The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

the main thing I took from today was my surprise at how little I used the viewfinder. Maybe should have just got the XM? Still too early to say if I'm going to make a full switch to Fuji. One major advantage was that I went for a walk today with camera and 3 lenses and didn't notice I was carrying them!

the main thing I took from today was my surprise at how little I used the viewfinder. Maybe should have just got the XM? Still too early to say if I'm going to make a full switch to Fuji. One major advantage was that I went for a walk today with camera and 3 lenses and didn't notice I was carrying them!
I enjoy just putting the camera in my coat pocket every time I take the dog out. You need a small zoom like the 18-55 and you wont need to lug 3 lenses around.:)

My jacket camera is the X100, I may get the 55-200 zoom if I fully buy into the system and possibly the 10-24, probably the 60mm as my free lens and of course the 35mm is a must, might have to replace some flashguns and maybe a more compact tripod........................................................oh dear, oh dear

Hi all, I have been lurking on this thread for sometime. I am mainly a film shooter (but not a film evangalist, it is all about what works for individuals). I sold my Canon digital kit a couple of years ago and went back to film, although I kept my Fuji X100 which I loved and mainly used for indoor and low light work where film can be problematic.

I have taken much advice from reading this thread and took a punt on an X-Pro 1 as a replacement for the X100 as wanted to use a wider range of lenses. Based on comms in this thread I went for the Amazon deal of the camera with the18mm, £50 cash back voucher and plumped for the 60mm as the free lens.

I put the £50 voucher towards the 35mm f1.4 with the £100 cashback from Fuji I have secured a good digital outfit I think. I posted the X-Pro 1 receipt and claim form to fuji 14 days ago and the 60mm arrived today, far quicker than I expected. I now have the camera and three primes for a very reasonable outlay, ceratnly a big saving on prioces at the time of the cameras original launch. You won't be surpised why I really like the X-Pro1 given it handles in a very similar ways to my Nikon and Voigtlander film cameras. I am now setting about personalisingf the settings on the camera just as I did with the X100.

The main reason for posting this message was to say a big thanks to all on this thread as without eaves dropping on your discussions I feel would have missed the great deal I feel I have acheived on getting this outfit.

I've followed Kevin's set-up as a starting point as well.

I have now had a reply back from Fuji regarding the C-AF issue on Fuji zoom lenses.......
Thank you for your email.

We have tested these lenses using C-AF and confirm that they are slower to focus than the prime lenses although focusing can be achieved much less than 20 secs in most cases.

We will send a report regarding this issue to our design section in Japan for their consideration.

The quickest way to achieve focus and take a picture is to use S-AF . Just compose the picture and press the shutter button fully down to take the picture.

Regards

Make of that what you will.

I have had further communication from Fuji UK regarding the methods they used for tracking a moving subject following my query with them. This is their reply...

Thank you for your email.

We took repeated pictures of a person walking across the office and each of the recorded images showed the subject in focus. These images were captured with shutter speeds higher then 1/125th to avoid camera shake.

We used three methods to capture these images;
1. In CAF, we composed, half pressed shutter button to lock focus and then fully pressed shutter button
2. In SAF, we composed and then pressed the shutter button all the way in - no half press
3. In MAF, we 'zone focussed' meaning we set our required focus distance first and used a small aperture (large number) to ensure extensive depth of field.

NB; all three options will work with XF18-55mm but in the case of XF55-200, the longer your focal length, the depth of field will be quite limited.

Please note if you are just following the moving subject without taking a picture, the subject may not always appear to be in focus due to the fact that the continuous auto focus does not lock until the shutter button is depressed.

Picked up my Xpro1 today - many thanks to the good folk at Digital Depot for letting me have a play and compare against other models!

Now need to decide on which freebie lens to request. As a portrait tog, my instinct is to go for the 60mm but am open to other thoughts.

Cheers

Spooks

Picked up my Xpro1 today - many thanks to the good folk at Digital Depot for letting me have a play and compare against other models!

Now need to decide on which freebie lens to request. As a portrait tog, my instinct is to go for the 60mm but am open to other thoughts.

Cheers

Spooks

I am also interested in this, currently 35mm is top of the list, it was the 60mm but read somewhere that AF is slow compared to others, although for staged portraits this wouldn't be a problem..mmm 2 weeks to decide so plenty of time.

Please note if you are just following the moving subject without taking a picture, the subject may not always appear to be in focus due to the fact that the continuous auto focus does not lock until the shutter button is depressed.

Good stuff, exactly how I've been shooting very fast objects, so I'm pleased that they've also said that this is the most efficient (or only!) method.

Cheers

Spooks

35mm is a brilliant lens.

Received my free 60mm today, I only phoned yesterday to make sure they had my claim form.

I have sold my 18mm (I have the 16-50mm to cover me on the wide) and I am thinking of selling the 60mm, I haven't opened the packaging yet. I am now thinking of buying the 35mm and 55-200mm zoom with the current cash back of £300.00 for two lens purchase.

Provided I have worked my figures out correctly, the package of body, 35mm & 55-200mm will have cost me £967.00, how do you guys think this sounds.

I will have the 35mm for my general walkabout & footy, the 16-50mm for the wide and the 55-200mm for the long. Due to my disabilities the OIS in the zooms seems to be better for me, although I had a lot of keepers with the 18mm after purchasing the grip. I have a M42 -Fuji adapter and possibly I could buy a macro lens in this fitting, as it's something I want to try.

Any thoughts on the above and how good is the 55-200mm for general wildlife/dog shots.

Last edited:
Further question:

How is the macro when using the 35mm lens. Mike posted a pic with the 18mm lens which was very good and enough for my needs. I need some macro for ebaying (labels) and I have a load of coins which need photographing.

Further question:

How is the macro when using the 35mm lens. Mike posted a pic with the 18mm lens which was very good and enough for my needs. I need some macro for ebaying (labels) and I have a load of coins which need photographing.
I don't have my 35mm yet Simon otherwise I would do some test shots for you, but they will be like or better than the 18mm ones I posted. Have a go with your 16-50 at 35mm on Macro mode and see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Further question:

I find the 35mm pretty decent for close-up stuff, this is probably the best sample I have...

Longleat
by Harry_S, on Flickr

I don't have my 35mm yet Simon otherwise I would do some test shots for you, but they will be like or better than the 18mm ones I posted. Have a go with your 16-50 at 35mm on Macro mode and see what you come up with.

Hi Mike & Chris,
Thanks for the replies. I should have said, I have tried the 16-50 and it's poor in macro mode. Nothing compared to your earlier shot and miles away from Chris's shot above.

Hello peep's
thinking of buying an X Pro 1 ..or at least placing an order from Amazon (stock permitting) ... and taking advantage of the free lens offer' .. i have a Canon 5D3 with various L glass but i'm attracted to the portability of the Fuji
would i be benefiting a great deal by buying into this system as purely a street/portrait camera etc?
now i know i only have about 5ish hours to make up my mind and click to buy lol!

i'm trying to fight the urge and have been for a few weeks now' do u guys think i will be better off waiting for the X-2 (if one comes along soon) .. or even buying a X-1 pro at the NEC tog show in a few weeks time :confused:

love to hear a few views before i swig a few more glasses of vino and press the buy-now-button

Hello peep's
thinking of buying an X Pro 1 ..or at least placing an order from Amazon (stock permitting) ... and taking advantage of the free lens offer' .. i have a Canon 5D3 with various L glass but i'm attracted to the portability of the Fuji
would i be benefiting a great deal by buying into this system as purely a street/portrait camera etc?
now i know i only have about 5ish hours to make up my mind and click to buy lol!

i'm trying to fight the urge and have been for a few weeks now' do u guys think i will be better off waiting for the X-2 (if one comes along soon) .. or even buying a X-1 pro at the NEC tog show in a few weeks time :confused:

love to hear a few views before i swig a few more glasses of vino and press the buy-now-button
The offer has been extended by a month. You'll find the Cameraworld link a few posts above....

thank's Mike! ... do you guys (in general) still shoot with DSLR's as well as these?

thank's Mike! ... do you guys (in general) still shoot with DSLR's as well as these?
I sold all my Nikon stuff, D700, 70-200 VR, 24-70, 16-35, to come over to Fuji X system. The only reason was portability of equipment. I found that I was using every excuse not to lug heavy camera equipment around. Now I can slip the camera in my coat pocket and the results are as good if not better in most cases. You just have to get round the fact that SLR's are a fraction quicker to focus (and I mean a fraction). There are of course a few other subtleties but these are easy to overcome.

Portability is a big plus, I used to use 2 systems ff dslr and csc. I found I was eventually taking my csc cameras out more often than my dslrs, the dslr and fast lenses became a shlep tbh.

Fujis have very good iso performance, fantastic awb and are good value but tbh if you rely on fast accurate AF steer clear. Single AF is okay but continuous kinda sucks. I went back and forth with a few systems and eventually decided that it's better to have a camera with me most of the time than one that I use less frequently but nails the shot pretty much every time and weighs a ton.

The 5d3 will outperform the fuji in every sense, except portability. If I were you I'd run the 2 alongside for a week and then decide if you can live with its quirks.

Last edited:
I am also interested in this, currently 35mm is top of the list, it was the 60mm but read somewhere that AF is slow compared to others, although for staged portraits this wouldn't be a problem..mmm 2 weeks to decide so plenty of time.

The 60mm is a bit slow in AF,but i am going to keep mine as it does come in useful as a portrait lens,my fav lens are the 18-55 23 & 35mm :)

Hello peep's

I wouldn't worry about the X2 for a while,the X-1 pro does make a nice street camera :)

Sold it all, really don't miss it at all really, despite shooting subjects which aren't theoretically very easy with the little Fujis.

I'll keep my 40D plus two favoured AF lenses and sell the rest now I've got my -Pro1. I'll use the 40D as a body I don't mind getting filthy when I visit the banger racing.

Sold it all, really don't miss it at all really, despite shooting subjects which aren't theoretically very easy with the little Fujis.

might be tempted ... love to do a bit more street and portrait stuff

Last edited:
My 60mm arrived the other day but it's faulty :(

The aperture dial can move beyond F2.4 slightly before it stops rotating and when it does it goes into auto mode. If I twist it back ever so slightly it's once again in Av mode.

Couple of photos today using the 16-50mm SOOC and sitting in car as weather was to bad. Photos taken at Mumbles.

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599258@N06/12250423275/lightbox/player/" width="320" height="213" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95599258@N06/12251001946/in/photostream/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers

Spooks

I have both the 35 & 60mm and shoot many portraits and the 60mm is excellent and I will keep it until the 56mm comes down in price, I find focus to be ok in studio conditions. The 35mm is probably my favourite lens, it's a tough choice but given you are into portraiture the 60mm would be my choice.

60mm is *Very* slow to focus on the X-E1. Anyone know if it improves any on the X-E2 (and by extension the X-T1)?

It's not a true macro lens either, which is a shame.

I got my X-Pro1 just before Xmas.....very happy!
I haven't been able to get out shooting as much as I would have liked, and I'm still a little way off getting the settings just as I want, but I know the Fuji system suits me.
I'm going to be keeping my D700 and pro lenses as I don't really see the Fuji as a DSLR replacement, more of a film camera replacement, if you like.
Love the size and portability and the great IQ!
Anyway, a few photos taken in London with the 35mm...great lens!

12150678844_7fbd083dde_b.jpg

London
by Mike Deacon | Photography, on Flickr

London

London by Mike Deacon | Photography, on Flickr

London

London

Last edited:
nice, clean shots there michael

Nice pics. The 35mm is a great lens :)

I took the 14mm out today. Has taken me a little while to get used to the perspective but it's a cracking lens as I said a few posts above. I shot RAW + JPEG Fine today.

To be honest I am not 100% on raw. I can definitely see it's benefits. I shoot RAW with a 5D and the conversion process on that seems spot on however on the XPro it seems hit and miss.
CS6 doesn't seem to have any lens corrections for the X system and I have found a lot of the XPro RAW files to have noticeable vignetting. Anyone else have this? I have updated it but still no joy.
The JPEGs are pretty decent to be fair so I may just stick to JPEG most of the time.

DSCF6189resized.jpg

Back