The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

it's a good enough lens for the money, but I had a go with one on my D700, and the distortion was horrible.
It's a "moustache" shape distortion which was almost impossible to correct in Lightroom.
(This may have changed now, as there may be a lens profile available for it. I haven't looked, as I don't own the lens.)
Otherwise it was quite good. with very low CA, and quite good resolution.
It would be a good one for landscapes, but not IMHO for anything with straight lines in it.

Just my 2p's worth.

My attempts to get my small m42 collection working on my X-Pro1 seem doomed.. seller 1 dispatches a m42:FX adapter but it doesn't arrive, seller 2 (Fotodiox) sends me the dispatch confirmation and then emails to apologise that the confirmation is automatic and that it hasn't been sent but has gone on back order.. ..oh well, third time lucky I hope..

it's a good enough lens for the money, but I had a go with one on my D700, and the distortion was horrible.
It's a "moustache" shape distortion which was almost impossible to correct in Lightroom.
(This may have changed now, as there may be a lens profile available for it. I haven't looked, as I don't own the lens.)
Otherwise it was quite good. with very low CA, and quite good resolution.
It would be a good one for landscapes, but not IMHO for anything with straight lines in it.

Just my 2p's worth.

Which lens are you talking about?

Which lens are you talking about?

Sorry, should have made it clear, I am talking about the Samyang 14mm f2.8.
I actually have the Nikon fit Samyang 85mm f1.4, and for the money it is a stunning lens.
In fact I have today taken delivery of a Metabones Nikon F to Fuji x adapter, so I will have a play with the Samyang on my X Pro-1.

Sorry, should have made it clear, I am talking about the Samyang 14mm f2.8.
I actually have the Nikon fit Samyang 85mm f1.4, and for the money it is a stunning lens.
In fact I have today taken delivery of a Metabones Nikon F to Fuji x adapter, so I will have a play with the Samyang on my X Pro-1.

No worries :) I had the 85 on my pentax and it is indeed stunning. Would be interesting to see how the sharpness compares to the fuji 60

My attempts to get my small m42 collection working on my X-Pro1 seem doomed.. seller 1 dispatches a m42:FX adapter but it doesn't arrive, seller 2 (Fotodiox) sends me the dispatch confirmation and then emails to apologise that the confirmation is automatic and that it hasn't been sent but has gone on back order.. ..oh well, third time lucky I hope..

I had the same problem with Amazon / Fotodiox, claiming they were on a 6 week back order, including shipping. Same with SRB. I eventually ordered from these below through ebay. Paid a little extra compared to Asia sellers but I had the adapter in a couple of days.
The adapter is working fine and is a nice tight fit on the camera, which I believe can be a problem with some of the cheapies, from reading the Sony A7 thread.

http://camerapix.co.uk/index.php/le...ter-ring-xf-xc-fujifilm-x-pro1-x-e1-x-m1.html

I've bit the bullet and paid for the Kipon adapter. Amazon is usually trouble-free, but not it would seem when it comes to lens adapters.

My no-name QBM adapter came a while ago, a bit stiff at first it now seems perfect and holds my CZ 135/4 very securely.

Hi Adrian, I'd be interested to know how you get on with your X-Pro 1. I think @Strappy has one as well. I've been wondering about putting something up in the F&C forum as to what is a good digital camera for an all-manual film shooter? I don't have a DSLR, just a Fuji X10 which I love, but don't use much now. I've got used to my old Pentaxes all-manual lenses and exposure settings; the X10 works fine in P mode, but if you try A or M you're fiddling about changing aperture, shutter speed etc on daft little thumb wheels on the back. So I've been thinking about a bigger X, with dedicated shutter speed dials and aperture on the lenses like it should be. Needs to work very well in A mode, as part of the point of going digital is to get some automation for a change (when I want it) and concentrate on framing...

So what should it be? I like the OVF in the X10, apart from the complete lack of info there. I didn't like the EVF in the XE-1 when I panned it to get the right view. I do like smaller... and I quite like the idea of a tilting display, so wondering about the X-T1... but that's the MOST expensive!!! In fact I could buy a Mamiya 6 and a couple of fantastic lenses for that price (if I was allowed). Oh dear, decisions, decisions.

So, as a film shooter, how do you find the Fuji?

Chris, very early days at the moment and work is really invading my life presently!!! I have taken a few shots with the camera and the 18mm and my first reaction is that I can see a clear jump in IQ compared to my old X100 (which I loved, indeed was the only digital camera I kept when I went back to film). Camera handling is nice and it does feel even more like a film camera than the X100 did, reminds me of the Contax G series I used to use. I am planning a proper shoot at the weekend with just the 35mm f1.4 on the X-Pro1 and the Bessa L with my 15mm Heliar. I will do a fuller report after I have put a couple of 'Virtual' 36 exposure rolls thought it!

Thanks Adrian, very helpful, looking forward to hearing how you get on!

FYI.. the Fuji refurb shop has the XF55-200 on offer at £399.98 - link

This is the same price as the best retail price I can find minus the £150 of the two lens cash-back deal, without the expense of a second lens or the hassle of claiming the cash-back.

FYI.. the Fuji refurb shop has the XF55-200 on offer at £399.98 - link

This is the same price as the best retail price I can find minus the £150 of the two lens cash-back deal, without the expense of a second lens or the hassle of claiming the cash-back.

And includes a filter.

Anyone have any recommendations for decent third party batteries? There are loads on fleabay, most of them from China and Hong Kong.

Thanks, how do they compare to the originals?

They seem to last just as long to be fair. I purchased 4 of them shortly after getting the camera in November last year, 3 have been perfect and one would not charge at all so am in the process of having that one RMA. These things can happen I guess, they come with a 2 year warranty which is pretty good.

My Helios M42 58mm F2.0 has just turned up. Nice day here, so a first chance to have a play with M42 lenses in decent light..

Excellent service from the refurb shop, XF55-200 ordered yesterday lunchtime has just arrived. Immaculate condition, but I'll let it warm-up a bit from the van before testing.

Im planning on using some M39/LTM lenses, I need some M39 to LTM adapters for my lenses (Jupiter with leica registration not DSLR). They list various sizes though, I think 28-90mm, 35-70 etc etc. Anybody know the correct version? Thanks in advance

Excellent service from the refurb shop, XF55-200 ordered yesterday lunchtime has just arrived. Immaculate condition, but I'll let it warm-up a bit from the van before testing.

Keep an ear out for any hint of grinding when zooming out beyond 180mm, it's more than likely a sign of big problems to come.

Fuji Refurb has been great for me but I would be nervous buying a 55-200 given the issues I had previously, but hopefully they've ironed out that particular fault as it was pretty early days when I bought mine.

Keep an ear out for any hint of grinding when zooming out beyond 180mm, it's more than likely a sign of big problems to come.

Fuji Refurb has been great for me but I would be nervous buying a 55-200 given the issues I had previously, but hopefully they've ironed out that particular fault as it was pretty early days when I bought mine.

When did you purchase yours? I am looking to buy one along with a 35mm next week (Fuji 2 lens purchase) providing my 60mm Macro has sold.

Let me know how you get on with the lens. I want it just for general shooting, only fast moving thing will be my dog.

Last edited:
Question for those using legacy lenses

Is it literally just a case of buying an adaptor (Kipon or equivalent) then mounting the lens and manual focusing via the EVF? Excuse my ignorance, I was just wondering how it all works when adapting these old school lenses for mirrorless as I have never done it before.

I have a Jupiter 8 50mm f2 on my Bessa which I wouldn't mind giving a go and looking on eBay there is loads of different lens options you can have for very little ££s.

Have seen peoples shots with legacy glass and there is some nice return.

Question for those using legacy lenses

Is it literally just a case of buying an adaptor (Kipon or equivalent) then mounting the lens and manual focusing via the EVF? Excuse my ignorance, I was just wondering how it all works when adapting these old school lenses for mirrorless as I have never done it before.

I have a Jupiter 8 50mm f2 on my Bessa which I wouldn't mind giving a go and looking on eBay there is loads of different lens options you can have for very little ££s.

Have seen peoples shots with legacy glass and there is some nice return.

Yep that sums it up. This is the one I got for some M42 lenses I had. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281244790019?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Just use manual focus and use the evf zoom.

An idea to remind me of the hyperfocal distances that I've shamelessly copied from Fujix for my X-Pro1 to make-up for the rather useless focus range bars in the HUD..

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.ph...e-focussing-tip-if-you-have-the-case/?p=77393

Hyperfocal only really applies to my 18mm and 35mm, but the idea can be adapted to any lenses you care to choose. There's room on the bottom of the Gariz half-case for a three column table (aperture and two lenses of choice) with each column 5mm wide. At that size I can still get a font size that I can read quite easily.

When did you purchase yours? I am looking to buy one along with a 35mm next week (Fuji 2 lens purchase) providing my 60mm Macro has sold.

I had one of the first in the UK back in May last year. It broke, went back to Fuji for repair, then broke again. I'm probably a heavier user than most as I shoot motorsport, but it was very well cared for and always used in the dry etc. There were numerous reports of similar breakages but I think they've calmed down now.

Adapter Warning.

I have been trying out my M42 lenses today, using the adapter mentioned by myself earlier in this thread. Whilst using the Helios lens which I had delivered today, the lens started moving in adapter, I re-tightened and the lens starting moving again shortly afterwards. I conversed with the company who I purchased adapter from and they advised to look at the thread and grub screws holding the M42 connection to see if there was any damage.
After removing the M42 part of adapter I noticed that the grub screws weren't pointed and were flat which was causing for lens slipping (the grubs should be pointed like self tappers in my opinion) but my biggest concern was that there was some swarf from where the grub screws had been trying to tighten onto the M42 part of adapter. This part is aluminium.

For people who have no experience of these adapters. The Adapter is basically in two parts, the M42 part which connects to old lens and the main adapter which connects to body. The M42 part is loose to enable you to line up the lens to the body. This part is then tightened up with the grub screws to hold into position.

I have had a refund from the company and will look to purchase a Kippon adapter, which is hopefully better design and quality. I may have had a faulty adapter and perhaps it's a one off. I spent most of the afternoon cleaning my camera, just in-case. I have tried a few F22 shots and the sensor seems clean.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to warn other legacy glass/adapter users.

PS. I had only used the adapter a couple of times due to the poor weather we have had.

Last edited:
Adapter Warning.

I have been trying out my M42 lenses today, using the adapter mentioned by myself earlier in this thread. Whilst using the Helios lens which I had delivered today, the lens started moving in adapter, I re-tightened and the lens starting moving again shortly afterwards. I conversed with the company who I purchased adapter from and they advised to look at the thread and grub screws holding the M42 connection to see if there was any damage.
After removing the M42 part of adapter I noticed that the grub screws weren't pointed and were flat which was causing for lens slipping (the grubs should be pointed like self tappers in my opinion) but my biggest concern was that there was some swarf from where the grub screws had been trying to tighten onto the M42 part of adapter. This part is aluminium.

For people who have no experience of these adapters. The Adapter is basically in two parts, the M42 part which connects to old lens and the main adapter which connects to body. The M42 part is loose to enable you to line up the lens to the body. This part is then tightened up with the grub screws to hold into position.

I have had a refund from the company and will look to purchase a Kippon adapter, which is hopefully better design and quality. I may have had a faulty adapter and perhaps it's a one off. I spent most of the afternoon cleaning my camera. I have tried a few F22 shots and the sensor seems clean.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to warn other legacy glass/adapter users.

Cheers for the heads up. I haven't ordered one yet but will probably order the Kipon. It's a little bit more - £10 or £15 more or something I think but I have read a few reviews of people using Kippon with no probs.

I think the L39 ones are one part anyway which is the one I am after but something to bare in mind if I pick up any M42 lenses.

My X-pro1 arrived month ago and in that time I have completely, an utterly, fallen in love! After the first four or five days of reading the manual (now, THERE'S a first!) reading advice on here and across the web, I took it on a job to photograph a charity concert. I took one of my Canon DSLRs along with me but it spent most of the night in the bag - and it's pretty much remained like that all month. I'm loving my photography and the X-Pro1 has a huge part to play in that! I've shot portraits, a pre-wedding shoot, some events and lots of family snaps as I try out different settings. Despite my initial concerns that all the hype about jpegs straight from the camera, I have been really surprised to find out that its not hype. I'm shooting in RAW & Fine with jpegs being supplied for any colour shots and the RAW files being used for my b&w conversions. Mostly, I've used the 18mm and 35mm (particularly the 35 - I adore this wee lens) although my 60mm macro arrived a couple of days ago, so the Fuji Trinity is now complete
smile.png
Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of my favourite shots form my first month with it.

This one is a colour shot, straight from the camera RAW exported as a jpeg from LR5

Me too! Good stuff loving the B&W's.

Just a heads up if you are looking for battery storage these fit two X-Pro 1 batteries perfectly and are around £8.00 each from stockists

11265647223_45b9c58203_b.jpg

Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen?

When I enable focus lock the exposure compensation dial doesn't alter the exposure. In order to do so, I have to disable focus lock, use the dial and then enable focus lock again. It would be much, much better if I could use the ex comp dial while focus lock is enabled.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen?

When I enable focus lock the exposure compensation dial doesn't alter the exposure. In order to do so, I have to disable focus lock, use the dial and then enable focus lock again. It would be much, much better if I could use the ex comp dial while focus lock is enabled.
No you are quite correct it's the same on my camera.

Back