The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Basic settings are as follows.

Speed. 1/125
Aperture. F/5.6
ISO 1000 (auto)...???
Length 27.7mm

Even in daylight on auto ISO the camera at 1/125 is shooting at ISO1000. Seems high to me!

Yes, Single Point AF, centred... focussed on his right eye as we're looking at him. The post behind his ear is in sharp focus, as is the fur coat, and the potatoes on the table.

Back focussing? I thought I had read somewhere that Fuji's due to their construction and AF detection system were not subject to these type of issues.

Recently got one and I too have had a few pics like that. Had a classic one today but the next was spot on. I thought it was as I was using optical finder and the focus square is bigger than the eye, so it could focus on something else in the square. Luckily, only a couple were like that (and I get the odd one or two with the dslr too).

Basic settings are as follows.

Speed. 1/125
Aperture. F/5.6
ISO 1000 (auto)...???
Length 27.7mm

Even in daylight on auto ISO the camera at 1/125 is shooting at ISO1000. Seems high to me!

I would switch of auto iso (y)

If you look at the photo from the hot-dog leading up to the eyes,you can see out of focus to just coming into focus at the eyes,this i think is due to DOF,then just to the left in the photo the ladies coat,which is the most central point is in focus.
I think its down to the single focusing spot you were using, picking up the most central point in the photo,sometimes it can be very hard to keep the one spot focus on the eyes,any slight movement can take the eyes out of focus.
To check how good your camera is with spot focus try practicing on static subject,that you have complete control over :)

Thanks Simon, appreciate your reply. I think I will turn auto ISO off even though everything I've read seems to tell me to just set and leave. It seems to almost always default to the highest setting in my (limited) experience.

As far as focussing goes, I guess I just need to open up the focus more to get a better DOF. F/5.6 to me is quite wide, but I guess for others it isn't. What I see is the coat, and articles behind the eyes (table etc) in focus. For subjects like this I always focus on the eyes which is why I'm a bit pained at present.

But it is a learning curve - I've just read about using the EF/EL button and manual focussing and like that. I always used the back focus button on my Canon, so will give that a try.

Quite surprised to be honest, doesnt seem like you did anything wrong imo. Settings and technique sound fine, light also looks fine. F5.6 is plenty of DOF esp on an APSC. I will say the Fujis arent the best for AF but I am surprised with that shot in that light.

Last edited:
How large is the focus box? From memory, I think you can adjust the size of the box. I have mine set as small as possible but that can lead to there being insufficient contrast inside the focus area and it hunts. Set it too large and (I think) the camera finds the point of greatest contrast within the box. Might it be one of these problems?

I don't think you need to stop down more (if that is what you mean by "open up the focus"). Almost all my shots would be at f/1.4-4 and getting accurate focus isn't ever a problem

The focus box is as small as it can go...

Here's another with a similar issue... Focus point would have been the eye, yet under the eye (pop stud on the coat, and zipper is sharper).

DSCF4033
by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

Amazingly, even in reasonably good conditions, the auto ISO has set itself at 1600!

Exposure0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length24.3 mm
ISO Speed1600

I think your using an to small focusing box,try one that larger and cover the whole face and let your dof bring the eyes into focus, and don't forget the eye is made up of moving liquid,so cans and zipper stud do take on an extra sharpness,if even a little bit out with your focusing :)

Quite surprised to be honest, doesnt seem like you did anything wrong imo. Settings and technique sound fine, light also looks fine. F5.6 is plenty of DOF esp on an APSC. I will say the Fujis arent the best for AF but I am surprised with that shot in that light.

The AF has improved a lot with the update,and some more coming on 19th dec :)

I know it improved but its still not comparable to other mirrorless cameras. Good sensor, not so good AF.

I cant see much wrong with the last image, but it is small. Larger viewable file would help.

I know it improved but its still not comparable to other mirrorless cameras. Good sensor, not so good AF.

Tried a few,since giving up DSLR :eek:,i think the big thing with the AF was tracking a subject,got an XE-2 as well which is up their now :)

Id like to try an XE2, the XE1 wasnt as good as other M43 or the A7 Im using now. The zooms may be quicker but the primes were slow to find focus in more 'interesting' light.

Are you focussing and recomposing or moving the AF selector? I read that Fuji lenses have a flat field of focus (probably not the right term) so that if you focus with the centre point at, say, 10ft away, the edge of the frame may in fact be be focused 12ft away. When you focus and recompose this can cause errors, apparently. I've never noticed this though I almost always focus and recompose.

Here's a link to both images on Flickr, where for anyone interested can view full sized images.

Neither were focus-recomposed, but other images I've tried this on have I found issues with.
The focus box was the smallest it could be, for future I'll try and increase the size of this.
Both images were focussed on the eye part of the face, which I've always presumed was where one should focus for portraits.

Finally, as nice as images as they are, the issue remains that the focus point isn't where it was supposed to be, ie on the facial area, which has thrown that OOF... that's what I don't understand about this.... What I'm unsure of is if this could be user error or camera error. Other images I shot that day are fine, and sharp as...

DSCF4049_FS

DSCF4033_FS

As you say other shots are fine, could be AF missing, could be user error, neither you or the the camera will get every shot perfectly focused every time.

All shots wouldve been OOF if it was a faulty camera.

As you say other shots are fine, could be AF missing, could be user error, neither you or the the camera will get every shot perfectly focused every time.

Yep agree its just not possible to get every shot perfectly focused every time :)

A trick I learnt with the X100 is button mashing, instead of half press waiting for beep then fire, just push the shutter down all the way, after a while you get used to the timing and it works pretty well. Shaves a fraction off AF time but every bit helps with the Fujis.

It could be something loose that is sometimes OK, sometimes not. Or maybe a lens fault at a certain focus distance due to a focus heiix fault.

Certain distance perhaps but the two posted samples are at massively different distances. Like I said on previous pages, static tests would help.

Last edited:
Are you using the optical viewfinder? If so, did you account for parallax before you focussed? If not, the position of the focus point in the viewfinder won't correspond to what the sensor is seeing - all these shots look to be at quite close range.

By any chance where you using the OVF to compose and take the shot and do you have corrected AF frame enabled?

The "issue" with the above is that as the OVF has fixed focus its subject to parallax errors depending on subject distance, enabling corrected AF frame in the menu helps combat this by showing you the corrected AF frame.

These were both taken using the EVF. Strangely enough, one of the things that drew me to the X-Pro was the OVF but I actually rarely use it. With hindsight I could have possibly purchased the X-E1 and been quite comfortable with it!

Have you done all the firmware updates on both the body & len :)

Did you try an static test ?

Last edited:
Fiware is all up to date.

Not had chance to do static tests as yet. Works getting in the way at present. I have a couple of projects I need to get off the table before the Christmas break.

Nice, enjoy :)

Cheers! Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt your posts about the focussing. I have always taken the focus and recompose approach as others have mentioned. I know this isn't always doable however.

The XPro and X100 I found occasionally missed focus but this can easily happen. It would only be the odd 1 or 2 shots I found but the rest I would be really pleased with.
I would do static tests when you can and go from there. I know how annoying work can get in the way though.

Once you get used to some of the menu quirks etc it's a great camera and produces some great images out of the box

Hey its no worries. I'm sure it's just a case of me trying to get to grips with a completely different system as much as anything else.

It's much different to my old Canon set up which seemed to be just aim, fire, admire! :D

That's what I was asking. The X-E2 comes in black or silver but I don't think the X Pro1 does ?

Hey its no worries. I'm sure it's just a case of me trying to get to grips with a completely different system as much as anything else.

It's much different to my old Canon set up which seemed to be just aim, fire, admire! :D

It alway does take a while to get to used new setup,but you will get their keep at it :)

Back