The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

i've a thumb's up grip for my xp1 (bought used) http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/ThumbsUpEP7S.aspx. I couldn't do without one now and they hugely improve the handling.

I have a Footprint leather wrist-strap, bought off eBay I think. These straps can be quite stiff when new but get better with use. I don't use them any more though as I prefer a neck strap or nothing.

You might want to try using a grip too - I didn't like it when I first tried in a shop but later on I picked one up used at a good price and wouldn't take it off the X-pro1 now. With the thumbs up and grip the camera handles much better

Are any of you guys using thumb grips like thumbs up or anything? If so which ones and do you have any links to them or where you got them from?

I've only just picked up the X-Pro, but been an X100 owner since it came out and have put the thumb grip I bought for it onto the X-Pro LINKY.

It fits my chunky hands great, but I still feel I need a case for it to pad it out a little, its a pity Horusbennu don't make a half case for the X-Pro as the one I have for my X100 is great.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I have had a look on the match technical site and also found a supplier in London. £109 seems like quite a lot for a thumbs up grip, how much of a difference did you find it made?

I wouldn't pay 109 for one. I got mine used for a fraction of that (cannot remember how much I paid I am afraid). There are lots of cheap alternatives and they must be worth trying before shelling out

Question about importing pics... I have been shooting RAW + Fine, but when i import to LR (plugging the sd card into the slot on Macbook), only the RAW files show. Yet in the past with an old x100 it would also show the jpgs too. Any reasons why they show in camera but not in LR?

Question about importing pics... I have been shooting RAW + Fine, but when i import to LR (plugging the sd card into the slot on Macbook), only the RAW files show. Yet in the past with an old x100 it would also show the jpgs too. Any reasons why they show in camera but not in LR?

You need to go into LR prefs and tick the box that says treat jpegs as separate files to raw I think it is. That should do the trick.

These Fuji cashback offers are excellent.
Xpro1 with 18mm lens = £949 at Clifton Cameras
60mm lens =free by redemption
Book of discount vouchers with xpro1 giving £40 off 35mm =£389
£100 off 35mm lens via Fuji, making lens £289
So - £1258 in total for xpro1, 18mm,35mm and 60mm
£1258 is a steal for that lot!

These Fuji cashback offers are excellent.
Xpro1 with 18mm lens = £949 at Clifton Cameras
60mm lens =free by redemption
Book of discount vouchers with xpro1 giving £40 off 35mm =£389
£100 off 35mm lens via Fuji, making lens £289
So - £1258 in total for xpro1, 18mm,35mm and 60mm
£1258 is a steal for that lot!

You are correct there, its a very good deal indeed. Where do you get this book of discount vouchers? I didn't get one with my Xpro1 from Wex.

Anyone have the XF 55-200 lens for their X-Pro1? If so any good? I keep considering it. I know it won't be DSLR quick but is it still pretty usable for things such as nature, wildlife etc?

Hi, I use one of these with my X-E1 and have found it to be a superb lens in every respect. It is very marginally slower to focus than my D800 with a similar lens but is definately not sluggish. Optically it is as good as anything I have used in that or similar focal length with my Nikon outfit. You would not be dissapointed with this lens.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I use one of these with my X-E1 and have found it to be a superb lens in every respect. It is very marginally slower to focus than my D800 with a similar lens but is definately not sluggish. Optically it is as good as anything I have used in that or similar focal length with my Nikon outfit. You would not be dissapointed with this lens.

Hope this helps.

Excellent, that's good to hear.

I have seen some shots people have got with it and it looks very crisp.
It was the AF aspect what concerned me however from stuff I have read I think it's improved greatly from the firmware update.
I do love the colour out of the box from the Fujis.
The Nikon D7K I shoot with never looks as good in my eyes.

You are correct there, its a very good deal indeed. Where do you get this book of discount vouchers? I didn't get one with my Xpro1 from Wex.

It was included in the box from Clifton Cameras. Vouchers expire Dec 2014. Its a Fujifilm booklet so would have thought all dealers have them.

I got one with mine,brought from my local LCE

Just found my book end Dec 2013,so i think i will go for the 60mm,£40 voucher + the £100 cashback

Last edited:
Anyone have the XF 55-200 lens for their X-Pro1? If so any good? I keep considering it. I know it won't be DSLR quick but is it still pretty usable for things such as nature, wildlife etc?

I also have an XE-2,just done the firmware upgrade for the 55-200mm,now it is very quick :)

I got a booklet from Clifton too.

I'm not sure if the vouchers are usable on top of cash back without looking at the terms.
Sometimes they say that it can't be claimed with any other offer etc.
If you can though, this is very appealing.

Last edited:
I picked up my Pro on Friday... anyone here tried to claim the free lens straight away rather than wait 14 days... too impatient!

I got a booklet from Clifton too.

I'm not sure if the vouchers are usable on top of cash back without looking at the terms.
Sometimes they say that it can't be claimed with any other offer etc.
If you can though, this is very appealing.

I was told by the woman who dealt with my 35mm purchase that Fuji will honour the £100 cashback along with the £40 off.

I picked up my Pro on Friday... anyone here tried to claim the free lens straight away rather than wait 14 days... too impatient!

I went for the last deal the X-pro 35mm + 18mm free,i was told by my dealer not to sent it in before the 14 days were up,or i could lose out on the deal their have been a lot of fraudulent claims in the pass,and now they are very strict on the claims.

:)

Nice one! Handy to know.

Shame there's no cash back on the 55-200. The 60mm looks good though but I can't decide whether this is close enough for macro so I have dismissed it until seeing it in this offer.

Same here,but it does make a nice portrait as well :)

I went for the last deal the X-pro 35mm + 18mm free,i was told by my dealer not to sent it in before the 14 days were up,or i could lose out on the deal their have been a lot of fraudulent claims in the pass,and now they are very strict on the claims.

:)

That is most annoying! It will be the lens I use the most!

I had the 60mm a while, wouldnt advise anyone to get it as a portrait lens but rather as a macro as its intended (unless you need the reach or are doing tight head shots), the 35mm is just as sharp wide open but focuses much faster.

Last edited:
Mmmm. I thought the 60 was a lovely portrait lens. Slow to focus but if you are doing posed portraits that isn't an issue. The 35mm is lovely but the 60 gives a nice working distance (for me, at least) and has the advantage you can get in close for detail shots of eyes without hitting a minimum focus distance or changing lens. Damien Lovegrove has some cracking portrait shots from the 60mm. Then again, he has cracking shots with every lens...

I swapped my 60 for the 18-55 zoom but regret that. I'd swap back at a moment's notice (or hang on for the promised 56mm)

Id rather hang on for the 56mm. Suppose I should have really said posed portraits but I implied it with the focus comment.

I going to see how it preform with the new firmware upgrade today,the 56mm does look nice but for the amount times i will use it maybe to pricey :rolleyes:

I when for the 60mm with the updated firmware,the focusing was really good plus £100 cash back & £40 voucher,made it a good deal :)

If anyone is in any doubt, get one!! First impressions are excellent, great to use. JPG with only the slightest tweak in LR with the 18mm.

10969707376_d116a1d6a3_z.jpg
10969806464_8e409f5052_z.jpg

I had the 60mm a while, wouldnt advise anyone to get it as a portrait lens but rather as a macro as its intended (unless you need the reach or are doing tight head shots), the 35mm is just as sharp wide open but focuses much faster.

The 60mm is much improved since the latest firmware update, its also worth bearing in mind that as it has no focal range limiter it has to cycle through a huge focus range when obtaining focus, hence it wont be as fast as the 35mm.

It is however sharper, in fact its the sharpest of the fuji's with edge to edge sharpness too.

I've never had an issue with it for portraits, certainly fast enough to focus and delivers the goods in low light too.

The 60mm is much improved since the latest firmware update, its also worth bearing in mind that as it has no focal range limiter it has to cycle through a huge focus range when obtaining focus, hence it wont be as fast as the 35mm.

It is however sharper, in fact its the sharpest of the fuji's with edge to edge sharpness too.

I've never had an issue with it for portraits, certainly fast enough to focus and delivers the goods in low light too.

Yes, I realise its not as fast as the 35mm because its a macro by design. I never noticed much difference in sharpness at all but then Im not overly bothered by ultimate edge sharpness in the portraits I take. Im glad it works for you, just didnt for me.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting blog post if anyone's looking to re-affirm their decision to buying an X-Pro1! :D

http://www.oscarsson.dk/blog/

I like what he's saying and I've been saying similar myself for most of the year so far.

People pick up the X-Pro1 with all kinds of preconceptions about how it should behave, many coming straight from DSLR's that are now at the point where all you have to do is compose the shot, if you choose the camera will do all the rest and more for you, others think its a poor mans Leica when in fact its a unique concept and one that works extremely well.

The X-pro1 doesn't have those levels of automation,its a camera that requires input and thought from the photographer to get the best out of it, that was how it was designed and its with that input that it really shines.

Its that fact that's left some disappointed with it and I'll freely admit that it sometimes drives me nuts that users on fuji forums can't see that if they use the available modes correctly, ie choose the right mode for the situation/shot, it wont let them down.

one such is wanting a min shutter speed setting for auto ISO, well you know its already there, its called Shutter priority mode, you can still use auto ISO and a too slow shutter speed is no longer an issue, then the reply comes back "but I want a specific aperture too", easy, use manual mode choose both and let the auto ISO balance the exposure for you.
The next cry is usually for exp comp but in manual mode you cant have exp comp and auto ISO as what ever you set the shutter speed at or the aperture auto ISO will balance the exposure so you have to move to manual ISO and compensate using either shutter speed or aperture.
These are all things us older users grew up with as most of our camera's only had manual settings, AV mode was a luxury new fangled feature as was Program mode when that came out.

I always wondered why colleges taught using old manual film camera's. now I realise its because a student needs a good grounding on how to control exposures without all the bells & whistles.

Automated modes are great, automation in general can be a good thing but they shouldn't become a routine thats your "go to" it should be a case of evaluate what your trying to achieve and choose the right mode to get the shot you desire.

Nearly 10 months on I'm still loving mine and can only think of one thing I want that it hasn't got.... and external ISO control as on the Nikon DF, then I could change all my exposure settings on the fly without having to turn the camera on or raise it to my eye.

X-Pro2?? well it would have to offer something much more significant than the upgrades the X-E2 has to even peak my interest.
I'm happy with what I have and exactly how it is now.

New update to version 3.10 coming 5th December for XPro1. This makes the recent £949 for body + 2 lenses an even more amazing deal.

Amongst other improvements the minimum shutter speed with auto iso seems to have been implemented - at last :)

This is an interesting quote from the page.

"The X-Pro1 is set to continue as the company’s flagship X series model, and Fujifilm is striving to keep the level of technology offered on this product as up to date as possible so that purchasers of the X-Pro1 will have greater longevity of use."

Maybe Xpro2 is much further away than people would like to believe...

Fuji keeps on giving!

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131128_03.html

Last edited:
I've had my X100 since not long after release and with the latest firmware on it, it's like a different camera compared to the original firmware.

Having only recently purchased the X-Pro1 i've not had the chance to compare with release firmware but it's impressive that Fuji keep supporting their models even after a replacement model comes out, lets hope they do this with the X-Pro1 like they did with the X100 .

New update to version 3.10 coming 5th December for XPro1. This makes the recent £949 for body + 2 lenses an even more amazing deal.

Amongst other improvements the minimum shutter speed with auto iso seems to have been implemented - at last :)

This is an interesting quote from the page.

"The X-Pro1 is set to continue as the company’s flagship X series model, and Fujifilm is striving to keep the level of technology offered on this product as up to date as possible so that purchasers of the X-Pro1 will have greater longevity of use."

Maybe Xpro2 is much further away than people would like to believe...

Fuji keeps on giving!

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131128_03.html

I saw that about the X-Pro1 too. I spoke to a Fuji rep not that long ago at the Bennetts hi-tech show in October about the potential of an X-Pro2 and he said it was all rumour and that there would be no X-Pro2 next year.
I thought that he would probably say that being a rep and wanting to sell, however he then told me about the X-Pro1 offer which began in November prior to it starting so it's not like he was wanting a sale that day.

Wait and see on that one. It looks like it could happen as they are clearly pushing the promotions. I am more than happy with the X-Pro1 and the original X100.

Back