The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Hi Simon, the car is my classic 1976 BMW 2002.
I was going to get the 23mm but I have to tell you I am so impressed with the 35mm and the 18-55 I may not bother. I read a blog somewhere the other day which compared the IQ at 23 mm on the 18-55 against the actual 23mm lens and to be honest there wasn't that much in it.

Only catch is the 18-55 is at F3.2 at 23mm and the 23mm will be at F1.4, from what I read the 18-55 is as sharp as the X100s 23mm, ime testing both alongside the 23mm is quite a lot sharper at F1.4 than the x100 and x100s are at f2.

Only catch is the 18-55 is at F3.2 at 23mm and the 23mm will be at F1.4, from what I read the 18-55 is as sharp as the X100s 23mm, ime testing both alongside the 23mm is quite a lot sharper at F1.4 than the x100 and x100s are at f2.
Good point. The only saving grace for the 18-55 at f 3.2 is the OIS.

Hi Simon, the car is my classic 1976 BMW 2002.
I was going to get the 23mm but I have to tell you I am so impressed with the 35mm and the 18-55 I may not bother. I read a blog somewhere the other day which compared the IQ at 23 mm on the 18-55 against the actual 23mm lens and to be honest there wasn't that much in it. The 35mm is incredible at low light, much much better than my 14mm which of course is only f2.8.

I see what you mean about the bright EVF. Maybe you could rig up a filter for the eyepiece out of an old pair of sunglasses which you could slip over the eyepiece to cut the glare?

Good shout about the glare solution, it's got me thinking. I believe you can buy new Diopeters (spl) from Fuji for the camera with the relevant adjustment, i.e +1. I will see how my eye test goes and mention to Optician about Diopeters and buy the correct one, I will then see if they can put a coating on the Diopeter. Maybe a solution????

I understand what you mean with the Fuji zoom, as mentioned, the IQ from the 55-200 is excellent. As you may know I am new to photography and its far superior to the 70 -300VC & VR Lenses I had from Tamron & Nikon. There are people comapring it to pro glass.

I must also say that from the little use I have had from the 16-50 the IQ has not disapointed me one little bit and considering it only cost £103.00. I dont think Fuji make a bad lens.

Last edited:
I have just tried mine and there is slight play when lens is mounted, but nothing of note when altering the zoom. The zoom ring on mine is firm, as in new, and will probably lossen up with use?

If I remeber, Chris, AKA UKASKEW had some problems with his zoom clunking and it was from a early batch when the lens first came out. PM him and he may be a ble to help and advise.
I don't think it's the zoom so much as the mount on the camera as the 18mm has some play as well. I'm going to give Fuji support a call today and see what their take on it is.
Loving the lens though, I'm looking forward to the Ireland Italy
I had the 55-200 and I did notice a small amount of movement (as there seems to be with all the lenses) but I cannot recall any clunk when zooming out. As the OP suggests, a phone call to Fuji might put his mind at rest.

How are you getting on with things Simon now that you have all your kit sorted? What's your favourite lens?
The movement isn't on the lens mount, it seems to be the camera as the 18mm also moves slightly, I'm gonna give Fuji a bell today and see what they have to say about it.

I decided just to go ahead and order the one on Ebay. By the time I would have dithered and then ordered elsewhere this one will probably be here. And I'll save a few pounds with this one.

Rather impressed with my purchase from Rainbowstore. It was around 5PM last Tuesday that I ordered the grip from them on Ebay. Wednesday at 1.30 AM I got confirmation that it had been sent. By 9.30 AM I had a link to track the progress and the grip arrived this morning. :banana:

All for £40.20

View attachment 7036

I got mine this morning as well... It fits really well and definitely improves the handling!

By the way, I got a chance to pinch the 56mm f/1.2 yesterday for a short while... Now that is one impressive little lens (even wide open). :)

Thought i'd post as i've just joined the XPro1 clan.. A 5D3 shooter and don't plan to ditch that but just wanted a quality walkaround for so long.

Can't wait to get out and about with it.

But first i've got 46 pages to read on here :)

be interested to see what you think of it, as i'm just about to pull the trigger for one myself! .. 5D3 shooter here also..

Photoninja I've found does a better job and has embedded profiles for the X range of camera's and lenses.

That's interesting, I don't mind paying a bit for a better tool. Would you mind expanding a bit on what it does better? Does anyone else use Photo Ninja?

I need to re-jig the dividers in my Retrospective 7. My Ebay rear lens caps arrived last week, and I glued them back-to-back yesterday. That's made a significant improvement in using the space inside the bag with the 35mm on the body, the 18mm and 65mm back-to-back, plus the 55-200mm.

Fancy an official re-skin of your X-Pro1? - link, is this the service that Damien Lovegrove was hinting about a while ago on his blog?

Not sure if anyone mentioned that but there it's a good deal on pro now.
£799(or 749) for body with grip, battery and 18mm. And you can claim extra prime lens from fuji for free.

£799(or 749) for body with grip, battery and 18mm. And you can claim extra prime lens from fuji for free.

Where's this deal available from?

:fingersinearsgoinglalalalala!:

I don't want to know that I could have paid less for my XPro!!! Not that it really matters anyway, had I been unhappy with the system price, I wouldn't have spent what I did on it.

would love to know where?:whistle:;)

Thought i'd post as i've just joined the XPro1 clan.. A 5D3 shooter and don't plan to ditch that but just wanted a quality walkaround for so long.

Can't wait to get out and about with it.

But first i've got 46 pages to read on here :)

Ditto, a 5D MK 3 man and no plans to ditch it either, just received my XPro today, like you getting stuck into the manual.
Bought my package from Cameraworld, included grip, 16gb card, spare battery, and just sent off for the free 35mm lens.
Someone earlier in the thread was querying whether Cameraworld threw in some cheap extras, but the grip and battery is all boxed in Fuji boxes, and the card is a pro fast card, so pleased with that.
Ordered on Sunday, received this morning, free delivery, they told me the name of the courier, name of the driver and the hour slot it would be delivered in, so top marks for that.
Quick question (there will be more later!) just checked the firmware and the body is 2.01, looks like there have been a few since, do they all have to be downloaded, or will the latest one fix all?
Thanks

Ditto, a 5D MK 3 man and no plans to ditch it either, just received my XPro today, like you getting stuck into the manual.
Bought my package from Cameraworld, included grip, 16gb card, spare battery, and just sent off for the free 35mm lens.
Someone earlier in the thread was querying whether Cameraworld threw in some cheap extras, but the grip and battery is all boxed in Fuji boxes, and the card is a pro fast card, so pleased with that.
Ordered on Sunday, received this morning, free delivery, they told me the name of the courier, name of the driver and the hour slot it would be delivered in, so top marks for that.
Quick question (there will be more later!) just checked the firmware and the body is 2.01, looks like there have been a few since, do they all have to be downloaded, or will the latest one fix all?
Thanks
I believe you only need to download the latest to accumulate the lot.

Use the latest firmware, it will bring the camera up-to-speed. Remember to do the lens as well.

All the X-Pro1 bodies seem to be coming with older firmware unless they're refurbs - I haven't seen a serial number more recent than Q2 of 2012*, so they've got the firmware they had when they left the factory.

*from the first two digits of the serial number.. the first digit is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the second digit is the quarter of manufacture - so 22 is 2012, quarter 2. The letter that follows indicates the market it was made for, N is Europe.

RAW processing is better, especially highlights recovery.

Not to mention the fact that unlike lightroom it has both camera and lens profiles for the Fuji X range, including the new X-T1.

It's only downside is its a little more processor/ram hungry than CS5.5/lightroom but if you set the scratch disk to another physical disk it zooms along nicely.

Side by side it does a better job all round and I found it very easy to use, I've uninstalled lightroom and offered it to my brother, I'll stick with Photo ninja for raw processing.

If you have Lightroom, it's worth seeing what happens with the next incremental upgrade - better Fuji profiles have been promised.

I believe you only need to download the latest to accumulate the lot.

Thanks, since found this which confirms what you thought.
"Just the latest one for the body and your lenses.
Each firmware update is a complete package and overwrites all others."

My 14 day wait is almost over so I'm going to apply for my free lens today, I think I'll go for the 35mm or the 60mm can't make my mind up though, what's the better lens ? I was thinking the 35mm as a walkaround lens for holidays etc

My 14 day wait is almost over so I'm going to apply for my free lens today, I think I'll go for the 35mm or the 60mm can't make my mind up though, what's the better lens ? I was thinking the 35mm as a walkaround lens for holidays etc

35mm for me. The 60mm was so slow to focus in low light that I got rid of it after 1 day. However there are many on here that swear by it.

Just noticed the sample images with the 56 I posted were quite heavily underexposed, have done a quick level adjust and reattached.

Last edited:
35mm for me. The 60mm was so slow to focus in low light that I got rid of it after 1 day. However there are many on here that swear by it.

I'm one of those who would swear by it (60mm 2.4) , I have had one, sold it, regretted it and have recently purchased a new one with the great fuji offer available. With the latest firmware focusing really isn't slow at all (imo). What this lens has going for it is amazing IQ and lovely bokeh and it's versatility, great for close focusing and portraits alike. You really can't go wrong at the asking price.

It's just been pointed out to me that the motor noise and chirpy sound ( aperture blades) of the 35mm can be halved by removing the filter (If you are using one). It seems that the noise resonates against the filter like a drum. I have just tried removing mine and have to a admit that the difference is amazing!

Back