The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Thanks :) Unusually, I put the camera away after this shot and just stood watching the sunset with the wee ones - it was nice to just 'switch-off' and enjoy the moment with them.

Well, for better or worse, I've just bitten the bullet and pulled the trigger (if that's not mixing metaphors too much) on an X-Pro1!

It took me a couple of days to read all the posts in this thread, and then track back the deals people talked about. Having compared the options with my needs, I've ended up buying from Clifton Cameras. With the 18mm included at £899, I've added the 35mm as well - hoping to get the £100 cash-back on that and then get the 60mm as the freebie. I've taken advantage of their 0% option with a 50% deposit. I could have just paid, but thought I might as well spread the cost. I'm please with the deal.

It's been a while since I've felt truly inspired to get out and shoot, just for the sake of it, but now I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Well, for better or worse, I've just bitten the bullet and pulled the trigger (if that's not mixing metaphors too much) on an X-Pro1!

It took me a couple of days to read all the posts in this thread, and then track back the deals people talked about. Having compared the options with my needs, I've ended up buying from Clifton Cameras. With the 18mm included at £899, I've added the 35mm as well - hoping to get the £100 cash-back on that and then get the 60mm as the freebie. I've taken advantage of their 0% option with a 50% deposit. I could have just paid, but thought I might as well spread the cost. I'm please with the deal.

It's been a while since I've felt truly inspired to get out and shoot, just for the sake of it, but now I'm really looking forward to it.
Great choice Bob, and you have some great lenses too. The 18 and 35 are fantastic. On a personal recommendation you can cover both lengths with the brilliant 18-55 zoom as a walkaround lens. :)

Nice deal,lovely camera enjoy :)

Great choice Bob, and you have some great lenses too. The 18 and 35 are fantastic. On a personal recommendation you can cover both lengths with the brilliant 18-55 zoom as a walkaround lens. :)

:ty:

Mike!! I really don't need you suggesting I spend MORE money!!!!
Well, not yet anyway!! ;)

To be honest, it's almost a shame that there are any deal on anything other than the 18mm, or I'd have been tempted by the 18-55. Still, Christmas isn't far away, and my family are always looking for ideas :D

I suspect the 35 will become the "default" lens. I think I've always had a 50mm (or equivalent) for all the cameras I've had down the years - the Canon 1.4 was terrific on my 5D, even my old Tessar f/2.8 on my original Praktica LTL3.

I'm so impressed with the support Fuji seem to be ploughing into the X system.

Clearly it'll take some getting used to, but I've played with a X100 previously so the styling won't be so foreign, and learning a new set of controls and what the camera is capable of is part of the buzz.

I'm looking forward most to trying out the b&w options. I'm surprised how many people seem to shoot b&w "in-camera", rather than shoot colour & pp into b&w. Some of the results I;ve seen have been simply stunning.

:ty:

Mike!! I really don't need you suggesting I spend MORE money!!!!
Well, not yet anyway!! ;)

To be honest, it's almost a shame that there are any deal on anything other than the 18mm, or I'd have been tempted by the 18-55. Still, Christmas isn't far away, and my family are always looking for ideas :D

I suspect the 35 will become the "default" lens. I think I've always had a 50mm (or equivalent) for all the cameras I've had down the years - the Canon 1.4 was terrific on my 5D, even my old Tessar f/2.8 on my original Praktica LTL3.

I'm so impressed with the support Fuji seem to be ploughing into the X system.

Clearly it'll take some getting used to, but I've played with a X100 previously so the styling won't be so foreign, and learning a new set of controls and what the camera is capable of is part of the buzz.

I'm looking forward most to trying out the b&w options. I'm surprised how many people seem to shoot b&w "in-camera", rather than shoot colour & pp into b&w. Some of the results I;ve seen have been simply stunning.

You could wait till the new 16-55 F2.8 is out :D

Anyone thinking of getting some 52mm ND filters for their 35 and 18mm lenses check this ebay listing out. £50 for 3, 6 and 10 stop Haida filters which I'm sure some of you are aware are very good budget filters.

I bought some yesterday at around mid day and they arrived this morning.

Last edited:
My 14 day wait is almost over so I'm going to apply for my free lens today, I think I'll go for the 35mm or the 60mm can't make my mind up though, what's the better lens ? I was thinking the 35mm as a walkaround lens for holidays etc

Where does this 14 day wait come ? I have not seen any information anywhere, but I don't count what you are saying.

Where does this 14 day wait come ? I have not seen any information anywhere, but I don't count what you are saying.

It's in the terms and conditions of the free lens deal.

I had my £300.00 cheque today for two lens purchase. I waited the 14 days before sending, it then took 9 working days for cheque to show up.

I picked up an X-pro 1 in January with the free 35mm (this thread has a lot to answer for! ;)), but had little chance to use it besides reading through all this thread and learning as much as possible... thanks for posting all the great info/help. Last weekend I finally got chance to get out and about with it, it only needs a small corner of my camera bag, its even more fun than I expected to use and the quality is fantastic! (but you all already know that)

I went to a couple of spots, setup the Canon gear on the tripod for the main planned shots as usual, and then just wandered around with the Fuji getting secondary/detail shots. I enjoyed it more, and came back with more images than I have for a long time... getting this little camera/lens is the best decision I've made in a long time. :D

A couple of the shots I wouldn't normally have got.....

fleetwood_shipwreck-10
by D_M_J, on Flickr

cleveleys_beach-1
by D_M_J, on Flickr

Still not familiar enough with the system/menu/button layout when swapping between the two and I need to avoid the temptation of more lenses! Apart from that, Very Happy.
David.

Just got my free 60mm today. Sent it off last Wednesday so that was quick. Its a beauty and the focusing seems more than adequate with the latest firmware

If anyone else is thinking of joining the ship, do so before the end of this month (March 2014). I comunicated with Fuji yesterday and they are planning for the offers to finish this month.

Regrettably, I join my next ship In April next moth and will be away at sea for four months. Sadly, no TP for me as there is no wifi on the ship and the internet is painstakingly slow. Ok for emails though.

Hopefully my free 35mm will turn up before I go, still very tempted to go for the £300 cash back on two lenses, that's an entirely different deal though. I wonder how many people sitting on the fence about the X-Pro 1 were swayed by it?

Last edited:
I wonder how many people sitting on the fence about the X-Pro 1 were swayed by it?
Me for one. I'm picking mine up on Tuesday so hoping I can get my free lens & cash back offers sent off before the cut-off for claims.

Quick question to anyone else who's claimed these recently:

The Ts & Cs say for the free lens and cash back you have to send the original till receipt. I'm concerned I may not get it back from the first claim in time to send it for the other. I may ask the retailer if they'll give me separate receipt for the camera/18mm and the 35mm.

Last edited:
I think you have until the end of April to send it in so should be no prob. If you can get the extra receipt though it should be quicker

I'm another who was helped over the X-Pro edge by the current deals. Posted my vouchers this morning (recorded delivery) so hoping for the 60mm and £300 cheque before too long.

In the 2 weeks I've had the X-Pro, I've taken more shots with it than I did on the D800 (which financed it) in the 12 months I had it. Loving using it and the results I can get from it. Finding a few limitations but I was expecting to. No great surprises other than nice little features in use!

Me for one. I'm picking mine up on Tuesday so hoping I can get my free lens & cash back offers sent off before the cut-off for claims.

Quick question to anyone else who's claimed these recently:

The Ts & Cs say for the free lens and cash back you have to send the original till receipt. I'm concerned I may not get it back from the first claim in time to send it for the other. I may ask the retailer if they'll give me separate receipt for the camera/18mm and the 35mm.

Got mine back both times,with no problems :)

I think you have until the end of April to send it in so should be no prob. If you can get the extra receipt though it should be quicker
Cheers - that was my thinking... :)

.... Posted my vouchers this morning (recorded delivery) so hoping for the 60mm and £300 cheque before too long.

So - did you have 2 receipts? One for the body/18mm (presumably to get the 60mm), then one for buying 2 lenses (to get the £300 cash back)?

I'm another who was helped over the X-Pro edge by the current deals. Posted my vouchers this morning (recorded delivery) so hoping for the 60mm and £300 cheque before too long.

In the 2 weeks I've had the X-Pro, I've taken more shots with it than I did on the D800 (which financed it) in the 12 months I had it. Loving using it and the results I can get from it. Finding a few limitations but I was expecting to. No great surprises other than nice little features in use!

I'd be very interested to hear you opinion on the XP1 v the D800 i'm considering a similar move myself.

Please post some pics as soon as you get chance. These are 2 lenses I'm very interested in.

here you go, a couple of quick snaps of tonight's sunset on the way home (adjustments in Capture One, minimal post processing):

DCO00101_2400.jpg

14mm with a cheap 10 stop filter - f8 20s exposure (needed to be much longer but was only testing quality and colour)

DCO00104_2400.jpg

Samyang 8mm fisheye - f5.6 1/30s

I'm another who has been looking at these deals and from reading the last few posts i get the impression that if I get the body then add the 18mm at time of buying for an extra 70 pounds I will then be able to claim a free lens (27/35/60) and then claim back 300 hundred pounds???????

Or do you have to buy an extra lens on top as well?

Last edited:
I'm another who has been looking at these deals and from reading the last few posts i get the impression that if I get the body then add the 18mm at time of buying for an extra 70 pounds I will then be able to claim a free lens (27/35/60) and then claim back 300 hundred pounds???????

You have to buy 2 lenses separately to get the cash back. 1 lens - £100, 2 lenses £300

So - did you have 2 receipts? One for the body/18mm (presumably to get the 60mm), then one for buying 2 lenses (to get the £300 cash back)?

Yup, got the chap in the shop to do me 2 receipts - one for the body and 18 (made out to my wife) and the one for the 2 zooms made out to me. In the Ts&Cs on the back of the forms, it says that you can't use the offers in conjunction with other offers, although since they were effectively 2 different deals, I can't see there being any conflicts! I got the 2 receipts to speed things up.

ChrisM, they're quite different animals (as I'm sure you know!) I originally bought the D800 to give me extra crop "headroom" since I like to print to A3. In the meantime though, I bought myself a Nikon V1 and the FT1 adaptor so I can use my SLR lenses on a 2.7x crop body in a FAR lighter package than the D800! I still have a D700 and all the lenses and have no plans to dispose of them for the time being! Uncropped images from the D800 and the X-Pro1 would be hard to tell apart from one another. The biggest (or should that be smallest?) advantage of the X-Pro over the Nikon is the size/weight, although the quality of the lenses is pretty bloody good too!

Julian, as Andy's just said, the free lens is a send away deal and the cashback is another send away deal - you need to send the original receipts (showing serial numbers) off to Fuji to redeem the vouchers.

Well, nothing lost for dreaming. Now what combination to go for?

If you want the 60mm macro at some point go for that as its the most expensive. If your unsure or you won't be able to get the 35 soonish, go for that as its definitely a lens you wouldn't want to be without imho

Julian, I had a good long think and ended up choosing the 2 zooms - 18-55 and 55-200 which give me the 35mm EFL of (close enough to) 27-80 and 80-300. I know that gives me 2 18mm options but the prime is so small and light that it'll slip into a coat pocket and being f/2 is reasonably fast too. I went for the 60mm Macro as the free lens and am looking forward to it coming - EFL of that one is 90mm, a length I'm used to on other bodies. It's not a "real" Macro (IIRC it's 1:2 not 1:1) but should be enough for my modest needs - if I need real Macro, I can go back to the D700 and 105mm Nikkor!

Quick test shot with the 60mm handheld at ISO 6400 so not very scientific. It won't be a big file as I'm on the android app but hey ho. Needless to say the quality of the lens is amazing

Last edited:

Cameraworld for example are doing a X-Pro 1, grip, 16 GB SDHC and spare battery for just shy of £1000. This includes a free 18mm lens plus the choice of a 27,35 or 60mm lens.

Other Fuji offers include £100 cash back of various lenses or £300 cash back when you buy two lenses

Offer ends 31st March

Thanks for the helpful replies as always. I did want to steer clear of zooms (for no huge reason) and i was thinking of the 35 and 60 on top of the 18, I very rarely feel the need for anything equivalently longer these days.

Back