The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

First post here, so not sure I'm in the right place! I'm looking to buy the X Pro and a few questions if I may.
My main camera is a Canon 5d MK3 and I always shoot RAW, use PS CS5 and Lightroom 5, do I understand that I'll have problems with the RAW files from the Fuji?
Also thinking of using the current offer of a free lens and opting for the 35mm, any opinions on this lens or other available lens?
The Cameraworld deal looks good, any opinions or better deals out there?
Thanks

Just bought the X Pro 1 & 18mm for £899 with a 2 year warranty and the free lens offer. Only had it a couple of days, thought I'd install the latest firmware which appeared to go seamlessly, then I start to hear that 'chattering' noise from the lens. It wasn't there before I upgraded the firmware as I'd listened for it after reading about it online. Anyone else found this after the installing lens firmware v3.10?

Just bought the X Pro1 with the 18mm lens, I'll be applying for the 35mm free and have bought a mint 60mm macro for £260. Total outlay for the lot is £1160, a bargain considering the new prices only 12-18 months ago! I've got a Nikon D700, a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, a Sigma 70-300 macro and a 50mm f1.8 prime, it's all going in favour of the Fuji! I hope to easily cover the cost of the Fuji and more after I sell it all!

Last edited:
Has anyone been using a circ polariser with their 14mm lens, i havent had any time to test it out on mine when its not been raining
Do you get any uneven polarisation of the sky in the photos.
Off to Iceland tomorrow and dont want to screw up any photos by having the circ polariser fitted if it causes issues.

Also posted in the XE1 thread, but its busier in this thread

In some circumstances you will get banding:

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/polarizing-filter-wideangle-lens

14mm is wide and if the sun is coming from the "wrong" angle you will get uneven darkening just due to the laws of physics. I presume this is at least partially correctible in post production.

I have tried the digital polariser filter in Nik's products and I couldn't get colour effect anything like I see from an actual glass filter (and of course a digital filter isn't going to cut reflections etc).

Just bought the X Pro 1 & 18mm for £899 with a 2 year warranty and the free lens offer. Only had it a couple of days, thought I'd install the latest firmware which appeared to go seamlessly, then I start to hear that 'chattering' noise from the lens. It wasn't there before I upgraded the firmware as I'd listened for it after reading about it online. Anyone else found this after the installing lens firmware v3.10?

Have you upgraded the firmware for the lenses as well :)

Simon, chances are that you'll get some banding when shooting that wide with a polariser but I would still take it to cut reflections off water.

Have a great time in/on Iceland, hoping to be able to do the trip next year, possibly with the TP group if they're going again.

Been looking at the X Pro for a couple of days now, but just come across the FUJIFILM X-T1, and it's confusing me! ;) What are the main differences between the two cameras, I'm OK on Canon's, DSLR's, but Fuji is a whole new ball game for me!
Thanks.

Been looking at the X Pro for a couple of days now, but just come across the FUJIFILM X-T1, and it's confusing me! ;) What are the main differences between the two cameras, I'm OK on Canon's, DSLR's, but Fuji is a whole new ball game for me!
Thanks.

The biggest difference at the moment is price.. and a lot of the difference is the "new mode" premium on the X-T1.
  • The X-Pro1 has a dual optical/electronic viewfinder and is a rangefinder style body.
  • The X-T1 has electronic viewfinder only, but it's a larger and higher specification version, and is better optimised for autofocus tracking of moving targets. There are also some firmware optimisations in the X-T1 that aren't available in the X-Pro1. The body style is baby-SLR rather than rangefinder.
I bought the X-Pro1 at New Year, I haven't found reason to regret this since the X-T1 was announced/released. For the price of a new X-T1 body I bought a new X-Pro1 with three lenses. If you're new to the Fuji X-system that might be a consideration.

The biggest difference at the moment is price.. and a lot of the difference is the "new mode" premium on the X-T1.
  • The X-Pro1 has a dual optical/electronic viewfinder and is a rangefinder style body.
  • The X-T1 has electronic viewfinder only, but it's a larger and higher specification version, and is better optimised for autofocus tracking of moving targets. There are also some firmware optimisations in the X-T1 that aren't available in the X-Pro1. The body style is baby-SLR rather than rangefinder.
I bought the X-Pro1 at New Year, I haven't found reason to regret this since the X-T1 was announced/released. For the price of a new X-T1 body I bought a new X-Pro1 with three lenses. If you're new to the Fuji X-system that might be a consideration.
Thanks. Yes, I see it's a bit more than a grand, plus the lenses, so would work out a fair bit more. I was looking at the Cameraworld offer, camera, plus 18mm lens, 16gb card, grip(£70 worth) and extra battery, plus the deal has been extended for the free extra lens until the end of March.

You'll find plenty of discussion on that deal in this thread. The main deals on the X-Pro1 have been those from Cameraworld, Amazon and WEX. Depending whether your preference was for the grip, best price without extras, or a free Hadley.

The Fuji refurbished store has also had some excellent deals, and there's a code further up the thread that gives an extra 10% (fully warranty, official refurb X-Pro1 for £450 - link).

Last edited:

Its actually not really a higher spec, it just has the MK2 sensor & processing engine and though these allow some refinements such as split image focus aid and the hardware has the ability to accept a microphone & electric cable release, not everyone, myself included is convinced the MK2 sensor & engine is an improvement over the MK1 when it comes to iQ.

NB - I received my refurb X-Pro1 the other day, not a mark on it, clean as a whistle, latest firmware pre installed as well.

Last edited:
You'll find plenty of discussion on that deal in this thread. The main deals on the X-Pro1 have been those from Cameraworld, Amazon and WEX. Depending whether your preference was for the grip, best price without extras, or a free Hadley.

The Fuji refurbished store has also had some excellent deals, and there's a code further up the thread that gives an extra 10% (fully warranty, official refurb X-Pro1 for £450 - link).
Thanks for that. Looked at the refurb, and it's £500, £600 with the grip, plus a lens is £300, so that's £800 or £900. The cameraworld deal is all that, plus a spare battery and card for £950, plus I'm not sure if the refurb can use the free extra lens deal.

Thanks for that. Looked at the refurb, and it's £500, £600 with the grip, plus a lens is £300, so that's £800 or £900. The cameraworld deal is all that, plus a spare battery and card for £950, plus I'm not sure if the refurb can use the free extra lens deal.

The free lens is not available on the refurb

Photoninja I've found does a better job and has embedded profiles for the X range of camera's and lenses.
Thanks, but at $129, I'll give it a miss! Not saying it's not good, but I have more than enough software, it's not long ago I bought LR5, so if that does the job, I'll stick with that. I also use Capture One, I think I read that handles the Fuji files as well.

Yeah I think its only worth going the refurb route if you already have a big chunk of the system. But its great for extra lenses or a cheeky x100s (which is what I did)

Its actually not really a higher spec

The EVF is higher spec in the X-T1. I was very careful with my punctuation.

Less the extra 10% gets you to £450, and then you can get two lenses with the £300 cash-back (one of which doesn't have to be the 18mm - or go refurb on the lenses as well).. .. it's an alternative option that'sin the same ballpark. With or without the grip, with or without the 18mm.

Ive abandoned my canon 5d2 and 5dc with 35l and 135l for an xpro1 with 18, 35 and 60 and an x100s. Likewise much win occurred in this swap

I have the 5DMK1, Mk2 and currently the MK3, along with a pile of lenses including 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-40L, 50 and 100 macro, extender, tripods etc and as I'm getting to be an old fogey, the bag is getting heavy! ATM, I have no intention of ditching the Canon kit, but if the fuji is as good as you guys say, who knows, never say never!

Last edited:
:)

I think it must just be the lens/camera combo, my 23mm can be noisy

How are you finding the 23mm Simon? I was deliberating selling the X100 to fund a 23mm. Effectively I wouldn't need both if I had the 23mm lens.

Part exchanged the 18mm at Wex for the 18-55 yesterday. Something been wanting to do. The part ex price was pretty decent to be fair. 14, 18-55 and 35 is pretty much spot on for me now. Other than the 23mm if I sell the X100

Got myself the 55-200mm xf zoom yesterday. It was also the first opportunity I had to get out with my x-pro 1. All I can say is "wow". The IQ with this camera is awesome, I selected velvia for some scenery pics and it's amazing. View attachment 6924
I got the zoom in the afternoon so I only had a short time to try it out, it's incredibly sharp, easily on a par with my Canon 70-300mm L

View attachment 6925

The reason I didn't have much time was because I had to drive back to Calumet, where I bought the kit, because there seems to be an excessive amount of play on the lens mount. This is more noticeable on the zoom as the zoom ring is very stiff. The play isn't as noticeable on the 18mm obviously as it's a prime there's no need to be moving anything other than the focus ring.
Back at Calumet I tried a different lens on my body, a different body on my lens and finally both zooms on an xe-1, the amount of play was exactly the same everytime ! When zooming from 55mm to 200mm there is an audible clunk as the lens moves in the mount. Has anyone else experienced this ? I'm going to give Fuji a ring tomorrow and see what they say. It doesn't inspire confidence that a camera at this price range has such badly fitting lenses.

So who has now dropped their DSLR system in favour of the X-Pro 1?

I have now disposed of all my Nikon kit after selling my D3/24-70 today to a mate who has been after it for ages.

So my kit is now 2 x X-Pro 1's + 14mm + 18mm + 35mm + 18-55mm + 60mm (soon to be a 56mm when they land) + EF-20 flash.

I am happy with the IQ for the stuff I shoot and so are my clients, I am also ££££'s in front after selling all my Nikon FF kit, win win situation for me.. (y)

I'm keeping my 7D's for sports, but there'll be a 2nd X-Pro1 arriving this week, which will leave my main wedding and portrait kit as 2x X-Pro1s, 18mm, 35mm, 60mm and Samyang 85mm f1.4. I shot a wedding yesterday with my Canon kit and X-Pro1 and the majority of shots were taken on the Fuji. IQ is spot-on for my needs, without the extra weight and bulk of a DSLR system.

I'm looking at getting the 18-55 from the refurb shop, does anyone know of any recent discount codes?
I got a price of £350 so far.........:)

Last edited:
How are you finding the 23mm Simon? I was deliberating selling the X100 to fund a 23mm. Effectively I wouldn't need both if I had the 23mm lens.

Part exchanged the 18mm at Wex for the 18-55 yesterday. Something been wanting to do. The part ex price was pretty decent to be fair. 14, 18-55 and 35 is pretty much spot on for me now. Other than the 23mm if I sell the X100

A hard one,l like the 23mm and its fast aperture, but its not as light as the x100,so I would say if you can afford it buy 23mm and keep the x100 for when you just want to carry something light :)

I don't think there are discount codes for refurb lenses (though I would like to be proved wrong!).

If you would consider buying used let me know and see if I can beat your best quote. I have an 18-55 that I won't use once my 56mm arrives (tomorrow, all being well). We can do it legitimately through the classifieds, of course. MPB are pretty competitive too, of course.

Ok, you got my attention......I just had a look at MPB and they're not too shabby a price either, £309 for instance

A hard one,l like the 23mm and its fast aperture, but its not as light as the x100,so I would say if you can afford it buy 23mm and keep the x100 for when you just want to carry something light :)

Yeah it's quite a hefty size. I might just keep the X100 in that case rather than have more gear haha it looks a pretty stellar lens however

Yeah it's quite a hefty size. I might just keep the X100 in that case rather than have more gear haha it looks a pretty stellar lens however

The 23mm delivers sharper images at 1.4 than even the x100s delivers at f2 if that makes any difference. Image quality all round is better. I have both and tested alongside, the 23mm is fantastic.

I got the zoom in the afternoon so I only had a short time to try it out, it's incredibly sharp, easily on a par with my Canon 70-300mm L

wow! .. i have the 70-300"L" and its fantastic .. looks like i will be buying into this system sooner rather than later

My 55-200 should be here early next week - looking forward to its arrival! Still not take the XPro1 out for a wander but am looking forward to using it in anger. Can't wait for the 60mm as well - got to wait a couple of weeks until I can send off for that and the 2 lens cashback. The whole kit will fit nicely in my old LowePro Nova4 shoulder bag and will be light enough to not be a burden on a shoulder. Have to admit that it tickles me slightly knowing that the lens series is the same as my car model!

Got myself the 55-200mm xf zoom yesterday. It was also the first opportunity I had to get out with my x-pro 1. All I can say is "wow". The IQ with this camera is awesome, I selected velvia for some scenery pics and it's amazing. View attachment 6924

View attachment 6925

The reason I didn't have much time was because I had to drive back to Calumet, where I bought the kit, because there seems to be an excessive amount of play on the lens mount. This is more noticeable on the zoom as the zoom ring is very stiff. The play isn't as noticeable on the 18mm obviously as it's a prime there's no need to be moving anything other than the focus ring.
Back at Calumet I tried a different lens on my body, a different body on my lens and finally both zooms on an xe-1, the amount of play was exactly the same everytime ! When zooming from 55mm to 200mm there is an audible clunk as the lens moves in the mount. Has anyone else experienced this ? I'm going to give Fuji a ring tomorrow and see what they say. It doesn't inspire confidence that a camera at this price range has such badly fitting lenses.

I have just tried mine and there is slight play when lens is mounted, but nothing of note when altering the zoom. The zoom ring on mine is firm, as in new, and will probably lossen up with use?

If I remeber, Chris, AKA UKASKEW had some problems with his zoom clunking and it was from a early batch when the lens first came out. PM him and he may be a ble to help and advise.

Last edited:
I have just tried mine and there is slight play when lens is mounted, but nothing of note when altering the zoom. The zoom ring on mine is firm, as in new, and will probably lossen up with use?

If I remeber, Chris, AKA UKASKEW had some problems with his zoom clunking and it was from a early batch when the lens first came out. PM him and he may be a ble to help and advise.
I had the 55-200 and I did notice a small amount of movement (as there seems to be with all the lenses) but I cannot recall any clunk when zooming out. As the OP suggests, a phone call to Fuji might put his mind at rest.

How are you getting on with things Simon now that you have all your kit sorted? What's your favourite lens?

Hi Mike,

I didn't reconize you with your new avator. Is that a old 635 series?

I like the 35mm, it's super sharp and it's pocketable for me to take to the football. We had a Thursday night UEFA game with Napoli a couple of weeks ago and the performance of the lens in low light was astonishing. I dont think the 55-200 is to far behind when I tried them both at Mumbles on the Saturday after the Napoli game. The 16-50 is there if I need to take some indoor shots for ebay listings.

My only slight dissapointment with the 55-200 is the range doesn't alter in OV as I prefer to use this compared to EVF. I feel as if my eye takes a while to adjust after using the EVF, I would say it's like mild arc eye. I will take this up with my optician when I have my next appointment in May.

Have you bought your new lens, was it going to tbe the 23 or 56mm ??

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I didn't reconise you with your new avator. Is that a old 635 series?

I like the 35mm, it's super sharp and it's pocketable for me to take to the football. We had a Thursday night UEFA game with Napoli a couple of weeks ago and the performance of the lens in low light was astonishing. I dont think the 55-200 is to far behind when I tried them both at Mumbles on the Saturday after the Napoli game. The 16-50 is there if I need to take some indoor shots for ebay listings.

My only slight dissapointment with the 55-200 is the range doesn't alter in OV as I prefer to use this compared to EVF. I feel as if my eye takes a while to adjust after using the EVF, I would say it's like mild arc eye. I will take this up with my optician when I have my next appointment in May.

Have you bought your new lens, was it going to tbe the 23 or 56mm ??

Hi Simon, the car is my classic 1976 BMW 2002.
I was going to get the 23mm but I have to tell you I am so impressed with the 35mm and the 18-55 I may not bother. I read a blog somewhere the other day which compared the IQ at 23 mm on the 18-55 against the actual 23mm lens and to be honest there wasn't that much in it. The 35mm is incredible at low light, much much better than my 14mm which of course is only f2.8.

I see what you mean about the bright EVF. Maybe you could rig up a filter for the eyepiece out of an old pair of sunglasses which you could slip over the eyepiece to cut the glare?

Last edited:
Back