any of those connectors. (This PCB handles the mic, headphone and flash sync terminals). They don't seem to have charged for this part.

Other than having to restore my setup, every is working like new. Very happy camper.
That's good news. Perhaps the PCB gets damaged in removing the main dial assembly. I've just checked my invoice. I paid £138.88 for a 'service and replaced top cover' - it doesn't actually say anything about the dial, so I assume it is all in one. It sorted the problem anyway, and I was impressed with their service.

Hopefully like me you will forget this ever happened. I had lost a little faith at first, but it has not missed a beat since.

When in Live View, is there a setting that I can change so that the camera doesn't take a photo when I press on an area on the screen. And can I zoom in to that area?

I want to press an area where I want to focus on and the camera to auto focus on that spot.

When in Live View, is there a setting that I can change so that the camera doesn't take a photo when I press on an area on the screen. And can I zoom in to that area?

I want to press an area where I want to focus on and the camera to auto focus on that spot.

Found it. There's a setting called Touch Shutter that disables it

Does anyone use the EOS iTR AF for wildlife ?
What are your thoughts? Is it worth it?

Been away for 4 or more years what with work and other commitments but here I am ready to get my mojo back, in the near future I will be upgrading my 7D for a 5D MK4, always liked the 5d series and now is the time

I got all my gear out this morning and was pleasently surprised to find all of my lens bar 1 will fit the full frame.

Never really got on with the 7d for some strange reason, maybe that is why I lost my mojo a bit before work took over.

Been looking at 2nd hand 5d Mk4 and then took a look at Panamoz and found for a couple more hundred I can buy new. I know these are grey imports but savings on new and seems a better deal than 2nd hand seems worth it. Whats peoples thoughts on this senario???

Been away for 4 or more years what with work and other commitments but here I am ready to get my mojo back, in the near future I will be upgrading my 7D for a 5D MK4, always liked the 5d series and now is the time

I got all my gear out this morning and was pleasently surprised to find all of my lens bar 1 will fit the full frame.

Never really got on with the 7d for some strange reason, maybe that is why I lost my mojo a bit before work took over.

Been looking at 2nd hand 5d Mk4 and then took a look at Panamoz and found for a couple more hundred I can buy new. I know these are grey imports but savings on new and seems a better deal than 2nd hand seems worth it. Whats peoples thoughts on this senario???
Welcome back:)

Back when I had Canon gear, amongst my progression of upgrades I had the 7D and it was the one I least enjoyed using......I traded it in for the 5D mk3 and was my entry into full frame. It was a wonderful camera and I surmise the MK4 will not disappoint:)

FWIW all Canon gear sold in favour of my switch (after about 25 years) in 2016 to Olympus :)

Last edited:
Welcome back:)

Back when I had Canon gear, amongst my progression of upgrades I had the 7D and it was the one I least enjoyed using......I traded it in for the 5D mk3 and was my entry into full frame. It was a wonderful camera and I surmise the MK4 will not disappoint:)

FWIW all Canon gear sold in favour of my switch (after about 25 years) in 2016 to Olympus :)
Thats good to know about your upgrade from the 7D to the 5dMk3.
I bet that was a big decision to switch out all your gear to another brand?

Another question

Why 2 card slots? CF and sd?

on my 7D and cameras before this I have only ever had one type of card to use. Without having the camera yet I am unable to understand why both slots and two different types of card

Thanks

Well it arrived a few weeks ago and not reallly had a chance to use it much what with work and rubbish weather, but I have got out a couple of times and wow!!!! what a difference

Sooo much better in everyway then to my old 7D

From this thread, it almost seems as if the 5D4 is a recent camera but I bought mine new in 2017 almost 6 years ago. Overall, it has been an excellent camera but is now too heavy for me so largely replaced by a Sony A6600. For a long lens combination the Canon is 3 times the Sony weight but IQ is almost as good. I still keep the canon kit for studio work and recent videoed my son's wedding. Prior to Covid, I was taking just over 2,000 frames a year with the 5D4 but now only use it for around 120 frames a year. I found Back Button focussing very useful on the 5D4.

A mention of poor weather above reminds me that if I have to go out in poor weather, I would probably take the Canon as it is reasonably weather proof whereas the Sony A6600 is not but I would most likely stay at home.

Dave

I picked up a Canon 5D MarkIV the other day and ive shot a few portrait session with it. I'm struggling a little adapting to the colours compared to the Mark III. Are there any settings I can change to get it as close to the Mark III as possible? Or do I need to do it all in post? Cheers

I picked up a Canon 5D MarkIV the other day and ive shot a few portrait session with it. I'm struggling a little adapting to the colours compared to the Mark III. Are there any settings I can change to get it as close to the Mark III as possible? Or do I need to do it all in post? Cheers
Has been a long since I used Canon 5D3....

But first questions comes to mind...

If bought secondhand have you done a factory reset i.e. back to out of the box condition?

And also, had you set up your MK3 with jpeg picture styles and other personalisations?

Loving my 5Div in the studio and for landscapes. I've tried several times at a motorcycle event and although the panning seems OK, I'm confused as to the best of the 6 case options for focus and setting the parameters within. Anybody have any favourite choice of their 'best selection' from the 6 case options and what they use internally for the 3 parameters for this kind of sports activity (keeping lock on the rider during panning sequences).
I'm happy with AF, AI Servo and Cont shooting mode
I'm simply looking to increase my keeper rate.

Has been a long since I used Canon 5D3....

But first questions comes to mind...

If bought secondhand have you done a factory reset i.e. back to out of the box condition?

And also, had you set up your MK3 with jpeg picture styles and other personalisations?
I havnt no! I'll def give that a try. Ive spoken to a few canon folk now who tell me I just need to get used to the cooler tones etc. Thats fine I just hoped there might be a way round it so I can judge the colours better while I'm shooting. I shall battle on. BW

Back