The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Thanks for the helpful replies as always. I did want to steer clear of zooms (for no huge reason) and i was thinking of the 35 and 60 on top of the 18, I very rarely feel the need for anything equivalently longer these days.

The 18-55mm F2.8 is worth considering. Metal construction and optically sound with very crisp results. Why not take a SDD card to a local shop and take a few images with a few different lenses to try them out? You can look at them at home before making your final choice.

The 18-55mm F2.8 is worth considering. Metal construction and optically sound with very crisp results. Why not take a SDD card to a local shop and take a few images with a few different lenses to try them out? You can look at them at home before making your final choice.
Was in Birmingham looking on friday with mixed results and I'm not sure I will be able to get to another shop before end of March or even if I will have any better luck. (nobody had a xpro 1) Think I will be relying on some extensive reading and pointers like the above, Thanks.

Last edited:
I went for the 35 as my free lens, was very tempted by the 60 but have plenty of macro kit with my nikon gear, for portraits I'm going to see how I get on with the 35 but am considering the 56, main thing holding me back is that I have a nikon 85/1.4 that gathers dust

For me the biggest difference between the XP1 and my D800E is how I use them, the nikon comes out for commercial shoots (reality sadly is that customer perspective plays a part and they like to see big and expensive), or for a specific project whereas the fuji is my daily carry and gives me freedom (and enjoyment) by being smaller and allowing me to shake off the photographer image that goes with big kit

Only just picked up an xpro this weekend (cheers chris) and with the 60 the focussing is very fast, seems a barn door faster than xe1/60 combo.

Love it so far, although using the optical finder takes some getting used to with the parallax correct thingy

Doing my best to read/scan through the 50 odd pages here, have the issues regarding the incompatability between macs /sd card/ slow turn on been resolved?

Only just picked up an xpro this weekend (cheers chris) and with the 60 the focussing is very fast, seems a barn door faster than xe1/60 combo.

Love it so far, although using the optical finder takes some getting used to with the parallax correct thingy

I like the fact that the X-Pro has a proper OVF but keep finding that I'm switching to the OVF to avoid the parallax problem. Looking forward to the 60mm's arrival.

Doing my best to read/scan through the 50 odd pages here, have the issues regarding the incompatability between macs /sd card/ slow turn on been resolved?

I got the X100 in the early days and loved it but it had it's failings, and when the X Pro 1 was released as much as I liked it the poor manual focus support put me off, seeing how much my X100 improved with firmware updates and once focus peaking was implemented my interest in the X Pro 1 returned and with the recent offers it just felt rude not to. I'm using a mac, lexar pro cards, and compared to the x100 the turn on seems to be pretty much instant (well, quick enough not to annoy me anyway)

I did have concerns with raw conversion and maybe would continue to do so a little if I were to use Lightroom but as a Capture One user I'm more than happy :)

ChrisM, they're quite different animals (as I'm sure you know!) I originally bought the D800 to give me extra crop "headroom" since I like to print to A3. In the meantime though, I bought myself a Nikon V1 and the FT1 adaptor so I can use my SLR lenses on a 2.7x crop body in a FAR lighter package than the D800! I still have a D700 and all the lenses and have no plans to dispose of them for the time being! Uncropped images from the D800 and the X-Pro1 would be hard to tell apart from one another. The biggest (or should that be smallest?) advantage of the X-Pro over the Nikon is the size/weight, although the quality of the lenses is pretty bloody good too!

Thanks Nod, I did have one way back in 2012 when it first came out and loved its size and the IQ but I was comparing to an Olympus EM5 back then, I sold it because at the time the AF was woeful.
I understand now that with the various firmware upgrades since then that its been vastly improved although I appreciate I would be leaving the stunning 51 point AF on my D800.

Really just looking for something smaller that takes stunning images, I don't see the point in having a camera if I can't take it with me and I do carry the D800 (usually with my Sigma 35mm f1.4) all the time but sometimes I'd prfer something smaller in my bag, the X-Pro 1 with the 23mm f1.4 would be a cracking substitute (even carrying say the 18mm, 35mm & 60mm alongside!

I've been considering just picking up a light zoom like the Nikon 24-85 VR and see if that would do in terms of cutting back weight while keeping the D800 but I'm not sure!

I thought I'd share a few shots from todays' pre-wedding shoot. All shot with an X-Pro1 and either 35mm or 60mm macro lenses.

and my favourite so far is this one

Does anyone shoot the XP1 alongside an X100? Or has anyone swapped the X100 in favour of the XP1? I have to admit, since using the XPro more, I tend to reach for this over the X100. Especially with the 35mm. After a recent trip out I found 23mm wasn't quite enough and kept saying to myself "I wish I had the 35mm" This is making me wonder whether to sell up the X100 but I don't know if I would regret it later on.

Does anyone shoot the XP1 alongside an X100? Or has anyone swapped the X100 in favour of the XP1? I have to admit, since using the XPro more, I tend to reach for this over the X100. Especially with the 35mm. After a recent trip out I found 23mm wasn't quite enough and kept saying to myself "I wish I had the 35mm" This is making me wonder whether to sell up the X100 but I don't know if I would regret it later on.

I've got an x100s and x-pro1 and think I will use them both. Only just bought them so can't be too definite. However I did take the 2 for portraits and only used the xpro1 with the 35mm. Admittedly that is different than general shooting

I've got an x100s and x-pro1 and think I will use them both. Only just bought them so can't be too definite. However I did take the 2 for portraits and only used the xpro1 with the 35mm. Admittedly that is different than general shooting

I think if I had the X100S I would think different - it's a lot faster and feels more accessible because of that. If 23mm was something I really wanted/missed then I could either get the 23mm 1.4 or use the 23mm on the 18-55. Granted though that it wouldn't be F2 - again, size does come into this though.
The X100 and XP1 are a good combination to have and are 2 different machines IMO. The cameras I reach for (digital) are either the XP1 or 5Dc however most of the time which is what made me consider chopping the X100.

Yup, got the chap in the shop to do me 2 receipts - one for the body and 18 (made out to my wife) and the one for the 2 zooms made out to me. In the Ts&Cs on the back of the forms, it says that you can't use the offers in conjunction with other offers, although since they were effectively 2 different deals, I can't see there being any conflicts! I got the 2 receipts to speed things up..

Thanks - I'm picking mine up tomorrow :banana: and have emailed the store asking if they'll do this. If they don't, and I fall foul, I'll get the free 60mm, and if I don't get the £100 on the 35mm - well, it's not the end of the world, in the scheme of what I'm spending... and, from what I've read, the 35mm is worth every penny of it's asking price.

Anyone know of any good replacement lens hoods for the 35mm 1.4? The rubber cap on the end of this funny looking thing is driving me mad! :mad:

Last edited:
Well, I'm in the club (so to speak).

Picked up the camera & 2 lenses today from the very helpful guys at Clifton Cameras in Dursley. They gave me 2 receipts and a claim form for the free lens and one for the cash back.

I've charged the battery and updated the f/w on the body & 2 lenses (well, the 35mm was already at the right level, so that was a bonus). Too dark to get out today, but I'll try to get a couple of shots done tomorrow. Gives me a change to look at the book and fiddle with the buttons, wheels & menus.

Well, I'm in the club (so to speak).

Picked up the camera & 2 lenses today from the very helpful guys at Clifton Cameras in Dursley. They gave me 2 receipts and a claim form for the free lens and one for the cash back.

I've charged the battery and updated the f/w on the body & 2 lenses (well, the 35mm was already at the right level, so that was a bonus). Too dark to get out today, but I'll try to get a couple of shots done tomorrow. Gives me a change to look at the book and fiddle with the buttons, wheels & menus.
This is a good place to start for settings on the X Pro 1 http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...E9gHYD_YsX-lBsgf1PK0m1w&bvm=bv.62922401,d.d2k

Thanks Mike. I've had a quick scan through that article and it looks really useful - I'll go back and study it closer and may just adopt KM's settings as a starter for 10 and then see what works for me (or not).

Well, that was even quicker than I was expecting! Posted both claim forms off on 15th March and have just received a shiny new 60mm through City Link (good job we were in...)

Well done, Fuji. Hope the cheque's not far behind!

So......

I'm filling out my claim forms - the free lens one is no problem, got the body & 18mm lens.

Then I come to the cash back one - The thought strikes me, I've bought an 18mm & a 35mm so can I claim for both and get £300? I know the T&Cs say they can only be used for one offer, but they go to different places.

I could give them a bell to check, but I'm just wondering if anyone's done this, or am I chancing my arm too much?

So......

I'm filling out my claim forms - the free lens one is no problem, got the body & 18mm lens.

Then I come to the cash back one - The thought strikes me, I've bought an 18mm & a 35mm so can I claim for both and get £300? I know the T&Cs say they can only be used for one offer, but they go to different places.

I could give them a bell to check, but I'm just wondering if anyone's done this, or am I chancing my arm too much?

No you cant. That would be applying 2x promotions, they will decline.

Been reading this blog http://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/fuji/x-pro1-best-settings.html and very good it is too. One thing I picked up on, was using the AE/AF L button for back button focusing, I had a quick go using this configuration last night with my just arrived free 35mm.
It takes a bit of getting used to , but I think I'll perservere with it, I think it'll make the XP1 more fun to use.
Does anyone else here have their XP1 set up this way ?

Great choice Bob, and you have some great lenses too. The 18 and 35 are fantastic. On a personal recommendation you can cover both lengths with the brilliant 18-55 zoom as a walkaround lens. :)
I was toying with buying the 18-55 if I can pick one up for the right price. How is the IQ on it ? I have the 55-200 and I'm well impressed with the IQ, I used it at the recent Ireland Italy 6 nations game, got some good shots, but I missed a few as well due to the AF, it takes a bit of getting used to after using my Canon 5D3

No you cant. That would be applying 2x promotions, they will decline.
Thanks - I thought as much.. I'll stop being greedy and go for the £100..... :ty:

I was toying with buying the 18-55 if I can pick one up for the right price. How is the IQ on it ? I have the 55-200 and I'm well impressed with the IQ, I used it at the recent Ireland Italy 6 nations game, got some good shots, but I missed a few as well due to the AF, it takes a bit of getting used to after using my Canon 5D3

The 18-55mm is a great little lens,very good IQ but it's only F4 at its longest length,if that's not a problem go for it.
Also their are a couple of others lens due soon 16-55mm F2.8 & 18-135mm I think that's going to be F3.5 to F5.6.

:)

In my gallery, there's a shot of a gorilla taken inside in very little light. Since it's still a new toy, I'm playing with it's extreme capabilities so whacked the ISO all the way up. It'll never win any cleanliness awards BUT it's a useable shot.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/3165/

For anyone with an IPad, Fuji have produced a fantastic app for XP1 users. Essentially it's a guide book to the XP1, how to use it, lenses, gallery and even a guide to using Silkypix. It's well worth installing (IMHO) and it's free.

Cameraworld for example are doing a X-Pro 1, grip, 16 GB SDHC and spare battery for just shy of £1000. This includes a free 18mm lens plus the choice of a 27,35 or 60mm lens.

Other Fuji offers include £100 cash back of various lenses or £300 cash back when you buy two lenses

Offer ends 31st March

Yes, that's the deal I went for, still waiting for the second lens, 35mm, been a few weeks so far but it says allow up to 30 days.

Been reading this blog http://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/fuji/x-pro1-best-settings.html and very good it is too. One thing I picked up on, was using the AE/AF L button for back button focusing, I had a quick go using this configuration last night with my just arrived free 35mm.
It takes a bit of getting used to , but I think I'll perservere with it, I think it'll make the XP1 more fun to use.
Does anyone else here have their XP1 set up this way ?

Yes, set it up immediately I got it as my 5D MK2 and Mk3 have been set up this way. Give it a short while and it'll become second nature, I never even think about it now, it's automatic.

Anyone know of any good replacement lens hoods for the 35mm 1.4? The rubber cap on the end of this funny looking thing is driving me mad! :mad:

It's not just me then! I've only used the camera about 6 times so far, and have lost the rubber cap at least 4 times, had to walk back about a mile recently to find it! Being rubber, you don't even hear it drop.

It's not just me then! I've only used the camera about 6 times so far, and have lost the rubber cap at least 4 times, had to walk back about a mile recently to find it! Being rubber, you don't even hear it drop.
Same thing happened to me, so now I don't bother with a lens cap, I've a decent UV filter fitted so I know the front element of the lens will be OK.

Yes, that's the deal I went for, still waiting for the second lens, 35mm, been a few weeks so far but it says allow up to 30 days.

waiting on the free 35mm here too - bought the 14mm (refurb direct from fuji) and the Samyang 8mm so along with the 18mm I'm well sorted for wide angle just hungry to have standard sorted

have also bought a jupiter-8 and an L39 adapter, looking forward to playing with that

...and I'm finding myself looking at 56mm reviews far too often

Mine arrived Tuesday(35mm) It came surprisingly quickly, ten days after I posted the paperwork, but then I did wait until 14 days after I bought the kit before I posted it off. I still haven't received my £100 cheque for the cashback deal on the 55-200mm zoom tho.

Back